Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Funky and mtn -- I spent time at the Chanel counter today!

Posted by sueb20 (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 15:15

After a traumatic dentist appt., I headed to the mall to return a couple things and got waylaid at the makeup counter at Nordstrom. I started by asking about foundation, moved on to eye shadow, and ended up sitting and getting my whole face done! I felt like such a grown up. ;)

I ended up buying foundation, two eye shadows, and lipstick. I've been looking at my transformed eyes every time I pass a mirror!

Now let's see if I can replicate the look tomorrow...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Funky and mtn -- I spent time at the Chanel counter today!

I had a similar experience yesterday at Lord & Taylor. I needed a new eye shadow and was wandering from counter to counter trying to find one that did not have four different colors in it.

The saleswoman helped me pick one from Nars and then since they weren't busy, she did my entire face. I looked like a Ho when she was done -- black eyeliner, the works. Actually, when I got home and got over the shock, it wasn't so bad, although I definitely looked more evening than afternoon.

I did like the eye shadow and bought it. It's called Earth Angel. I didn't come with those little applicators so I guess I am forced to buy some nice makeup brushes.

I'm glad you felt like a grownup. I felt so self conscious! It's fun to indulge in that sort of thing once in a while.

o

Oh, I felt self-conscious too! And sooo hoping no one I knew would walk by!

I will say that after almost 10 hours, the blush she used -- though subtle even to begin with -- is still there. That never happens! Eyes still look good, too, though in my own mirror at home I find the shadow a bit too sparkly.

o

I was surprised by all the sparkly eye shadows. I tried one on the back of my hand at the salesperson's insistence, but I still didn't like it. In the end, I was glad I let her do my makeup, since I like the colors I got. She also said the blush I am using is too yellow (I thought it was bronze!) so I may go back and get the one she recommended, too. It does help to get a second opinion.

o

Oh what fun! So glad you indulged and turned your day around!

Tempt us! Tell us what you bought! I am about due another mental health trip to Chanel myself!

o

That's odd. I posted a reply and it's not here.

I got the foundation that the saleswoman told me was a "step beyond" tinted moisturizer, which is just what I wanted. I also got two eye shadows, one that's sort of pale pink and the other, a khaki/green color. Would not have thought to get these colors on my own, but they look great with my brown eyes that have some flecks of green. Also got a lipstick that looks purple but actually goes on almost neutral.

So far, I like it all very much!

o

awesome, Sue! I have similar eye color and I love the pinks on my eyes. I am going to try to find the purple to neutral lipstick. Sounds great!

o

I desperately need a cosmetic make over . I've been using the same products for quite a while and I'm due for a fresher look. I feel like my current products just aren't helping. But since I've been going to the gym for pool exercise 4 days a week I've cut way back on my makeup routine.

A friend of DH's works in the cosmetic department at Nordstrom's and DH suggested I call him for an appt.

o

I cut way back on my makeup routine too because my mornings are so hectic, but then when I see myself in photos I'm horrified at how washed out and "plain" I look. So have decided more effort is needed. Having said that, of course now it's allergy season and my eyes are itchy!

Also just to edit my former comment about my so-called neutral-ish lipstick. Now that the sun is finally out, I put some on this morning -- very little! -- and realized it's far too sparkly! It's like there's glitter in it. No thanks, I can't pull that off esp. for daytime. So I will be returning it, and hoping there's no problem with returning something I used about 1-1/2 times.

o

Well, you guys have been having fun!

I just love the feel of Chanel products, and I generally trust their colors, too. It is a lot of hassle to "put on your face" but who doesn't look better?

I agree the eyes are the trickiest part. I had make up done professionally several times, often for bright lighting situations and I am always aghast at how much eyeliner and mascara is used. It looks terrific but it makes one so self-conscious. Not to mention, if it is not done perfectly, it does veer from terrific to horrific pdq.

I would also recommend Bobbi Brown, for a daytime look. Very subtle.

SueB. save your lipstick for evening. I don't think, for health reasons, you can take back anything that has been touched.

o

Some stores do offer a generous return policy if you're unsatisfied with a product - even if it's been used. They should discard the item or perhaps they return it to the manufacturer for some type of store credit.

o

I know Sephora allows returns of makeup even if you've tried it... I'll give Nordstrom a call and ask before I go.

If only I could find a lipstick or gloss that lasts for more than an hour...

o

you might try a lipstain - I love them. Sephora carries them.

o

I found the receipt for my new eye shadow today. It cost $34 for two little pats of colored powder. Where were my brains?

o

Ded, it will last a long time. I know they recommend throwing out after a few months, but I never do with powdered things. (mascara, yes, it usually gets gunky,so easy to toss.)

o

I found the receipt for my new eye shadow today. It cost $34 for two little pats of colored powder. Where were my brains?

o

Chanel lipsticks do stain; that's one of the great things about them IMHO.

It would never occur to me to return a lipstick just because I changed my mind; but certainly the margins on Chanel lipstick should accommodate a return or two, or certainly an exchange, now that I think of it.

o

Many major brands ask that you return if you are not satisfied. I know I have had to return foundation once (Clinique) years ago, when it looked different out of the store. No problems.

I definitely would return sparkly lipstick. Makeup often looks so diffferent under the store lights than out in the daylight, regular lights, etc.

o

Curious if anyone here uses T LeClerc's loose powder in banane...this is one product I can't do without. I'm not especially loyal to any cosmetic brand because there is always something new and better making its debut, but this powder is miraculous, it evens out almost any skin tone. It is so finely milled you cannot see it over foundation or by itself. I've heard it called one of the secret weapons of professional makeup artists and I believe it--- it's one of my mainstays.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here