Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Have you taken any tours in San Francisco?

TxMarti
10 years ago

I am trying to gather information for a group of us going this summer. I've read yelp reviews and they are fairly mixed, so I thought I'd see if anyone here has anything to recommend.

Comments (34)

• hilltop_gw
    10 years ago

Alcatraz is a must-go, but be prepared as it can be cool on the island. We enjoyed segway rides at Golden Gate Park thru Electric Company. Be sure to arrive plenty early. Coit Tower is an interesting bit of history.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I had been to SF well over a dozen times, and never had any interest in Alcatraz. Last time, we were with our preteen son and went for his sake. I was so glad I went! So pretty and so interesting. Make sure to eat first or pack a picnic! And there is a little bit of uphill walking.

I always like to see Muir Woods and Point Reyes when I go too, maybe with lunch in Sausalito? (La garage is great)

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

There are also day trips to the wine country.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

DD1 went to college, then worked in SF. Lived there almost 10 years. I never took a tour when visiting her, but DH did - Alcatraz, Muir Woods and boat ride under the GGB. DH walked across the GGB then walked around Fort Mason. Nice view back to the city. Then he walked back. Most ride one way.

If it's a pretty day, ride the ferry to Sausalito for lunch.

I would skip the double decker bus tours. Isn't there a Duck Tour in SF now? They are usually fun.

Chinatown is interesting to walk through. When she lived in Nob Hill we would walk through Chinatown to North Beach/Little Italy for dinner (favorite place burned down).

If you're going to be there long, you might want to look into buying a Muni Pass - unlimited riding of buses, cable cars and street cars. Linking below (scroll down to Passport > Muni Passport section)

The Marina District is fun to go in the afternoon/at night to walk around and have dinner one night. Fisherman's Wharf also.

The Ferry Building for lunch.

She lived in Marin her last 3 years there, and we did not go into the city as much during that time. But homeless and panhandlers are on every corner... and the same ones there year after year.

The theater district is near Union Square. But don't venture into the Tenderloin District.

If you're walking around downtown, it's dirty... as in, if you wear sandals your feet will be filthy (think sandal outline on your foot) when you take them off at night. Considering they don't get much rain all summer, it makes sense. Even in the summer, it can be/will be cool in the morning and at night, so you'll need a jacket. I usually took a lined denim jacket and was okay with either long or short sleeve shirt.

If you want shopping street highlights: Hayes St (Hayes Valley), Fillmore St and Sacramento St (Pacific Heights), Maiden Lane (off Union Square area).

Here is a link that might be useful: Muni Passport

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Allison! I just found out that the hotel we booked (in South San Francisco) that we thought had free shuttle serviced to the Wharf, only has it on Friday and Saturday. So I'm looking at other alternatives. What is the difference in Bart & the Muni?

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

The Muni is the bus, train, and cablecar system in the city, basically. The BART does some routes in the city and then connects surrounding areas like Oakland and the airport areas. Think I got that right.

Alcatraz is a must-do if you've never been. Yes, it's touristy, but it is also a national park.

Wine country never disappoints. The tour companies will pick you up from your hotel.

Last year DH and I did some amazing tours. One was the Victorian Home walk tour, where you get to go on some side streets where tour buses are too large to fit. We had a large group including some senior ladies who did fine. The walking is not hilly.

Now, if you loved the movie "Milk" and/or support the LGBT community, we did a tour of the Castro district called Cruising the Castro. They have banned public nudity in SF, but I don't know if people are defying it. We saw some nude men walking down the street and hanging out, literally, but that was last summer. The nudity ban went into effect Feb 1.

Here is a link that might be useful: Victorian Home Walk Tour

• kristine_ca
    10 years ago

Yes, get the Muni Passport--it's good on all Muni trains, buses, cable cars, historic streetcars, etc. We were just in SF over spring break and found the passports very convenient.

South San Francisco seems pretty far from the action to me--it's a completely different city, you know! You will spend lots of time just getting to the city itself. Staying in the city is expensive, but I think it's a splurge worth taking for the convenience factor. We stayed 2 blocks north of Union Square, right at the start of Chinatown. Very handy to walk several places from there, and close to both cable car lines to get further away. The only place we even used our car the entire time was to drive to the GG bridge.

• maddie260
    10 years ago

Just wondering how big your group is? If you are interested, there are many VRBOs in the city. SSF is not that far from San Francisco; if you have a car, it's a straight shot to the city. (It is closer to the airport; is that how you ended up there?) I disagree with someone above; I don't think those city tours are a bad idea. San Francisco is a VERY HILLY city and I don't think it is the greatest walking city if anyone in your group is not up for it! Chrissy field is not be missed; it's the site for America's Cup and walking distance to the Marina district and Union Street. It's also pretty close to Ghiradelli Square, etc. Sam's in Tiburon is always one of my favorite places to take out of town guests. If you can, catch a Giants' game at AT&T; it's a beautiful ball park.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

That's a great idea on VRBO. Last year at my conference, some colleagues rented a house. It may be more economical and you can have a kitchen and maybe even a laundry.

It is possible to walk from Union Square to the Wharf but it is very hilly, and like the PP said, it is not for everyone.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

One of our trips to san fran, we spent a bunch of time visiting the museums at golden gate park which was a lot of fun.

Also, be aware that there are bus routes that parallel the cable cars. We were glad to learn that as they are worth riding once in awhile, but can get very crowded with tourists and wait lines.

Also, we went to see the cable car museum which was fun.

I agree about alcatraz....great views of the city.

You can also get a great view of San Fran from Treasure Island.

This one was taken from the north side of the GGB:

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Yes, the Muni is the light rail (buses, cable cars, street cars). BART system is the trains. BART leaves the city - SFO and OAK airports, Oakland, etc.

Is there a reason you're staying in SSF? Like someone said above, it's not far, but not that close. A lot of time will be wasted going into the city and back each day. You won't be able to go back to the hotel/house to rest and head back to the city the same day - well, you would be able to, but won't want to, imo.

DD1 lived in Tiburon, and loved Sam's Anchor Cafe. But if they don't have a car, that's not easily doable.

DD1 just popped upstairs. She said she would be more worried about your safety in SSF. "It's super dangerous." Along with "don't stop for anyone. Keep your bags close. Just keep moving."

This post was edited by allison0704 on Tue, May 7, 13 at 8:47

• User
    10 years ago

DH and I went on a Segway tour of SF a few years ago, it was lots of fun. I have been on these in several cities, it's a great way to see things you wouldn't on a bus tour, but faster than a walking tour. Paris is my fave Segway city!

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There will be 6 of us. One of us travels all the time and she booked the hotel, but we can certainly change it. When she booked it, the website said (and still says) that there is a shuttle to downtown SF. But I am getting info on attractions for our group right now and I called the hotel to find out when the shuttle ran, and even though the website says free shuttle to SF and free trolley to SF on Friday and Saturday, they only have a bus to SF downtown on Friday and Saturday, nothing during the week.

The last person at the hotel recommended calling a town car when we needed to go to & from SF. Flat rate of $55 so cheaper than renting a car or cab. But he also said there is a lot of traffic between the hotel and downtown and it could take awhile to get anywhere. He didn't say how long it takes to get to somewhere like the Ferry Building.

Another of our group is looking at alternative hotels closer to the areas we want to go. What hotels did you stay and how long did you usually have to wait for transportation? I'm concerned that we will buy tickets for something that starts at 8:30 and not make it there on time.

We usually do rent a condo or something through VRBO or Home Away. I don't know why not this time.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

We usually do rent a condo or something through VRBO or Home Away. I don't know why not this time.

Because this time the person in charge of lodging doesn't like to make their own bed.

Sorry, no serious advice about SF, for the life of me I can't recall the hotel. When we took a cable car ride for some reason the conductor didn't charge us and said don't worry about it when we offered to pay. That's one of our silly little memories of the trip - our free cable car ride.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, that's one of my few memories of a trip we made to SF about 17 years ago. That and thinking I was going to have a heart attack walking those hills! Our trolley guy didn't charge us because we got on about a block from the end and didn't know it.

Actually the lady who booked our hotel is the same one who usually finds us a condo, so it's not that. I think she was price shopping and this was the best price.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

If you are going to spend that much money/time to travel into the city, seriously just pay more for a hotel or VRBO, if you can convince her of that. I would not stay out by the airport area unless I had business out there.

Most of the tours pick up from major hotels ,or else the walking tours we did we had to meet at specific location. The Victorian walk was no reservations required, but the Castro one we booked in advance.

We stay at a great boutique hotel called the Golden Gate that is near Chinatown, just a little north of Union Square. From the Powell BART station it is a decent walk uphill, especialy pulling a carryon bag.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

DH stayed at a hotel once when visiting DD1 alone so he could have a bed. He like the location, price at the time. Fisherman's Wharf Holiday Inn Express - it's about a block or two from the Wharf but good location.

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza (Union Square) when DD1 first moved to SF. It's closed now, but reopened as 33 ? Uses the address, DH thinks.

• maddie260
    10 years ago

If you want lodging cheaper than a hotel, consider the many motels along Lombard Street in SF. It's a safe area and puts you in a good place for many tourist attractions. There are good restaurants and there is night life in the area. Muni and taxicabs service the area pretty well; I'm well acquainted with the 30 Stockton!

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone. I'm going to pass this info along to the group and see if anyone can check into these.

gsciencechick, do you think 6 almost-senior-citizen, overweight & out of shape (at least me) women could make that walk pulling a bag? I seriously thought I was going to have a heart attack 17 years ago after we had walked about 5 blocks.

This post was edited by marti8a on Tue, May 7, 13 at 15:39

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

How light of a packer are you? Because the very last hill on the block before the hotel on Powell is very steep. However, since the BART lets you off in Union Square area, you can always catch a cab from there.Taking the BART from the airport is very easy.

In the few days before DH arrived, if I was out to dinner with colleagues, I would take a cab back because it was at night.

This post was edited by gsciencechick on Tue, May 7, 13 at 19:31

• kristine_ca
    10 years ago

We stayed at the Orchard Garden Hotel on Bush St. Very nice--no complaints. Walked to most things and took public transport for the rest. Seriously--find a place to stay in the city--you will all have a much better time.

We did see some people hauling their suitcases up the hill... it looked very challenging. Even the moderate hills are pretty steep and tiring, so frankly I wouldn't attempt it from the Powell St station unless you were only 2 blocks away at the most.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Kristine_ca, the Golden Gate hotel where we stay is also on Bush St. But I agree, great central location.

• ljwrar
    10 years ago

A few tips from a San Francisco resident.

I agree with most of the posts so far. Especially about staying in San Francisco. I don't agree that SSF is dangerous, just not convenient. You can choose to pay for daily transportation from SSF or pay more for lodging. If you stay in SF, you will can easily go to your hotel to rest before dinner, then head out for the evening. Not so easy to do if you stay in SSF.

Getting from the airport to downtown by BART is easy, but with fares for 6 people and a cab ride up the hill, it may be cheaper and easier just to get a cab from SFO. You will need an SUV cab to accommodate 6 people and luggage.

maryanne3, do you have a recommendation for a hotel on Lombard? About 10 years ago, DH and I looked at about a dozen motels for his family. We could only recommend 2 or 3 of them! And we were only looking for clean rooms that did not smell. No other amenities mattered. I suggest getting a recommendation or check out Yelp before booking one of those.

Here is a link for a quirky, fun tour. I have not been on it yet, but I did meet "Emperor Norton" on a MUNI train and he was written up in our local paper.

Have a great trip!

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Emperor Norton

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks ljlwrar. We booked a hotel on Fisherman's Wharf, so that should make things easier.

I've been out of town for the last 2 weeks and the rest of the group has been talking about which tours to take. Most of them want to do an all day Napa Valley tour, but I think I'm going to do something different that day. It's a bit pricey just to watch the scenery. I haven't been able to drink any wine in a couple of years without suffering terrible hot flashes and would rather spend that money on something I can do.

Any tips on a tour I would enjoy doing by myself? The only thing I can think of that I would really like to do that the rest of the group wouldn't is Alcatraz. For those who have been, would you do that one alone?

• ljwrar
    10 years ago

marti8a,

I would definitely take the Alcatraz tour alone. Renting the headphones is worth it for your first trip. It really adds to the experience.

Have a great trip!

Lisa

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I'll do that. One of the other ladies is going to skip the wine tour. She loves old books and we both love antiques, so we are going to browse some stores. Is there any street in particular that might be fun to poke around in and uncover hidden treasure like that?

• ljwrar
    10 years ago

I hope other people can chime in here. So many book and antique stores in SF have closed. The best used bookstore is Green Apple Books at 6th and Clement. If you go to the museums in Golden Gate Park, it may be worhwhile to walk up to Clement for the book store and lunch. Le Soleil is a great Vietnamese restaurant nearby. There are a few other stores around there, but not much to brag about.

Another fun area is Valencia Street. It used to be a great antique and used book store area, but has been taken over by hipsters. There are still some bookstores. One may be on 16th St. but it may have closed. There is another one on Valencia just south of 16th. At the way north end under the freeway, you will find a pricey, but really fun antique mall called "Stuff" with mostly mid century items. There is another antique store on 18th St. called the Apartment. They usually have interesting things.

The restaurants on Valencia are pretty amazing. It's the new hip area with tons of great choices.

Hope this helps.
    Lisa

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Lisa, I'm writing down everything you mentioned.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thought I'd give you an update on our trip. The first day 5 of them did a wine tour and a friend and I looked for bookstores. We got the muni pass and rode cable cars and buses through upper SF and into the Mission district. We walked more miles than I have ever walked in my life, ate at some great restaurants, and took the BART back to the Ferry Building. We did the Hop on Hop off, and that was probably a good way to get acquainted with the city. We should have done that the first day. We went to Sausalito, saw the Golden Gate and Oakland Bridges, and the Seven Sisters. We spent every evening walking through Fisherman's Wharf.

I bet the locals get tired of tourists but we found it fascinating to hear all the different languages spoken around us. We met a young man who had decided to drop out of his master's program and tour the world all by himself. He was from Israel and had climbed part of Mt. Everest, and been to Africa, Antarctica, Peru and several countries in South America, and had been across the northern US starting in New York.

We also wondered why we didn't see any flies and mosquitoes there. All that seafood sitting out on tables in the open air and nothing but seagulls around.

Very interesting. Wouldn't want to live there, but wouldn't mind going back every few years, especially if we rented a condo rather than stay in a hotel.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Glad you and everyone else had a good time!

Also one of my favorite places to visit. DH and I *would* like to live there, though.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Glad you and everyone else had a good time!

Also one of my favorite places to visit. DH and I *would* like to live there, though.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm afraid my knees couldn't take it on a daily basis. I spent too many years pounding tennis courts and my knees and hips are just about shot.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

Glad you guys had a good time. The hop on hop off and the muni passes are a great way to navigate the city. Regarding flying insects or lack thereof: California bay area is quite dry in the summer so not much water for the mosquitos and such to breed and proliferate. My friends from back east are were amazed when they came over for dinner and I served al fresco in the courtyard and we hung out in the backyard till late in shorts and tshirts. I do love this about my home town :)

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One night we took a cab home from a restaurant, and our driver was from the SE. We said something to him about the lack of flies and mosquitoes and he said they trained them all to go to Texas! lol

We did see some flies in Sausalito though.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES