Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

A good Facebook story

Oakley
10 years ago

Let me preface this with saying we live in the country where our closest neighbor is a half mile away.

Last night the family was on the front porch relaxing, with the 2 & 4 yr. old grands.

Suddenly my DS said in a low voice to everyone, "Get in the house, take Boone with you(big dog.) Without asking why I grabbed my DGD and we all went inside. Boone took forever though. lol.

A HUGE Bull Mastif had walked up to our sidewalk, standing 2 feet from the 4 yr. old and Boone. Boone's hair was standing straight up, and he is the most laid back dog ever.

I went back outside, and we visited the dog, my DH brushed it, while DS was looking up the traits of BM's. Good dogs, but can be a bit too protective of their family, if you KWIM.

I started calling every neighbor I knew. Finally we were able to shoe/shew (?) him off. For our own safety mind you. No one knew whose dog it was, and we really wanted to find his owner's.

I quickly posted it on FB, and a friend of a friend said it was her dog! They live 5 miles away! We had really loud Tstorms yesterday morning and somehow he escaped.

His name is "Boss" and he's home safe and sound. He was found 4 miles from here! The owner started crying when I told her we found her dog...sorta.

I said a quick prayer to my Gracie Girl and told her to "Point" Boss back in the direction of his owner. I think she did.

Hey, don't laugh! I had a dream this morning that came true an hour later, so I think it really was Grace who helped. :)

Comments (12)

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Of course it was Grace, amazing lol. What a nice story and I can just picture you (lucky gal) sitting out with your grands. Good thinking to put it on facebook.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Aww, what a sweet story! Having 'lost' a dog briefly many years ago on a very cold day, I know the fear and worry that Boss's 'mom' had while he was missing.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

good indeed !! your son reacted very well.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Wonderful story! The power of social networks is incredible.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Is Gracie your GD oak? I have a Gracie Rose, almost 3. Sounds like your Gracie has powers. ;o)

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I love this story. Gracie certainly did send her love down from above.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patty, Gracie (Grace) is the English Pointer we lost two weeks ago. She was so good at going "on point."

• ellendi
    10 years ago

This happened to my sister. A lab showed up in her yard with no ID tags. She started by asking all her neighbors and luckily one knew the woman who was going around looking for the dog.
    ID your dogs! If tags fall off, invest in the collar with the phone number sewn on.
    Facebook can be a helpful network.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Even better, have your dogs chipped. If they ose the tags or collar, or are dognapped, they will find their way back to you if a vet finds their chip.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Yes, ded the chip is good too, but like you said, you need to get to a vet to have it scanned.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We're going to get one of the collars with our phone number on it.

Putting a chip on a dog in the country out here where there's a lot of cattle, won't help. But if someone sees a collar (like we did), then they'd know the dog belongs to someone.

Unfortunately, it's not good if a dog shows up in a pasture full of cattle and the farmer see's it. :(

• hilltop_gw
    10 years ago

Similar thing happened here just last week. We're in a rural area, more & more people don't have land-line phones and they don't neighbor like they used to. Lady called saying her dog was missing and wondered if we'd seen it. Unfortunately no, so she left her cell # in case we saw or heard anything. The lady did not have a land-line so people couldn't get ahold of her. That night a friend posted a picture on Facebook of a dog that was lurking around her home and it matched the lady's description. Good ending. But does confirm that all pets need tags with a number to get ahold of the owner.