Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hard way to learn a lesson - Long

Posted by oakleyok (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 14 at 15:33

This is for all pet lovers and for those of you who know someone with pets, especially dogs.

Some of you may remember how our beautiful Boone Dog showed up at our house in the country about 3-4 years ago, looking like he was on his last leg. He's part Rottie, part German Shephard. But boy is he gentle and will bark at any stranger who approaches our porch.

And last summer I lost my beloved Gracie, an English Pointer. My dog. Boone is my dh's dog.

Well, every summer I give the dogs and cats their flea and tick meds I get from the vet. They are SO expensive. What I do is wait until I find my first flea of the summer then buy it. I hadn't seen one flea or tick this summer which is probably due to our drought.

Except Boone had a tick last week and no one told me. It wouldn't have made a difference though. It's usually no big deal. It is now because he's fighting for his life.

Rewind to Gracie. She had a knot on her shoulder and I took her to our country vet who works on small breeds and cattle. He said it was a swollen muscle, and gave her a relaxer for it. She died shortly after of cancer when another doctor looked at her.

Last Thursday night Boone was given a rib bone against my STRONG objections. It's been an ongoing battle between me and DH. During the night, B. threw up several times with shards of bones. He'd done it before, which is why I kept telling DH, "No more bones!!"

He laid around all day, just not doing well. DH took him to our country vet because we suspected a blockage in his intestines. Vet didn't do bloodwork (he never does and it never bothered me, I always thought it was a vet's way to make extra $$ for no reason.) Boone was given anesthesia, and X-rays showed no blockage. Vet said he'd be fine, his tummy is irritated, and not to feed him for 24 hours.

By the next morning (Sat.) he was practically listless. But he'd drink water, lots of it. Seemed very depressed, and hadn't eaten in almost 48 hours. We thought it was from a bad reaction to the anesthesia.

We said to he!! with it, we're taking him to the best pet hospital/emergency room in the City! Left here at 7am.

The very first thing the doc did was a blood test. This 81 lb. dog's red blood cell count was 11. Normal is 37-50. The doctor is 90% sure it's Rocky Mtn. Spotted Fever! It begins 5 days after a tick has been on the body for at least 5 hours. Bingo.

Boone is still there. He's not out of the woods yet, but after 2 transfusions the count went up to 20. A bit later it went up to 21, which shows he made that extra cell all on his own, which is good. Best news ever! Plus he's on strong meds. He's walking just a bit, and will eat if he's hand fed. :) Now it's just waiting to see if his body will keep making the red blood cells, and not destroy them the same time.

I am SO angry at myself for not keeping him on the flea and tick med all year long, even though it gets frigid here.

And I am LIVID at the country vet. No matter what the outcome, I will be giving him a call just to let him know what happened. And you can be sure I'll let him know that as soon as B got to the hospital, the first thing they did was a blood test.

Had the country vet done his job, Boone would be home with us and not in grave danger.

We'll talk to the doc again tonight for an update, so keep your fingers crossed for him. We can't bear to lose our other dog one year after Grace.

Don't wait to buy meds, get them now, no matter the cost.

And if all goes well, I'm buying health insurance for pets! lol

BTW, my husband learned *his* lesson and won't give Boone any more bones.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hard way to learn a lesson - Long

So sorry. I too skipped a frontline and my Golden got Lyme Disease. We put her on glucosamine but she lived 8!more years and was 15 when she died.

So yes I know what you mean!

o

First, I am so glad Boone is doing better and sincerely hope he recovers. What a scare! And very good advice.

We do keep our Sarge on meds for fleas and ticks year round, but living in the country and where we do, it is necessary. And he still has had a tick or two! Fortunately our vet does do a blood test, or I know they do when he goes in for his yearly checks. He was diagnosed this year with a thyroid problem that we had not really noticed (slightly decreased energy and appetite) which we just chalked up to his aging and the warmer weather which is usual for him in a way. So glad for those tests and what can be learned. The medicine Sarge is on has put him back at his peak.

o

I am so sorry that you're going through this but thankfully Boone seems to be recovering.

Our vet is insistent that we give Heartworm and Fea and Tick year round. And he does a routine blood draw at our annual check up.

I hope Boone continues to improve.

o

So sorry this happened, keep us posted on his progress !

o

Thanks for sharing. I am guilty of stopping meds over the winter as well.

I will rethink my practice too. I love my dogs like crazy.

I hope your Boone recovers. So sorry for the loss of your Gracie.

o

Oh, no Oakleyok! I'll keep praying for a speedy recovery for Boone.

o

Good for you for getting a second opinion! I think bloodwork is key to knowing about a dog's health, just as it is with humans.

I tend to let the flea and tick meds slide in January and February. This is a good warning.

o

Poor Boone and Oakley. It is difficult to know how much/what tests to do for a dog, and we do rely heavily on our vets' best judgment and practices. Glad you are getting good care now.

Ever since I started on the Frontline I have been wondering about deer ticks and Lyme. It seems like the tick could burrow in before the meds had time to kill it, doesn't it? I mean, I know the meds supposedly either kill the adult fleas before they can be ingested and reproduce, or else kill the eggs, but does it give instant death to ticks? I wonder. Maybe you couldn't have prevented this.

It's hard not to let the past trauma with Gracie increase your stress right now, but try to deal only with what's in front of you, cause you are helping Boone in the present.

o

Jamies, I think the Frontline repels ticks. If they take a bite they back off. lol. I could be wrong, but if Boone had it in his system, the tick wouldn't have been on him for the 5 hours it takes.

I was surprised at all the things they can find out from a blood test.

It's kind of scary knowing there are probably more ticks out here carrying the disease. My DGS already had a tick on him.

We're supposed to hear from the vet in an hour or so. He said he'd be doing more testing later because there isn't a test to determine spotted fever 100%. But he was pretty certain that's what Boone has. That was another shocker for me. No test?

o

So very sorry to hear about your much loved Boone. I hope he mends well.

I keep my two dogs on monthly Comfortis and Heartguard all year long. I wouldn’t dream of missing a dose! It’s expensive, but there’s no way I would ever take ANY chances with their health and well being.

o

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. That's horrible your vet just sort of passed it off.

Thank you for the reminder about flee and tick meds. My Dh is out of town for an extended trip and I have been lax about this. Off to put it on now

o

Our "Sammy", Callie, went to MN-Lakes country last Oct. with DW & DD. Walked on trails in the Mississippi-headwaters area. They did find a few ticks on her fur. One must have bitten her though, because she did test positive for toxoplasmosis (?). later that fall on a routine vet wellness exam!

We DID use Frontline all summer, and her last pill was ~ 3-4wks b4 this trip. We have long went to a well-regarded Vet-clinic just west of Fargo for many years. So...Callie had to go thru a pill-regimen I think for a little while.

The vets did say they weren't that fond of Frontline anymore, and were switching to Parastar as their primary tick-preventative. They said Frontline seems to taper-off too fast after 2 wks.! Frontline is mainly rx'd as 1 pill per month I believe. So we bought the Parastar this spring.

At THIS Springs wellness-exam, Callie STILL tested as a FAINT-positive for TP. Vets said it takes a looong time to totally vanish in the blood! Luckily...Callie never did show any physical symptoms of the infection!!! She was always the same hard-charging, loveable, and often LOUD, Sammy!

So...we were kinda disappointed in Frontline.

Up HERE, we've usually given the last pill in early-mid Oct. It's so cold here that we rarely start up again until late March!

Faron

o

Update. Boone's red b.c. has gone up to 24! As of last night. Doc was getting ready to give him an I.V. of nutrients. Hopefully it went up a lot higher overnight.

Nanny, I never skip on the Sentinel (heart med), but I was more concerned about fleas. I've never heard of any pets around here getting RMSF. It just made sense to wait until I saw my first flea then start the meds.

Denali, I'm going to get my nerve up and call that vet this morning to inform him of Boone's condition. I'll be sweet as pie though, but I do hope he gets my very loud subliminal message. I'd like to put it in the newspaper so other pet owners know this. lol.

Faron, Callie sounds like a fighter! The good thing about RMSF in dogs is that Boone will be immune to it from now on.

DH is going over there today to check on him so I'm hoping Boone will come home with him. :)

o

Oh, Oakley - how frightening! Hopefully Boone will make a full recovery.

Faron are you mixing up heartworm meds and flee/tick prevention in you mind? As far as I know, Frontline is only a liquid applied between the shoulder blades and not offered in pill form but maybe I'm not fully informed. Heartworm meds are pill or chew form for a disease transmitted by mosquitoes, not ticks. Either way, thankfully Callie's issue was caught and treated.

o

Frontline is that liquid that you put on their backs, it is NOT a pill so I have no idea what faron is talking about. Heartworm pills do not treat to keep ticks off. I suppose there may be an all in one that I'm not aware of but it is not called "frontline".

My dog is allergic to the liquid that you put on her back so it makes it hard. All I can really do is keep a close eye on her.

o

Glad to hear Boone is doing better.

Faron may have meant Trifexis. One pill that takes care of fleas, ticks and heartworms in one monthly dose. Our lab is on it.

ML

o

Glad to hear Boone is doing better!

We are as careful with our pup's health as we are our own. My pup is my baby. I am thankful for our wonderful vets and also we have a veterinary teaching hospital here. Our pup has blood work once a year - it is very important and shows a good bit in a dog's health.

Our pup is allergic to the tick treatment. She is on flea meds year round. We do not do the liquid on the neck kind - but the oral pill that contains the heartworm and flea meds. Tick meds can be used in addition, but we can't use it on ours. We have to check her nightly for ticks.

tina

o

Maddielee - trifexis is what we use for our pup. I didn't think it had tick protection, only flea. I'm going to look it up - that would be great!

tina

o
trifexis does not prevent ticks )))

I thought we had been told that, but I looked it up. Fleas, heartworm and 3 other parasites. See the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: trifexis

o

Tina, wow! We were told that it does prevent ticks...we've been using it for a couple years, never have seen a tick or flea. I'll ask my vet (neighbor) when he gets home tonight. thanks.

ML

o

We use K9 Advantix II - it's for fleas, ticks and mosquitos.

This is from Bayer's web site:

K 9 Advantix II is a once-a-month topical application for dogs and puppies that REPELS and kills ticks, fleas, and mosquitoes. K9 Advantix II contains imidacloprid, permethrin and pyriproxyfen that work in concert to REPEL and kill parasites that can potentially transmit disease-causing organisms.

Key Benefits

• REPELS and kills ticks, fleas, and mosquitoes. REPELS biting flies and kills lice, too
• Kills ALL life stages of fleas and prevents development of fleas, flea eggs, larvae, and pupae
• Prevents fleas on a treated dog from reinfesting the home
• Kills fleas within 12 hours, and kills reinfesting fleas within 2 hours
• Waterproof

Target Parasites

Ticks, fleas, mosquitos, biting flies, lice

Here is a link that might be useful: Advantix II

o

Our Sparky was on Revolution year round after he contracted mange in November a few years ago. It was horrible and misdiagnosed. Previously he was on one of the other meds but I like others would stop it once the ground froze. Revolution is one of the only meds (supposedly) that prevents everything including mange.

FYI how Sparky got mange was probably from a mange infected fox coming into our backyard in suburbia. Sparky probably smelled him and followed the track in our yard picking up the mites.

o

Well Oakley. You have done your good deed for the day.

My Sparky (3 yr old adopted mutt that my boys adore) and Abby (14 yr old dachshund) were on Trifexis and a pump spray along the backbone. I guiltily admit that I stopped both when we were having such a harsh winter because the darn Trifexis is so expensive.

I took Sparky in to get his shots this morning and he has roundworm and hookworm. The vet treated him and checked him for heart worm and we are starting his meds back. Abby will get checked for same in morning.

So your experience taught my my lesson. I will use the meds year round from now on too. Thank you!! Keep us posted on your baby.

To all of the posters. My vet doesn't sell the frontline or others anymore. When I asked about the products, he said they don't work. Wonder if that is hooey to sell more Trifexis.

o

Ooops!
Thanks for catching my error guys!

I MEANT....we've usually APPLIED the last Frontline dose in early Oct. each fall!! The Frontline obviously "weakened" enough by their trip to the MN-woods/trails. I can't remember the name of the medication (pills) they Rx'd for Callie though...

And yes, we do give her the monthly heartworm PILL...:-)

I checked the box...it is "Parastar" by Novartis Animal Health, for tick treatment.
For the heartworm pill, also by NAH, it's called Sentinel-Spectracide.

Faron

o

Well guys, this is...unusual. And Red lover, I'm glad you heeded my warning! lol

Got all the tests back. Boone not only has Rocky M.S.F., but two other tick born diseases! Canine Ehrlchiosis, and Canine Anaplasmosis.

Our heart's dropped when we heard the news, but the doctor was happy. That's because it's all been pinpointed and they know the exact med to give him. He's been on a antibiotic for RMSP already.

THREE??? Wow.

We'll find out around 10 in the morning if he can come home. That's because after his I.V. last night for fluids and nourishment, his red blood cells "spread out" which is completely normal, and his count went down to 18.

If his count continues to go up he can come home.

Boy we sure miss him. Both of us have learned a lot from this.

o

My beagles had a very bad reaction to frontline too. Itched the entire month it was on, terribly :(
We use the biospot collars and put them on when they go outside and leave them on for a little while after. (We also check the dogs VERY carefully every time they come in).
We see ticks on them once in a while and the ticks are always dead without ever having sucked in blood, so it seems the collars are doing their job.
Before we used the collars, Bailey Beagle got a very mild case of lyme. We treated him holistically (I think the nosode was called lisin) and it went away- yay!

o

Oak-

I'm SO glad for your news!!!!

Faron

o

Our vet changed our dog over to Trifexis about a year ago at the time of his yearly check-up. We were shocked at how much more expensive it is than what we previously used (Sentinel I think it was) and it wasn't that cheap either. So far so good, but he's a big lab and takes meds and most anything else very well. On Sentinel he did get a tick or so now and then but we usually spotted it right away as it was generally up near his nose or ears. We still have some Frontline around somewhere and use it occasionally when we know Sarge might be running more in the woods.

Oak, I'm so glad your Boone is getting better. As I'm writing this, I'm hoping he's snuggled in safe and sound back in his own bed with you and your DH!

o

Good news that he is on the mend Oak, thanks for the update !

o

He's on his way home as I type this! I'll get more details later, especially what his red blood cell count is. But he's holding his own which is good.

He's still weak, so we'll be really pampering him. There's also a lean steak waiting for him. In small doses. :)

o

I guess I have not thought of the Trifexis as expensive because it combines two treatments (flea and heartworm). I would NEVER not treat a dog for heartworm prevention.

Glad to hear Boone will soon be back home. I do hope you will be changing vets.

o

I'm sorry Oakly! This thread certainly inspired me to get this month's fronline plus on my dog right away. It was a week+ overdue and I just hadn't gotten to it. I had not seen anything though

o

So glad he's coming home! yeah!!

o

Oakley. I haven't checked in very much lately. I'm so sorry to hear of Boone's heart worm. We use prevention and have annual tests.
My extended family has gone through the treatment for heart worms and I have examined a preserved dog heart filled with them. And yes, this is easily overlooked. Thank you for the reminder.

o

Gold, he doesn't have heartworm, he has rocky mnt. spotted fever along with two other tick born diseases.

Tina, the only thing we'll let the old doctor do is shots. He will take a blood test on Boone tomorrow per the hospital phoning him. Saves us a longish drive.

I was so angry. When Boone came home yesterday (he's on a ton of meds), I had to go to the vet to buy the flea/tick med, and he was out of the med! So I had to drive to the next town over, cursing all the way because it was hot and humid. lol

He looks good, except his eye's aren't happy, if you KWIM.

Still very sick, his red blood count was only 20 when he came home, hence the test tomorrow. But he's eating great!

o

what an ordeal it's a good sign he's eating well though.

o

So sorry for Boone. He doesn't realize how fortunate he is to have devoted humans, as every dog to but doesn't. Hoping for a full recovery!

o

I'm glad Boone is improving, and I'm glad he has you to take care of him.

o

Just wanted to say how touched I've been, all this time, by Boone's story: how he came to you and how wonderful you have bern to him. So glad he's healing.

o

That's great news that he's eating! Always a good sign.
I'm praying for good news today with his blood test.

o

Praying for Boone, your poor doggy. Please give him extra hugs!

o

Thank you, all! His blood test came back great. His number is 21, which means it rose two points in two days. He's still not out of the woods until he gets to 35, but boy is he doing better.

I saw a definite difference in his looks today since he left. More alert, his tummy isn't as swollen, and after brushing him his fur is almost shiny. The appetite is fantastic!

The bad news is since the prednisone makes him extremely thirsty (he drinks two bowls of water a day, not including outside water), he's peeing in the house if we don't take him out soon enough.

The good news is he's only done it on the wood floor so far. lol. He's got to go out every hour or two or he'll have an accident.

Here's a picture I took of him last year.

photo IMG_4869_zps18407a69.jpg

o

What a beautiful boy.

o

That's a cute pic!! I wouldn't mind that big guy as well!

Faron

o

Thank you. He is the ultimate dream dog personality wise. I was shocked to learn he weighs 81 pounds. lol.

Today he's in pain when he walks. He gives off little yelps. One of the symptoms of the disease is joint and muscle pain.

My primary care vet is closed today, I was wanting to get him some light pain meds but the more I think about it, I really don't want more "poison" in him. He's still in the lethargic stage so the more he sleeps the better he feels.

What a horrid horrid disease this has been!

o

I'm letting-out a big "UFFDA!" for all Boone has been through!!!

I hope the worst of this subsides REAL soon!
Sending good wishes from Fargo, ND!

Faron

o

What a beautiful dog and sorry he's in pain. I hope he continues to feel better, oakley.

o

Boone is so beautiful. The "little yelps" you wrote about is breaking my heart.

o

I too remember the story of how you got Boone. I am happy to hear he is doing well, and hope he continues to improve everyday. My lab was sick with what our vet told us was a tick born disease even though all his tick titer (spelling?) tests came back negative. She told us they are finding new tick diseases every year and not all are "named " yet. He had classic symptoms- joint pain and swelling,fever, poor appetitie and was very lethargic :( He too was put on oral steroids and for the first time since puppy hood had accidents in the house from being so thirsty. It wasnt easy to live with since he is 93 lbs ! These were not little puddles lol . We got through it and he is now back to his happy and healthy self , thank goodness.
I will keep you and Boone in my thoughts and hope for a speedy recovery

o

Oh, poor Boone <3 He is such a precious boy - I hope he continues to mend and that joint pain goes away quickly with no lasting effects.

o

Homebodymom, I'm so glad you replied! Do you remember how long it took for your lab to get better?

Boone is a lot better, but still very lethargic, and now the yelps. He will eat like a pig if we let him.

Did your lab yelp from pain? I would love more detailed info! I've done a lot of web searching and can't find anyone whose dog had it, and what to expect.

o

Oakley it was all a big whirlwind nightmare, but i hope this helps-
It took about 3 weeks or so. We had his labs done a few times to keep checking his improvement. He did not yelp but was limping and seemed very stiff and uncomfortable. Once he started the meds all he did was eat,sleep and drink :( He was having accidents while asleep at night- we had to replace all his bedding. I felt so bad for him. I basically let him call the shots- he ate,slept, drank and went outside when he wanted. It seemed loke he was drinking gallons of water. It was like having a newborn again- up every few hours. It felt like it took forever for him to get better, but eventually he came out the other side. This happened this past winter.
It must be horrible to hear Boone yelp. Knowing they are in pain is miserable. I am glad he is home with you now- it must be so scary for them at the vet. For Riley it just took time for the meds to work and lots of rest for his body to heal. He was on prednisone, antibiotics and something for upset stomach.
I hope this helps and that you amd Boone are doing well tonight

o

Thank you so much for going into detail. It was exactly what I wanted to know. Sounds just like Boone, down to every detail!

I read outloud what you wrote to DH, and he felt relieved like I did.

It was a week ago today he went to the ER, and two days before that when he got sick. So I should expect a good change in about 2 weeks?

I figured out why he's yelping. He's doing it thinking one of us is going to walk into him. lol. I got up 3 times during the night and took him out to potty, and he still peed on the floor. He's still hitting the wood and not the rug! lol

His neck was stiff during the night. I had to hold the water bowl up to his face. This morning he's able to drink on his own. I'll probably raise his food and water today.

Most of the time he's a slow walker, but every now and then he'll prance to go outside. That makes me really happy to see!

It's amazing how much we love our pets. DH has been cooking him lean steak and eggs every day. In a cast iron pan so he can get extra nutrients to help the anemia. :)

o

What a beautiful boy! So sorry you are still dealing with the after-effects of this awful disease with Boone, but so glad you have found help here with homebodymom! Isn't this wonderful that we have good folks here who can share like experiences and help each other out in time of need? Never ceases to amaze me! Even if it's just kind words, prayers, and commiseration. Hope things are back to normal with Boone and you Oakley real soon.

o

Oakley it sounds like Boone is getting exactly what he needs- lots of spoiling and TLC ! I think it was about three weeks before Riley really came back to himself. He did remain a little less active for a while afterward but it didnt worry me too much- I knew his body just needed the extra rest to heal. As soon as he was off the prednisone, the horrible thirst was gone really quickly. I am sure your vet will wean him off of it like our vet did for Riley. Since Riley sleeps in our room with us, and all his accidents were at night, I too was very thankful for our wood floors lol !
I LOVE that your DH is making him special meals- he is a keeper ! Give Boone an extra snuggle from me

o

....and give him an extra FOUR or FIVE extra snuggles from me up in Fargo!

Faron

o

If you don't know about puppy training pads, you might want to pick up a package at a pet store. I actually used them for a cat who stopped peeing in the litter box. Apparently there is an attractant in them and it might make clean up a lot easier for you.

o

I've use the pads for pups but figured a big dog would laugh at them. lol. I didn't know they have an attractant in them.

I'll buy some the next time I'm at Walmart. Thanks!

o

The pads come in different sizes - so there is probably something for a larger dog. My pup doesn't like them (she wants to go outside), but I keep some on hand for bad weather.

Yes, make sure your vet weans him off the prednisone and doesn't just have you stop. Poor Boone, the joint pain must be bad. Abby has taken steroids for allergic reactions, but I haven't noticed them making her thirsty - but they do make her hungry.

o

oakleyok,I'm so glad to hear Boone is improving. It's so hard when our furbabies are so sick. He's such a beautiful boy. Thanks for sharing a picture.

This post was edited by justgotabme on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 12:52

o

Homebodymom, I hope you're still around. I'm not getting good vibes about Boone.

Last night we noticed his tummy is pot-bellied, and he gives a slight cough each time he breathes when laying down.

When he's up and about he walks fine and doesn't cough. This morning he found a toad in the backyard and was a bit excited. lol

He urinates every 30 minutes now. We have him restricted from the LR and took up all runners. Makes it easier to clean messes, but we take him outside all the time. At night he's sleeping on the patio, which I may have mentioned above.

We'll contact the vet when it's open, but I'm not feeling good about this. I know it's the Prednisone, and I looked up the symptoms and it makes me believe he now has Cushing's disease/syndrome, which is not good.

Overdosing on prednisone or not being tapered off prednisone causes this.

Did your dog have any of those symptoms?

o

Oak, I am just reading this. I am so sorry for what you are going through. Boone is beautiful.

It looks like once he gets off the meds, he will be OK if it is Cushing's?

I am glad he was excited. That is such a good sign. Give him many hugs and kisses on his wet nose from me!

I will be checking back to see what the vet says.

o

Thank you, Anele. Hopefully good news. We talked to the vet and he said Boone has classic symptoms of Prednisone, and we are starting the weaning process today. Cough and round belly.

Do you or anyone else know when the side effects start to go away once we begin tapering?

I also need to look up probiotics for dogs since Boone will be on antibiotics for possibly six months.

o

Poor sweet Boone! I hope weaning him off the Prednisone is all he needs to get better. Hugs from me too.

o

Hi Oakley- I have been checking each day looking for updates on Boone. I remember looking up symptoms and thinking Riley had Cushings. Our vet ended up starting the taper of the prednisone faster than planned because of the Pred side effects. I do remember the swollen belly but not the coughing. Good news is that his improvement once off the prednisone was very fast. Steroids can be a good thing, but can cause some serious side effects. They made Riley better ( in addition to the antibiotics and the meds for his stomach discomfort) but they made him feel pretty rotten at the same time.
Stay in touch with the vet and stay strong. It sounds like he is getting great care and lots of love. It just seems like it takes forever for them to get well. I know it is so hard to see them sick. When do you bring him back for a follow up ?
Thinking of you and Boone. Will keep checking in

o

Home, Boone is also on stomach meds. Pepcid AC I think.

Did Riley's pred side effects start to taper off when he began the tapering?

Off to order some probiotics. I read quite a bit about them and it sounds like he may need them.

Thanks for checking in! Oh, I forgot. When I talked about this on my FB page, I later found out that many of my friends went out and bought the flea and tick med. :)

o

I am so sorry to hear what Boone is going through. I went through very similar with my Grace (a rottweiler/mastiff mix).. she actually had a functional tumor that released hormones that acted like high levels of prednisone. A different source but same affect. A few things that helped.. keeping the house as quiet as possible. The cushings makes them so easily startled-- an unexpected movement or sound will startle them. Eventually, I had to have Grace on an anti-anxiety med. I also gave her lots of soothing touch and gentle massages.

She was also on antibiotics for a long time-- again, different source (she had surgery to remove the tumor-- which left her very susceptible to other illnesses). Rather than probiotic supplementss, i gave her yogurt which is a natural probiotic. Full fat plain yogurt mixed it in with her food (along with a little bit of pumpkin) and she LOVED it.

Not much I could do about the frequent urination but with her, it was most often a urinary infection. Also a side effect of the disease-- reduced immunity.

All my best to you and Boone-- the effects of the prednisone should lessen as you taper down. Until then, do what you can to keep her calm and relaxed.

B

o

Funky, I'm pretty sure it's not Cushings. Every day is different with him. The coughing is gone but he seems to breathe harder, off and on. That's probably due to the anemia.

Tell me about Grace. I always thought Rotts were mean until we got Boone. He's half Rott though, and his personality is like an old hound dog. Except if a stranger comes to our door and Boone meets him on the other side, I've seen men practically jump back off the porch! lol I've heard him growl only once.

o

Hi again Oakley,

Hoping you and Boone are having a good day :)

Yes he improved pretty quickly once off the prednisone. The one thing I remember lingering for a while was him being tired. Has your vet run his labs again? I remember my vet running them a few times. I was so very thankful that she didnt charge me for all of the labs, and the ones she did charge for we got a discount.
How is Boone feeling today ? Did you vet start weaning the pred yet?

o

Yes, is Boone tapering off yet, or is it too soon?

o

We have our dogs on a daily probiotic just for digestion and b/c Bailey used to get yeast ear infections.

We just order a human one, in strawberry or banana flavor and they treat it as a treat and chew it up!

o

Anele, we started the weaning yesterday. He's getting half doses twice a day.

This morning he's panting and coughing a bit, and his belly is still swollen.

There are times I don't think he'll make it, but yesterday while he was feeling yucky when I took him out to use the bathroom, he noticed my cat had a mouse and he started prancing around trying to get it. lol.

Home, he goes back in a week tor labs. Was your dog low on red blood cells? I can tell Boone's count has at least stayed the same because he's walking and eating. When we took him to the hospital my dh had to carry him. :(

It just dawned on me, yesterday he didn't have any accidents in the house and I was taking him outside every hour. The day before that he had to go out every 30 min. and still had accidents.

Ya'll will enjoy this. Boone helped in decorating the house! He's not allowed in the LR because of the rugs, so I took out the two long runners we had where he was allowed to roam because the sides were getting wet from his peeing. Everyone agrees it looks better without the runners. LOL!

o

Oakleyok, he sounds like he's getting better to me. I had a sick kitty almost a year ago now that I was very afraid he wouldn't make it, it was tummy troubles, and today he's just a spunky as ever. It took a month or more before I started to feel like we caught the bug in time.
In my experience, when animals are deathly sick, they tend to ignore anything playful, so I see hope in Boone's reaction to the cat and mouse. I'll keep praying for him though.

o

Hi Oakley,
Glad to hear the his bathroom needs improved so quickly after the weaning started- same thing happened with Riley. I'd say that, and him wanting to play with the cat are huge signs of his improvement !!!! Riley wasnt as anmenic as Boone seems to be. He was lethargic but was always able to get around even with the swollen tendar joints. Keep loving on him and i bet by the end of the weekend he will be feeling even better :)
Love the story about the rugs ;)

o

Just, I think you're right. He even went to the back door on his own today for the first time in 2 weeks.

Homebodymom, In your first reply you said Riley was swollen. Was it his tummy? Day 2 weaning off pred, and his stomach is still very swollen.

We noticed when he lays down he starts the coughing. When he's up and about he doesn't cough. Also, about an hour ago there was some blood mixed with spittle that came out of his mouth. Called the vet and he'll be going in first thing tomorrow, but he thinks it's due to the coughing which is caused by the prednisone.

Plus, we ran out of Pepcid last night (I was at the pharmacy yesterday but DH forgot to tell me!), and I'm wondering if not taking Pecid is causing some bleeding? My son is picking some up for us on his way home.

I keep hoping his belly swelling will start to go down soon because I know he'll be a lot more comfortable.

We're getting bloodwork done tomorrow. Other than that, when he's standing he walks around, and doesn't seem to cough or pant very much. His breathing is labored when he lays down too.

Laying down he looks to be on his deathbed. Standing up he looks fine, but slow. lol. His appetite is still good!

o

What is he laying on Oakley? If it's not super soft, that might be what's causing the discomfort and coughing.

o

What is he laying on Oakley? If it's not super soft, that might be what's causing the discomfort and coughing.

o

I will gladly tell you about Grace one day-- but I don't want to hijack your thread. I will tell you that she was a lovely girl-- the kids in the neighborhood adored her.

Cushings syndrome is not necessarily cushings disease. Cushings disease is generally caused by a tumor on the pituitary gland.. cushings syndrome can be caused by hormones/corticosteroids. In Grace's case, her adrenal tumor was producing the hormone-- prednisone can do the same overtime.

Obviously I am not a vet-- but the symptoms do sound classic. Did your vet diagnose? It does seem like it hasn't been that long on the prednisone..

Sway back/bulging belly, jumpiness, strong drive for water and food, frequent urination and frequent UTIs were all symptoms related to the cushings syndrome. There were others but they were related to the cancer more so that the high levels of steroids pulsing through her system.

Hope you start seeing improvements soon.

o

Thankfully, once we gave him the Pepcid a couple of hours ago, his coughing stopped. Amazing.

He refuses to lay on a soft rug and instead lays on the hard tile in the kitchen and utility room. Maybe because it's cool there, but the house has a/c. lol

We're pretty sure it's not Cushings, the symptoms are also classic of prednisone use. Boone isn't jumpy at all. Just run down and tired. He's been on prednisone for two weeks now. He had 40 in three days at the hospital. He also came home with a swollen belly. It seemed to go down for a day or so, then came back.

I'll let you know what the vet says tomorrow.

o

That's good to hear about the coughing, Oakleyok. Poor guy though. I can only imagine how long this has seemed to him. I bet he does like the coolness of the tile floor.

o

I'm not feeling good about this. Now I'm starting to wonder if it is Cushing's afterall. Except for the skin stuff & nervousness, the side effects are identical to taking prednisone. He has so much hair on his belly I haven't looked for blackhead type spots.

He won't lay down. He started this late yesterday afternoon. I made a very soft bed for him in the utility room last night since it stormed, and my dh found him laying on the hard floor, and when Boone saw dh, he got up and is still standing. He's outside right now, and won't lay down.

We don't think he's had a BM in a couple of days. I looked up laxatives online and found where it was okay to give him 5mg of a certain kind of laxative, which I had. lol. Only temporary though. I know it takes about 8 hours for it to work in humans, but I don't think he's used the bathroom yet.

Now this really scares me. Since he was in the house for hours overnight (because of the storms), he did not pee once. He was going constantly, remember?

We took him outside at 3:30am, and noticed when he did pee, it didn't take very long which is unusual.

The panting is constant and has not tapered down. Also, some of his drool that comes out is white..almost like teeny cottage cheese curds, but it has blood in it. Not much though. I'm sure it has to do with his G.I. tract.

You would think with the tapering of the prednisone he'd feel better! Today is the beginnine of one pill a day. But he's worse!

Again, I'll let you know what the vet says. Now let's hope this vet (the country doctor who didnt take the blood test!) knows what he's doing. :)

o

New hope! Before B. went to the doctor we noticed his legs and paws were swollen.

The doctor finally got a fire lit under hit hiney and has his "Small animal" doc hat on. DH said he really stepped up to the plate.

They took blood and his count has stayed the same, way under normal, but the good news (easily fixed I think) is he has edema which made his blood thin out, so his count was probably higher before the swelling.

B. was given a shot for the edema and sent home with pills for it. He was also given more prednisone, but not near as much as he was taking which was a LOT.

The great news is as soon as Boone walked out the door at the vets, he peed! When DH and DS opened the cargo door of my car after they got home, B. jumped out and went to pee again. We immediately took him to the back yard where he peed again, and drank water, which he stopped doing last night. Yay! He was inside all night long and didn't pee once.

We should see some result by the end of the day and hopefully he can lay down to sleep. The edema also causes the panting.

When I was standing on the patio with dh, he said he had nightmares last night. I asked if it was about Boone, and he said yes, then started crying. I just held him and told him we'd get our boy back to normal again.

See, dh hasn't had a special dog since his Paco died almost 20 years ago. We've had all female dogs and it was me they bonded with the most. So dh has his "New Paco," and I pray the relationship will last many more years!

o

Oh, Oakley, this does sound very good!
Your poor DH. God bless him.

o

I am so happy to see this post !!!!! I saw the one from earlier this morning and have been thinking of you and Boone ever since. I sat down to find the follow up from the vet visit and was praying the entire time it was good news. What a relief to read this. Your poor Dh :( It is wonderful how much love you both give Boone, but we certainly do pay the price with worry and grief.
I know you will all enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Keeping you all in my prayers. Hugs to Boone !

o

Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts. I'm happy to report Boone has been in a very deep sleep for over an hour now. Even better is we got a cool front last night and the temps are in the low 80's compared to near 100 they've been all week. I may go out there and snooze with him! lol

o

He fought the fight but lost this morning. I'll write more later. Thank you all for being here for me.

o

oh no, I'm just checking in and after reading all the positive updates this week, I see your last post.
You must be devastated after the roller coaster ride of the last few weeks, my sympathies to you and your dh.

o

Oh no, (((oakley))) !!!! I'm heartbroken for you. That poor sweet boy <3

o

Oh, oakley, I am so, so sorry for you and for your dh. This is so hard. I know he was very special to you.

o

Oh no, Oakley. I'm so very sorry. My heart is broken for you. I really thought he was getting better.

o

I am so sorry to hear this. Please take care of you and your DH.

o

I am so very sorry.

ML

o

Oh Oakley I am so very sorry for you and your husband. You both did everything you could for Boone and he knew how much he was loved. Praying for peace and healing to you both.
Hugs
Paula

o

my condolences, Oak.

o

Yesterday morning after his shot for the edema, we had so much hope. I measured his belly when he got home, and two hours later it went down 2". We were so excited! Two hours later it swelled again, even bigger. He was just walking around panting, mostly short of breath. He wouldn't eat his dinner and hardly peed. I went to bed thinking we'll probably have to put him down.

My son told my husband which I didn't hear, that he thought last night was Boone's last.

It was raining and storming all night. Boone was in the house and went and rubbed noses with my dh telling him he wanted to go outside. Not like Boone when he's sick, he'd just wet the floor.

DH let him on the patio but B. didn't want to come back in, so dh went back to bed for a little bit.

I woke up and couldn't find B anywhere. Not inside, not outside. He is deathly afraid of storms, and it was raining and that scared ME to death.

DS went to the shed and there he was. Boone must have known. He walked all the way out there in the pouring rain. How I wish I could have been with him!

After looking online, I think what got him in the end was congestive heart failure. I won't give you the gory details, but it all fits.

We buried him in the orchard next to Grace. :) I'm still smarting over Grace's death, and now Boone? First time in our life we've been without a dog. DH and DS are hurting pretty bad.

I'm hoping once my son's house is finished being built around October, we'll go to a kill shelter and get a dog from there. Unless a stray shows up like Boone did. Being out in the country it's highly possible!

o

Oakley, I am so sorry about Boone! So sad to read this news after you all fought so hard with him. It's never easy. Peace to you and your family.

o

OMG, Oakley, hugs and prayers here. I am shocked and so saddened.

o

I just read the past few days worth (had thought he was doing better).

I am so, so very sorry for your loss. :(

o

I am so sorry for your loss.

o

Aww, Oakley, I'm so sorry. It's never easy losing a loyal pet.

o

Oh, Oakley. So, so sorry that you have lost your friend and family member.

o

Again, thanks everyone. I'm doing better this morning and I feel Boone's presence. It was sad not being able to feed him his breakfast.

I'm more worried about DH. He's gone kind of silent. He never went outside without Boone, even if Boone was sleeping my DH would wake him up.

Other than our parent's, no one loves us unconditionally like dogs do. I'm a cat person too. lol

o

Oh, Oak, I am so sorry for your loss. You took in a lost dog and gave him love and good care towards the end of his life. He will surely be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge for you.

o

So sorry to hear about Boone.

o

Thinking of you today. Will keep praying for healing for you and your DH.

o

Boone is so special, even just the way he knew, and how he chose to make his exit. What a dog.

o

(((Oakley))) I'm so, so sorry.

o

Oh, your hurting hearts.... I'm so, so sorry for all of you. Undoubtedly, Boone had a great life from the moment his path crossed yours. I'm sorry for both you and Boone that it wasn't longer....

o

I'm sorry, Oakley.

o

Oakley, I'm so very sorry.

o

I'm so sorry about B. I just read everything and my heart hurts.

o

I'm so very sorry Oakley.

o

I was at first overjoyed to read sweet Boone was doing better, than saddened to read he had another issue, then another, and now my heart is literally breaking for the loss of your sweet boy, Oak. Know you are not alone in your tears as I weep for your loss as if it were mine. He knew true love when he looked into your eyes, and always remember that. The joyous memories of Boone and Gracie will last a lifetime. Take your time to grieve, but have an open heart to allow another little puppy( or two!)to thrive on the love you gave your 2 babies for many years. God bless (((you and DH)))for this unexpected loss.

o

I just read through the whole thread with hope, and was so sad to learn of Boone's passing. I'm so sorry for the loss of your pup.

o

I'm so sorry for your loss--and I'm sure knowing how deeply your partner is hurting just makes it worse. I hope you both find peace knowing that you took the best care possible of your much loved pet, and that he had a wonderful life and a gentle passing thanks to your love and tenderness.

Ann

o

I'm glad so many of you know the special bond between man and dog.

Last night was weird. It was just DH and myself and we always leave the doors open until dark. Around 7 I locked both doors and told my husband I just didn't feel safe.

We're doing better though. I think the pain is worse because of losing Grace last May, and both dogs were way to young to die.

Here's a picture I found of them. His and Her dogs. lol.
 photo 8-08-11023.jpg

o

Oh I am so sorry for your loss. I too thought that Boone was doing better but followed up after reading Bumbles thread.

Animals are so special and unknowingly fill our lives with so much love.

o

oakleyok - I'm so sorry for your loss of both Grace and Boone and thank you for sharing the story so others may have a chance of preventing something happening to their furbabies.

o

oh my goodness; this is a heartbreaking recitation. So sorry for the loss of your Boone.

o

oak, that picture is so touching. Good luck to you and DH in your grieving.

o

I just read this thread, Oakley, and I am so sorry for your loss of Boone. I hope that you are comforted by knowing that he came to you and you took him in and gave him the best doggie life possible - he chose well!

My condolences to you and your DH.

o

I am so sorry, Oakley. I'm happy you now have Wolf and Lobo to help heal the hole in your hearts, but know that Boone's spirit will always be with you. Losing our beloved furkids hurts so much!
Lynn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here