Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

Diet-wise, this is what I strive for . . .

tinam61
9 years ago

But it's a hard, hard battle and sugar is my enemy! HA! Sadly someone gave me a reese's easter egg this morning and I ate it. Yes, I did. But, like this blogger, I do indulge myself occasionally. It's a battle to not let that get out of hand, and I so easily could with sweets. I'm not gluten or dairy free either. I concentrate on whole foods, lean protein, veggies and fruits for the most part, but I don't seem to have a problem with gluten or dairy, so it is part of my diet.

Anyhoo, I just thought this was a good article and decided to share it with others of you here who try to live a healthy lifestyle.

tina

Here is a link that might be useful: paleo

Comments (7)

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

I am totally on board with what she wrote. I *mostly* do those things, too - or at least TRY to mostly do those things ;-) The most difficult part for me is with the more ethical meat eating because we just don't have many options and those we do have are outrageously expensive. I eat a lot of protein because I simply feel better when I do. And my husband eats a lot of protein because his job is very physical, he is the type in constant motion from wake-up to bed-time and his body needs protein for fuel. It's always a balancing act between financial reality and how I would like to live more lightly in this world. Wish it weren't so but that's the way it is for now.

From link above "A nutrio is a person who eats nutrient dense food - who mostly steers clear of processed, packaged food in favor of fresh food that is perishable - who cares very much about the way an animal was raised and the way produce was grown - who believes food is the body's best medicine but also that it isn't just about feeding our bodies, it's about feeding our souls - who believes that we have taste buds for a reason - who believes that food is meant to be celebrated and to celebrate with - who believes that life is too short to live and die by a list of can eats and can't eats. "

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

I like what she wrote, but she seems to stick to her guns
    99% of the time, which is more than most people do.

sugar is so addictive !!

Tina , I ate a roll of Rollos candy yesterday, one after the other, I bought it, sat on a bench and proceeded to inhale them. I hate how I feel afterwards, but it seemed like no one could have stopped me at that point.

• golddust
    9 years ago

Carbs is my weakness. Two pounds of any candy would go bad here but potato chips don't stand a chance. Sunflower Seeds. Salt. Hello. My name is Golddust...

• blfenton
    9 years ago

90% of the time. I strive to be good 90% of the time. Anything else and you set yourself up for failure and disappointment in yourself and that is someplace you never want to be in.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I am following a WFPB way of eating, but what she is saying is true and many are writing about it now.

If you followed McDougall golddust carbs would be your friend. But only if you made the potato chips yourself! :)

I think everyone has to find what works best for them, makes them feel good, and is something that they can stick to and get healthy. Otherwise none of it matters.

Below is a similar post from the happy Herbivore blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: progress not perfection and elitism

• luckygal
    9 years ago

I try to eat very healthy with organic foods, high in vegetables, low in meat, and NO sugar.

However, I do like to eat out so making healthy choices can be problematic. Also there are so many tempting tasty things out there! I've resisted eating the Easter chocolate I was given (must give it away soon) but recently ate the mostly organic chocolate muffin I bought at the health food store which had brown sugar in it. My problem with eating such things is that I then crave more sweets so followed the muffin with a few pieces of dark chocolate!

I used to eat a lot of sugar, in fact said that every tooth in my head was a 'sweet-tooth'. However I now rarely have any and don't miss it. I use stevia as a sweetener which is a healthy alternative and a cup of sweet tea makes the world seem much nicer! LOL

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

boo, that was a great read and very realistic, we all aim to eat better and our progress will vary, it was inspiring to read it.