Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

Maya Angelou

bac717
9 years ago

Maya Angelou died today at the age of 86. I heard on the radio today, a quote of hers that I'd heard before, but had forgotten about.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Comments (7)

• ellendi
    9 years ago

So true. She was an inspiration.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

So sorry to hear this. The world is definitely a better place for having her in it...such an extraordinary woman!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

One of her best quotes to remember. I was so sad to hear of her passing from this world, and yes, she was truly extraordinary and an inspiration to so many.

• bestyears
    9 years ago

I'll miss her -just loved her energy, her passion, her courage.....

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I was so lucky to hear her speak at a conference 3 years ago. She was frail in body but still strong in mind and spirit.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I loved this, from an interview with Oprah...
    Maya: I can't remember ever being anxious about it, even when I was very young. At every age, I've been grateful. I talked to you years ago about how important that is. Get up in the morning. Thank you, Lord. Thank you for this day. Thank you for the light coming through that window. Thank you for my breath. Thank you for the phone call that told me I have the job. Thank you even for the phone call that told me I'm not wanted anymore. Thank you, because I know you have something better for me lined up.

Oprah: Yes. In one of the seminal moments of my life, I was at that farm I had in Indiana--you remember the farm. And I was in the bathroom sitting on the toilet seat, trying to get some quiet, because there were people at the house, and I'd called you crying hysterically about something, I don't even remember what. But I was calling for your open, empathetic, loving embrace. And you said, "Stop it right now. I want you to say, 'Thank you.'" And I said, "What am I saying thank you for?" And you said, "Because you know God has put a rainbow in the clouds for you." That was life-changing for me.

Maya: Yes, darling.

Oprah: So when whatever it is hits--

Maya: Thank you.

Oprah: Thank you.

Maya: Because I know something better is on the road for me.

When things look their worst, say Thank You as that means there's something new and better coming your way. Even if you can't see it now, you will. Love it!

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

I heard her speak at a Young Author's conference, but I was far too young to appreciate the experience. As an adult, every quote I've read by her leaves me deeply touched-- I have to make the time to read more of her work. What an amazing person. I am so glad she was honored by others when she was alive. So many are not!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz