Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Luncheon Menu?

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

I am doing a luncheon for the teachers at my youngest daughter's school. It will be for 12 women.

In the past people usually do breakfasts, which ends up being a bunch of bagels and pastries and too many calories!

So I decided I would do a lunch instead, and try to make it healthy and light, with an indulgence or two?

It has to be stuff served at room temp. Here is my tentative menu;

Spinach salad with maple poppy dressing and vinaigrette on the side, with apples, red onion and toasted pecans (all also on the side).

A fresh fruit plate with mango, berries, etc

Cold tandoori chicken (maybe with yogurt sauce and pita?)

A leek and goat cheese crustless quiche

Homemade meringue cookies or pavlovas

Fresh brewed herbal iced tea, unsweetened

Any other ideas? I don't want to make it spartan, but I know they kind of don't like that parents usually bring a lot of goodies, and who needs that?

Comments (42)

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I have a nice couscous salad with cranberries and an orange dressing which is always a hit.
    I f you want the recipe let me know.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Funny, i was just thinking I might need a grain salad or bean salad or tabbouleh thing.

Yes, if you don't mind posting!

Thanks

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Maybe throw in some nice multi grain rolls and butter for those who choose to indulge. I'd also leave out anything with raw onions since not everyone can eat them and their breath will smell funny if they have to go back to class later. Your menu sounds delish.

Lyban, would you be willing to share that couscous recipe? Sounds yum.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

Here you go:

This is a beautiful salad to serve as part of a buffet meal. The sweet orange dressing goes so well with the dried cranberries, chickpeas and basil. Always have a container of orange juice concentrate on hand in the freezer for cooking and baking purposes; you can remove the amount needed while still frozen.
    1 cup chicken stock

1 cup couscous
    3/4 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed/drained
    1/3 cup dried cranberries
    1/4 cup chopped green onion
    1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
    basil or parsley

Dressing
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp. Orange juice concentrate
    2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
    2 tsp grated orange rind
    1 tsp minced fresh garlic

Bring the stock to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat. Stir in the couscous, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl, fluff with a fork and cool.
    Stir the chickpeas, cranberries, green onions, red peppers and basil or parsley into the cooled couscous.
    To make the dressing, whisk the olive oil, orange juice concentrate, lemon juice, orange rind, honey and garlic in a small bowl. Pour over the couscous mixture and toss to coat.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, that does sound nice, thanks Lyban!

Dedtired, That's a good point, plus it's the kind of thing that is fine leftover. And it solves another issue I have; I have a five tier silver tray that i really want to set up.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Yes, to the rolls! Not everyone is always eating light.
    However, the dessert is way to light for me for such a light lunch. I would ADD cheesecake. For those who don't want it, they don't have to eat it and can eat the meringue only.

I have worked serving/making food for many years and for all those who say they want great light foods, 20% mean it, the rest just want something wonderful and skip dinner, if they choose.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Your menu sounds lovely! Would you mind sharing the leek and goat cheese crustless quiche?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Sounds delish! I agree about raw onion. I brush, floss, and water pik and I still taste raw onion for the next day or so. I agree about adding nice multigrain rolls with butter. And I agree about a little deeper indulgence for dessert, though cheesecake is probably too much for lunch. Maybe a nice tiramisu...sweet and light.

• localeater
    9 years ago

As chairman of Teacher Appreciation Luncheon for several years running, your menu looks great.
    Agree you need to add rolls, and butter, and switch one of the desserts to something more fattening(sorry). Brownies(no nuts) are good, so is cheesecake.
    I would also switch from spinach salad to caesar, its just more universally liked, and many people will have a scoop of chicken salad on a bed of greens and a simpler salad will compete less. Plus, spinach is a vegetable that is contraindicated with many medicines.
    I usually include a crock pot of soup, which always goes.
    I would switch the herbal ice tea for a selection of canned and bottled drinks; flavored seltzer, ice tea, and yes, cola and diet cola. Teachers like/need caffeine. A bowl of wrapped peppermints is appreciated.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Thanks for that recipe, Lyban. I just copied and pasted into my Recipes folder. I'll have to try it soon.

I'm one of those people who cannot eat raw onion (although oddly, scallions don't bother me). I get so frustrated whenever I go to Whole Foods because every darn takeout salad they have has red onions in it.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Soft breadsticks?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bumblebeez,

Yes, you are right. Breads! Plus we have so many wonderful bread makers in my area.

I hear what you say about eating light. But, IMHO, the reason people say they want light food and don't eat it is because so often the light food is not very good! Take fruit, for example. When I have run these events at large schools, you always have someone who volunteers to bring fruit salad. Then they bring in a plastic supermarket tray of unripe (or slimy!) melon. No wonder people eat brownies. Don't even get me started on crudites.

It's actually like a post i had here last fall about an event in our home. I ended up serving one indulgent dessert, plus baked apples. The baked apples, with artisanal vanilla yogurt and homemade granola on the side, were light but a very big hit. Because they were GOOD. Same thing with one of my other fave desserts; fresh sliced peaches splashed with OJ, grand marnier and cinnamon. I serve that all the time in the summer with a shortbread cookie. People go crazy for it. Because I only do it when I can get local ripe peaches, and store them in a bag a few days to perfect ripeness. It is my experience that everyone loves fruit --- if you take the time and effort to get perfect fruit.

Ellendi, sure will, I have to type it up. Plus I have to bore you a little with a story related to it.

Annie, really? I use only red onions, and they should be mild. If they are that bothersome, I think they are bad (so common in restaurants!). I would put them on the side, for sure. Maybe I could pickle them. I will think about dessert more. Mabe tiny tiny cupcakes, for a little indulgence.

Local,
    Thanks for your ideas. Peppermints is a great idea! Also to go containers for those who would like to take dinner home too! I love the soup idea - what kinds have you made?

Because it is a small school, I volunteered to do this event all by myself. I am going to take a little license with it. I really want to make it special, with linen, silver, flowers etc. But I just can't bear to serve soda! Aqua Panna, Pellegrino, lemon, lime, iced tea. I want them to feel light and healthy when it's over. When I asked the Principal if anyone had allergies, she said "no, we are all just on whacky diets all the time". That was when I thought --- I'm not going to give these poor women another huge pastry tray to stare at all day. I want to give them something really good for them that they can enjoy too.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ellendi, It's funny that you asked me to "share" the Cheese and Leek Tart recipe. because it comes from a cookbook called "Share".

The "Share" cookbookwas created to raise awareness for a charity called Women for Women International (WfWI). I recently held a great fundraiser in my home where we did a potluck of "Shared" recipes and talked with one of the cookbooks creators about Share and WfWI.
    I hadn't heard of WfWI before getting involved a few months ago. It is charity that gives women training to become economically self sufficient in places such as the Congo, Rwanda, Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq.The charity has helped nearly half a million women in the ~20 years its has been around.
    "Share" the cookbook tells the stories of women helped by WFWI and also shares their recipes! Recipes also come from chefs like Alice Waters, and Jamie Oliver and humanitarians like Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu, plus some celebrities like Meryl Streep, Mia Farrow, etc.

So far from the book we've made the tart, a beef rendang, chicken tandoori, and a really wonderful almond and orange zest cake. I like the melange of recipes but the photography is also great, and the stories of the women. Profits all go back to the charity.

Anyway, the recipe i used is the "Cheese and Leek Tart". It was pretty simple. They make it with a crust, i didn't use one. As long as you let it cool before you slice it you don't need a crust (and it saves you calories so you can eat more tart!)

For one 10" tart:
    2T butter
    4 leeks, washed, sliced thinly, white and pale green part only
    3 large eggs
    1 c light cream
    2 T of your favorite mustard
    1 cup grated sharp cheddar
    1 cup goat cheese crumbles (I used Whole Foods')

Melt the butter in a frying pan and gently cook leeks 10-15min, until soft. Lightly beat the eggs in a bowl. Add the mustard and cream, stir to mix. Using a lightly buttered quiche pan or pie dish, spoon the leeks into the bottom of the pan. Stir the cheeses into the egg mixture, then pour the mixture over the leeks.

Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until set. Let come to room temperature before slicing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Cookbook and Great Cause

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

You have such a good plan Mtn. Go for the healthy, high quality foods and wow them with linens, flowers and silver. I've been involved with teacher luncheons on a much larger scale with help. I can tell you, the teachers appreciate all the hard work and will absolutely devour the healthy food vs. the typical fare. We used to give them flowers or some sort of gift. Some of the local businesses would donate gift certificates for: manicure, massage, flowers, books, dinner, etc. We live in a small town and business are very generous. If that wouldn't quite work (private school?) then ask parents to donate to a gift fund and/or give a gift certificate. We shamelessly solicited both types of contributions!

Now I have a DD who teaches high school. I see it from her perspective. The parents in her school are very generous and find many ways to thank the teachers. It's all good!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Your menu sounds delicious! Another idea for a heftier but light dessert would be some sort of strawberry shortcake using sponge, angel food or pound cake as the base with creme fraiche on the side.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, BonnieAnn. Someone else is working on the gift thing. It is a private school, but businesses seem to support most all schools it seems to me.

JoaniePoanie, That's a super idea. It looks pretty, plus you can make it as decadent as you want! (or not)

• edeevee
    9 years ago

"IMHO, the reason people say they want light food and don't eat it is because so often the light food is not very good! "

Agreed. This menu sounds fabulous.

Can I bother you for the maple poppy seed dressing recipe?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, of course, Edeevee

The maple dressing is from a salad on Epicurious. I took it upon myself to add poppyseeds because, if you serve the dressing on the side, it looked a little blah to me.

Whisk together:
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup pure maple syrup
    3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
    2 teaspoons sugar

Slowly drizzle in while whisking:
    1/2 cup vegetable oil

Add in and stir:
    1T poppy seeds

Et voila.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Anyone who is on warfarin or similar blood thinners cannot eat much spinach. This might pose a problem for vegetarian/ vegans, as the couscous is made with chicken broth and the quiche contains cheese, so there would be no main course for them. I agree it all sounds delicious but would make sure there is one completely animal product free option and label it as such. People who might be too timid to ask will be relieved.

With respect to dessert; these teachers will have to go back to the classroom for the rest of the day and don't need anything heavy. If you do decide to serve anything other than delicious pavlovas (homemade???) I would get desserts like cheesecake In the tiny bite sizes.

The date of this thread was double checked before replying :-)

• suero
    9 years ago

For a vegan couscous, substitute vegetable stock for the chicken broth.

A friend of mine makes a delicious vegan quinoa pilaf. Proportions are 1 cup quinoa, 2 cups liquid. She uses 1/2 vegetable stock and 1/2 water.

Saute chopped onion and quinoa to toast the quinoa, add the liquid and cook covered over low heat. Towards the end of cooking (almost all liquid has been absorbed) add veggies. She usually adds sauteed mushrooms, cut up cooked baby artichokes and chopped asparagus spears. Peas or snow peas also work. For non-vegans, she serves crumbled goat cheese on the side.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Sounds GREAT, would add some rolls or bread, maybe some herb butter.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

That sounds great, Suero!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Suero,
    Umm, anything that starts with toasted quinoa has me!

KSWL, The census is small enough that I was able to ask - no allergies or vegetarians or vagans. Dumb question? Are blood thinners for older people? I doubt anyone is over 45. I try to get raw spinach into everyone all the time (i use it instead of lettuce in sandwiches for example). I was not aware of the issue you mention!

I do make mini pavlovas, which I then fill with berries and serve with a mango puree. But they are tricky if the weather is humid, which could be the case in June in CT. So I might do various meringue cookies, which i also make and are so healthy.

I am going to have to excuse myself now, I am getting very hungry.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I just thought of gazpacho.....it's tasty, light, and refreshing.....I just don't think of hot crock pot soups in warm weather.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Thanks Mtn!

• edeevee
    9 years ago

Mmmm, thanks, mtn. I think we'll have that salad this weekend.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Lots of people in their forties are on Coumadin or similar drugs. But since there are no Vs in your group there are plenty of other things for anyone avoiding spinach. Its so humid here I've practically given up on making pavlovas, no one wants them in the dead of winter!

Your menu sounds delightful! I admit I am one of the moms who used to take a bagel breakfast to the teachers' lounge at my kids' schools because it was so easy.

• chickadee2_gw
    9 years ago

Here's another couscous recipe that is very good. .The curry flavor is there, but it's very mild.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barefoot Contessa's Couscous Salad

• lovestowalk
    9 years ago

I would certainly enjoy your original menu!! Sounds VERY tasty to me.

I recently made a spinach salad quite similar to the one you suggested but used cherries (yes, they were $$$) instead of apples, toasted walnuts, and topped it with goat cheese. Everyone seemed to enjoy it.

It is very thoughtful of you to think of your daughter's teachers. I am sure they will enjoy their lunch!!

This post was edited by lovestowalk on Thu, May 22, 14 at 23:49

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I had a cousin over who was on coumadin and they have to avoid Vit K which is in such a wide variety of things. I've cooked for vegans and celiac and all other kinds of allergies and such, but that one was one of the harder ones. No greens, broccoli, brussel sprouts, prunes, blueberries, blackberries, grapes, herbs, chile, curry, paprika, cabbage....and it goes on.

• localeater
    9 years ago

Hi Mountain, just checked in on your thread and saw that you had asked for soup suggestions. I also saw someone mention that it might be too warm for soup where you are in June and that is a good point, we have already had our last luncheon here(Friday) but it is still quite cold in Maine.
    My soups are in general driven by my garden or the farmers market. I can always get local carrots, so I am a big fan of Moosewood Carrot Ginger Soup- plus the color is gorgeous. Where you are, local peas should be available, so Epicurious(or other) spring pea with mint would be lovely.
    You have a lovely menu without the soup. The crustless quiche sounds divine and I will probably make this weekend myself.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Hope Lyban is reading...I just noticed you don't have the amount of honey listed in your dressing recipe (couscous salad). it sounds so good, I hope to make it this weekend and don't want to mess it up. Thanks.

ML

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Mad, I'm glad you caught that. I have it on my list too, to try.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

maddilee and ellendi,

Sorry about that error, I just checked my recipe and it is 3 tablespoons of honey.
    You could do 2 if you wanted to.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Thanks Lyban!

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Yes, thanks. Glad you stopped back :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again everyone for your input.

Based on your suggestions, I changed the salad to baby lettuces (farm fresh!), added assorted rolls and butter from our wonderful bakery, and also picked up teeny tiny gourmet cupcakes (in grown up flavors like salted caramel, lemon, etc.). I also bought nice to go containers at the party store.

I still had the fresh fruit platter with mango, berries, melon, the cold tandoori chicken, and the leek and goat cheese crustless quiche. But I also made a pearl cous cous salad, based on suggestions here.

I served Panna water and Pellegrino sodas.

It went well, and I was very glad for the excellent suggestions I got here. The teachers really noticed and appreciated that it was a lighter, healthier menu, and homemade. Since it was only 12 of them it was something I was able to do pretty much by myself so that's why we could do something a little different.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Sounds wonderful...so glad it went well! I'm sure the teachers were most appreciative of your kindness.

• texanjana
    9 years ago

I am sure the teachers appreciated it, and it sounds delicious. Thanks to everyone who shared recipes here, can't wait to try them.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

You are a good egg, mtn. I'll bet the school will really feel it when your kids age out!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

That sounds great!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

You're making me hungry, mtn! What a really nice thing to do and I know those teachers appreciated it so much.

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x