Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

6 Weeks to Fitness: Week #2

anele_gw
9 years ago

Our second week starts tomorrow, but I thought I'd put this up now, in case anyone wants to get ready!

If you are new and want to join in . . . please do. Any time is the right time to start!

Some ideas to address:
(1) What worked in Week #1? (What do you want to keep the same?)

(2) What didn't work? (What do you want to change?)

(3) What are your specific goals this week?

I read something that said we are more likely to accomplish something if we ask ourselves, "Will I ____?" vs telling ourselves, "I will ____." (I guess we don't like to be bossed around by ourselves!) So, if you are struggling to accomplish something, try asking yourself whether or not you will do it!

Some inspiration (feel free to share more!)

{{gwi:1509706}}

Woo hoo for us!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Week #1

Comments (27)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for doing this, anele, it's really encouraging!

I've been working on my squats. Last week, my heels were 2 1/2" off the floor, this week they are 2 1/4" off the floor...not as good as I hoped, but better than no progress at all.

I've been able to keep up with my planks...45 sec and counting.

I've also met my goal of working out 6 times this week and got in each kind of exercise at least once.

This week is going to be tougher as I believe I'm catching DH's cold. Rats. But I won't pressure myself to be perfect, but do what I can to stay as healthy as possible. Drinking lots of water will surely help.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Well, now that DS is back to taking the bus in the morning, I didn't get dressed before he and DH left the house. I have walked, and working on planks! Up to 20 seconds today, and up to 5 minutes on the elliptical.

I like the picture, it's so true! Patience and persistence.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

last week was a write off for me, this week should be better.

i want to hit the gym 5 times , be it a partial workout or a full one.
    i have a gym in my building.
    I am nursing a few small injuries and it paid off, I feel much better.

getting back to my full workout is my goal for this week.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, thank YOU for being in the group! I can't tell you how much it helps me to be doing this with all of you! RE: the squats-- 1/4" sounds like a HUGE improvement in just one week. That is awesome about the 6 days . . .I am sorry about getting sick. Hopefully some extra rest will kick it away!

Bpathome, woo hoo! What a great start to the week! You've gotten a lot done already.

Mitch, I am glad you are here now!! Great that you are feeling better-- you kept the small injuries small. What kind of things do you do at your gym?

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My update, to be edited daily.

I was able to exercise every weekday, as planned. Got in a walk on Saturday (not super long, but something). Was also able to keep my knees safe. It seems way too soon to feel a change like this, but my knees actually feel better. I am trying to be more aware of putting weight on my thighs vs. my knees.

(2) What didn't work? (What do you want to change?) I have been going to bed too late-- sometimes midnight, 1, or even later! The really late nights were due to writing my blog. It was OK for a week, but not good for me overall. I know I will feel much better if I get to bed no later than 11.

(3) What are your specific goals this week? (1) Continue working out every weekday in the morning. (2) Start the plank challenge. (3) Buy a new DVD for interval training, using weights. (4) Add in one more period of exercise with my kids, at least every other day. I got a yoga one for kids from Netflix, and/or will walk on days when we finally don't have rain.

Monday
    Worked out for 30 minutes interval training, lower body. A little distracted while I did it by something on my mind. Noticed a huge difference when I really focus on the muscle(s) being worked.

Tuesday
    Did the upper body interval training DVD. Didn't do a walk or yoga yesterday, but did play outside with the kids and have a slight sunburn to show for it, even though I applied lotion AND wore a hat. (Time for new lotion and a different hat.)

This post was edited by anele on Tue, May 6, 14 at 9:12

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Well, last week was not quite what I planned/hoped, and although I did not keep to my original plans, I was active!
    We had several days off from work so I knew it would not be my typical (routine) week. But had some good workout time working in the yard, walks, etc. I do not spring clean but got a wild hair Saturday and deep cleaned our bedroom, including moving furniture, etc. so although I did not walk that day or do my stretches, I got a workout!

I'm going back to my original goals from last week - 3 days of walking and doing my stretches for 5 days. The stretch routine is a series of 10 stretches - hoping for better flexibility!

tina

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Some ideas to address:

Everything worked well in week 1. I made my plans and stuck to them.

I'm doing a weight lifting plan that was laid out in a book. I'm not sure it is enough. Of course the author of the book says to be patient and do the program as written, so I think I will do that for at least two more weeks.

This week I will work out at the gym on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Saturday I will have to do it after waitressing all day, so that will be something that I have to make myself do. I am also starting the plank challenge.

Beth P.

• fourkids4us
    9 years ago

For the most part, my exercise goals were met. I missed one day through no fault of my own. Despite dh being gone all week and taking care of my four kids alone, I managed to refrain from opening a bottle of wine, especially after having a very emotional day on Thursday. LOL.

My "diet" didn't work. I was doing well, then got blindsided on Thursday with some news that prevented me from getting my exercise in that day. I got home and was so upset, instead of making myself a healthy meal for lunch, I grabbed a piece of fudge. And then another. I'm not an emotional eater, but that piece of fudge, for a brief moment, tasted good. I failed on my sugar-free plan, and then decided to stay off-plan through the weekend. My daughter's birthday was yesterday and I figured I'd eat a piece of birthday cake and get back on track today.

Goals - run 4x this week, one day of TRX and two days of barre. Back on my lean proteins, veggie/fruit meal plan. Get some yard work done. Push ups/planks on days I don't have barre or TRX. Take my boys to the track this week and help them work on their endurance for lacrosse.

Got my run in this morning, even though my running partner bailed on me, and went much farther than I'd planned when I set out, so feel like I'm starting on a positive note!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Anele, thank you for the motivation!

I swear I wrote this earlier, but for some reason it didn't post. I had a pretty good week overall, especially after finally recovering from the nasty cold/sinus thing. I posted on the other 'health' thread that I ran the 5k Friday evening and had a great time, then ran on Saturday morning at 7 with my training group. We did the 10k course (6.2 miles), and I was really tired and did it slow, so it showed me I need to improve my speed. I am truly old and slow but that's ok, I know I can do it. The race is in 3 weeks so that gives me some time to work on it. I know I can stick with the plan, which is to run on Mon, Wed, Thurs and Sat, with cross training on Tues and Sun and rest on Fri. I sometimes run on Sun instead of Mon because it works out best for me to run in the mornings instead of after work. I just do better.

I always stretch a lot after working out, especially as I have gotten older. I really need stretching a little too before I run, especially in some chronic problem areas. And sometimes I jog a little before a big race just to warm up.

What didn't work: Yesterday's DH treated me to. I ate a small bowl of creamy peach cobbler that was delightful! I really ate too much to tell the truth, but I think I told myself it was ok. Back on track last night and today. I will do 3 miles tonight with 'fast repeats' to work on my speed.

Goals: I will run 4.5 Wednesday and Thursday and the course again on Saturday (Wed and Sat with the group).

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If anyone is looking for a very gentle, very meditative yoga, if you get Shalom TV on your cable station, they have a morning 30 min commercial free program called "Harmony Yoga". The production quality isn't good, but it's kripalu yoga which she calls "meditation in motion"...lots of breathing and noticing. I find it great to use on in between days when I want to do something, but not so strenuous.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

Epic fail here. Mostly due to not taking into consideration that it was the final week of my busy season at work. I was responsible for organizing and running 2 events: an informal picnic for 100 and two days later a formal banquet for 200. Those are on top of what is already the annual very intense period at my job. I vastly underestimated how much energy-both physical and mental-the work load would suck up, and just couldn't get motivated or find time to dedicate to working out. I got down on the floor *once* and tried to do a few push ups. No running. No real arm work.

Today I took the afternoon off to try to decompress a bit from work stuff, and Anele thanks for all the great motivational signs and sayings. Planning to recommit starting now. Of course, this week, I'm hopefully finishing the redecoration/reorganization of my LR/FR which includes furniture being picked up, other stuff delivered, reorganizing storage to accomodate new systems at home and Friday is my daughter's graduation from college followed by a large extended family gathering the next night. However I am going to try harder and keep the faith that I"ll get moving now!

Ann

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Annie - going from 2 1/2" to 2 1/4" doesn't sound like much but it's a 10% improvement and there is NEVER anything wrong with a 10% improvement.

outsideplaying - running a 5K and then less than 12 hours later running 10K doesn't show anything except that you did 2 runs in less than 12 hours. It didn't show you that you were slow. You needed more recovery time between the two runs so don't beat yourself up over your self-defined slow run. Put that experience behind you.

I do a hard-core core workout class with a trainer on Wednesday nights and then run an 8k trail run on Thursday mornings. I always make it a slower run because I know my body has been beaten up the night before.

I remember years ago being told two things about training and healthy living - you only have to be good 90% of the time so cut yourself some slack for the other 10% AND if you screw up one day and don't do whatever training you have planned, just keep your schedule and do your training the next day. IT all goes back to being good 90% of the time.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tina, I think that is key-- when things don't go as planned, be flexible!! And, you got cleaning done!

Beth, do you waitressing regularly? I think that is one of the most demanding jobs, on many levels, and a workout in and of itself. RE: the weights-- what doesn't seem like enough? You want to do more reps/heavier weights or add more exercises?

4kids, that is fantastic that you did the running even when your partner skipped it. And, for whatever was going on last week that was disturbing-- I am sorry. :(

Outside, Blfenton is right. That is a LOT of running in a short period of time. No recovery. Is it something you are used to doing, and comparing yourself to the past? It sounds like a fun running group! Someday, I am going to try to work in more social time with exercise. That is why this group is key for me!

Annie, we don't get that station, but something I will look into!

Ann, you didn't fail. There were unexpected obligations that came up. That is not failing. That is being human and wise, to not push yourself to do what was not possible. It could have made you even more exhausted, sick, etc. Since you still have a lot going on, readjust your goals. Lower your expectations. Have them set very low so that you CAN meet them. Setting yourself up so that you feel like you are failing will take the wind out of your sail. Set yourself up to succeed, and that includes being very realistic.

Blfenton, I am going to apply that 10% to life in general. That's a philosophy I can work with. Thank you!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I usually run with a 24-hour spacing, so I knew this would be hard running the 5k followed by the 10k in the morning. Our running group coaches even told us to take it easy on the 10k, so I did. I really felt pretty good afterward, but am more sore yesterday than I thought I would be and I'm sure it was the extra distance in a short period of time. We did some pretty steep hills in the 10k too (up and down) so that is probably part of it too. I haven't done any 10k races in about 5 years; am 65 now so yes, I'm comparing myself to my 45-55 year old self, lol, when I could do these things a lot easier. Thanks for the reminder that sometimes I need to remember that 10% rule!

• fourkids4us
    9 years ago

Outsideplaying, you are 20 years older than I am - when I see older women out running, I always say to myself, I hope I'm healthy enough to still be running at that age. By healthy, aside from any possible illness/disease, I mean I hope my body is still injury-free such that I will still be able to run in 20 years. To be able to run almost 10 miles in less than 24 hours is fantastic!

Running is my favorite form of exercise, so I'm hopeful my knees, hips, etc won't fail me as I age!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Fourkids, just keep moving, and you will likely be able to be doing this 20 years from now too. I've had 2 ACL reconstructions and bounced back. Still hiking, weight training, pilates and other things I enjoy too. We snow ski once a year (how I tore the ACLs) and I bike now and then but not as much I used to. Like I said, I find I have to warm up and stretch a lot more too.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I'm 61 and have been running for 40 years and took up strength training to prolong my running career. However, I have on the odd occasion suffered an over use injury but have never actually hurt myself. (tripping over a pine cone and tearing all the ligaments in my ankle notwithstanding). I've been fortunate. I am from the camp of use it or lose it. And the simple act of walking is a great answer to using it or losing it.

I remember all those running naysayers who used to say ohhh by the time you're 40 your knees and hips will be shot and you'll be limping along. It's no longer the case.

Everyday, for a small part of the day, just go out and put one foot in front of the other and swing those arms. Keep your eyes up, look around, breath in and out, and enjoy.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Outside and Blfenton-- THANK YOU. My mom is 82 and she is in excellent health. She's always eaten a very healthy diet, maintained her weight, and has tried to be active through walking (not daily, just here and there). Growing up, she and my dad never "exercised" in any obvious way. I remember her friend doing yoga and hurting her back from it, per my mom, and my mom then sort of pooh-poohing yoga. Exercise was never a part of my family's life. (I had only 1 sister, and neither of us was into sports.) So, it is so good for me to look ahead 20 yrs (I am 40 now) and see that this path can still continue for me, even though I am at the very, very beginning.

4kids, I am with you-- but I think that since you are already so active, you have a much, much better chance than the average person to keep all of your parts working as they should!

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Week #1 is easy. It's new, strong motivation, Spring is here. Want to keep the same:
    planning meals and shopping for healthy food
    planning time for exercise

Too many "social occasions" and too much food and alcohol. I don't really want to change much about that, except my ability to resist temptations!

Stick to my healthy carb diet
    Get to the gym

This is so much HARDER then it used to be!
    Thank you ALL for sharing here. We all have challenges in our strive to get/stay fit. This is a great group!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Wahoo! I hit the 60 sec mark on the plank, no problem! Gotta appreciate every little victory!

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Beth, do you waitressing regularly? I think that is one of the most demanding jobs, on many levels, and a workout in and of itself. RE: the weights-- what doesn't seem like enough? You want to do more reps/heavier weights or add more exercises?

Anele, I've waitressed on and off for 30 years. UGH! At this point I only work at my sister's little breakfast place, and usually only on Sundays in the Summer. It's great money and we do have some fun, but it is pretty hard work. I think one Sunday last Summer I counted 18K steps in a day. (and we stop serving around 12-1 on Sundays).

I've decided to up the weights. I went up quite a bit yesterday and it was fine. I think Norman the Trainer was nervous and started me off slow. The New Rules book is mostly about lifting heavy weights so that goes along with my plan.

Everyone is doing great! I really admire those of you who run. I have never been able to do it for any distance. Who knows? Maybe someday!

Beth

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bonnie, you are doing great! And you are right, it does seem like things are getting harder. I guess they get easier if we stick to it, though, right? ( I hope!!)

Annie, that is awesome!!!!! Congrats!

Beth, wow about waitressing. I really think it is such a tough job, one of the toughest. How did your weight training go?

I am a little less into it this week. Tried a new DVD from a friend but it was so repetitive and I hurt my knees a little. Also got my period EARLY (very early) so I have to deal with that. Missed my workout yesterday despite getting up very early because I had to make things for my mom's b-day . . .but I made myself get up early today to get the workout done, so I didn't miss any! Whew. I see, though, that if I can't do it in the a.m., it is very hard to fit it in at any other time.

I really want to get some light equipment and new DVDs. Something easy on the knees but that will really strengthen my legs, butt, etc. to help with my knees. Ideas?

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Anele, are you using weights with your exercises? When I'm doing anything at home, I use some free weights (10, 15, and 20 lb depending on what I'm doing). To start with any leg work such as squats, if you haven't been doing them, first make sure you are doing them correctly. And start with a 10-lb weight (or less) in each hand on a flat surface. Make sure your knees aren't beyond your feet as you squat and that your head is up and shoulders are back and your back is straight. Don't go down too far until you are used to doing these. Not sure what else your DVD has you doing but you sure don't want to hurt your knees.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Outside, I do use them, but they are VERY light. I use them with the interval workout. I use 2, 5 lb and 2, 3 lb.

The problem comes from anything that goes out to the side. That is where the issues come in. For example, if I jump up and down (like jumping rope), as long as I make sure I land softly, it's OK, but a jumping jack is very bad.

So many DVDs use lunges and squats that are quick, as part of cardio, so while I do try to stay at my own pace and keep the form correct, it can be tough. I'd rather just avoid them (w/cardio) until I get stronger.

I am really interested in getting resistance bands. My only concerns are (1)most carry Prop 65 warnings and (2) some are to be used with a door, and I have pretty much nowhere I can do that (pocket doors in this house mostly).

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Yes, to stay with this thread just a little longer, I would advise just doing your lunges and squats at your own pace until you are comfortable with your form and YOUR pace rather than some amped up cardio pace. I never like to do lunges or squats at someone else's pace quite frankly. And especially not with heavy weights for gosh sakes!

Resistance bands are really good. I have used them many times and so does DH for his shoulder. When I was re-habbing my knee last year I had several really good exercises that didn't require use of a door knob. You can double up the size of the band and tie a knot in one and put it around your ankles. Then do side lunges across a room or down a hallway. That's a great one. Or look thru the internet for various other ways to use one that uses the band in more of a 'circle' format around your knees or ankles where you can sit or lie down or take steps across a room. It works.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Outside, yes, you are right . . .seems like all of the (few) cardio videos I have are very focused on using them at fast speeds. I have one from Jillian Michaels and it is horrible! Of course, I missed those reviews when I ordered it, but saw them after the fact.

Do you have any recommendations for a brand of bands? I am confused about the ones with handles vs, the loops. It sounds like the loop type is what you use? The ones that use the door go over the actual door frame, I think. Not sure.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I was given a length of band by my physical therapist. I think you can buy them actually at a sports therapy center. They are different 'weights'/strengths...blue, green, etc depending on the strength you need to start with. Then just tie a knot in the end and you are good to go. I had a green one and DH has blue. There are also some you can purchase with handles you can attach. We have some of those too for more options.