Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Hard way to learn a lesson - Long

Oakley
9 years ago

This is for all pet lovers and for those of you who know someone with pets, especially dogs.

Some of you may remember how our beautiful Boone Dog showed up at our house in the country about 3-4 years ago, looking like he was on his last leg. He's part Rottie, part German Shephard. But boy is he gentle and will bark at any stranger who approaches our porch.

And last summer I lost my beloved Gracie, an English Pointer. My dog. Boone is my dh's dog.

Well, every summer I give the dogs and cats their flea and tick meds I get from the vet. They are SO expensive. What I do is wait until I find my first flea of the summer then buy it. I hadn't seen one flea or tick this summer which is probably due to our drought.

Except Boone had a tick last week and no one told me. It wouldn't have made a difference though. It's usually no big deal. It is now because he's fighting for his life.

Rewind to Gracie. She had a knot on her shoulder and I took her to our country vet who works on small breeds and cattle. He said it was a swollen muscle, and gave her a relaxer for it. She died shortly after of cancer when another doctor looked at her.

Last Thursday night Boone was given a rib bone against my STRONG objections. It's been an ongoing battle between me and DH. During the night, B. threw up several times with shards of bones. He'd done it before, which is why I kept telling DH, "No more bones!!"

He laid around all day, just not doing well. DH took him to our country vet because we suspected a blockage in his intestines. Vet didn't do bloodwork (he never does and it never bothered me, I always thought it was a vet's way to make extra $$ for no reason.) Boone was given anesthesia, and X-rays showed no blockage. Vet said he'd be fine, his tummy is irritated, and not to feed him for 24 hours.

By the next morning (Sat.) he was practically listless. But he'd drink water, lots of it. Seemed very depressed, and hadn't eaten in almost 48 hours. We thought it was from a bad reaction to the anesthesia.

We said to he!! with it, we're taking him to the best pet hospital/emergency room in the City! Left here at 7am.

The very first thing the doc did was a blood test. This 81 lb. dog's red blood cell count was 11. Normal is 37-50. The doctor is 90% sure it's Rocky Mtn. Spotted Fever! It begins 5 days after a tick has been on the body for at least 5 hours. Bingo.

Boone is still there. He's not out of the woods yet, but after 2 transfusions the count went up to 20. A bit later it went up to 21, which shows he made that extra cell all on his own, which is good. Best news ever! Plus he's on strong meds. He's walking just a bit, and will eat if he's hand fed. :) Now it's just waiting to see if his body will keep making the red blood cells, and not destroy them the same time.

I am SO angry at myself for not keeping him on the flea and tick med all year long, even though it gets frigid here.

And I am LIVID at the country vet. No matter what the outcome, I will be giving him a call just to let him know what happened. And you can be sure I'll let him know that as soon as B got to the hospital, the first thing they did was a blood test.

Had the country vet done his job, Boone would be home with us and not in grave danger.

We'll talk to the doc again tonight for an update, so keep your fingers crossed for him. We can't bear to lose our other dog one year after Grace.

Don't wait to buy meds, get them now, no matter the cost.

And if all goes well, I'm buying health insurance for pets! lol

BTW, my husband learned *his* lesson and won't give Boone any more bones.

Comments (122)

• justgotabme
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oakleyok, he sounds like he's getting better to me. I had a sick kitty almost a year ago now that I was very afraid he wouldn't make it, it was tummy troubles, and today he's just a spunky as ever. It took a month or more before I started to feel like we caught the bug in time.
    In my experience, when animals are deathly sick, they tend to ignore anything playful, so I see hope in Boone's reaction to the cat and mouse. I'll keep praying for him though.

• homebodymom
    9 years ago

Hi Oakley,
    Glad to hear the his bathroom needs improved so quickly after the weaning started- same thing happened with Riley. I'd say that, and him wanting to play with the cat are huge signs of his improvement !!!! Riley wasnt as anmenic as Boone seems to be. He was lethargic but was always able to get around even with the swollen tendar joints. Keep loving on him and i bet by the end of the weekend he will be feeling even better :)
    Love the story about the rugs ;)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just, I think you're right. He even went to the back door on his own today for the first time in 2 weeks.

Homebodymom, In your first reply you said Riley was swollen. Was it his tummy? Day 2 weaning off pred, and his stomach is still very swollen.

We noticed when he lays down he starts the coughing. When he's up and about he doesn't cough. Also, about an hour ago there was some blood mixed with spittle that came out of his mouth. Called the vet and he'll be going in first thing tomorrow, but he thinks it's due to the coughing which is caused by the prednisone.

Plus, we ran out of Pepcid last night (I was at the pharmacy yesterday but DH forgot to tell me!), and I'm wondering if not taking Pecid is causing some bleeding? My son is picking some up for us on his way home.

I keep hoping his belly swelling will start to go down soon because I know he'll be a lot more comfortable.

We're getting bloodwork done tomorrow. Other than that, when he's standing he walks around, and doesn't seem to cough or pant very much. His breathing is labored when he lays down too.

Laying down he looks to be on his deathbed. Standing up he looks fine, but slow. lol. His appetite is still good!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

What is he laying on Oakley? If it's not super soft, that might be what's causing the discomfort and coughing.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

What is he laying on Oakley? If it's not super soft, that might be what's causing the discomfort and coughing.

• funkyart
    9 years ago

I will gladly tell you about Grace one day-- but I don't want to hijack your thread. I will tell you that she was a lovely girl-- the kids in the neighborhood adored her.

Cushings syndrome is not necessarily cushings disease. Cushings disease is generally caused by a tumor on the pituitary gland.. cushings syndrome can be caused by hormones/corticosteroids. In Grace's case, her adrenal tumor was producing the hormone-- prednisone can do the same overtime.

Obviously I am not a vet-- but the symptoms do sound classic. Did your vet diagnose? It does seem like it hasn't been that long on the prednisone..

Sway back/bulging belly, jumpiness, strong drive for water and food, frequent urination and frequent UTIs were all symptoms related to the cushings syndrome. There were others but they were related to the cancer more so that the high levels of steroids pulsing through her system.

Hope you start seeing improvements soon.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thankfully, once we gave him the Pepcid a couple of hours ago, his coughing stopped. Amazing.

He refuses to lay on a soft rug and instead lays on the hard tile in the kitchen and utility room. Maybe because it's cool there, but the house has a/c. lol

We're pretty sure it's not Cushings, the symptoms are also classic of prednisone use. Boone isn't jumpy at all. Just run down and tired. He's been on prednisone for two weeks now. He had 40 in three days at the hospital. He also came home with a swollen belly. It seemed to go down for a day or so, then came back.

I'll let you know what the vet says tomorrow.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

That's good to hear about the coughing, Oakleyok. Poor guy though. I can only imagine how long this has seemed to him. I bet he does like the coolness of the tile floor.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not feeling good about this. Now I'm starting to wonder if it is Cushing's afterall. Except for the skin stuff & nervousness, the side effects are identical to taking prednisone. He has so much hair on his belly I haven't looked for blackhead type spots.

He won't lay down. He started this late yesterday afternoon. I made a very soft bed for him in the utility room last night since it stormed, and my dh found him laying on the hard floor, and when Boone saw dh, he got up and is still standing. He's outside right now, and won't lay down.

We don't think he's had a BM in a couple of days. I looked up laxatives online and found where it was okay to give him 5mg of a certain kind of laxative, which I had. lol. Only temporary though. I know it takes about 8 hours for it to work in humans, but I don't think he's used the bathroom yet.

Now this really scares me. Since he was in the house for hours overnight (because of the storms), he did not pee once. He was going constantly, remember?

We took him outside at 3:30am, and noticed when he did pee, it didn't take very long which is unusual.

The panting is constant and has not tapered down. Also, some of his drool that comes out is white..almost like teeny cottage cheese curds, but it has blood in it. Not much though. I'm sure it has to do with his G.I. tract.

You would think with the tapering of the prednisone he'd feel better! Today is the beginnine of one pill a day. But he's worse!

Again, I'll let you know what the vet says. Now let's hope this vet (the country doctor who didnt take the blood test!) knows what he's doing. :)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

New hope! Before B. went to the doctor we noticed his legs and paws were swollen.

The doctor finally got a fire lit under hit hiney and has his "Small animal" doc hat on. DH said he really stepped up to the plate.

They took blood and his count has stayed the same, way under normal, but the good news (easily fixed I think) is he has edema which made his blood thin out, so his count was probably higher before the swelling.

B. was given a shot for the edema and sent home with pills for it. He was also given more prednisone, but not near as much as he was taking which was a LOT.

The great news is as soon as Boone walked out the door at the vets, he peed! When DH and DS opened the cargo door of my car after they got home, B. jumped out and went to pee again. We immediately took him to the back yard where he peed again, and drank water, which he stopped doing last night. Yay! He was inside all night long and didn't pee once.

We should see some result by the end of the day and hopefully he can lay down to sleep. The edema also causes the panting.

When I was standing on the patio with dh, he said he had nightmares last night. I asked if it was about Boone, and he said yes, then started crying. I just held him and told him we'd get our boy back to normal again.

See, dh hasn't had a special dog since his Paco died almost 20 years ago. We've had all female dogs and it was me they bonded with the most. So dh has his "New Paco," and I pray the relationship will last many more years!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Oh, Oakley, this does sound very good!
    Your poor DH. God bless him.

• homebodymom
    9 years ago

I am so happy to see this post !!!!! I saw the one from earlier this morning and have been thinking of you and Boone ever since. I sat down to find the follow up from the vet visit and was praying the entire time it was good news. What a relief to read this. Your poor Dh :( It is wonderful how much love you both give Boone, but we certainly do pay the price with worry and grief.
    I know you will all enjoy the rest of the weekend.
    Keeping you all in my prayers. Hugs to Boone !

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts. I'm happy to report Boone has been in a very deep sleep for over an hour now. Even better is we got a cool front last night and the temps are in the low 80's compared to near 100 they've been all week. I may go out there and snooze with him! lol

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

He fought the fight but lost this morning. I'll write more later. Thank you all for being here for me.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

oh no, I'm just checking in and after reading all the positive updates this week, I see your last post.
    You must be devastated after the roller coaster ride of the last few weeks, my sympathies to you and your dh.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Oh no, (((oakley))) !!!! I'm heartbroken for you. That poor sweet boy

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

Oh, oakley, I am so, so sorry for you and for your dh. This is so hard. I know he was very special to you.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Oh no, Oakley. I'm so very sorry. My heart is broken for you. I really thought he was getting better.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

I am so sorry to hear this. Please take care of you and your DH.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

I am so very sorry.

ML

• homebodymom
    9 years ago

Oh Oakley I am so very sorry for you and your husband. You both did everything you could for Boone and he knew how much he was loved. Praying for peace and healing to you both.
    Hugs
    Paula

• ellendi
    9 years ago

my condolences, Oak.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yesterday morning after his shot for the edema, we had so much hope. I measured his belly when he got home, and two hours later it went down 2". We were so excited! Two hours later it swelled again, even bigger. He was just walking around panting, mostly short of breath. He wouldn't eat his dinner and hardly peed. I went to bed thinking we'll probably have to put him down.

My son told my husband which I didn't hear, that he thought last night was Boone's last.

It was raining and storming all night. Boone was in the house and went and rubbed noses with my dh telling him he wanted to go outside. Not like Boone when he's sick, he'd just wet the floor.

DH let him on the patio but B. didn't want to come back in, so dh went back to bed for a little bit.

I woke up and couldn't find B anywhere. Not inside, not outside. He is deathly afraid of storms, and it was raining and that scared ME to death.

DS went to the shed and there he was. Boone must have known. He walked all the way out there in the pouring rain. How I wish I could have been with him!

After looking online, I think what got him in the end was congestive heart failure. I won't give you the gory details, but it all fits.

We buried him in the orchard next to Grace. :) I'm still smarting over Grace's death, and now Boone? First time in our life we've been without a dog. DH and DS are hurting pretty bad.

I'm hoping once my son's house is finished being built around October, we'll go to a kill shelter and get a dog from there. Unless a stray shows up like Boone did. Being out in the country it's highly possible!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Oakley, I am so sorry about Boone! So sad to read this news after you all fought so hard with him. It's never easy. Peace to you and your family.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

OMG, Oakley, hugs and prayers here. I am shocked and so saddened.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

I just read the past few days worth (had thought he was doing better).

I am so, so very sorry for your loss. :(

• mdln
    9 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss.

• Jbrig
    9 years ago

Aww, Oakley, I'm so sorry. It's never easy losing a loyal pet.

• peegee
    9 years ago

Oh, Oakley. So, so sorry that you have lost your friend and family member.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Again, thanks everyone. I'm doing better this morning and I feel Boone's presence. It was sad not being able to feed him his breakfast.

I'm more worried about DH. He's gone kind of silent. He never went outside without Boone, even if Boone was sleeping my DH would wake him up.

Other than our parent's, no one loves us unconditionally like dogs do. I'm a cat person too. lol

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Oh, Oak, I am so sorry for your loss. You took in a lost dog and gave him love and good care towards the end of his life. He will surely be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge for you.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

So sorry to hear about Boone.

• homebodymom
    9 years ago

Thinking of you today. Will keep praying for healing for you and your DH.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Boone is so special, even just the way he knew, and how he chose to make his exit. What a dog.

• User
    9 years ago

(((Oakley))) I'm so, so sorry.

• bestyears
    9 years ago

Oh, your hurting hearts.... I'm so, so sorry for all of you. Undoubtedly, Boone had a great life from the moment his path crossed yours. I'm sorry for both you and Boone that it wasn't longer....

• allison0704
    9 years ago

I'm sorry, Oakley.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Oakley, I'm so very sorry.

• amj0517
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry about B. I just read everything and my heart hurts.

• painteddragon
    9 years ago

I'm so very sorry Oakley.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I was at first overjoyed to read sweet Boone was doing better, than saddened to read he had another issue, then another, and now my heart is literally breaking for the loss of your sweet boy, Oak. Know you are not alone in your tears as I weep for your loss as if it were mine. He knew true love when he looked into your eyes, and always remember that. The joyous memories of Boone and Gracie will last a lifetime. Take your time to grieve, but have an open heart to allow another little puppy( or two!)to thrive on the love you gave your 2 babies for many years. God bless (((you and DH)))for this unexpected loss.

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

I just read through the whole thread with hope, and was so sad to learn of Boone's passing. I'm so sorry for the loss of your pup.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss--and I'm sure knowing how deeply your partner is hurting just makes it worse. I hope you both find peace knowing that you took the best care possible of your much loved pet, and that he had a wonderful life and a gentle passing thanks to your love and tenderness.

Ann

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm glad so many of you know the special bond between man and dog.

Last night was weird. It was just DH and myself and we always leave the doors open until dark. Around 7 I locked both doors and told my husband I just didn't feel safe.

We're doing better though. I think the pain is worse because of losing Grace last May, and both dogs were way to young to die.

Here's a picture I found of them. His and Her dogs. lol.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Oh I am so sorry for your loss. I too thought that Boone was doing better but followed up after reading Bumbles thread.

Animals are so special and unknowingly fill our lives with so much love.

• lyfia
    9 years ago

oakleyok - I'm so sorry for your loss of both Grace and Boone and thank you for sharing the story so others may have a chance of preventing something happening to their furbabies.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

oh my goodness; this is a heartbreaking recitation. So sorry for the loss of your Boone.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

oak, that picture is so touching. Good luck to you and DH in your grieving.

• sable_ca
    9 years ago

I just read this thread, Oakley, and I am so sorry for your loss of Boone. I hope that you are comforted by knowing that he came to you and you took him in and gave him the best doggie life possible - he chose well!

My condolences to you and your DH.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

I am so sorry, Oakley. I'm happy you now have Wolf and Lobo to help heal the hole in your hearts, but know that Boone's spirit will always be with you. Losing our beloved furkids hurts so much!
    Lynn