Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Anyone watch Game of Thrones?

dedtired
9 years ago

I am about through Season One. The story and characters are intriguing.

Honestly, I have had about as much blood and violence as I can take. Does the entire series continue like this? Every problem is solved by massive bloodshed and evisceration!

I do like that all the women have real boobs. Not an implant among them. Good to be reminded how real breasts look! And male frontal nudity. Yikes.

I have to look away from the blood and gore so often. Not sure how much more I can stand.

Comments (20)

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

I read the books (or most of them) and just decided that I could not makea the leap to watching that on television, actually seeing things just makes it too visceral for me. I am not even sure how much of the next book I will read as it became too draining for me, I may check in to a few of the story lines I like but am no longer sure if I want to invest my time in it.

I have heard that some of the nudity was toned down, a wee bit in subsequent seasons.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The nudity doesn't get to me as much as the unending blood and gore. It really makes me flinch.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

dedtired - I've watched since the beginning and the blood and gore do continue. Are you binge watching? I think that would make it even more difficult to watch. There's only so much violence one can stomach and at least if you're watching it first run then you have a week between shows. There are some episodes that simply leave you numb. And it's not just the blood and violence - there are senseless murders and horrific torture scenes that are stunningly graphic.

oh I should add - I've never been a fan of the 'dungeons and dragons' genre but I find this series fascinating. It's beautifully filmed and I love the exotic locations and sets. It took me the entire first season to keep my kingdoms straight. You almost needed a score card with the players named.

This post was edited by maire_cate on Tue, May 20, 14 at 7:00

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

I hated it at first. I came up with the name for it "Blood, Guts and the Golden Crown". Do you all remember the Golden Crown episode, I have to say I was horrified and giddy at the same time! HAHA! That guy needed to die a horrible death! My husband and I are GOT fans but it is not for the faint of heart.

• golddust
    9 years ago

We haven't followed the Series but we make their commemorative pendant of their Coat of Arms (Lion) and a Dragon Egg. They apparently sell these items on their website but we haven't explored. We just produce to their orders.

• Zyperiris
    9 years ago

I love the show...never read the books..and yah its bloody..its a war thing.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

I won't watch the tv show because I don't want my mental image to be dictated by what's there--prefer to stick with reading the books. I wonder when GRRM will finally finish and publish the next one???????

Have read that the producers are getting (rightly) concerned that the series is going to catch up with the books before he can produce the end of the storyline in print!

• andreak100
    9 years ago

Yes, the bloodshed continues. It's about the ascent to the Throne...and the way that people get there. You learn rather quickly that no character is exempt from being killed. I'm not much of a blood and gore type of person, but I do enjoy the series.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maire, good point about the bingeing. I borrowed the the entire first season discs from the library (yay library). So, I've been watching about two episodes per day. That is a lot of blood, gore, nudity, sex and cruelty at one time.

The disc set came with a map of "The Seven Kingdoms of Westeros" and that helps keep things straight a little.I also am not usually a fan of the genre. I'm more of a Downton Abbey girl, but this story has grabbed me. I guess there are similarities -- family drama and protecting the homeland.

Every time they mention "sending a raven" all I can think of his Harry Potter getting a message by Owl. GOT is Harry Potter on steroids.

I just watched the Gold Crown scene. Aaaaaack! The sister in that scene is one of my favorite characters -- Daenerys (sp?). In fact, I am most fascinated with the female characters.

Okay, I will be prepared for more of the same. Sometimes I have to fast forward through it or close my eyes and just listen. Occasionally I hold up the remote control to block the view of the blood.

I would never have picked up a book on this topic. I wonder how many seasons it will run.

• colleenoz
    9 years ago

It helps if you do the ironing while you watch :-)

I got Season 1 & 2 on DVD for Christmas and I'm working my way through them while I iron as DH isn't really interested. Pity, because I think he'd enjoy it if he tried it. I had read all the books well before I got the filmed version. The books are a little different- everyone's younger for a start but I don't think the American public would go for a 13 yo Danaerys Targaryen, or find a 15 yo Rob Stark leading an army believable. And yet not two generations ago children even younger were supporting themselves and often their families as well.

My favourite character is Tyrion Lannister. I hope he makes it to the end :-)

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ack, the Lannisters! Makes me ashamed to be a blond. I do love the way Tyrion gets by on his wits.I think my favorite male character is Jon Snow. Khal Drogo is one hunk of man!

Hmm, ironing. I may have to try that sometime.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

No -- too many characters and not a sympathetic one in the bunch; too violent; and the guy hasn't even written the ending yet. no.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

My 24 year old is watching it.,groups seem to get together and watch it. I am wondering if there are some hidden meanings that seem to attract the younger crowd.
    Maybe I'll ask my daughter what the attraction is to this series.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    9 years ago

I'm hooked. Love the strong female characters. Daenerys and Brianne are my favorite.

My dh always seems to walk into the room whenever a sex scene comes on. "Hmm....What are you watching dear?" lol!

The locations where they film are absolutely stunning.

Here is a link that might be useful: GOT locations

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, the scenery is absolutely amazing. One good thing about watching the DVDs is all the extras that talk about locations and costumes and so on. I just reserve Season Two at the library and after that I can watch it On Demand since I have a free three month pass for HBO.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

We have watched it from the beginning. Normally I am not into that kind of story line/genre, but as I've stuck with it and learned the characters, I really enjoy it. Neither of us has read the books. Tyrion definitely our favorite character, though we like Danerys and Aryra too. Love to hate Cersei and Joffrey.

What I like about it is you never know what is coming next. No character is safe. Yes, it can be gory, but that's what it was. I do think they probably have women with more responsibility than what they would have really had at that time. Enjoy seeing women with "real" bodies, though they are mostly European and have a different look and attitude than what an American would have.

If any of you are fans of Ben Mankiewicz from Turner Classic Movies, he does reviews of the show literally right after they play on a Show called "What the Flick." Of course, you can always watch them later. The panel discussion is helpful for those of us who have not read the books. We learned a lot by watching these.

Ded, one other thing I learned is each episode opening shows the fictional locations where that episode is set. I'd love to do the actual tours of the real set locations.

Here is a link that might be useful: What the Flick on Youtube

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey gscience, thanks for that link. I watched the review of Mad Men, which I have been watching (and adore) in real time. I'll have to go back and watch the discussions of the GOT episodes I have seen. Avoiding spoilers when you are this late to the game (or should I say Game) is hard!

• bpath
    9 years ago

Gave up on GoT in the 3rd episode. But am enjoying House of Cards, and even got the 1980s British miniseries. Wonderful.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Ded, we always try to watch GOT live and then the "postgame" show because it is very hard to avoid spoilers the next day. Same thing for Mad Men, but this week we were too tired after the postgame to watch the whole Mad Men. The postgame GOT is almost as long as the episode most weeks.

This coming weekend, no GOT due to the Holiday which is typical of HBO, but there will be the half-season finale of Mad Men.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I finished Season 1 today and have requested Season 2 from the library. I am number nine on the list but there are about 30 copies in the system so it shouldn't take too long.

I was shocked when (you-know-who) was beheaded. Not expected!

I hate to see this season of Mad Men end -- or as they are saying -- the first half of the last season. Wonder what will become of Don?