Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debrak2008

Eyelash tinting, anyone try it?

debrak2008
9 years ago

I am thinking of having my eyelashes tinted. My lashes like my brows are very light in color with the tips almost invisible. I have been coloring my eyebrows at home but would never try to do my own lashes.

Anyone try it?

Comments (27)

• karlsmom
    9 years ago

It stung my eyes terribly, but no lasting ill effects. I'll never do it again (got it done at a salon).

Have you thought about having your eyebrows tatooed? I did and love it; got tired of drawing them on every day.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I have had it done a few times. Didn't sting, and was supposedly "natural" FWIW. I like it for summer vacations, where you don't want to be putting on mascara for the beach.

• kkay_md
    9 years ago

I have had it done for years, usually in the summer, and have never had any ill effects.

• User
    9 years ago

It can cause inflammation,swelling, and blindness. The dyes used are the same as hair colouring.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

No, actually it should not be the same kind (although I should hope that won't cause blindness, either). My salon uses a veggie dye, but it does not last more than 2-3 weeks in my experience.

All that said, I don't think Id do it routinely

See below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Web MD info

• User
    9 years ago

Estheticians mix the colour paste with a peroxide solution to start the chemical process.â The peroxide is what makes the molecules âÂÂchainâ to the hair. If a dye is going to deposit colour, it will have chemicals.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I tried it once. It stung my eyes which wasn't a huge deal, but it didn't seem to last very long, so I didn't feel like it was worth the money.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Can only comment on my experience with veggie dyes, similar to what's discussed on the WebMD link.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The place I would go to uses 100% vegetable dye. They also rinse your eyes with saline solution before you leave just in case any did get in your eyes. Good to know that it may cause irritation. I will know now to not do it right before I have to go somewhere.

I have never thought of the tattooing. I looks like it only lasts a few years? I hate to do anything permanent. I have lashes, its just so blonde.

I'm just getting so frustrated with mascara. Every time I find a mascara that works well, the next time it doesn't seem to work.

I have had my eyebrows dyed at a salon before but lately have been doing it at home. It doesn't last that long. I usually don't use a pencil but have a mascara like wand that is for covering gray hair. It works pretty well on my eyebrows but I can't always get it consistent. Plus I have to wait for it to dry to comb it or it looks weird.

I know, I know, I'm whining about trivial issues, LOL.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

OT: Debrak, how is your job going?

This post was edited by ellendi on Wed, May 7, 14 at 20:40

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ellendi, thanks for asking! Training was very intense and it over now but we are in a holding pattern. Our group was hired for a specific new project but there is a delay in it starting.

I think it has been very good for me to start working outside my home again (for 2 years I worked at home). It is kinda of fun to get a little dressed up for work, meeting new people, etc. I'm starting to pay more attention to my appearance now that people actually see me, LOL!

There is still a good chance I will be offered another job this month. I interviewed months ago but this company sends out employment offers in May. If I do get an offer I will have a very hard decision to make.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Not tinting, but I've had the eyelash extensions done a few times. We had a post/discussion about that a while back, which might show up in a search. The extensions are painless, but it does take a while for them to glue each one individually. The results look great, but sadly only lasts for about 4 weeks.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

chispa, I am addicted to lash extensions, they are great :
    I try to be mindful and not tug at them or blast water too strongly on them. I sometimes get almost 6 weeks out of them.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Hmm, extensions. But wouldn't they look too obvious? Like, what did you dooooo? And when you don't have them, won't that look obvious too? (what happened?)

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

mtn, I"ve had very natural looking ones, and some over the top ones, the over the top ones look like I am wearing false eyelashes ( which I am) and it's a more glam look, which I find amusing. I don't mind it not looking natural, it's not.

The very natural looking ones were a little underwhelming at first but very appropriate for every day.

When I don't have them, I use mascara.

For me the lash extensions are just a fun thing I can have which improves my looks. Same as botox and fillers.
    Not too invasive, and at 62 there's not much more I can do to look fresher. I still look 62 years old but a bit more blinged up.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I think I have just seen the OTT ones! I might try the other ones. I am fair and so are my lashes, so a little help is nice!

• chispa
    9 years ago

Mtn, I have pretty good eyelashes, but the extensions just make them longer, thicker and darker ... I never went for the Tammy Faye Baker look! It just looks like you have mascara, but you don't. The great thing is that you stay fresh looking all day as you don't get the mascara smudges .

I need to find a local place that does them. I was introduced to them when we lived in Tokyo. The Japanese women seem to love them as their lashes tend to be short and straight.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Extensions would be an option if they were not so expensive (to me). Around here the cheapest place for extensions is $175 and it goes up from there. Every few weeks you need a touch up which is $30 - $60. I can get tinting for $17 for lashes, $27 for brow and lash.

I don't even pay more than $15 for a haircut as I go to a beauty school and have students cut it. Coloring is really cheap there too and they have always done a great job. Unfortunately they don't do brow or lashing tinting or extensions.

I'll try the tinting and report back on how it went.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Debrak, yes, they are relatively expensive, but not something I did all the time. It has been a few years since I've had them done and I used to do it before a special event or vacation and enjoy the results for a month. We all choose what we consider "must haves" or "splurges". I color my own hair and don't spend money on purses, so even if I decided to do the lashes regularly, I'd probably still come out ahead!! You also save on mascara and eye cleansers. As Mitchdesj said, they can be addicting!

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm sure I would loooovvvvveee extensions! Maybe when the kids move out I will be able to afford them, LOL.

I have two family weddings and my daughters graduation this summer. I'm planning a little makeover with hair color/highlights, brow/lash tinting, and going for some tanning sessions. Don't yell at me! I won't do it long term just to get some color. And I've starting painting my nails again after not doing them regularly for 20 years. Oh my gosh it sounds like I'm having a mid life crisis....really I'm fine just need to spruce up a little : )

• chispa
    9 years ago

Debrak, you only live once, right! Doesn't sound like a mid life crisis, but like a Mom that has a bit more time to think about herself now that the kids are getting a bit older.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Use a Loreal self tanner. I am not yelling. : )

I am pretty laissez faire and I don't worry about much, but tanning sessions really concern me.

The self tanners are really good now. Too tanned actually looks out, at least in my circle.

• karlsmom
    9 years ago

I got my eyebrows tatooed when I turned 40 (11 years ago, ack!) at Faceworks in Louisville, KY. They still look great. My sister, sister-in-law, and a co-worker have since gotten theirs done at Faceworks. It's called "Permanent Cosmetics", sounds better than tatooing.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have an appointment on Monday for hair color and highlights and then Wednesday for brow and lash tinting. I thought it would be good to get my hair done first. I will post back with results. Thanks for all the help!

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

I did a spray tan session on the thursday night before DD"s wedding, I went for the "light" version. My dress had a slit out front so my legs would peek out when I was walking so I wanted some color on them. The day after the wedding though, the spray tan intensified and the top of my feet were a really deep orange color, I guess they were too dry or something.

I was glad this didn't happen on the saturday afternoon of the wedding, lol... so lesson learned for me .
    I should have used the jergens gradual tanner, it works well,

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had a spray tan once. Looked ok at first but then started to look blotchy and my kids said it made me look old.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE: I had it done! Brows and lashes. No irritation.

At first the brows seemed a little dark and thick. She didn't just wipe the color on but used a brush and seemed to paint each hair. She also said she put dye in spots where hair was missing. Today I had them sugared and they look really great! Several people said I really look younger. I demand honest opinions from my friends and family so I do believe I look younger, LOL.

The lashes look good but it wasn't the dramatic difference I was hoping for. I guess my lashes are not as long as I thought. They do look good with mascara.

I'm still getting used to the look as my eyes look different now.

On to makeup. Someone I know who is a rep for a makeup line is going to come over and give me and my friend make up tips. We are late 40ish and want to make sure we are keeping current while looking the best for our age. We are very worried about not looking like our daughters (both 18). We see too many women are age dressing like their daughters. I even cut my very long hair when I realized my hair was just like my daughters. I saw a picture of the back of a women and she looked like 16 from the back. Then you looked at the front and she looked 60. I did not want that so while I still have longish hair the style now is more fitting.

Even my 84yr old mom, who doesn't wear makeup complains that her friends still wear their makeup the same way they did when they were 20.

If this is a midlife crises, I am enjoying every minute! and so is hubby as he has started noticing some of the upgrades, ; )