Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Seeking advice on travel in Lima and Santiago?

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

We travel a lot and do our own planning. We have a big trip coming up in December and it's soon time to book flights (a lot of them aren't avail. more than 6 months out).

Our family of 5 is used to ambitious itineraries and this is certainly true again of this trip. We are going to Buenos Aires, Easter Island, Macchu Picchu (yes I know it is the rainy season) and on an Antarctic cruise to boot.

Our itinerary necessitates overnights in Santiago (twice) and Lima (as least once). These are not cities I have ever visited,and I don't know anyone who has, other than for business. Not to malign these cities, but I have learned over the years that if you have never heard of somewhere as a tourist spot ... it probably isn't a very exciting place to visit.

Does anyone have any personal knowledge of these cities? Are they worth more than an overnight (dictated by travel)? I could stay a an extra day or so in each ... but for what? I would not want to take day trips since there is already so much other travel in our schedule ... it would have to be a draw in the city proper.

Thanks in advance for any insight. Typical travel resources are not useful, since I have never seen anyone write an article on a destination that advises you to skip it. They always seem to be written from the assumption that you've already decided to go.

Comments (14)

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Hi Mtn, I have not been to Lima or MP but have been on the South America forum at several travel sites looking at language schools for DS2. A quick search on one of them turned up this post that might be of interest. It's only a year old and concerns families with kids / what to do in Lima.

Here is a link that might be useful: Things to do in Lima with kids

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You can take a look at what Tauck does in Santiago...they go to a winery and ride a funicular....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

In Lima they go to a museum of pre Colombian art...

• chispa
    9 years ago

We spent 8 years as expats in Buenos Aires when I was a kid ... only good memories from that time.

• sable_ca
    9 years ago

Lima is a major capital city! If I were going to be there just once in my life I would spend a couple of days there, poking around the capitol and other important buildings, visiting the main square and its church, which, as a Latin American city, Lima surely has, querying about an open market that is tourist friendly, and looking into any Christmas celebrations that might be taking place. One doesn't have to be Catholic, or even Christian, to enjoy these things. They just give a close look at a very important part of the culture. Peru also has a thriving local craft industry, if you like to collect on your travels. The concierge at your hotel should be able to recommend tours and reputable guides.

My parents visited Peru and Machu Picchu a long time ago, before it was popular. They were intrepid travellers and loved every minute of their South American experience. They always travelled on their own, and regarded any inconvenience, bus breakdown, etc., as a challenge to be overcome with no fuss. They brought back beautiful pictures of Lima!

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Both are major cities with many tourist attractions...

Here is a link that might be useful: 36 hours in Lima

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

..and Santiago

Here is a link that might be useful: 36 hours in Santiago

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Kudzu. I love the "36 hours in..." series and always check those. But, again the problem is I have never seen one that says "don't bother spending 36 hours in ...", LOL.

Sable_CA, I travelled pretty extensively internationally before I retired with the kids, and I have seen plenty of capital cities I would not want to vacation in. A lot of them are disappointing because they are so Americanized. Just a bunch of tall buildings in many cases.

Agreed, pretty much all of these SA cities will still have a large square, an old church, craft sellers, and a museum or two. It is hard to tell which are worth one's time. Bravo for your parents for being such intrepid travelers! With three kids in tow, one could hardly call us intrepid, but we do our best to authentically experience the places we see.

Chispa, How cool that must have been. I admit I added BA to the itinerary because I've always wanted to go; otherwise we'd have stayed on the Pacific side.

Annie, That is one of my tricks, too, is to see where organized tours head to. Sometimes, even then, it's hard to tell if they stop somewhere solely from logistic necessity.

KSWL, Is that a GW forum? How interesting? Why does DS2 want to to that?

FWIW, it finally occurred to me to google "is it worth visting Lima, ... Santiago". Pretty lukewarm (especially if you leave out local replies). I think we will actually do Valparaiso instead of Santiago, and limit Lima to the minimum layover time of a day or so. I also have a neighbor who works for a co. with offices in Santiago who is getting me some info.

Thanks, all

• duvetcover
    9 years ago

Re Lima - from a friend who has family there and visits often:

ÃÂ Astrid y Gaston is the grand dame of Lima restaurants. ÃÂ The ideal is to do a tasting menu. ÃÂ

Most of the high end places have tasting options and relative to US prices they are somewhat reasonable. ÃÂ Malabar is another big place to hit, it's focus is Amazon ingredients and it's well worth visiting.

ÃÂ In general for American tourists I'd suggest mostly high end places. ÃÂ The lower end is harder to get to if you don't speak Spanish, and can be less safe for Americans.

ÃÂ A good guide - ÃÂ http://www.theworlds50best.com/regional-spotlights/peru/

ÃÂ There several major museums, mostly focusing on Peru's history.Barranco is the main arts area and it is a lovely place to walk around during the day. ÃÂ The center of Lima has several great cathedrals. ÃÂ

Also, a gold museum and archaeological museum.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, neighbor girl! How nice of you to inquire on my behalf!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

That's a forum at fodors.com, it is an invaluable trip planning resource! Ds2 is one of those people who has no facility for languages, and by that I mean NONE. He has taken (and passed) years of Spanish in high school and two semesters of college Spanish and he cannot speak a word of it. Our DD is fluent in Spanish--- she was an excellent language student and has lived in Miami and Phoenix, where she spoke the language often--- and she is baffled at his complete non grasp of it.

Unfortunately, his degree requires four semesters of language. He is totally stuck on semester three....he has signed up for it and dropped it four times. (You read that right, 4.) We are now in damage control mode to try to find an alternative for these last two language classes.

(Before anyone weighs in with expressions of disbelief that parents are this involved in a college student's course planning, this is a brilliant young man who has a few very targeted, specific learning disabilities that stem from a near drowning at age three. Doctors told us after his accident they were not sure he would ever even learn to read. We have had to be more hands on with this kid than the others because of his unique history and condition.)

• duvetcover
    9 years ago

You're welcome! We are going to Santiago in October. Please share any info you might get from your neighbor if you don't mind.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

KSWL,
    Oh my, that sounds extraordinarily trying. Thank goodness he (along with his family's support, I am sure) was able to defy the odds. Languages do seem to be a "knack"; hopefully he can find something that clicks for him! They say girlfriends/boyfriends who speak the target language are the best solution, LOL!

Neighborgirl,
    What takes you to Santiago, I am curious?
    Here is what I got from a work colleague my real life "neighbor" :

Places to Go:

1. Downtown including Casa de la Moneda(our White House)/Plaza de Armas/Mueso de Bellas Artes/ Cathedral, etc.

2. Plaza Mulato Hill, which has an excellent food alternatives and it is close to downtown. Recommended by night

3. Cerro San Cristobal Hill to get to the Virgin. You can get a very nice view of all of Santiago.

4. Bellavista neighborhood. This is one of the bohemian places in Santiago with a lot of nice restaurants and nightlife. Recommended by night.

5. Isidora Goyenechea street. This is a very fancy street with also good restaurants and bars.

6. Paseo el Mañío Vitacura. With excellent gastronomic offers as well.

Restaurants:

1. Nollita (Plaza Mulato Hill)

2. Liguria Luis Thayer Ojeda (www.liguria.cl). If you want to understand Chile, you need to go there. By far, the best option.

3. Mestizo restaurant (www.mestizorestaurant.cl). Nice option over Parque Bicentenario in Vitacura neighborhood. Especially for the evenings in summer time (Dec/March)

4. Coquinaria (www.coquinaria.cl). Located in the same building that the W Hotel, it is also a very good option.

5. Tierra Noble. Excellent Chilean food in an elegant way.

6. La Mar (www.lamarcebicheria.cl). Amazing Peruvian food.

PS I have heard great things about the colorful seaside town of Valparaiso. Some source say it is an hour from SLC, some say 2?

• duvetcover
    9 years ago

Mtrnrdredux: We're going on a specialized tour arranged by our local botanical society. So, we're flying into Santiago (from the west coast) and will be there a few days and then going to some outlying areas. Looks like some great restaurants in Santiago ! If you have any real interest in the specialized itinerary happy to email it to you. Suspect your kids wouldn't be that interested though.
    NG

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz