Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

Roselvr- I bought a b. Makowsky handbag

Thanks to you and your collection! A Delores Hobo. I looked at it online but it looks nothing like the beauty that it is and it's exactly what I want to replace an older tan bag that is kinda worn.

The leather is beautiful and the color is just right- not orangey or too yellowy.

Sadly though, I will save it for when I actually go somewhere other that the grocery store or Lowes so I won't use it often.

For those who want to know- yes, I'm usually one of those types- I bought it at TJMaxx for 129.

Comments (25)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well, I am wrong again. It's the vachetta salerno tote bag. I went and looked at it. And I paid too much for it- it's all over ebay for under a hundred.
    But still a beautiful bag.

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

I'm not Rose, but I'm glad you found a bag you like. Whatever it is called, it sounds beautiful. You saved money on shipping costs; look at it that way, and you have the immediate gratification of taking it home with you asap!

I think you should tote it to the grocery and Lowes! Come on Bumblebeez, you'll wear it well!

I have questions I want to ask you about clothes (being the fashionista that you are, in my mind you're THE go to person.) I won't hijack your handbag thread, will start a new one.

Anyhoo, enjoy your new leather accessory...and use it! If you have time, post a pic...lots of us here would love to see it!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You're such a sweetie, Stinky!
    Don't worry about hijacking a silly thread- ask away.
    I actually do know a lot about fashion not that you would ever know it from looking at me if you ever saw me.
    I read fashion mags and blogs all the time and love to shop. Prefer Fashion tv shows over decorating or cooking ones any day.

But the frugal me would ruin my handbag in a few months if I slung it around like I do with my everyday bags and be disappointed.

• theroselvr
    12 years ago

I agree that you should use the bag! I have not had any issues with mine; I use them every day; the pink hobo I bought in June was used about 6 months straight. I'm pretty sure that bag was at our Marshalls the other day but in stone. They got a bunch in; but for our store a bunch is 5-10. Vachetta is one color I don't own yet; I got close to buying one but lost it on ebay.

I think you did well on price. I just looked on ebay; there were a few under $100 but they are bids; so it could go over what you paid.

I bought a new one a few weeks ago- the skin is very hard to find; its a B Makowsky Zoe Satchel in Gold Snake. I'm not nuts about this bag but finding a python bag is very hard.

The bags I got from QVC a few weeks ago went back. I debated keeping the gray bag but it wouldn't work for me. He was on QVC the other day; I ended up ordering 3 of the same bag in a blue; maroon & silver. Not sure I'll keep any; possible my son will buy one off of me for his GF.

From Bags

Here is a link that might be useful: B. Makowsky Glove Leather Convertible Shoulder Bag w/Studs

• theroselvr
    12 years ago

There is a gal in NJ that sells bags; I've been drooling over her bags- she sells using Bags Unlimited and dannimariefashionfind

Her picasa photo link

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

See Bumblebeez, Rose thinks you did well on price, and she should know, handbag diva that she is!

Thanks for being open to fashion questions. I don't really know where to begin. I think of you whenever I go shopping, in stores or online! What would Bumblebeez get, is what I wonder a lot I suppose! I think we are close in age (I'm 48). I want to dress in an age-appropriate manner.

I really haven't followed trends all my life. I've worn a summer uniform for years of jeans (cute, dark, well-fitting ones I think) and t-shirts (cute, colorful, not baggy blah ones, I think!) Though I'm not "in style," I like to wear "real" clothes and shoes, not jogging suits and sneakers, when I leave the house to go anywhere.

I don't like my arms, so I don't wear short sleeves. I certainly won't go sleevless, and I see a lot of sleevless apparel out there! I wore 3/4's all last summer, even in triple digits and blasting humidity!

Recently I found some elbow-length tees in pretty colors and bought them at JJill. I think this is a good solution for me. I also just bought a few pair of Macy's Style & Co. capris in a very light weight cotton...much more summery than heavy denim. Two pair are black and one khaki. Capris are new for me. Khaki is new for me, as I usually only wear denim or black on the bottom, all year 'round. Also got a pair of "boyfriend" rolled hem jeans with embroidery on the back pockets! (Macy's was having a great sale AND I had a coupon!)

I'm trying to branch out, and incorporate a little more fashion forwardness into my wardrobe. I will expose some of the calf of my leg, but won't wear shorts or short skirts. I'm thinking about getting a couple of long, floaty skirts. I saw a tiered one at Macy's in sort of a pumice color I might go back and try.

FYI, I wear a 6 petite in jeans, and 4 petites and XS's in most everything else. I have long dark hair, don't tan, and am very fair, so I don't have that "beachy" look. I sometimes use self-tanner to give myself a little color!

What are you wearing this summer? What are your "go-to" outfits/shoes/bags? What do you gravitate to, and what you would consider "must haves." What, on the other hand, do you avoid? Does your age factor into your choices? How do you see yourself in terms of your style at this point in time? How would you describe your "look?"

Sorry this was so long. Any answers you feel like providing would be appreciated!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Roselovr, thanks for that link! I looked quickly but will go back and really go through the bags.

Ok, you asked, Stinky! I wrote a book....
    What are you wearing this summer?
    I wear a variety of clothing styles depending on where I am going. Being a different body shape than you, but same age about - I'm 47- though I'm 6' and about a size 10.
    The typical to the grocery store and garden shop is capris or skirt and coordinating top, jewelry and handbag :)
    The thing that makes everything stylish is to not match but only look good together. Separates instead of whole matching outfits. Now, this is much harder than it used to be when stores had matching components next to each other but it is more versatile. Now, some stores do show coordinating items together, of course, but to take it up a notch, you shouldn't do that! One store/catalog that I think is fairly stylish for our age is Garnet Hill. Look at the way they put outfits together. Also Sundance.
    Stay away from Coldwater Creek (matronly) and only look at JJill with a judicious eye. They tend towards drab baggy things. And Eddie Bauer but they are very casual and often too young and wrinkly. Lots of ripstop.
    I'm mentioning these catalogs for at home laptop inspirational ideas.

What are your "go-to" outfits/shoes/bags?
    I keep outfits for every event so I am always ready.
    I do NOT like last minute shopping at all!

This year I have bought a maxi dress from Nordstrom

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/eci-button-front-chiffon-maxi-dress/3165257?origin=category&resultback=4260

and a white, embroidered long tiered cotton, skirt from Jones New York
    and a coordinating tight black print tee to go with it.

I bought other summer things too but these are two new up to date outfits that look good on me and I can wear all summer to casual functions. I could wear the maxi dress to a wedding though but also out to dinner, that type of thing or a baby shower, church, out shopping, to a play.

I wear bronze thong sandals with it.

The skirt and top- the skirt is very full but the top is tight - always one or the other not both- and I could wear anywhere and look polished.

To keep it all age appropriate for my body anyway, and also to not look too young or sad-- the dress lets me wear a bra
    and fits perfectly in a fairly sophisticated print. Not ditsy flowers- that would be too young.

What do you gravitate to,

Ditsy flowers sadly. Clothing meant for 17 year olds. But I don't do it!
    and what you would consider "must haves."
    Current styles in flattering colors that make me happy and are flattering and reasonably comfortable.

What, on the other hand, do you avoid?
    I was in Dillard's yesterday and there are a lot of Boho clothing lines that I do gravitate towards (Free People) but I have to say no these days. Too young looking and I am too curvy for those styles typically. If I can't wear a bra, forget it. If it's too transparent, forget it. Too boxy, or frankly, too common and has no flair, I don't want it. I used to like years ago when it first came out, a line of clothing called One World until I started seeing every other person wearing it! Then I didn't want it anymore.

Does your age factor into your choices?
    I think I covered this. My arms are ok- I use barbells at night while watching tv but my legs are extremely white and usually covered in scratches or bug bites from the yard. So I am uncomfortable in shorter skirts in summer and shorts in public. I would choose another option unless it's required -the beach, out hiking, waterpark, etc.

How do you see yourself in terms of your style at this point in time?
    I am so happy to find something that fits and looks good that I don't worry about style that much. I just enjoy it.
    On a good day, Scott Schuman will not take my picture.
    I'm not funky enough. (or beautiful)

How would you describe your "look?
    Polished, casual, coordinated, up-to-date, attractive if not trend setting, somewhat artsy.

But about you! I think you should look for tops to go with your jeans and capris. Flowly, embellished tunics sound like they would be perfect on you for summer. The three I have bought this spring are sheer but they are dark colors and you can't see anything. They have a fitted waist so aren't boxy. They have 3/4 length sleeves but the sheerness makes them comfortable.
    Look at all the tops in the Sundance catalog. They have some beautiful ones but they are expensive and silk. I prefer something less precious in regards to price and maintenance.

Macys, Dillards, Nordstrom - they all carry similar lines that duplicate that look. It's like decorating- find an inspirational photo and copy it.
    Try some of those voluminous skirts! They're in style right now. The key is keeping the top simple and tight so you're not overwhelmed with material or look bigger than you are.
    A fitted tee, for instance. If it has to be 3/4 length, and you can't find one that fits well- then skip the skirt.

Go with tunics and fitted capris. This year, capris are more tapered that last year and so work well with flowy tops.
    I really like sundresses and have quite a few and wear those around all the time. But it takes effort to find ones that I like have enough coverage.

At some point, you have to start trying one clothes in a store that are complety different from things you have ever worn before. That way, you'll discover new styles that do indeed look good on you- AND stay fresh and up to date.

I keep my clothes forever. This past weekend, I pulled out a sundress I wore to our rehearsal dinner 16 years ago. I have lost weight recently (hence so many new clothes too)
    I wore that dress a lot the summer of 1995- on our honeymoon, etc- but it was a gorgeous, expensive dress that looked great on me.
    I was VERY happy to have it fit perfectly again and still look up to date and fab.

• cooperbailey
    12 years ago

nope. You MUST use your bag- it will wear well since it is well made and give you a heck of a lot more joy on your arm than stuffed in your closet.
    You dont think we all have ultra glam places to go do ya? one of my disappointments with being on crutches since Jan is that I couldnt use my leather Coach bag my DH bought at (gulp) the real Coach store for Christmas.
    It was my everyday bag for just a few weeks and will be again when I get off the crutches! Just touching it gives joy. In line at the grocery- pull out the wallet from the Coach bag- fun, fun.
    I am careful with my things and it is well made so I think it can take everyday use. It will wear out eventually but then so will I, and I will have enjoyed it immensely- no regrets!
    ( oh and I bought a gently used Dooney and Burke leather shoulder bag ( at GW) to use while on crutches- real and much less than new bag at Target so that has been fun too.

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

Wow, Bumblebeez! Thanks SO much for all the great tips, info and ideas! Love it! I'll need to review everything a few times to absorb it all...great!

Had no idea you were so tall! Can I borrow a few inches? I'm just 5ft. 1.5. with a very small frame. Yes, as far as the skirts go I can be "...overwhelmed with material or look bigger..." especially in the hip area!

I absolutely LOVE your dress from Nordstrom! The colors, the fabric, the style, just gorgeous. It's sleeveless, so I couldn't wear it, even if it came in petite sizes. Darn! I'll just have to start lifting barbells like you. It's silly to have to avoid comfortable, attractive clothing because of a little flab on my arms! I think you've inspired me to finally do something about it (I hate to exercise!) If I could wear a dress like that, it would be worth exerting myself for!

Your other dresses sound beautiful too. It must have been fun to wear that dress from 1995 and be right in style last weekend!

Thanks for replying to all my questions so thoughtfully. It was really fun and helpful to read your answers.

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

This is a fun conversation so I'm butting in.

What are you wearing this summer?
    What I hope to be wearing by summer is a smaller size... or at least the clothing I own already, which is a bit snug. I seem to be gaining a pound a week since I turned 46. Seriously, in the summer I prefer a casual cotton skirt with a cute t-shirt. I am short and I have fat legs, so I hate to wear shorts. Avoid them whenever possible. Capris don't do me any favors either, but they're better than shorts. I haven't found any cute/casual skirts yet for this summer, though. In the past I have found them at Garnet Hill, Boden, or Lands End.

What are your "go-to" outfits/shoes/bags?
    Jeans and a top. Because I'm bottom-heavy, I almost always wear dark denim jeans or black pants. Then I wear something colorful on top. I also love jewelry and have lots of it, so I always wear a necklace and earrings. Shoes -- now that it's finally spring, I have been alternating between my two favorite pairs of Joseph Siebel sandals. They're not delicate, strappy sandals -- they're almost like clogs with an open toe.

I love purses and have lots of them. I switch fairly frequently. Right now I'm using a very cute one I bought in Paris (love saying that! LOL) last year. This weekend we're going to NYC so I'll be switching to a smaller, oilcloth cross-body bag.

What do you gravitate to, and what you would consider "must haves." What, on the other hand, do you avoid?

I must have Lucky brand Easy Rider jeans. I have about 4 pairs, and I just brought 2 new pairs to the tailor. They're the only jeans that fit me even remotely well. I also must have black sweatpants -- which I'm usually wearing by dinnertime every night.
    I avoid light colored pants, and most sleeveless tops unless I find one that is just too beautiful to resist. My upper arms are too flabby.

Does your age factor into your choices?
    I guess so. I find myself more and more asking myself "is this matronly?" while shopping (either in stores or looking in my own closet!). I hate the idea of looking like a frumpy mom. I mean, I AM a frumpy mom. I just don't want to look like one.

How do you see yourself in terms of your style at this point in time? How would you describe your "look?"
    My look is always casual and often funky -- more because of my jewelry than my clothing. I tend to wear pretty basic clothes but I have some pretty interesting/artsy jewelry. I also tend to have colorful jackets and purses. My favorite jacket is orange!

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

So glad you chimed in, Sue! It was fun reading about your style. You sound like a very classic dresser who uses adventurous items and colors as accents. Your orange jacket sounds like fun!

I wish you the luck finding your staple summer skirts! Maybe you'll find a few in NYC!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, Cooper, I certainly hope you get all there is out of life. You have been through so much and I hope you get to take your Coach bag somewhere fabulous. That's great that you found a nice D and B bag to actually use all the time without guilt!
    I hope your complete recovery is swift.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I enjoyed your responses too, Sue! Fashion is always fun to me.
    Toning the arms is one exercise that shows quick results and makes you feel like you've accomplished something.
    I'm glad to know at least other women share my view, it must be our generation- no shame in being overweight or untoned as long as it's covered up. When I see women with arms as big as hams wearing sleeveless shirts and short shorts, I am bewildered. Do they not look in the mirror?
    (I'm talking about people who do actually care what they look like- I have a good friend who is very heavy but wears
    skimpy clothing. She's a great person but clueless about her attire.)
    When I was growing up I spent so much time trying on my clothes to find that outfits that made me look the thinnest.

Now, I wish I had the body I despised so much in High School!

• natal
    12 years ago

no shame in being overweight or untoned as long as it's covered up. When I see women with arms as big as hams wearing sleeveless shirts and short shorts, I am bewildered. Do they not look in the mirror?

Ouch! Does that mean burkas are the order of the day for those poor souls with facial wrinkles and sagging skin who can't afford plastic surgery?

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

No burka needed (though I've certainly wished I had one from time to time! I have a story!) if, "Toning the arms is one exercise that shows quick results" Yipee!

I agree that there is something to be said for dressing in a manner that accentuates the positive and de-accentuates the negative!

Last summer the man across the street (attractive, 40-something) the 30-something UPS man, and an older male neighbor, all commented on my attire. They said, "Long sleeves, long pants, aren't you hot?" The UPS man said, "I've decided that you must dress that way because you are worried about sun damage."

"Ha," I said, "You men just want to see all women walking around in as little clothing as possible. I like to leave something to the imagination. Personally, I'm ready for my burka!" That shut them up!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Your skin will thank you Stinky.
    Natal, women who choose to bare everything do have a choice. No one is making them wear that outfit.
    No shame in wrinkles, everyone gets old.

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

I will add that sometimes I am shocked when I see middle-aged me in the mirror, like when walking through a store. I think in my mind's eye, I see myself as I was 10 years ago, and when I see that middle-aged woman in the store mirror, I am shocked to realize it's me! Anyone else have that experience? I also think that when I look in the mirror at home, I am often looking at one or two specific things (is my gut sticking out? does my butt look huge?) but when you happen to see yourself in a full length mirror unexpectedly, you get the whole picture, and it can be surprising! Not always bad, by the way -- sometimes I think "cute outfit" and then realize it's me! Ha. Yes, I am getting absentminded in my perimenopausal state...

Funny aside: A few years ago I was in a store with DS, who looks a lot like me. My hair was quite short at the time. We were in different parts of the store, and at one point I saw HIS reflection in a nearby mirror and thought it was ME.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm shocked too, Sue, when I see my refection sometimes and see how old I look.
    I want to wear all the clothes I didn't have the confidence to wear at twenty and now they don't work anymore.
    How funny about your son! He might not think it so funny though that he looks like his mom.

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

I'll be 49 in 5 months, and now I tell myself, "Geez, I'm on the cusp of the half-century mark...what can I (or "they") expect? If I were a piece of furniture, I'd be an heirloom!"

So, we relax our standards! We no longer compare ourselves to young starlets, and try not to make comparisons to younger versions of ourselves. At the same time, obviously, we also don't give up!

I absolutely pay attention to women in their 40's, 50's, 60's and beyond, and love to see how wonderful women of all ages can look. I'm impressed when I see women making an effort. It's delightful.

I do think clothes are more important to pulling ourselves together as we age. Being well-scrubbed and well-rested may have been all we needed at 25, but a little more effort is called for now. Hence, my query to Bumblebeez!

I saw a woman in her 70's the other day who looked so polished, so poised, so together, that I just thought, "Gee, I want to look like that when I grow up!"

She wasn't trying to look like a teenager. She fully owned her "maturity." I love that. I'd rather acquire that presence, that comfort, than figure out how to perpetually look like Britanny Spears 'til the day I die!

• theroselvr
    10 years ago

Weird that we can't edit old posts. I'm going to sell the bag in this post; was doing a google to see if I can find it on ebay; this post came up. When I tried searching the forum for it; it doesn't come up; so now I'm curious if our old posts "hide" on a side server.. Wanted to see if posting to it will bump it back. I wonder if we were able to check the box for replies back then because it's telling me I'm not signed up for this post

I'm able to edit this one...

This post was edited by roselvr on Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 17:39

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So ironic, I hardly ever use that handbag. It weighs a ton, but the leather sure is nice!

• theroselvr
    10 years ago

I love the bag I posted but dislike that it doesn't have the divider in it.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

I have actually ordered a couple of these b makowski bags from qvc.

Beautiful, but both times I had to send them back because the heavy hardware made the bags weigh a ton.

Then I realized that a lot of these heavy bags were in TJ Max!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

I miss stimky gardner and hope she is well.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

That's funny, I was just wondering about Stinky the other day. Where'd she go?

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living