Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dressy casual?

Posted by deee (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 14:22

Here are the party particulars. Small town in South Georgia, at the Shrine club, surprise 80th birthday for an acquaintance. The invitation said dressy casual and men were specifically asked to wear collars (which made me laugh).

Would a dressy tunic top, dark jeans and espadrilles be okay? Or should I wear dress pants?

Don't want to come across as too fancy but don't want to be disrespectful. DH will probably wear khakis and sperry's. Not sure if he will wear a polo shirt or a button down. Men have it so easy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dressy casual?

I would err on the dressier side. I would wear a dress/skirt or dress pants.

o

No to jeans. Dress slacks and a nice top or a simple dress. I agree with Rose. It's always best to go dressier. It shows you respect the occasion.

That said, sigh... there will be those in jeans and very casual attire. These days whenever you get a crowd together, it always runs the gamut.

And you are a GW member, so we expect more from you;)

o

LOL @ ellendi --yes, we do. I bet there will be everything there, including Levi type jeans and some guy wearing his best t-shirt. I hope not.

I'd rather see you in some dark ankle pants than jeans.

o

Georgia? Summer? I'd wear a sundress.

o

It is supposed to get in the low 60's tonight. It is unseasonably pleasant and dry. My blood is so thinned out from living down here that I would freeze in a sundress.

My dress pants look too churchy so I am going to wear the tunic, navy ankle pants and I am vacillating between ballet flats and wedges.

Thanks for telling me to step away from the dark jeans. If I see anything unusual, like a tuxedo t shirt, I will be sure to report back :)

I am bringing a couple of trays of these so I don't think they will turn me away.

photo IMG_1110.jpg

This post was edited by deee on Sat, May 17, 14 at 17:49

o

I can almost picture the gathering, dee. It sounds like something in our town. Here the men would all come looking like they are ready for the golf course (or just left it), and the women would wear cotton dresses with cardigans and sandals. It's actually chilly here in central Georgia right now though, so my guess is you will see at least some men and women in jeans. And there are always a few wearing shorts, having skipped over the "dressy" part of the request. Have a great time!

o

I agree with your latest idea of navy ankle pants. It sounds comfy yet perfect for the party.

o

well I saw on the forum side that you went and met a color expert from NJ.. now you have to report back on how the guests were attired. :)

o

The party was very sweet. A few men wore jeans but everything was pressed, belted and shirts were tucked in. No tennis shoes. I saw just a few dresses on the women but everyone looked nice.

Most of the guests were sixty and older. What struck me is that almost everyone had their phones put away, even during the lulls. Can you imagine a party with twenty somethings and no phones in sight?

Look on the discussions side if you'd like to read about my encounter with someone from Pantone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here