Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golddust

What kind of a lamp?

golddust
10 years ago

Trying to sell it. I think it is a hurricane lamp or a Victorian lamp. It's 30" tall. Wonder if this style is valueless. Tell me what you think. Trying to sell it.

Comments (15)

• golddust
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a second picture. It's really bad lighting because of the window.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Yes, I'd call it a hurricane. Does it have a clear glass globe in the upper part? I LOVE that lamp. If you had two and they were blue, I'd be first in line.

• golddust
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If it were blue, how much would you pay for it? I think I have some blue paint in the basement. LOL.

Seriously, what do you think it's worth? It is huge and sat centered in her living room picture window.

She has another hurricane lamp that is smaller and has a matching hanging hurricane lamp swag type thing. They are white with yellow roses and green leaves. Clueless as to what to ask on Craig's List.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

If you're listing it on craigslist, ebay or some other seachable website, be sure you add 'Gone With The Wind lamp'.

Many shoppers call this type lamp that. I have no idea the value, sorry. (maybe search completed ebay auctions?)

ML

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Looks like they are selling for $50 - $100 on eBay.

• golddust
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cool. Thanks, Fun. It's huge and I don't want to ship it. Gone with the wind lamps are generally round at the top from what I could tell. Keep thinking I should stick it in a bedroom but 30" is a bit overkill for a bedroom but it would match one of my quilt sets. Not crazy about the formal style.

Think I'll start off at $100.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

It's pretty! Even though it may not be technically a GWTWL/GWTW (I see this acronym used), it's close enough.

Does it light just at the bottom, if you want? I find that kind of light nice as a nightlight, esp. in a guest bedroom.

On my CL, they are listed for around $79, but I don't know what they go for in reality, since they seem to be posted for years (yes, I have seen one such lamp for yrs-- not as pretty as yours).

I would use words like "cottage" and "shabby chic" in your description. "Charming" and "sweet" would also work!

• golddust
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shabby chic! Cottage! Great terms. Thanks. I suspect there is almost zero market for this lamp. Too bad because Mom loved it so much.

The problem is, this lamp is larger than a cottage could handle. It is huge!

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

It is huge, but I have seen them in period homes in parlors that tall. Had to be big enough to light the area, I guess!

There is another word-- "parlor". Oh, and maybe put one of your key words as "sheek." You know-- shabby sheek! (I see that a lot!)

I don't think there is zero market at all! I think if you price it right and do a nice photo (inc it lit) you will definitely get people to buy. I like lamps like that!

• golddust
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Anele I need your words. I I want to know the difference between thrift store donation (tax write off) and value worth the effort to sell...

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

30" should be about the right size for a bedside lamp. Most of the bedside lamps I see are too short.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

Are those bleeding hearts? If so, I would mention that.

• golddust
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think they are fuschas. I thought they were bleeding hearts but DH said no.

Anyone need an Anniversary clock? Lol

• CaroleOH
    10 years ago

I'd post it on ebay - you'll probably get more interest. Only problem is having to ship such a fragile item.

Looks like you're selling some of your MIL's things. Whatever happened with the rug you wanted?

• golddust
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am selling the things no one wants. I've offered everything to family and what is left is going to be sold or donated. (Sorry, 'Mom'!)

The rugs are mine. I got both of them. They are still upstairs, pending living and dining room update. Just got the washers to repair a couple plaster cracks in my ceiling. Trying to motivate my BIL to come do the work.