Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

Need ideas for easy, cold appetizers

joaniepoanie
9 years ago

I am bringing appetizers for a crowd of 50 for DS's surprise b'day party this weekend. I am making a Southwestern dip he likes with tortilla chips and probably pita chips and hummus for other DS who is vegan. I need some more ideas for easy things that don't require cooking and can be prepated ahead. May also get pre-made vegetable platter from store (boring I know). Have looked on internet but nothing is jumping out at me. And how many different kinds should I bring? I know everyone here will give me some great options...TIA!

Comments (15)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

I love Knorr Spinach dip, it is one of my favorites!

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

You've got the hummus and pita wedges covered

Cheese cubes, another easy one.

Fresh fruit platter

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Coyote Caviar (black bean dip)
    1 can black beans, rinsed well and drained
    4 oz can of chopped black olives, drained
    1 small onion, chopped
    4 oz can diced green chilies
    1 garlic clove, minced
    4 TB chopped cilantro
    2 TB veg oil
    2 TB lime juice
    2 TSP chili powder
    1/4 TSP salt
    1/4 TSP crushed red pepper flakes
    1/4 TSP cumin
    1 TSP black pepper

Mix all ingredients.
    Spread room temp cream cheese on a plate, cover with black beam mixture. Serve with tortilla chips.
    The original recipe called for a ring of salsa on top of the black beans but I never bother with that any more. The cream cheese is nice but it's also optional, just the black bean mixture alone is good on tortilla chips.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Tomato ,mozzarella and fresh basil platter (balsamic and oil to drizzle)
    Asparagus wrapped in prosciutto
    Crisp flatbread, smear of cream cheese topped with smoked salmon, capers and fresh dill
    Deviled eggs ( they're not just for Easter!)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

You can put pretty much anything on skewers. Check out some that are shown on Pinterest. You don't have join to look at them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest Appetizers on a Stick

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

We must all think alike. Love the coyote caviar (or we use black-eyed peas sometimes). And the deviled eggs, asparagus in prosciutto, and tomato/mozzarella/basil platter. Making me hungry!

I also love bruschetta - crispy thin bread with bruschetta (you can buy good pre-made stuff in a jar at Costco or Sam's) and sprinkle grated parmesan on top.

• gardenper
    9 years ago

I like the deviled eggs idea also. You can also try crackers and cheese (easy to make yourself instead of buying from a deli section or shop).

A fruit salad idea with some easy fruits is also good. Eg I usually use a mix of watermelon, canteloupe and/or honeydew, strawberry, grapes, pineapple, etc

If you want to try something that you probably haven't made yet, maybe you could try spring rolls (the kind that is not fried but just made fresh with veggies.. I guess another common description would be like the Vietnamese spring rolls)

Here is a link that might be useful: Vietnamese spring rolls

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Don't know if you want to bother with 50 of them, but I just made one of my faves for a dinner party. Take a dried apricot, put a spot of mascarpone cheese on it and then a pecan half on top. They are so easy, look so fancy and taste so yummy.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

One of the easiest cold appetizers I serve is skewered shrimp and tortellini. I buy the big bags of cooked shrimp at Costco's or Trader Joe's. Then buy a bag (or two) of multi-colored tortellini.Thaw shrimp. Marinate both in Italian salad dressing, then skewer on frilly skewers. Serve on a bed of arugula or other dark greens. Garnish with lemon wedges and watch them disappear! I got this recipe from my MIL many years ago. It's so easy and a bit different than shrimp cocktail.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

More fun than your basic veggie tray and could be pretty easy to make. If you use a dressing made from non-dairy things-such as maybe silken tofu in place of sour cream or mayo-it could even be enjoyed by your vegan DS.

When my DS was experimenting with veganism, he was frustrated at events, because he'd be stuck pretty much with salsa and carrot sticks!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

bonnieann, do you cook the tortellini?

• deegw
    9 years ago

Chocolate covered strawberries!

I use Bakers dipping chocolate which you heat right in the package. I dip the strawberries and stick them right in a paper candy cup. The candy cup is just a small cupcake paper and easy to find in the grocery store. So simple and no mess.

The hardest part is waiting for the strawberries to dry thoroughly. I usually buy extra strawberries so i can pick and choose for size uniformity. I made the tray in the picture link in just a few minutes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy chocolate strawberries

This post was edited by deee on Wed, May 21, 14 at 7:37

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

here is any easy one
    Take a cherry or grape tomatoe
    Make a slit down the middle, put a small piece of feta cheese into slit.
    drizzle with olive oil
    I find it easier to dip my cheese in oil and then put it in slit.

• legomom23
    9 years ago

Another easy one is a Greek layer dip. Spread hummus on bottom of serving pan, top with chopped tomatoes, olives, green peppers, cucumbers and red onions, and top with feta. Basically whatever you like on your Greek salad. Great with pita chips to dip.
    If you have some, I usually sprinkle some Penzey's Greek seasoning on the hummus since it's like a salad without dressing. I like to add a little more flavor. You can also use different flavors of hummus.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Yes, cook the tortellini according to directions. I buy frozen.