Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Do you wear Charm Bracelets?

Oakley
10 years ago

I broke down and bought a Pandora starter charm bracelet. I have always had this "thing" about charm bracelets! I love the little jingle sound they make.

I don't plan on filling mine up though. I want to be able to wear it full-time.

Do you have a charm bracelet, or a Pandora charm bracelet?

If so can you take a picture? I know that's a lot to ask, but I love looking at people's charms!

Comments (34)

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

I had one in high school because all my friends did but found that, like my mother, most bracelets are uncomfortable for me to wear and end up irritating me. In the early years of our marriage, DH gifted me with three gorgeous Southwestern silver wrist cuffs inset with semiprecious stones. I do try to wear them occasionally, but after an hour or so, I end up wanting to clobber someone with them. Sadly, my poor DD is the same way. Too bad because those Pandora bracelets are really pretty. You'll have to show us yours, Oakley.

• vickij
    10 years ago

Love charm bracelets! I have a silver one that I wear a lot. My gold charm bracelet is now worth so much money that I keep it in the lockbox. I also have a Pandora that I use for every day wear. The Pandora doesn't jingle like the other two. I always must be mindful of what outfit I am wearing because the gold and silver bracelets will snag loosely woven clothes. Sadly, I have no daughters to pass them on to. These bracelets are very precious to me because each charm signifies something important and meaningful in my life. Enjoy!

• amj0517
    10 years ago

I typically don't wear much jewelry. I love how it looks on others, but I'm always so aware of it when it's on me. I do have a Pandora bracelet though. I received it as a gift with only a charm or two on it, but it is completely full now. Once people know that you have one, charms are the perfect gift! It doesn't "jingle" and it is heavy now that it is loaded.

Right now it is a hodge-podge of all the charms. I really like the look of the bracelets that are color coordinated but I don't have enough charms for that yet.

(If I can figure out how to upload a photo from my phone I will post it.)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have TV on in the office and I'm watching QVC with Judith Ripkin jewelry. Oh my. :)

I wanted a gold bracelet but it was only $1,300 more than the silver. Oy.

Lynn, I have a cuff bracelet I got in Mexico City with inlaid turquoise and it's beautiful, but it drives me NUTS.

I generally only wear bracelets when I'm going somewhere but I decided I wanted to wear one all the time since I'm a a very casual dresser but like to look somewhat put together.

What I did was wear my gold chain link bracelet 24/7 the past two months. The first few days I wanted it OFF. Now I feel naked without it.

Amj, I also felt very aware of the bracelet when I was wearing it, but as I said, I got used to it.

Does your bracelet have any "dangle" charms on it along with the bead charms? I want a little mixture of both.

A friend is going to check into getting me a book bead. There is a lady who will paint your favorite book cover on the bead.

Here's the bracelet I ordered. This websie was recommended by a reviewer. Now I just need to decide on charms. I like how many companies are now making Pandora type charms so we don't have to pay a fortune.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bracelet

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I have 2, both were my MIL's. One has charms of each of my kids, her grandkids, and the other is places that she traveled or others traveled and brought back a charm for her. Both are very unique, one SS, the other probably a plated gold, and would nice if worn together. I love bracelets, and forgot I even have them in my jewelry box~thanks oak. ;o)

• jlj48
    10 years ago

My Mother started a charm bracelet for me when I was a kid. It is full of charms that are sentimental and significant. I started one for my daughter, but it is different and she doesn't seem to be very much into it. I love how the old ones tell a story about a person.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Joanie, I have my mother's gold charm bracelet (she's passed) and my sterling one and while I don't wear them, i do indeed cherish the "stories" they encompass. Her first house, college graduation, marriage, first dog, cat, me, my brothers,..so many things. The same with my charm bracelet as she always bought me a charm or two each birthday.
    Each charm represented something about me and in many cases, a significant life event.
    The scrapbooks of those generations.
    I find the modern charm bracelets very pretty but they don't have the significance of the older style.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Amj, is it necessary to have a space/clip between each charm? I read that a spacer keeps the charms from hitting each other and helps show off the charms better.

To get the little jingle sound I so like, I'm wondering if I could get away without using a spacer between the long charms and the beads? Remember, I don't plan on filling mine up all the way.

I was looking on QVC and they have some really cute charms that will fit on a P. bracelet at half the price.

Right now I'm searching the net to get an idea on how to put my charms together....once I buy them. It's like choosing colors for a house, I kid you not!

I have my mom's old silver charm bracelet from a sorority she was in, but dang her wrist are small. lol

• texanjana
    10 years ago

I was lucky enough to inherit my grandmother's gold one. I wear it occasionally, but it is loud and I suspect pretty valuable as it and all the charms are 14 kt or better gold. DH has bought me a few for it, but they are expensive! My mom also has a 14 kt gold one that she says I will inherit. (I am the only daughter and granddaughter). Now wouldn't wearing them together be something?

• chickadee2_gw
    10 years ago

Oakleyok, check out these website for beads for your bracelet. I think Riogrande.com will have higher quality sterling beads than Fire Mountain Gems. You're going to be paying for the weight in sterling so keep that in mind when you compare prices. Rio Grande's Pandora type beads are listing as "frolic beads". I don't see the mm listed for the size of your chain, but you should know how wide it is to be sure it will fit through beads other than Pandora. Both of these stores will send you their catalogs for free.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fire Mountain Gems

• User
    10 years ago

I don't have one. I don't really care for how bracelets look on me.

I had a really nice charm bracelet that belonged to my great aunt. It was antique gold with cool rocks and neat charms. Like a goof, I got rid of it sometime during my teen years. :(

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I have a Pandora bracelet and a Troll one (Troll is similar, but the bracelet and charms are more "rustic" for lack of a better word -- the silver is duller, which I actually prefer). I went through a phase of wearing them a lot, but I can't stand wearing heavy bracelets for any period of time, so I haven't worn either of them in ages. I don't know how people do it! I have a very lightweight chain bracelet in white gold with white topaz stones that weighs nothing and I wear it almost 24/7. I usually only change it for a specific "look" or occasion.

I have my mother's charm bracelet that she got when she was a teenager. I love to look at it but I've never worn it.

My DD has the sort of charm bracelet I wish I had started for myself long ago. It's a typical silver charm bracelet, and we buy her a charm every time we go on a trip. She's only 12 but that bracelet is filling up! She doesn't wear it because it's still too big for her, but she loves having it. Now, she thinks she wants a Pandora bracelet but I think it will be too heavy for her. She's tiny for her age and hardly ever wears any kind of bracelet...I think she just likes the IDEA of Pandora. And I certainly am not going to buy her the bracelet and charms just for the heck of it -- they do add up! She has a lot of money saved and is trying to decide whether she wants to spend it that way. I'm guessing she won't, in the end.

After this discussion, I'm thinking I might dig out either my Pandora or Troll bracelet and wear it today, though!

PS I also have the necklace chain, which I like. Sometimes when we travel, I'll just bring the chain and a bunch of charms, and that way I can create a new look every day without packing a lot of different necklaces.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jana, I bet your bracelet is worth a fortune! When I'm watching TV and a lady's bracelet makes jingling sounds, my ear's love it. lol.

Chickadee, thanks for the sites and tips. I'm doing a lot of research before I make my first purchase. I didn't even think about the size of the openings.

Shee, this may sound silly, but now that I've gotten older I don't feel as feminine asI used to. When I was your age I'd wear little pieces of jewelry all the time, nothing fancy though. So I'm reaching out to my inner girly-girl to get that feeling back. Wearing my shorts and tee's all the time at home, having a bracelet makes me feel better. But I don't want a heavy one.

Sue, I bet your DD has seen older girls wear their Pandora bracelets. I agree, I'd have her wait for now.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Gosh, now you have made me want to go dig out my charm bracelet from junior high school. They were quite the fad way back then and I often got charms as gifts. Most of the charms have meaning but some, if they did, I can no longer remember what they symbolize. It is silver. I never thought about the value until now.

My sister gave her bridesmaids a charm bracelet with a charm of a bridesmaid. It was totally dorky. I also have a collection of prom keys and charms that I got at fraternity dances. I guess they don't do that any more, do they?

If I can dig the bracelet out, I will take a photo of it later. It is pretty well buried in my unused jewelry box.

Oh, I am another one who cannot tolerate cuff bracelets. I have one that belonged to my great aunt and has her initials on it. I would love to be able to wear it and it does look very nice, but it usually ends up in my bag within an hour or two. Whenever I turn my hand, it rubs up against that bumpy bone in my wrist. Large jewelry looks good on me but I just can;t stand the way it feels.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

I wear trollbeads.. did you know that pandora and troll are related? Brothers own the companies-- one brother was down on his luck and the other helped him start up pandora based on the trollbead model. I prefer troll. I have a ridiculous number of beads-- many of them gifts-- and I change it out to match my mood or the season. Right now I am wearing bright aquas and greens and have both silver and gold beads. I love the funky ones best.. i'd say my bracelet is pretty but it's every bit as interesting.

I also wear a charm necklace-- actually, I have two. The one i wear daily is a chain with 4 handmade heather moore charms. Not for those looking for a budget look. I think my necklace is probably worth more than my car. Ok. I KNOW it is worth more than my car. LOL. I also have a storywheels necklace in yellow gold and diamonds-- i love the delicacy of it but it looks great with MANY charms or just a few. I am in between the two.

I love the story and meaning behind the charms. The heather moore charms, I designed myself.. troll and storywheels come with their own "stories". Enjoy yours!!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I always think cuff bracelets looks lopsided on my wrist.

Funky, I've seen the troll beads and I really like them, but they're not compatible with Pandora. I guess they had to do it on purpose.

Help me out here. I want to kind of hurry and order some charms since my bracelet wil be here soon. Should I start with one charm and two spacers? Should the spacers be identical at first? If I do fill the bracelet up I know most of the spacers will be different.

I swear searching for charms is like looking at paint samples. So much to choose from! I want a "Queen Bee" charm but I don't like Pandora's. I saw a really cute one last night but now I can't find it.

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

I like them but don't like the feeling of a bracelet sliding up and down my arm. I do have a vintage scarab bracelet that I love. What I really love is necklaces!

It's fun looking at vintage charm bracelets on ebay!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

These are from when I was a child. I stopped getting charms when I was about 12, but all these have meaning. The top was one my parents started for all of us to track the states we had visited. The middle was to remember the family's first trip to Europe, and the bottom one was random, but each charm reflected a place, an interest, or an accomplishment. They do make me smile, but I never wear them. I suppose I should polish them. Occasionally, I will wear my scarab bracelet.

• User
    10 years ago

Cyn, love the state bracelet! DD has a silver charm bracelet from us that is full of enameled charms. They are colorful and all meaningful to her, and although she does not wear it often, she loves it. I still get her charms for holidays like Valentine's and St Patrick's days.

This post was edited by kswl on Sat, May 18, 13 at 16:10

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Hmmm, the picture seems to be upside down now. Wasn't like that to start. Sorry.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Jana love your bracelet. I have "head" charms too!! Years ago my husband started a charm bracelet for me. It is silver (I do not wear yellow gold) and it is cram packed full. A charm bracelet is something to me that has meaning when someone else buys it for you and when others add charms to it. My husband bought charms of many places we visited. I well remember his determination in finding a liberty bell in Philly! There's a wedding bell, a birthday cake, charms from trips, a key to my heart, a fishing pole with a fish ("his" charm LOL), a little doggie, etc. Several holiday charms such as a jackolantern, a Christmas tree and an easter egg. But the heads, my grandmother had a charm bracelet when we we babies. After my husband gave me my bracelet, my grandmother gave me my "head" charm. I later bought a boy head and had my husband's birthdate engraved on it. I also have a heart charm that my husband gave me with our wedding date engraved on it

Fast foward and I now have a pandora style bracelet. Courtesy again of my husband. :) I say pandora style, because while the bracelet is pandora, I have several other kind of beads on it. I am not partial to the pandora beads/charms because I prefer to be different LOL. Etsy is a great place unique beads. This bracelet is also silver. My most recent beads/charms are two my husband bought me for Valentine's - a bead with paw prints to represent our pup and a solid silver heart. My pandora bracelet does not jingle. I do recommend the end bead stopper thingies and a safety chain.

Oh and some troll beads do fit Pandora. Some have the larger opening. Same thing with Chamilla (sp??) beads.

tina

tina

• amj0517
    10 years ago

oakleyok - I have a few dangle charms, but they are small. I do not have spacers between every charm. I do have clips over the threaded portions of the bracelet. They hold the charms in place. Before I had the clips, and I had only a few charms, all the charms would migrate to one side of the bracelet. One of the clips is located between the white bead and the metal charm with the hearts. The other clip is located between the heart dangle charm and the metal flower bead.

As I said in my earlier post, it's a hodge-podge of charms right now. I'd love to get more so I can color coordinate the charms. But all of the charms hold a meaning. Initials for my children, birthstones, favorite sports, etc.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is so pretty! What is the difference between a clip and a spacer? I guess the clip keeps thing from moving, right?

My bracelet came today and I love it! I see that you have the Pandora heart that looks like a tush. I think they're cute. lol

• amj0517
    10 years ago

A clip is attached to a threaded section of the bracelet and it doesn't move. I believe a spacer is just another charm that is quite narrow. Technically, the bible or "tush" :) charm may be attached by a piece that is about the size of a spacer.

If you go to a Pandora store (not a jewelry store that carries Pandora - but an actual store) they will give you a thick catalog of ALL of their products. I gave mine away otherwise I'd look up the differences for you.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Amj, I may contact Pandora and see if they'd mail a catalog, or just hit one up in the City if there is one. I know there's a store that always advertises Pandora on TV.

I want the Queen Bee really bad. lol

Here's a cute story. When I buy little trinkets for myself, I usually keep mum. DH wouldn't mind, but for some reason I don't announce it.

When I ordered the bracelet I told my DIL about it and told her to keep it on the downlow.

We were all sitting outside when my 2 yr. old DGD suddenly looked at my wrist (I did have a gold bracelet on before the new one) and she immediately went to it and said, "Brace wet." DIL and I came in the house and just cracked up. Leave it to a girl to notice such things!

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

I hadn't wanted a pandora bracelet before, but after reading this and seeing the pictures, I am starting to want one!

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

The true Pandora can be expensive; if you like the look, but want to start a charm bracelet less expensively, I would recommend DiVinci at the Hallmark stores.

DD and I discovered the line while Christmas shopping and ironically, we both ended up getting each other a bracelet and just a few starter pieces. I think I spent less than $60 for a toggle bracelet, two stopper end pieces, 2 stones in the sea blue family and 2 in the green family, and 1 dangle charm. Check out the cute little "2 peas in a Pod" dangle - that's the one I got her representing her marriage. Of course they are not real gold or silver, but they are fun. I wear mine 2-3 times a week and it is holding up well.

These would be fun gifts for tweens and teens who don't take care of expensive jewelry, or just anyone who likes cute, cheap jewelry (me).

Here is a link that might be useful: DiVinci Charm Collection @ Hallmark

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

I know I am very late to the party, but I ordered a trollbead starter set this week, because I like the look of troll and because pandora beads will fit it too, but not the other way around.

Anyway, I was looking around and came across red bali frog charms. They have the cutest and most unusual charms!

I think I'm becoming an addict already, and I haven't even gotten my bracelet yet!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy, I'm an addict and I've only had my bracelet a few days!

I should have researched more before I ordered. I thought I ordered a dogwood flower dangle charm, but it was a clip. But I didn't order another clip. (you need 2 to start the bracelet.) Clips are important. lol.

So yesterday I ordered the Queen Bee charm, and a little birdhouse charm with a bird on the outside, along with another clip.

I like the DiVinci charms. Do they fit Pandora? What I'm going to do is begin with all Pandora, then start adding charms from other brands.

I want it mostly to be two-tone (gold and silver).

Amj, when the "clip" I ordered which I thought was a charm came in, I was SO angry because it wouldn't fit my bracelet! I even tried calling the place and they were closed! So I went back to the website and only then did I notice I ordered a clip. LOL. But I'm glad I did.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Cyn, I love your bracelets. I can tell we grew up in the same place at about the same time. All the little girls had charm bracelets. Now I better go find mine!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I thought the same thing when I read your post, ded. I am planning to make a short trip up there this summer. I will let you know if I do. Lunch or HH at the Guardhouse?

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

I would love to get a charm bracelet for my daughter I can add charms to. Is there one that is child sized that is gold based. She gets contact allergies from other metals.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just found out the Mall I go to has a Pandora store but I've never walked by it!

I ordered some beads from Nordstroms this time and they were kind enough to send a full catalog with the order.

Now I think the snob in me is coming out. lol There's a large part of me that wants to order a different brand charm, but then it won't be as "nice" without all Pandora on it and the other charms will void the Pandora warranty, which I don't want to happen.

I have noticed there are a lot of knockoffs of Pandora charms but they don't compare in quality or weight as the real deal. But they're still cute.

I might start a second bracelet from another brand.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH