Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellendi_gw

Dlm2000 coconut oil

ellendi
9 years ago

I bought the coconut oil at Trader Joe's today. I have a few questions. It is a large amount and it looks like you don't refrigerate it. How long does it stay good for?
I am going to start using it at night. How long before you see results?

Comments (23)

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

Not DLM, but my island top and cutting board are looking dewy and fresh. :)
    It was tasty in my coffee this morning, too. Tonight a glob will be spread on my dry skin. Smells lovely.
    P.s. is pic correct? My ipad has upside down issues, so I rotated , which probably didn't work. :(

9 years ago

Here's my post ( above).

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

ellendi - coconut oil has a very long shelf life, even longer than the date on the jar. It has antimicrobial properties so unless you are using it in your kitchen, taking it straight from the jar with a dirty utensil or leaving crumbs of food in it, it lasts for at least a couple of years. That's one of the reasons I use a small plastic spatula to scrape a tiny bit off for my moisturizer and don't use my fingers which could contaminate it. (but you should do that with ANY makeup or moisturizer) You could just use a plastic spoon - then rinse any residue off with hot water. Store it covered, in a cabinet or drawer out of light the way you would with any oil, but you won't find it going rancid the way olive oils can, for example. As for seeing results, I'm not sure what to tell you. It's not a fountain of youth - no one is going to mistake me for a 30 yr old!! Give it a couple of weeks and see what you think. After a month or so I really noticed the difference in the morning. I used to avoid looking in the mirror while I brushed my teeth - really! Now I look and think, hey, not bad!! My skin looks fresh and healthy straight out of bed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Benefits of Coconut Oil

• ellendi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. I used it last night. Thanks for the tips. My skin is very dry and I use Ecerine Q10 daily. But I also have to use a dab of Vaseline with it. Same with the coconut oil.
    I couldn't resist tasting it as I love coconut. It was interesting how it starts out solid than melts right in. I'll give it a month.
    Thanks again. It's fun to try new products and this one certain didn't break the bank!
    Martinca, lol so many uses!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

ellendi, let me know how it works for you. (Not that you aren't lovely already!)

I've gotten into coconut oil as a result of the cleanse, but I've been consuming it, not putting it on my face. I have to admit that people have commented on my skin looking better since I've been having the green smoothie breakfasts...they say it looks more hydrated.

9 years ago

Crossing my fingers it eliminates my dry, itchy skin.

9 years ago

Crossing my fingers it eliminates my dry, itchy skin.

• ellendi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, what is in the green smoothie? Do you drink it everyday?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Yes, since I started the cleanse back in March, I've been having it for breakfast just about every day. I'm amazed at how energetic I am now...and especially amazed at how loggy I feel when I have a traditional breakfast like cold cereal.

My smoothies start out with 3/4 c water and 1 Tbls chia seeds which I let soak for 10 min. Then I add a handful of fresh kale, 1/2 banana, 1 tsp coconut oil, 1 scoop of unsweetened whey protein powder, and frozen fruits such as pineapple, mango, and mixed berries and cherries (which can turn the green to more of a khaki.)

It's surprisingly delish and filling.

• ellendi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the recipe, Annie.

• moonshadow
    9 years ago

Coconut oil is also a fantastic deep conditioner for hair.

• moonshadow
    9 years ago

Delete double post.

This post was edited by moonshadow on Mon, May 12, 14 at 2:54

• ellendi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moon, can the coconut oil be washed out the way you would a regular conditioner, or do you have to shampoo it out?

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I love a tablespoon of coconut oil and a tablespoon of honey on my salad with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Num num!

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

This is such great info. Thank you! I love coconut . . .never thought of how many uses there were for it.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

DD and I were taking a tablespoons every night, but it's horrific tasting, and I shuddered when I took it. Annie, you don't say how much you take, but 'consume' has to be more than a tbls. and that's really all that's recommended. I've read that too much(over 4 tbls.)could 'up' your cholesterol level.

I have a 16 oz green(mostly veggie/fruit added for sweetness)smoothie 4 days a week, and have noticed a difference in my skin as well as my eyes looking brighter. I've nixed the coconut oil entirely, but whenever I need to use olive oil, will take a 'swig' also.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Mmmm. I love the flavor of it by itself.

• moonshadow
    9 years ago

ellendi, I wash it out, just a quick shampoo. It leaves my hair very shiny, soft and bouncy and oddly enough not weighed down at all. (Doesn't take much to weigh my hair down.) I don't remember where I found the recipe so this is from memory ;) You fill a bowl with hot water. Then depending on hair thickness and length, put a TB or so of coconut oil in a smaller container and set that in the bowl of hot water so the oil liquifies. Then apply to the hair, massaging scalp and through to ends. Comb through with one of those wide combs with very thick teeth. (Sally's Beauty carries them.) Put hair up in a shower cap if you have one. Some leave on 30-60 minutes, some overnight. (Yes, old school, lol.) Some direct a blow dryer toward their hair to warm up the oil. I've done both an hour or so and overnight. Either way I rinse it really well and just do a very light shampoo, doesn't take much. It's like my hair just sucks up the oil. Oh, and they said it should be virgin cold-pressed, looks like crisco. I found it at Walgreen's in the vitamin aisle.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Pattycakes - actually there are studies that show coconut oil helps to lower cholesterol and heart disease. There are so many health benefits to the stuff!

Just make sure to get the virgin or extra virgin formula.

I'm sharing a link that shows a few of the health benefits.

Here is a link that might be useful: Benefits of coconut oil

• ellendi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Moon. I use so many expensive products, why not try this as long as I have it.

• ellendi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moon, do you put it on your hair damp or dry?

• moonshadow
    9 years ago

I put it on towel-dried. It's easier for me to see that I'm getting it evenly coated and distributed. But you can do either damp or completely dry hair. (I'd avoid putting it on dry hair that has styling products in because that might interfere with it.)

I still can't remember where I saw the info originally but this first link is the same process except for amount used. They also say shampoo twice which I didn't find necessary, but YMMV. A good rinse out and then a light shampoo and mine was fine.

Step-by-step with photos.

This one explains benefits over regular conditioners

• ellendi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the links, Moon. My hair is frizzy and I am hoping to combat this problem by conditioning with the coconut oil.

Good point on using it on product free hair.