Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hhireno

How do you dispose of old bed sheets?

hhireno
9 years ago

Just throwing them out to add to a land fill seems wrong. They're torn so they can't be donated. The city recycling place takes textiles but I don't know what they do with the stuff so I don't know if they should be clean. It seems wasteful to wash them but gross to give them away dirty. OTHO they're just dumped in a dirty dumpster at the recycling place so why clean them?

My mother's church used to roll bandages out of strips of clean, old, sheets and ship them the Africa but they don't do that any more.

So. How do you get rid of old sheets?

Comments (21)

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Animal shelters or clothing bins?

• hhireno
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I didn't think about an animal shelter. What do they do with them?

I ended up washing them because I needed to fill out a load of cleaning rags. So they're clean and dry and ready to go. I just need to locate a shelter that will want them.

I knew asking here would produce a helpful idea.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

We keep old sheets-they make great drop cloths or covers for projects.

Ann

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

Veterinarian clinics and pet shelters use them for bedding in the cages. One of our veterinarians uses the sheets and/or smaller cloths to wrap a pet in that has been euthanized so it is less stressful to the owner if they are taking their beloved pet home to bury. She also said she wraps animals that are not being taken home by their owner before disposing of them just because it seems, to her, to be more respectful of the animal. She is one compassionate, neat veterinarian.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

We keep ours...tear them into rags, use them as drop cloths and I use them to cut up for muslins when sewing and I've used them as lining for some of my drapes.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

I donate mine to our local animal rescue/no-kill shelter. I also give them old throw rugs that are easily washed and dried, old worn out blankets, comforters, towels, etc.
    Lynn

• goldgirl
    9 years ago

Most clothing/textiles donated to charity don't end up being used as clothing/bedding, but instead gets recycled into textiles and sold for use in this country or overseas.

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

How does clothing get recycled into textiles? Isn't clothing already a textile?

This post was edited by lizbeth-gardener on Sun, May 4, 14 at 22:19

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Save a few and give the rest to a woman who collects them for an animal shelter.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Never throw anything away. Most anything can be recycled or donated. We pretty much use old sheets - dropcloths, keep on hand in times that a piece of furniture may need to be covered (painting, moving, etc.) use to cover plants in yard, etc.

Great idea to give to shelters/vets. I have never thought to do that with sheets, etc. We have given pet beds, towels, etc. to our vet's office. Will remember than for sheets, blankets.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I donate all "rags" to the Salvation Army thrift store in a bag I've marked "rags" (although they'd quickly figure it out). They do recycle unusable textiles, so don't put them in the landfill, just donate them.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Animal rescue/shelters also appreciate towels and some use carpet squares in cages. So if you have extra towels or carpet after a new install, please consider donating it.

• aputernut
    9 years ago

local animal shelter

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

By the time I'm through with a sheet there is nothing left.

They go from sheets to patched sheets to project covers - sometimes the edges that aren't worn get salvaged for sewing projects - to drop cloths to scrub rags and finally to "cloth for cleaning up things where you don't want to think of washing it" to the trash.

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

Well, to mumble a few words in favor of landfills ... a well-run one is just "storage" and not hurting anyone. The bad things that people send in, like toxics, can leach out in a badly run landfill ... but your sheets and other fill material help with that.

The methane given off by the landfill can be used to generate electricity.

"The U.S. Environmental Protection AgencyâÂÂs Landfill Methane Outreach Program (LMOP) is a voluntary assistance program that helps to reduce methane emissions from landfills by encouraging the recovery and beneficial use of landfill gas (LFG) as an energy resource"

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I have always thought there are some things one wants in a landfill--if it is to do its job properly--break ti all down to dirt. The landfills need cotton/paper/old food to attract the bugs that do the work!! It is all that "fake" man made crap that is filling up landfills and that is ruining what was a great system i.e PLASTIC!!

• Jenny Schn
    4 years ago

H & M takes any fabric such as sheets, towels, clothes, blankets. No under garments though.

• HU-337706023
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It’s always good to refresh your bedroom with brand new sheets from time to time, but what do you do with the old ones?

When brainstorming eco-friendly ways to re-use and recycle old ones, a better way to think about bed sheets might just be “large, all-purpose cloths.” Once the linens have been worn out a little too much for a comfortable sleep, it can easily turn them into several other useful things.

From picnic blankets to planting heaters to make bags, here are 10 brilliant ways to reuse and re-use bed sheets and keep the waste out of our landfills.

Take your bed sheets for a picnic.

There’s certainly no reason to fork out a fancy picnic blanket when you’ve got perfectly good bed sheets in your wardrobe. Bring them along as a sit-upon for your next outdoor meal, fold the sheet twice for extra coverage if the ground is a little damp.

Make a draft stoppers

Drafty doors and windows make not only your house uncomfortable in the winter—they make your heating system work harder than it needs to. You can put bits of old bed sheets in drafty corners to block out cold air, or you can craft easy-to-make draft catchers: Cut the sheets into squares or rectangles, sew them on three sides, fill them with rice or dried beans, then sew them on the last side.

Don’t want to make them? No issue at all. Check amazon for cheap ones or check this one.

When microwaved for 30 seconds, mini catchers often make perfect hand warmers you can stick in your coat pockets or heat packs for sore muscles. Just be sure to test the warmers with a finger before you catch them with your entire hand, in case they’re too hot.

check this article for more ideas.

• salonva
    3 years ago

spam reported.

nothing like reviving a 6 yr old thread.

Good idea to donate to animal shelters which is what I do if my rag supply is more than adequate.

• Valinta
    3 years ago

I made clothing covers from my old sheets. I patterned after the paper covers from drycleaners. They keep dust off seasonal items and when I change out my closets I can wash and reuse.