Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamie1s

Hostess-ish gift for old friend?

Jamie
10 years ago

You are a half of a long-married couple. I have known you, the wife, for 35 years but we have not socialized as couples and have not seen each other frequently over the years. Despite the way it sounds, we would consider each other close old friends. You are an artist working as a commercial artist. You have refined, conservative taste and are thrifty. I am not aware of your having any luxuries, but you have good quality things and a weekend condo. You live in a high-income, leafy old suburb in a mid-century house that you do not dote on. If we have a conversation about décor, which we have not had for quite some time, it would be about your painting the kitchen cabinets or fixing the yard -- not a decorator-to-trends, you. .Your space reflects art and practicality, rather than décor, I suspect,

You have a grown son, no grandchildren, are still working and your hub has just retired. I am coming for dinner because I am attending a conference nearby. I saw you a couple of weeks ago, but have not been to your home for over 30 years, a single visit soon after you bought it, some years before I was even married. Some of our friends have had graduation parties, etc, for their children, and invited me and others in the old group, but you are not a crowd person and in fact I have never met your son though we discuss him and I see photos. I have lived hundreds of miles away for the past 25 years, and now I'm back and only 150 miles away, and I will probably meet him eventually. We have been getting together more often, and I'd like that to continue.

I'll pick you up at the commuter train after my meeting, and we'll go to your house, where you husband will have prepared dinner. I can't stay long because I have a couple of hours drive home and work the next AM,

When we talked today you said hub is exploring cooking in retirement, that you two went for a bike ride this AM, and that you'd go to the condo retreat this afternoon.
It sounds so odd. I love you and feel I know you very well, yet I have no idea what to bring you.

What gift would you like? You can have anything you would like me to give you.

Comments (13)

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I just love how you worded your post. :)

Okay, what I would like (besides your presence) is a pretty basket that will go with everything, and a bottle of wine or sparkling juice.

The basket will be full of snacks. Maybe Godiva chocolates? Eh, that's really expensive. But you get my drift.

It's simple and thoughtful, and something for me and my husband to snack on after you leave.

Depending on the basket, I'll probably have fun finding a spot for it to hold things, like soaps, kitchen tools, etc.

• caminnc
    10 years ago

I think they would like a coffee table book on the type of art that they appreciate or a nice cookbook if you know what type of food they are exploring. A bottle of wine is always nice. Have a wonderful time!

• caminnc
    10 years ago

Oh if you do get a book don't forget to write a nice note in it!

• teacats
    10 years ago

Perhaps a bottle of white wine and a bottle of red in a basket with a couple of pretty linen kitchen towels ....

Or: perhaps a fun cookbook or a fun book from Julia Reed (she lives in New Orleans and writes about food and fun and her new book was just published)

Or: a wonderful selection of herbs planted in a basic (but sturdy) clay container ...Or even some small plants (still in their garden containers) in a foil-lined serving dish (could be a fun one from a thrift store)

Or: a few containers of dried herbs with some wonderful creamy cheeses and crackers

Or: a very nice box of Godiva chocolates

Or: a really lovely bunch of mixed white flowers (I usually add some tall rosemary from my garden)

• Jamie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think they would love the godiva. I was considering a bottle of hard stuff, but the white and red sounds wonderful. I'll bring a really good white from a local winery -- that should entice them to come visit me. The red will be California. As for a book, yes, I feel like that would be appreciated, too. So a selection of different stuff sounds ideal.

The get-together is Tuesday so I don't have time to figure out and plant herbs, but I'm repotting a huge old sanseveria today, and you've got me thinking I should go get a nice pot to put some of it in for her -- they are so easy care. The plant would be in addition to the other goodies. I like the idea that it's so old -- like our friendship. But I know they are poisonous -- do cats know this? My friend used to have bassetts but has downsized to a cat and I don't want to endanger it.

• roarah
    10 years ago

I always send my hosts a flower arrangement to arrive in the morning before the event I am attending. It always seems to go over well :) and it is easy peasy too.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

For folks of that age, they are probably past accumulating things, so consumables are probably best...like a fruit basket, the wines, maybe with cheese and crackers...or maybe a gift basket full of breakfast items like pancake mix, jams, scones, fruits, real maple syrup....

• User
    10 years ago

Red wine and white flowers. You cannot go wrong with that combination.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Lately I have been bringing unique olive oils to my foodie friends. Sounds like maybe the husband likes to cook. We have one of those fancy olive oil stores nearby.

Or maybe some delicious for their breakfast at the getaway condo? Scones and muffins hold up well. A nice assortment of jellies, too. Oh yum, come visit me.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

How about a beautiful orchid plant. Get ones with lots of buds on it and it will stay in bloom for several months. Perhaps the friend will even be able to get it to re-bloom. Orchids are really not difficult to care for as long as they are not over watered.

• kimberlyrkb
    10 years ago

Do you have time to source and pick up some local chocolates, or find some good cheese to take with a bottle of wine? I don't think I've become a chocolate snob, but my husband recently came home with a box of Godiva and it was absolutely terrible. It was stale and way over priced. For somewhat less money I have gotten much, much better chocolate that is made locally.

If it were me, I'd love a basket/bag of 2 or 3 small hunks of cheese, some interesting crackers to go with it, maybe a few individually wrapped chocolates or Vosges candy bar, and a bottle of wine. I also like the olive oil idea - get a good bottle of oil and a nice balsamic to go with it?

Enjoy. You sound like a nice friend/guest!

• sis3
    10 years ago

As your friend of so many years, Jamie's, I am excited that you are able to visit us, after so long, in our home. I value you as the kind and considerate person you are and am looking forward to simply enjoying your company and sharing the delicious meal my husband will prepare for us. I will be touched that you thought to also bring a gift and if you choose from any of the ideas mentioned above I will be delighted...they are all perfect. I think the idea of a cooking related gift to include DH in our friendship and to thank him for his efforts is especially appealing (whoops, but that's Sis3 talking, not your friend! I just happen to love cooking related gifts and have even been known to design my kitchen decor around a particularly colorful tagine that I received as a gift from overseas!).

Have a wonderful time with your old friend!

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Oils and vinegars, I like that idea !!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County