Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golddust

Buying a Duplex is complicated. Plus other issues...

golddust
10 years ago

If buying a duplex, one needs 25% down to get a loan. That stretched us a bit beyond our comfort level but in the end, we decided to proceed. Buying an almost all original 1910 home creates it own problems.. One electrical outlet (none grounded) in each room doesn't quite meet todays requirements so that has to be rectified. Both kitchens have their original Larders and the units still have Skelton keys. (I am in love...)

The kitchen cabinets are not as deep as new cabinets. The Formica counter top was installed in one unit without being trimmed in consideration of the depth of the cabinet. It is much too deep and renders the bread board useless. I'm fixing that before renting.

Good news is that the front tenant wants to move into the back unit, recently painted and repairs made.The back unit has a great yard and is private. That will give us a chance to paint, replace the (too deep) Formica countertop, and the bathtub/shower surround.

Luckily, one unit will make the payment so we can still go to the cabin as scheduled, three days after escrow closes, without worry. Rent fron the other unit will support needed upgrades for the electrical, future central heating, etc.

I think this is the most original house in the area. Its been well maintained but completely unimproved (other than the kitchen sinks). We need to proceed with great care and consideration. The kitchen stoves are very cute but impractical. They don't have pilot lights. Planning on getting someone to inspect them immediately.

The neighborhood is wonderful. Next to public transportation, can walk to school, town and the park. The street may see 20 cars a day, if that. One side of the street has ally garages so half the people don't drive on the street they live on.

This home is our old age plan when we downsize. We will live in the back unit and our caretakers will live in the front. That means any profits made off the place will go back into the place and it will be upgraded carefully.

We have cared for three elders who didn't make a plan and don't want our kids left holding the bag like we were. Of course, the best plans can go bad but we both know we can't maintain this monster house when we get older.

I'm still nervous. It's a big step for me.

Comments (3)