Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancybee_2010

favorite fads

nancybee_2010
10 years ago

The ones I remember are love beads, granny glasses and medallion necklaces in junior high, garmisch hiking boots in college. I loved those boots! Even though they killed my feet. More recent - beanie babies of course, so much fun for the kids!

Do you remember any?

Comments (14)

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

When I was in high school in the 80s, I loved those preppy pocketbooks with the wood handles and the different covers that you could button on. We also wore a lot of Izod alligator shirts. We thought we were So Cute.

We also wore cheap white sneakers, like Keds but they were an off brand that we bought for $5 at a department store.

Most of the other trends I lived through in that era, like big and/or feathered hair, are best forgotten!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Oh, Farah Fawcett hair, then Dorothy Hamill hair. My two favorite fads. (The only thing I care about is my hair :-). Oh wait..in the 1960/early 70's the Twiggy eyes, where we would glue on little tufts of false eyelashes to the tops AND bottom lashes. Oh, I loved that.

• golddust
    10 years ago

I was in the Earth Shoe/ Berkinstock faze as a teen. i used to take a large piece of batik fabric, tie it in a small knot in front, under my arms. Then I would slip the fabric through my knees and up to my under arms before tying it in a knot in the back. (Way cool. LOL)

I used to embroidery Aimee's jeans with hippie things. Of course, she rejected them for 'The Partrige Family' clothing. Double knit polyester and white patent leather shoes. Sigh...

Then I went through a major vintage clothing stage. I still have a vast collection of high end clothing from back in the day... Velvet, silk, you name it.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I was a big fan of "hot pants" , very daring for the early 70's - they were short shorts actually, mine had a bib and straps, navy mini corduroy. Worn with white crinkle patent gogoboots.

I used to also love Mary Quant cosmetics and false eyelashes.

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

Probably not a fad, but a style -In the late 80's I wore curly perms, hair was cut in a stacked bob, used lots of mousse or gel, "picked" the curls out gently when dry. In the winter, you had to crunch the curls while blow drying to keep it from fuzzing too much.

Easiest hair style I ever had!

• ms-thrifty
    10 years ago

Earth shoes, wore them until couldn't get them any more, so comfy. Another one most of you don't remember, but I loved the stirrup pants, but only worn with boots to hide the stirrups, but they were comfy and looked good on me ,,but that was then at 105 lbs. lots of things did...

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

Sueb: Bermuda bags! I was a few years younger than the girls I saw carrying those purses. I remember going into the store that carried all the interchangeable covers and soooo looking forward until I could get one. And within 2 years of that, they kind of disappeared. I was so bummed...

In the 1980s, Famolare shoes were hot. They were basically a wedge slip-on or lace-up, or sandals and the bottoms were wavy. I bought a pair of sandals. The bottoms looked like this: (mine were absolutely not as tall as these -- I'd fall down!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dahlila/5459977171/

In my high school years (late 1980s), the girls were wearing clogs. My, those hallways were noisy!

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

I'm an 80's teenager and that was probably the worst fashion/music decade ever! However, I do have some favorite fads from that era:

Forenza Sweaters from The Limited
    Ray-Ban sunglasses
    Polo shirts (had to be RL!) with the collar turned up
    Swatch Watches
    Scrunch Socks
    Add-A-Beads
    Roper boots in every color of the rainbow (this may have been a small town Texas thing!)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Hmmm, I did live through most of that and don't miss any of it, but those were the tortured teenage years more or less.

I did like hush puppies though! Still Cool- well, cool Again, I should say. But I also really liked my add-a-bead necklace, not cool now. The Pandora style charm bracelets remind me of those and so I have avoided them, but they are so pretty.

• golddust
    10 years ago

Aimee and I both had Famolare shoes. Sooo groovy!! I had very little money to indulge in frivolous fashion but I always made room in my budget for shoes.

So why do my arches cramp in the morning? My feet look perfect! No high heel side affects whatsoever. I was always the one tramping around in clod hopper comfie shoes... Still, I'm paying.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

When I first started high school (1974), everyone, but me, seemed to have a pastel colored White Stag brand ski jacket. How I admired them but knew I'd never have one. I had to pay for the majority of my clothes, once I was old enough to babysit and earn money, and those jackets were outside my very limited reach.

Those famolare shoes don't look the least bit familiar to me. I also don't know an add a bead necklace.

My two younger sisters were in HS in the late 80's so I remember some of the above fads through them. One was very preppy, the other rock and roll. I probably avoided any fad they were into because it seemed too young for me.

I can't think of any other fads but will think of something as soon as I hit submit.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

My first fad was in Jr. High in the early 50's. We wore slim long black wool skirts with wool sweater sets. Dalkeith brand sweaters made in England were my fav brand. Alternatively one could wear a wool cardigan alone buttoned up the back. Separate white peter-pan collars could also be worn with a pullover sweater. Very preppy looking.

In the mid-late 60's synthetic wigs were quite popular altho not very comfortable. Mine was light brown with definite 'streaks' even tho my hair was blonde. Another 'fix' for bad hair days was dry shampoo. I see it's still (or again) available but I won't use it unless unable to wash my hair daily.

My most extreme hairstyle was in 1968 when DH and I were leaving Montreal for a rural area. I wanted something stylish so went to a Sassoon trained stylist who cut my hair with points here and there. It was a good haircut but was difficult to grow out.

I'd forgotten stirrup pants which I wore in 1969 when I was pregnant. They were stretchy and so comfortable and looked good with a long top. Maternity clothes were not very stylish back then so I either sewed my own or used regular clothes that worked. Even wore a hand-knitted Aran vest of DH's toward the end of my pregnancy!

Short white western-style boots in the 70's were so cool. ;D Also I seemed to have a lot of orange clothes in the 70's but it's not memorable for style. Never wore hot pants but wore a lot of culottes at one time. Maybe in the 70's/80's.

Puffy winter coat with legwarmers in the early 80's. Which I wore with my long curly (permed) hair! I loved that hair style! Had a really good hairdresser then so it was a good perm even if 'big hair'.

My fav fad last year and this are tunics which I wear either with tights or slim pants. Very comfortable and great for layering. Also have several uneven hem skirts which are fun.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

• decordummy_gw
    10 years ago

Many many years ago DH & I played a version of the Newlywed game with other couples (where men & women answer the same questions separately, you get points if your answer matches). Amazingly we won, but he still harps on the question we got wrong. We were asked something like "what will she say is the most comfortable item in her wardrobe?" Her "my jeans". Him (after the game) "I can't believe you said that when you're always going on about how comfortable your stirrup pants are!!!"

I had a purple & white hot pants outfit, but one of my favourite things was my midi coat.

• annie1971
    10 years ago

I think my current hairstyle is akin to my old Dorothy Hamill cut, however very much more gray (which suits me now). I think I'll get some big ol glasses to go along with! Which I understand are coming back in style.