Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Your Favorite Apps for Iphone, Ipad, et al

User
10 years ago

I haven't seen one of these in awhile, so I thought I would share some new apps I like very much. One is workflowy, a killer list app recommended by someone on this very forum---martinagal. It's phenomenal!

Other relatively new apps:

Tunnelbear / this is an overseas vpn connection....make netflix think you are in Canada or England and get a whole new set of movie choices

Avios keep track of points on several airlines in the one world alliance that convert to avios... more convenient than checking separate sites

Rite Aid probably all pharmacies have this... refill your prescription by scanning the pill bottle.

Air Login Turn your ipad into a second screen for your laptop. In a pinch, this works pretty well.

Some old favorites:

Sonos turns any device into a remote control for the sonos wireless sound system... this is a wonderfully useful app for visitors, too, they can control music, alarms, radio channels from their own phone in the guest room when they download the app

Mint best quick financial snapshot out there, and I have used both ms money and quicken (which actually bought mint a few years ago)

Dropbox for syncing data between apps and programs and between different OS platforms.

I use lots of others on a regular basis--- Fandango, ebay, cardstar (keeps all reward cards digitally), etc.

Would love to know which apps are your favorites and why :-)

Comments (26)

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I mostly use my iPad for reading on the Kindle app, playing Words with Friends and watching videos saved on my computer with AirVideo. I do use ListOmni to keep up with vitamins I need to buy and sometimes, a grocery store list. I also like the HP 12-C calculator app.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Dropbox is the most useful app for me, hands-down. It allows me to access my files at my office, laptop, iPad, and phone. I was even able to use my meditation files in airplane mode last weekend.

Bluefire Reader is an app that allows me to read e-books/textbooks on the iPad and iPhone. My PC's can use Adobe Digital Solutions, but the Apple products cannot.

If you are into buying concert tickets, the LiveNation app has often been faster and gives better seats than the web version.

The Weight Watchers scanner app is disappointing as it doesn't have a lot of items I use in the database. No Chobani or Oikos yogurts?

• newdawn1895
    10 years ago

This is not a app. But, you can go to Zedge for free ring tones.

I live in a very small town, think Mayberry. Now I have the theme for The Andy Griffin show on my phone.

• kevinbentley
    10 years ago

Hi,

My favorite iPhone app is "Worldictionary" which helps me to get instant translation on words which are in different language.

It translates words in 21 languages. Some of them are, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Germany, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish and lot more.

Adding to this, this app can also provide Google/Wikipedia/YouTube Search. It can also be used to translate sentences.

Best,
    Kevin

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

My new (to me) favorite is Flipboard. I could spend hours on it .... news, recipes, design, art, everything. And great pictures.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Newdawn, how neat-- the Mayberry theme song as your ringtone, I love it! I have an app that lets me make my own ringtones from any mp3 file on my phone---literally thousands of songs on my itunes acct. Two of my favorites are "Heard it on the grapevine" and "Blackbird" sung by Chris Colfer of Glee. I love his cover of that song.

That's a no-no, Kevin.

I'm on my way to look at flipboard, thanks Miz !

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Like pinterest, only cooler ! I wonder if this would be a good program type format for things like family reunions? I made my family members all download Tripit for our recent trip to NYC. They STILL asked questions!

• newdawn1895
    10 years ago

Thanks ksml!

• adhneywilson
    10 years ago

I recently bought my iPhone and not having complete knowledge about these brands. I would like to have some experiences if anyone having regarding this. Please share here. Thanks in advance.

microsoft surface promo code
    surface pro promo code

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I've loaded google translate onto my iPad and hope I have wifi on my trip...you can speak or type in a phrase and it will print it out ans say it out loud for you in the desired language....

• iammstuck zone 5
    10 years ago

Genius Scan+ you can scan anything and send it to print, Dropbox, Google drive, or send it to your network. Love it. Great for getting a document to someone (excellent quality pdf) quickly. This is second to Dropbox.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

After hauling my too-heavy laptop around in my carry-on bag on this last trip, I finally gave in and ordered an Ipad Mini this morning from Apple. I am so looking forward to using some of the apps listed here once it arrives in 8 days . . . and counting (LOL)!
    Lynn

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I just got the Google Nexus 10 tablet and discovered an app that lets me send and receive texts right from the tablet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mighty Text

• indygo
    10 years ago

OK, so is there an app tha lets you edit microsoft word documents that you receive via an email attachment? Or better yet, an app that lets you edit a pdf fial? There's has to be.

• jrueter
    10 years ago

Vons grocery store - coupons, specials and my list
    Weatherbug
    NPR and TED for interesting podcasts
    GasBuddy - especially when travelling
    Yelp - great for finding restaurants, services
    Pandora - music
    DH uses MyFitnessPal to track workouts and weight loss - loves it
    Reminders. On the 4S I can use Siri to set reminders. I can also use the location function to remind me to get gas when I leave the house in the morning!
    I also use notes a lot - I have lists of books I want to read, dimensions of windows and tables, etc so I can get the right size curtain or table cloth if I find one I like, a running list of things to pick up next time I am at Target or Home Depot.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Gees, this sure brought out the spammers, didn't it?

While it's here I'm going to add that I just started using My Fitness Pal app on my iPhone and am loving it! All I have to do is scan the bar code, check it and it's done. Well one more step if I'm eating more than one serving, but it makes easy to use MFP even easier!

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

Justgottome,
    Can you explain what you mean by scanning the barcode.
    Does that just give you the calories or what?

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Sure. all you do is touch the bar code icon at the bottom right of the page on your phone where you add food and it opens up your camera. Just aim the camera at the barcode of the item you want to add to your food intake. You don't even have to click the camera, it recognizes the bar code and gets the information from it. Then you tap the check mark at the top right of your phone and it's done!
    Here's info from there site....

Here is a link that might be useful: MFP bar code info

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Here's a video on it thought it must be an older version that I have because the bar code icon was in a different place. You can see how it scans it though.

Edited to add that it adds in all the nutritional values that you have set up to show on your food intake page. I added sodium and it shows that on the things I added that way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bar code scan

This post was edited by justgotabme on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 2:01

• MarkH1
    10 years ago

Hi fellow parents,

I am looking for beta testers for Brainfeed, my new iPad app. Brainfeed features educational, inspiring and entertaining short videos for children 7+, tweens, teens, and even inquisitive adults. Videos are selected to be age-appropriate, curriculum-based, engaging and visually stimulating. And the good part is the app provides a safe, child-friendly viewing experience free of advertising and inappropriate content.

Brainfeed will launch on the App Store in February 2014. However, before I launch, I want to get feedback from parents and children to make sure that there are no teething problems when it goes live.

As a thank you for testing the app I will give you a complementary 6 month subscription to the service, with absolutely no obligation once the trial period ends. If youâÂÂre interested in helping out, please send me an email at mark@brainfeed.org.

If you want more information before committing please see my website at www.brainfeed.org.

Thank you,
    Mark Hoffman
    mark@brainfeed.org

Here is a link that might be useful: Brainfeed App

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

For scanning I like Turboscan, scan and send, amazing.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

For scanning I like Turboscan, scan and send, amazing.

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

My new app that I am in love with is for my business. It is called Get Paid.

You first choose your client name, then you hit the start button when you are "on the clock for a client" and then the stop button when you are done. You pre-fill in the client info (name, address, company name, phone, email, etc.) into a contact list, and then into each job you put the price (either price per job or price per hour) and the app does the rest. You can have it send the invoice right away, right there, from their driveway if you like, before you leave! It has been a huge help to me keepng track of my time. I started using it at the beginning of January.

It gets terrible ratings, I have no idea why. I use it along with others I met at that Design Camp.

Can't wait to look at these others ones listed above. Thanks for this thread!

Here is a link that might be useful: Get Paid

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

That sounds like a great one Bee , do you use it also when you are researching things on your own for
    a client ?

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

My rate applies to just when I am on-site with clients, or representing them on-site. Also if I am shopping exclusively for them, or if shopping together. If I am shopping for several clients at one time, I don't charge them. I have built my office hours (and those multi-client shopping trips) into my hourly rate. Keeps them from worrying about how I spend my time when we are apart. And it also keeps me from being resentful for spending so much time in the office doing research.

• HU-882096042
    last year

While there are many types of calculators, one of the most common ones is a percentage calculator which calculates percentage increase / decrease, percentage of, what percentage is, etc. For this, the best one for android playstore IMO is this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Microtechsoft.percentage It is a paid app, but only 99 cents which i think is worth it since there are no ads to distract