Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happylady1957

Inappropriate T Shirt

happylady1957
12 years ago

I would really like to have your opinion(s) on something I saw today.

While standing in line at our local, very small-town bank, I couldn't help but notice the T shirt of the guy in front of me. It was bright yellow, and proclaimed for all the world to see the following: 38DD FAN CLUB. I thought perhaps this was, perhaps a "funny" come-on for a product of some sort, say welding parts, car parts, etc. and that the mystery would be solved when I spied the front of the shirt. No such luck. The front of the shirt advertised a somewhat local strip club. Now, I am truly no prude, but I am disgusted. I could tell from the convivial chatter with another woman on line that he is a community-involved volunteer, and that he works as an installer for the local cable company (and that he was working today) In that shirt.

I realize I am on a rant, here, but sheesh! Where has common decency gone? I suspect he doesn't realize how offensive this is. Forget the sensibilities of this middle-aged woman. What if I were standing in line with my 13 year old daughter?? I just don't get it, and am at a loss as to what can be done about stuff like this.

Thanks for listening!

Comments (26)

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

Inappropriate shirt for work. Definitely. But somehow it brought to mind a childhood memory of watching "The Match Game" on TV with my grandmother. It had to be 1976 or thereabouts. Fannie Flagg was wearing a T-shirt that had two fried eggs on the front, spaced just so. It didn't scar me for life.

• User
    12 years ago

I agree with you. It's not appropriate. I felt that way last night watching Lady GaGa on American Idol. I usually think she does ok but here's all these teenie boppers watching her dance like she's getting it on with a male dancer. That sort of raised my eyebrows but then she laid down on her podium and he was sort of on top of her while she was "posing" I really felt that was just too much. I don't feel like a prude for saying it either. IMHO that belongs in a concert not a prime time television show.

Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack the thread, it's just I don't get why some people are so unconscious when it comes to public display.

• natal
    12 years ago

Didn't see AI last night, but Standards and Practices wouldn't allow The View to show a clip of Gaga's performance today. If it's not appropriate for a middle-aged daytime audience how can it be appropriate for all the young kids that follow AI?

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    12 years ago

If I saw that T-shirt with my 13 year old (who admittedly would not know what 38 DD meant) I would embrace it as a teachable moment. We would talk about yeah, men like boobs. Some men also act like boobs and they advertise with their T-shirts. Before you show a man yours, make sure he can handle your brains that come with said boobs.

• User
    12 years ago

you're so right tish, a lot has to do with how the parents respond to their kids about it too. It's just unfortunate that some people feel such a need to put it out there.

• sweeby
    12 years ago

I'd be very tempted to call the cable company and complain. I've gotta say that if he showed up to my house to install cable and my husband wasn't there, I'd tell him I changed my mind and reschedule for another day, another installer. If my husband WAS there, you can bet HE would have a talk with the inconsiderate jerk.

Gotta also add that men's ignorance about bra sizing also annoys me! Most guys would take a 34DD over a 38DD in a heartbeat if they saw the two women side by side...

• happylady1957
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are so right about that being a teachable moment, and lukkiirish, that is some story about Lady Gaga. Things are just out of bounds these days. I'm sure it's all about how kids are raised, of course. It seems as if all gentility has gone out the window. Sweeby, if he had come to my home to install cable, I also would have complained to the company.

• les917
    12 years ago

Stupid shirt, but assuming the guy was not at work, I don't see any reason to call the cable company, for heaven's sake. You don't know if he has a mandatory uniform shirt to wear over that - most do.

Honestly, I don't find that as offensive as the "save the tatas' shirts and accessories that are out there to support breast cancer. Hip, fun? Nope, offensive and completely missing the point, imo.

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

I was sure it was going to be a shirt similiar to the I Heart Boobies, Save the Tatats, etc., that have now been addded to many breast cancer events. As much as I don't like them, they are there, raising awareness.

Different subject here. I am certain that there is a big possibility that the guy may probably be an a$$, given the shirt's message. However, I do think if he works in public, his employer issued work shirt goes over the T. He was online in a bank on his own time, yes? Do you really want to cost another person a job over wearing a tshirt you don't like? What is this world coming to. We all could use a dose of tolerance and use moments like this as teachable moments. With so many unemployed, now is not the time to start dropping dimes when we disagree with another's mode of dress. JMHO

• lee676
    12 years ago

> Gotta also add that men's ignorance about bra sizing also annoys me! Most guys would take a 34DD over a 38DD in a heartbeat

I was thinking the same - this dude's t-shirt is essentially saying "I like broads with large, widely-spaced breasts with no discernable cleavage", which probably isn't what he had in mind.

Me, if I like a woman, i'll like her boobs whatever size and shape they happen to be. I wish I could convey this better than I do, without often being greeted by unwarranted disbelief that all men aren't staring at your chests whenever you walk into the room.

• maddielee
    12 years ago

If the guy is anything like many of the guys I know, he probably received the shirt for free didn't have a clue what he was wearing that day...

What about the tee shirt that reads; "Yankees Suck" ? Offensive to everyone or just to Yankees fans?

Here is a link that might be useful: Tee shirt not allowed at Tropicana Field

• lee676
    12 years ago

I'd happily wear a "Yankees Suck!" shirt at Fenway.... (or if I was brave enough, even at Yankee Stadium). Nothing offensive there - I mean, we're talkin' the Yankees y'know...

• sweeby
    12 years ago

Well, OK -- If he wasn't at work and there was no visible connection to his employer, then yeah - ratting him out for having incredibly poor taste on his own free time crosses the line. But if he wore that shirt to work? No mercy.

• newbuyer2007
    12 years ago

I'm just scratching my head over two posters above being offensive to women with 38 DD's.

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

I don't really find it offensive - just stupid. And who knows, maybe he's a perfectly nice guy who just hadn't done laundry in awhile and that shirt was about the only thing clean. Or maybe he's a perfectly nice guy who thinks certain things are funny or clever when they're not, which really makes him sort of a schmuck in my mind.

But really, I think there are so many more things in this world that truly are offensive that we're better off focusing on. Just write this guy off as probably silly or misguided and carry on.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i would GUESS that there are a WHOLE LOT more 38dds out there than 34dds ... unless there's been surgical augmentation!!! (or unless she's nursing!)

i seen alot of distasteful t-shirts over the years- down the shore and at amusement parks often times! i've seen alot of distasteful behavior too- lots of teaching moments! that particular shirt would have caught my eye, but i don't think i would have been offended at all...i would have judged him to be immature tho- and probably, but not surprisingly, single!

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

My DH was once drawn to slogan t-shirts (thankfully, not so much anymore). A few years ago he received a shirt in the mail emblazoned with "She Looked Good Last Night." Apparently this is a quote (or was on a shirt worn by a character) in a remake of the movie, "The Bad News Bears." He thought it was funny. I thought it was incredibly lame, and I told him there was no way I'd be seen anywhere in public with him wearing that shirt. I don't believe the shirt has ever been on his body; in fact, I think it's long since just disappeared.

This is just to say that my DH is ordinarily a very sensitive, thoughtful man and I know he wouldn't purposely offend someone. For whatever reason, that particular shirt struck him as being so funny that he had to own it (however briefly), which just tells me that even the good guys can have less than stellar moments from time to time.
    ;-)

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

As far as offensive Tshirts go, the 38DD one seems pretty tame to me. I know I've seen worse, but can' think if any off the top of my head. I did think of this thread though, when I saw a bumper sticker today declaring the owner of the car as a "Vagitarian".

• sweeby
    12 years ago

My only point on bra sizing was that while most men know that a bigger *letter* means bigger breasts, they ALSO seem to think that the larger the *number* the larger the breasts -- when in fact, it's the woman's girth.

• newbuyer2007
    12 years ago

^ Well, since bra sizes are relative, a woman with 38 DD's has larger breasts than a woman with 34 DD's. But a lot of people, men and women, don't seem to understand how bra sizes work, and think only the cup size is important. They should pick up a size 32 C bra and a size 52 C bra and compare the cup sizes. The cups on the 52 C bra will be much larger.

I don't think either quote below is accurate:

"Gotta also add that men's ignorance about bra sizing also annoys me! Most guys would take a 34DD over a 38DD in a heartbeat"

"I was thinking the same - this dude's t-shirt is essentially saying "I like broads with large, widely-spaced breasts with no discernable cleavage", which probably isn't what he had in mind."

• newbuyer2007
    12 years ago

I can't edit my post above, but to clarify, I was not trying to say that a woman wearing a 52 C is not overweight. I just used such a large example because it would be easier to see the difference between a 32 C and a 52 C than a 34 DD and a 38 DD.

But a 38 DD? Not necessarily overweight, at all! I was a 38 back when people were telling me I was too thin. And men liked my breasts. :-P

• Olychick
    12 years ago

It is offensive that anyone is talking about women's breast sizes as relevant to anything. Really/?? It is 2011!!! I think this discussion could easily be about men's penis length. Who gives a rip??? I can't believe there is a thread about this other than it is offensive that there was a t-shirt that even referred to breasts.

• User
    12 years ago

I think the point that the OP was trying to make is that the she felt the shirt was inappropriate for her daughter to see. A lot of you are saying that in your opinion the shirt was fine, and for a many adults it probably was, but she didn't feel it was something she felt was appropriate for her daughter to see.

As far as him coming to my house with it on, we recently had a Dish Network installer in our house and afterwards we received a call to ask questions about the installers service. One question was, "Was the installer appropriately dressed". I don't know if I would call to complain, but that inquiry told me that it's a concern for the cable companies especially those who out source their installations.

• newbuyer2007
    12 years ago

*sigh* I think I was trying to say something along the lines of what the last two posters did, but it did not come out right. I was disappointed to see people disparaging a woman because of her breast size, whatever that size may be.

And yeah, the tacky shirt was supposed to be the subject of this thread. Like some others said, I would not say anything. The guy was not working and he may have covered up that T-shirt with a work shirt when he went back on the clock.

• User
    12 years ago

Oh Newbuyer, you're fine! I totally got what you were saying and completely agree with you! Just funny how topics morph sometimes!

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Being a Guy here...I kinda chuckled when I read the t-shirt's description!

BUT...I don't like shirts like that "on the job".
    He wouldn't be working for ME wearing that shirt, on the clock anyway....

I realize I don't know the guy from a hole-in-the-wall, but on its FACE, the wording itself doesn't seem "offensive" in a derogatory manner. Frat-house humor, yes. Purposely offensive....nah, I don't see it THAT way...

It's kind of stating the obvious anyway....;-)
    -at least for 95% of the Men out there.

(and I don't mean that in ANY disrespectful manner!!)

Faron