Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

Moving art!

jterrilynn
10 years ago

How did you move your wall art for a move/relocation? In the past we have partially moved ourselves. We would have everything boxed and ready to go, husband would move the artwork himself after I prepped it; the movers would do the rest. Lots of disasters with that method in damaged frames. I now have more art than in the past and it will be stored in an air-conditioned unit until we find a home. I donâÂÂt want husband touching the art. Is it horribly expensive to hire (?) to prep and move it to our unit?

Comments (13)

• annie1971
    10 years ago

Are these framed art pieces? We were moved by professional movers and I don't think they did anything special except have the right sized boxes (they have some specially sized for art pieces). Ours were quite large and the movers formed cardboard for the proper size. I would not use any plastic, bubble wrap etc., if they're to be stored and I would not let hubby handle it. If you have professional packers prepare them for shipment, at least you have coverage for damage. If you prepare them for shipment, you're probably on your own if they're damaged. You might be able to contract with someone for partial packing, i.e., packing only those things that you want professionally prepared for shipping.
    Call you local art dealer/gallery to get their opinion on how you can do it yourself if you really want to do so.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have been checking prices on large art / big flat screen tv type boxes and they are around $28 a box...sheesh! HomeDe*** has some for $20 but the reviews are bad... nearly forced people off the deep end trying to put them together. I need around 15 of those big ones for pictures and TV's. How can cardboard paper be so expensive? This is killing me but I guess I'll have to bite the bullet plus pay to have them moved to storage and then pay to have them moved out again when I find a house. I hate moving i hate moving i hate moving i hate moving grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I even put an ad on craigslist for moving boxes. I got one reply and the gal wanted to charge me very close to what they cost her grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

• annie1971
    10 years ago

I love moving. You should not look at it as a item expense sheet! Get on with it - and look toward the end result. Do what you need to do to keep your most cherished items safe. You'll be happier in the end. Why are you so angry!? You gotta move -- get on with it! Sell it, leave it behind, or pack and ship.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes you are right Annie, I should not be so angry! I am sick with a flu thing, tired and canâÂÂt find a house. I know it will pass eventually and hopefully I will come back on here and say Annie this move thing was the best thing ever. Trust me I donâÂÂt like being so whiny. Thanks, I think I needed a slap upside the headâ¦not every one can get away with that with me. Ok (reluctantly) I guess you are a keeper in the online friend category ïÂÂ

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

jterrilynn: You should be able to buy moving boxes, especially for framed art, at places that rent moving vans such as Penske, U-Haul, etc. Also, some places that rent storage units sell them. Good luck on your move and also hope you find the "right" house soon.

This post was edited by lizbeth-gardener on Tue, May 28, 13 at 19:10

• annie1971
    10 years ago

jt: I'll take a new friend anyway I can get one. We'll get you into that new house (in Florida, is it?), even if it's kicking and screaming all the way! You'll see, it'll be fine!
    Annie '71

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

Just something to think about......of course, this will depend on the size of your art....could you wrap each piece in extra bedding (quilts, blankets, etc) and pack several in large, heavy duty boxes. I'm thinking applicance or furniture boxes. It sounds like you have some large pieces.

Also, if some of your art is small enough, you could wrap in thick towels (or more bedding) and use the large plastic totes (like Rubbermaid).

If you don't load them down too heavily, you could save by transporting them to the storage unit.

• annie1971
    10 years ago

Tuesday: The one thing that concerns me about JT packing her own art is the fact that it will be stored on the other end. I would be very careful of packing any art work (AC or not) for storage in the south because of the humidity and bugs. AC does not mean balanced humidity, certainly not for art work). I would never use plastic unless it is shrink wrapped and, even then I'm not sure. Now we're back to getting professional opinions and what to do when it is successfully transported to storage. Getting it there is one thing; storing it in the southern climate is another thing. Been there.
    Annie'71

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

You are so right! I wasn't thinking about the air quality, etc in storage.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I've always moved with professional movers because my moves have been work-related. For larger pieces of art and those with glass, the movers built special wooden crates. For the smaller and lighter pieces, they used cardboard boxes shaped to fit. I've been lucky and have had very little breakage in my multiple moves across country.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh IâÂÂm so tired I can barely write. IâÂÂll check back in to give more details on the house search when rested. Due to the listings shortage I cannot begin to tell you how stupid these owners areâ¦trying to jump in with the thought of getting rich on junk. They all looked pretty good in the pictures though. The house today had a big wet mark on the ceiling when we walked in. The lying wench tried to tell us the roof was fine. It was like a sauna inside and the lying wench told the central air worked fine (she had big black standing room fans set up in two corners). The kitchen cabinets had the worse paint job you ever saw and I think her 16 year old son was attempting the cheap backsplash tile install. Door frames were falling off (looked like termites). She would not show us the master or master bath because she had it rented out. I could go on and on. Ignorant $##%^^ ! This was a modest neighborhood with 1950 and 60â homes. It needed at least $150,000 to $175,000 of work. She was about $115,000 over priced for the neighborhood and condition of her house.

I still havenâÂÂt called a local gallery to ask about storing my art. I will update! I did drive around to mail centers and storage centers trying to find the larger picture, mirror boxes and was told they would have to do a âÂÂcustomâ box.

Forgot to mention something good! I did drive by a house today that gave me tinglies; trust me in that this picture does not show how nice it looks in curb appeal in person (see link below). This was a different neighborhood from above and very lovely. We have never owned this style but husband loved it too. I took the advice given here on GW and branched out a bit with heading south. The only reason this house has not sold is that this particular little nook has people mostly going for the older Spanish styles or 50â and 60âÂÂs large ranch styles and other. It is way too large for our downsize plan and would do away with our travel plans and do away with our like of dining out due to the price. In fact itâÂÂs pretty much a no go. But I love it. At least there is ONE house I like.This house would be at least $100,000 more near where I'm living now. The intracoastal waterway is at the end of the street where the multi-million dollar homes are.

Here is a link that might be useful: The House

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Thu, May 30, 13 at 22:26

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Of course it's hard to tell from pictures, but that house looks to be in nice condition. I rather like the outside even though it's not a style I'm usually drawn to.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Fun2BHere, the exterior of that house looks a 100 times better in person, but boo, way too big and pricey for us. I looked at this house today (see link below) and will keep it on my watch list, it's over priced for the neighborhood by about $80,000. It needs only a moderate amount of work. It has cool vintagy details here and there not shown in the pictures. ItâÂÂs on a golf course but not within the actual golf course community. The William sisters live in the actual golf club community so I could wave their way when they golf from my back yard lol. However, we could walk to a strip of trendy outdoor restaurants and lounges, all within a mile.

Here is a link that might be useful: watch list