Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are your ears pierced? And when did you do it?

Posted by nancybee_2010 (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 11:28

I had mine done when I was sixteen. My parents made me go to a doctor to do it. And I had lots of fun wearing different styles. But for years now, I've worn the same earrings all the time- gold hoops.

How about you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are your ears pierced? And when did you do it?

Oh yes, they sure are and it was a really big deal when we did it too. Ear piercing got really popular when we were kids and we weren't allowed to get ours done until our 13th birthday. My mother worked at a high end jewelry store and so we got them done there. She'd buy us a set of the gold ball earrings with solid gold studs for our birthdays and then take us there to get it done. We wanted them really bad so of course she made a really big deal out of it, they did both ears at the same time and I can still remember the crunching sound!

I wore earrings for a really long time and still do occasionally when we go out, but they tend to bug me so I don't wear them all the time.

o

I think I was in high school, and I got them done by some random person at a Claire's in the mall. I was never girly, so never really thought to get them done any earlier than that.

o

I did my own, in the bedroom of a girl friend, one afternoon after school. I was 14, and where I lived, (Lake Placid, NY), there were no malls or places to get ear piercing done. I used a sterile needle and ice to numb the ear lobe. It was a big deal, my friend and I each did ours, and told our folks after the deed was done. Lukkiirish, I remember that crunching sound, too - it really freaked me out when I did the first ear!

o

It was the seventies, I was fourteen, and our family doctor did it with a big needle. I remember the crunching sound too! My best friend's mom did my second ones when I was about 17, but I let them grow closed when I was about 24. You can still see the scars, though.

My mom didn't have her ears pierced until she was in her sixties, and I had to hold her hand. It was so cute!

o

I was either 12 or 13 when I had mine done - at a Claire's in the mall. In college, I had one of my ears double pierced by a friend using a potato and needle (and I'm sure I had a few drinks beforehand to dull the pain!). I only kept that double piercing for a few years and then took it out - I always just kept a small stud earring in it. It's been at least 20 years since I took it out and every once in a while, when I put an earring in that ear, I miss the hole and get it nearly all the way through the other hole - it never completely closed up! You can't see it, but obviously it's there since I've accidentally nearly put an earring all the way through.

My rule for my daughters was age 12 - the age at which I think they can adequately take care of them (cleaning, etc) as well as responsible enough not to lose earrings. However, I ended up letting my older daughter do it early when she turned 11. There was nothing she wanted at all for her birthday except that and I felt she was old enough to handle it. Dh was annoyed I changed my "rule" but it wasn't a big deal after all. When my younger dd gets older, I'll consider letting her do it earlier but she still has several more years to go.

Texanjana, my mom go her ears pierced when she was 45. She never ever had a desire before that but she loves earrings now. I typically wear the same ones all the time but will change them if I'm getting dressed up. My mom has a ton of earrings, well more than I do, and matches them to her outfit every day. It's funny to think she never bothered to do it earlier!

o

I did mine in Jr. High, and in this day and age, I could have caught a bad disease!

The first time a friend's mother did it. The old fashioined way...needle and thread. OUCH. I was supposed to keep moving the thread so the hole wouldn't close. I did but the ear got infected.

I let it grow back, and then a girl brought self-piercing earrings to school, and all of us passed them around after they pierced our ears. They worked great! Then we put gold hoops in our ears to prevent infection.

But can you imagine the diseases we could have spread around? A true act of stupidity!

Nancy, I wore very delicate gold hoops for 20 years.

o

I never wanted pierced ears...ever. But when I was 42 I reunited with my son placed for adoption. For my first birthday after our reunion, he bought me a gift certificate for piercing and some birthstone studs. Well, he was 21 and I just didn't have the heart to hurt his feelings by not using it. So I did it and I'm fine with it...never would have done it otherwise, tho.

o

It was a big deal when I had it done too, I was around twelve or so and had the prerequisite gold ball studs initially. I was always big into earrings and still am.
I don't remember where I had it done though, probably at the mall. This is was the seventies.
But, over time I stretched out the holes and in my twenties, one ripped open. I was very allergic to nickel and the constant scratching made them stretch too. I still wore cheap earrings then, I didn't know better!
There was no blood. The hole had stretched and healed so the final rip was nothing. I had to have a plastic surgeon repair it. Since then, I am very careful to not wear heavy earrings and I always wear sterling or gold.
Usually artistic looking styles like what would be in Sundance catalogs.

o

I am a scarridity cat - I waited until I was about my early 50's, I think. Actually, my husband had heard me tell someone I really wanted to have it done and he bought me diamond studs for Christmas one year. My son and DH took me to the mall and I had both ears done at the same time, literally ine girl did one ear and another did the other ear at the same moment. It really hurt! I'd never do it again so I make sure to not let them close up and I wear earrings all the time.

o

My mother made the rule that we had to be 13 because my oldest sister asked when she was 12 and, by forcing a delay, my Mum thought my sister would lose interest.

My Mum called us Gypsies and was horrified that we all had our ears pierced when we hit 13. She refused to pay for it so we had to use our babysitting money. I did it at a nice jewelry store. I was fine when they did it but almost passed out when I went outside and thought about what I had done (I'm a bit of wimp, if that isn't obvious).

When my Mum was about 65 she decided to get her ears pierced. We were SHOCKED but enjoyed telling her she looked like a gypsy. I think it was after a cancer diagnosis and being tattooed for the radiation (they need to have markers to line up the beam), she decided to be a real wild woman and pierce her ears. She wasn't able to put her earrings in or take them out herself. She always had to ask one of us to help her. After a few short years, she let the holes close up.

o

I was never too keen on having holes in my ears, so passed on it. I told my daughter that she would have to wait until she left home to ever have them done. It was always a battle to have her take care of anything properly. Well, my mom went behind my back and took her to Claire's (or some other place at the mall). Long story short, one of the earring heads got embedded in her ear. Freaked me out! Had to take her to the doctor and he got it removed and said the store did a bad job with the piercing. Two other doctors refused to even see her, as they didn't want to deal with that kind of problem.

o

Mine were done when I was a baby, probably a few days old. No memory of the event! Have never had a problem with them and they do not close up if I don't wear earings for a while. When double piercings came into fashion I had no interested in adding any more.

o

I was 5 or 6, and was only permitted to wear tiny studs, 14k gold or pearls, for many years. Of course from day 1, I wanted to wear "dangly" earrings! I felt so deprived! I lived in earring prison...hated those studs!

Now I have LOTS of earrings and LOTS of them are dangly! Currently have one pair of studs...white gold knots with little diamonds. Nice, but I seldom wear them.

o

Wow, I'm so racy. I got mine done in 2nd grade, at the doctor's office. I had them double pierced much later, I think in college. Maybe 7-8 years ago I tried to get one more hole in one ear, but it got infected and I had to let it close up. That happened twice, then I gave up.

DD started asking to get hers pierced when she was 3. I told her she had to wait til she was 5....but I ended up letting her do it the summer when she was about 4-1/2. She barely even blinked when she got them done (in a hair salon). She is 11 now and has aways been very responsible about taking care of herself (I mean, like cleaning her ears when they were first pierced -- even at that young age) and her earrings. Now she wants them double pierced! I told her one hole per lobe is enough for now.

One of my DS also has a pierced ear. He asked for years. I finally let him do it for his 13th birthday, at Claire's. It's probably the one day in his life when he thought I was a cool mom. A couple of years later, he went through a long hair phase, which I hated. Some boys look OK with long hair, he did not! So when he finally got it cut short (when we were on vacation in Wyoming!) I was so happy, I let him get his ear pierced a second time. Now he's 20, still has them, but I don't think he's changed his earrings in about 2 years!

I wear different earrings every day. I just got my hair cut short this morning, so I'll be paying extra attention to my earrings for a while!

o

Got my ears pierced when I was about 8. They became infected. I let them close up and had my cousin, a nurse, repierce them. They became infected again. Let them close up. Then I repierced them my self 2 more times with needles and ice (I wanted them pierced BAD!). Finally figured out that I had a metal allergy. Once I found earrings I could wear, no more problems. In fact, I got a 2nd set of holes pierced. When I was in college, the thing to do was to split getting ears pierced with good friend. I got a third hole with one friend and a 4th - up high at the top of my ear with another friend, both on one side only. I love wearing earrings that dangle and are small and sparkly or colorful. I wear a diamond stud in my very top hole but nothing in my 2nd and 3rd holes. I am sorry that I got those done and wish I hadn't, but I did, and it's overwith. They never closed up all the way.
I let my daughter get hers pierced when she was 8. She is very responsible and had begged for a year. She can wear any type of earring. I WILL NOT allow her to get any more holes though. She will have to be grown and gone if she wants to do that.
My sweet Mom had always worn clip earrings. She wanted her ears pierce but was very afraid. (This blew my mind because she's had 5 Kids!!) We went to the mall and the nice people at Claires pierced her ears - 2 of them at the same time at the age of 70! I was so happy to get to share that experience with her! She was so cute!
I used to want my belly button pierced but my tummy was always too flabby for me to do that and want to show anybody. Probably a good thing. I would have been sorry about that too.

o

Mine are pierced and I was probably somewhere around 12 when I had them done. I've never had any interest in double or more piercings. I always wear a dangle type earring - and always wire. I hate posts, although I do have diamond studs - my 16th birthday gift from my parents.

tina

o

I did my own when I was 15. Ice, needle, thread...alcohol to sterilize the needle.

The following summer, I pierced the ears of about 40 girls my age and older counselors while spending the summer at camp (1967) I did clean the needle between piercings.

No one got infected. And no one complained about uneven piercings. Crazy.

o

I'm finding it funny/interesting that so many of us had moms who pierced their ears later in life! I don't know why my mom waited - she was a nurse and had no phobia of needles. I think maybe it was b/c she had accumulated a large assortment of clip on earrings and didn't want to have to start all over with pierced earrings. I don't know what ever happened to the clip ons but she has a ton of pierced earrings now. She doesn't indulge much in herself, but that seems to be her one weakness.

o

I used the self-piercers back in the late sixties. One went through; the other one didn't - OUCH! I remember finally pushing the self piercer through - it was so painful. And to think, I went through all that because I was afraid of a needle! I LOVE hoops - large enough to show with medium short hair, but not too large. I feel "nekked" without them. I look GAWDY in danglies because I have a real short neck, but I did find one small dangly that I love - it is a cubic zircona that looks like a real diamond. Everyone thinks it is real.

I know this is a bit controversial, but I highly encourage ear piercing when girls are around six months old. Seems they NEVER get infected then. Again, I'm sure some won't agree with me, but all the females I know have piereced ears and they have all agreed they wish they had them done when they were babies.

o

This reminded me of something! When my DD was 16 she thought she was in love with this boy who worked at the jewelry counter at Walmart. She ended up with 2 or 3 extra holes in her ears just to get him to do the piercings. Oh! Young Love! She laughs about it nwo.

o

But Tuesday, what if your sweet baby had a metal allergy? I think allergies to nickle are pretty common but not detected until childhood because a baby wouldn't be exposed to metal. To this day, the metal on the back of my jeans causes my belly to break out in a rash.
Also, I wanted it to be my daughter's choice. My neice never pierced her ears. She didn't want them pierced and she is in her 30's. I wouldn't want to do something to my child and then find out later they never wanted it done. But that's MHO.
Also, I love big hoop earrings but am always getting them caught on my hair, or when I comb my hair I hurt myself. I don't wear them very often. I also don't wear post earrings, only in my top hole because I have a fat earlobe and it seems to make it look worse.

o

Geez, I don't even remember how old I was - 13, 15? Something like that. Early 70s. Then my Senior year of HS, we were at a bowl game for parade and half time. I had a second set of holes put in with by numbing with ice, then a needle. No alcoholic beverages were involved. lol Woke up the next morning to THE MOST infected earlobes! Had to march and twirl my rifle while my ears throbbed. One of THE most STUPID things I've ever done - and I haven't done very many stupid things in my lifetime. lol

My mom didn't notice for a few months (never went to Dr, just used rubbing alcohol when I got home). She had a cow.

Use to wear studs in the seconds set and small hoops in the first set. I've only worn single pair for the past 20 years. Simple diamond studs DH gave me for an anniversary.

I still remember the crunching sound from the gun used for the first set of holes. *shudder*

o

My mother absolutely would not allow me to get my ears pierced. Like Hhireno's mother, she said only Gypsies had their ears pierced. That was kind of strange because her own mother had pierced ears and she was not a Gypsy. My mother never did get hers pierced.

I finally went to the department store back in the early 70's and had them pierced when I was 25. My son was an infant and I was holding him in my lap. I also remember the crunch! Then I couldn't wait to see the hole so I took one out and put it back real fast. Infection, of course. I let it close and then my son's pediatrician repierced it for me. To this day the holes are on slightly different angles.

I'm glad I never wore heavy earrings so the holes have not stretched over the years.

o

Never.

Used to wear vintage clips -- but not any more.

o

Teacats, is there a reason you haven't had your ears pierced? I ask this sincerely, I have only known one person who didn't and she did so for religious reasons. (which I respect if disagree with)

o

I'm not Teacats but said in a previous post that I never had mine done. Not religious reasons, either. Just didn't want holes in my ears.

o

I wonder if anyone here has anything else pierced? I'm not a fan of piercings anywhere else but sometimes a little jewel on the nostril is kind of pretty!

Speaking of the holes stretching, have you seen those ear things where something is put in the hole and it gradually enlarges it (the hole)!?

o

My mother was against pieced ears. I wasn't allowed to get them done but I was 14 so I did it anyway. My best friend and I did each others, ice, needle and I somehow think it was dental floss. I remember the pain of freezing, the crunching of the needle going thru the frozen ears and the sting of alcohol. One of my better choices of going against my parents wishes. And my mom finally did get hers done in her late 40's.

o

Joanie you have a good point about the allergies and I appreciate your thoughts. My GD is the child that had her ears pierced at 6 months and she LOVES earrings. She is ten and probably owns 100 pairs - they just seem to be her "trademark". They did use hypoallergenic earrings and her ears didn't even turn red. I guess they got lucky. I just know so many little girls want it done and during the rough and tumble stage (sports, etc) they seem to keep sore ears. I think the decision was just that every gal in our circle of family and friends love pierced ears.

My DD had her ears pierced at about 7 or 8 and they didn't heal well - she says when she has a daughter it will be done early.

Posts and studs make my ears sore, but I never have problems with hoops, but I only wear 14c gold, white gold, and sterling - light weight. I have slept in my small gold earrings for up to 6 months at a time. They lay snug to my neck.

o

I love these stories! I used self-piercers and got one through in a couple of days (no "crunch" just a headache). I tried to just "gut" through the second one but it hurt so much I had to ask my mother to do it while I shut my eyes and gritted my teeth. In retrospect, it was a wonder my mother readily agreed to help. She HATED needles, going to the dr or dentist, and almost got sick herself if she had to visit someone in the hospital. But she seemed really happy to help.

I got a second piercing in my right ear after I was divorced. I had the diamond from my engagement ring made into a stud for that one.

I wear all types of earrings and have the worst luck with losing them - or rather losing one of a pair. A couple of weeks ago I lost the "dangle" part from one earwire. Never knew it until I took them off at the end of the day.

o

My ears aren't pierced either, and I wear clip-ons all the time. My mom and three dtrs all have pierced ears. When I was in high school my three best friends pierced each other's ears with needles, ice, and potatoes at a sleepover at my house. When it was my turn I just couldn't do it. They're just not for me. I'm 64.

o

Never thought about the holes "stretching!" Have had no problems, but I do detest heavy earrings, and won't wear them. Fortunately, there are plenty of earrings that feel light and comfy these days. My current favorites are oval, braided, sterling silver hoops. They look very substantial, but I forget I have them on!

o

Another one here without pierced ears. For me, I'm cheap so would never have earrings to put in them and except for a watch and my wedding rings I don;t wear jewelry. I'd prefer not to wear my rings but DH would get mad if I didn't.

o

I certainly didn't mean any offense about not piercing, I don't care, I was just curious. I am equally curious why someone would pierce their lip. It looks uncomfortable.

o

Just tonight I saw a young girl with her nose pierced, not on the side but the little area between the nostrils. All you could see was a little dark thing hanging out of her nose, it looked like she desperately needed a tissue to wipe her nose.

The waitress had a pierced tongue, just thinking about that causes me pain! She spent a lot of time making these rather odd gestures with her mouth and tongue. Maybe it's still a rather new piercing and she's adjusting to the feeling of something there?

To each, their own. If they're happy then good for them. It not something an old fuddy-duddy like me could do. I barely survived one hole in each ear lobe. Reading some of these stories about potatoes and self piercing makes me woozy.

o

Ear, done by a girl I had a crush on in 1987, with a big suture needle. Went with the modified mohawk, and shoe polish black buzz cut. Wore something for about 10 years.

Body: went to a professional body piercer. My body rejected the piercing after a couple of years. Not interested in doing it again, although if I were younger I would probably have half sleeve tattoos. Probably good that I feel too old now.

Tongue: during an emergency when I had an obstructed airway. Not for cosmetic purposes. Not good for your tongue or your teeth.

I actually like small labrets but they are not very good for your lower front teeth.

My mom had hers done in her 40s and wore the same diamond studs for the rest of her life and only took them out to clean them or for general anesthesia. My niece had hers done in infancy, where they lived it was common.

o

Oh gosh, Bumblebeez - absolutely no offense taken! I wanted to respond to the OP's question so I'm glad someone opened the door so that I could.

o

Well - I do hate needles. I weep when I have to get anything done with a needle.

And frankly -- my face suited the old vintage clip ones far better ....

o

I was around 9 I think. We went to a department store and the gal at the make up counter pierced my ears. She pinched the lobes hard, then pushed a pointed stud into each ear lobe. It didn't really hurt, but I do remember a woman who was watching and her eyes got so big I was afraid they'd pop out!

My mom pierced our neighbors ears using an ice cube and a needle. My Dad wouldn't let her do that to me, so that is why she took me to the department store.

When I was 16, I cut school and went to the mall where I forged my mom's signature on a consent form and got my ears double pierced. They used the gun and it hurt so bad, I ended up taking them out shortly afterward. I'm sure it's because I was bad!

Later I tried to get them double pierced again, but it turns out that I have such tiny ears with very little lobe, to double pierce would have to be in cartiledge (that's why it hurt when I had it done at 16). Otherwise the holes would be too close to be able to wear 2 earrings at once.

I love earrings, never wear studs, only big dangly ones. I've always loved BIG ones.

My eldest DD has her ears pierced multiple times, and the one that goes thru the little piece of cartiledge at the center front of the ear...yeeps, so painful! She said that hurt a lot, but her other high up on the ear piercings didn't hurt too bad. I'm happy with my single holes that I've had forever.

o

My father pierced mine when I was 13. (Ice, Novocain, and a good sized needle) He also pierced my mother's after they were married. They were married in 1963, but I'm not sure when he did hers. My paternal grandmother never had hers pierced, and my maternal grandmother had hers done sometime in the 1980s. She was in her 70s.

I started out with plain gold ball studs. Over the years I've worn a variety of styles, but now I stick with plain diamond studs set in platinum.

o

I never got my ears pierced and there's no specific reason behind my decision. My mother has pierced ears and some very pretty earrings. Maybe someday, if I inherit her earrings, I'll get my ears pierced.

o

I pierced my own when I was 12. My parents had gone to church and I got out the ice, needle and was smart enough to boil it. Then I went in the bathroom to look in the mirror, well I got the needle half way through and had to find a thimble to push it the rest of the way, sat on the toilet to recover from the first one when I heard my parents coming back. Boy did I ever do the second one fast lol and then arranged my hair so they couldn't see them. It was about 6 months later that my Mom saw a glint of gold through the cover up piece of hair and she was horrified but let me keep them. The upshot: within a year I pierced her ears, my aunts, girlfriends etc. I had a regular clientele hahaha

o

Oh what you Women go through!!!...;-)

Our DD, now 21, had-'em done when she was 14 I think??
DW went with her to the mall.

Me?! NO WAY IN HELL.
Men with earrings turn my stomach.
A farmer in the 60's & 70's with an earring would've been drawn-&-Quartered in my area! "Sissy" was the word then!

Piercing BABIES ears?!??!
Dear God...never understood how people can do that....
It was revolting to both DW & I!!

Faron

o

I think I was 7 or 8 the first time, I don't really remember it but later we bought some cheap earrings at a flea market and my ears got infected so we just let them heal. A few years later they were re-done but I also do not even remember the particulars. I just remember I was not allowed to wear the dangling ones until I was a bit older.

I was going to make my daughter weight until she was at least 13 but she was diagnosed with diabetes at almost 9 years old and I figured since she was pretty responsible with check her blood sugars and taking shots, pierced ears were small potatoes so we let her use some of her birthday money to go to the mall and get them done but I still veto any earrings that I feel are too mature for her.

o

Photobucket

o

I was 16. Got the earrings for my birthday from my mother and my father was totally opposed. Back then, few people we knew had pierced ears. We girls were just getting into having them. My doctor pierced my ears. My mother finally had hers done when she was in her 50s.

Pal, I was in 6th grade when Cleopatra came out. My mother said there was no way I was allowed to see it-she was quite appalled by Elizabeth Taylor's behavior and refused to give money to anything with which she was connected. She said I could watch the Claudette Colbert version. :)

o

No piercings here. I've always thought putting holes in one's body to be a bit odd. At one time I would have said barbaric but I'm over that. Lol

o

I was six when I had mine done at the mall. I was so excited, when we came home I immediately ran over to the neighbors house where my brother was playing with his friend. I showed him and he said they looked stupid. That made me cry and as I turned to walk away, the neighbors dog, a big white Husky, jumped on me and proceeded to hump. That made my brother and his friend laugh. I was hysterical and the mom had to carry me home. I cried all night long.

Then a few years later, my sister got pierced ears. She was crazed about keeping them clean and turned them all the time so they wouldn't stick. When it was time to take them out, a little blood appeared and she passed out, hitting the bridge of her nose on the bathroom vanity. She had to get stitches. My poor Mom!!

When I was a teenager, I had the double pierced ears but I haven't put earrings in the top holes in years.

DH had both ears pierced when I met him. He would wear his long hair in a half ponytail. I thought he was so hot!! He doesn't wear earrings anymore and he sports a crew cut these days but he's still hot!

o

My ears are pierced 10 times (6 in one & 4 in the other). I believe I was around 6 the first time. I was 12 the second time and used a needle and ice. A few of the holes I don't remember what ages. I'd say I was around 17 when I had one done in the cartilage on the upper left ear and when I was about 20, I had another put above that and used a small stainless steel spiral earring there to connect those two (think spiral notebook binder). I only normally wore hoops (not huge) in the front and the rest were small studs. I just recently took all of them out except the first two holes in each ear. I guess I was just tired of them.

I had my belly button done when I was 18 and it surfaced rejected. So like a dummy I took out the hoop, left it alone for a few months, and had it redone. A few years later I started having pain near at my bb that became more constant so I finally took it out and the pain went away. I now have four ugly holes and wish I would've never EVER done that.

I had my tongue pierced at 20. A few years later it started to feel funny at times and became frequent so I took it out and the weird feeling went away.

I tinkered with the idea of piercing my eyebrow but I'm very glad I never went through with it. At least the empty earring holes aren't noticeable.

o

Anybody have their ears Stretched? Wear plugs? This is more common in my area, but it is a multistep surgical procedure to repair stretched earlobes:

strechedearlobe

o

That's called gauged here. Those don't bother me when they are small, but I don't get why someone would want gigantic holes. But as long as someone doesn't pin me down to do my lobes, who care?! ;D

fyi, my mom's ears were pierced and her lobes were stretched - which I've never understood because she never wore heavy earrings. When she had a face lift, they shortened her lobes, so her ears are no longer pierced. Didn't matter, since she had become allergic to metal and couldn't wear earrings anyway.

I know this is still a free country (knock on wood), but I don't get why some feel the need to post such a negative comment. Faron, do you not realize you insulted several groups of people in your post? If so, do you not care?

I like the "move on along" approach instead of insult after insult.

Pal, you are too funny.

o

Exactly Allison.

"turn my stomach . . . Sissy . . .revolting."

Totally inappropriate and very insulting comments in an otherwise fun and lighthearted thread.

o

I got my ears pierced by a jeweler friend at age 28. Couldn't afford earrings prior. LOL. DH has one ear pierced. I only have one hole per ear and it has been so long since I have worn earrings, I'm not sure if my holescarevstill open. I only own one pair of earrings. Fresh water pearls with a gold bezel. A gift from a friend when DH and I went through IVF.

o

Faron, if piercing is so revolting for a baby, why is it any less revolting for a 14 year old? Really! Did you read any of the other replies?

In some parts of the world newborn girls get their ears pierced and in other parts of the world a large percent of newborn boys are circumsized ...

o

I was 12 when I had mine pierced, by my sister with needle and ice. All 6 of my DD's had them pierce as infants anywhere from 3 months to 9 months old. It's a tradition in our Italian family. Pediatrician did theirs.

o

I think we all know that Faron is light hearted and never tries to offend, lets try not to get defensive in a really fun thread.

o

Ditto what Lukki said. Many years ago, my community was a logging town. Then the 60s and 70s happened. Many San Francisco hippies moved in and at first tree were clashes between the loggers an the hippies. Loggers would literally try to burn out the hippies by setting fire to thir homes!!!

Times have changed. We are a diverse community who stands beside one another. It's isn't uncommon to see an old time 'red neck' having coffee at the local coffee shop with a person sporting dreadlocks, clearly enjoying each others company.

I do know what Faron means about what someone would have done with a man wearing an earring like my DH wears. It's too bad his area is too cold to attract diversity. I know many local farmers who have turned to organic farming thanks to the hippie invasion and an open mind.

When I met DH, he had hair own to his waist. Thick, wavy, sexy and he was beautiful. Earring and all. More important is his beautiful soul and how he treats the people in his life. After 29 yrs of marriage., I respect him and am proud to be his wife.

I think Faron is a push over. If he can look at high dollar heels and melt, he can tolerate more than he thinks he can. Meanwhile, let him have his opinion. We certainly have ours.

o

Insert (middle aged, slightly overweight soccer moms ) with earrings (turn my stomach) and see why its not so potentially light hearted.

I don't feel this way of course, which is in contrast to actually having that feeling, I am just pointing this out.

o

My mom didn't approve, but when I was 16 (back in the 70s) I had my ears pierced at a Piercing Pagoda at the local mall. I felt like such a rebel ;) When I lived in London in the mid-80s, I got a second piercing in one ear.

I don't personally find other piercings attractive except for a tiny diamond in the side of the nose. To me, that can be very pretty, depending on the person's style.

I wear earrings on and off, but notice that one ear keeps getting irritated regardless of the earrings. It's annoying because I never used to have a problem.

o

Lukkiirsh, that's still not an excuse for being rude. I'm not being defensive, just pointing out the obvious. Others seem to agree. One can be lighthearted without being rude and/or offensive.

My uncle (now a retired Navy Captain) married a woman from Guatemala and their children were born/raised all over the world. The girls had their ears pierced as infants. It's common in European cultures, and others. I didn't pierce my two girl's ears when they were infants for fear they would rip them out, or get ripped out by another child while playing.

o

I just think sometimes we are a little over sensitive and it ruins the thread for everyone else. We're all supposed to be friends here and you know Faron as well as anyone. He's just not like that so shake it off as a poor choice of words and move on.

o

So Faron gets to be totally rude an inappropriate and we have to just step back and say, "Oh, that's just how he is?" Then he gets called on it and we are the one's who get our hands slapped?

Nope, that doesn't fly with me, sorry. It ain't about defensiveness or sensitivities. It's about not being rude and inappropriate in the first place. Geez. . .

o

Kellyeng and others bothered by my post...

My sincere apologies if some took offense! I didn't realize my OPINION would hit that many nerves!
That's how the prevailing thought was for most of the area where I grew up:
* You opened the doors for Women...
* Didn't swear so anyone would hear you...
* Don't disrespect a Woman...
* Don't drink too much, get drunk, and embarrass yourself or family...
* Earrings were for WOMEN. Right or wrong, that's just the way it was.
* It's just MY PRIVATE view, and one stance I won't stray from.

Circumcision??!?!
YIKES! Never thought I'd hear that here!!
Right-or-no...it was done so "guys would look the same in the locker-room", and "for personal hygiene" was the prevailing thought for so long...

I DO see the point about doing "a procedure" when one is very young though!
In a way though....these are two very different discussions to me.

For something so EASILY VISIBLE and COSMETIC-ONLY as EARS however...I don't think infants should be put through something like that, even if it's "quick".
It MAY be something they don't want, and should have a choice in a "Vanity only" procedure.

Faron

o

Neither of my sons are circumcised. Locker room be damned. Now 24 and 28, there has been no complaints of bullying or regrets. Curcumcising for personal hygiene? I taught them how to keep themselves clean just like I taught my daughter personal hygiene.

Piercing an ear is nothing compared to curcumsicision.

o

Kelly, no offense intended, but you're often offended. That just doesn't fly that much anymore either, lighten up, we're talking piercings here, in the big scheme of things, it's really a non issue, not a big deal, means NOTHING.

o

Yeah, well, lukkiirish, to some of us blatant homophobia is repugnant and deserves to be called out. Read palimpsest's post and think about the message. Also, golddust, pardon me, but not *all* cold climates produce such narrow minds IMO (speaking, ahem, as a native of Northern New England).

sandyponder

o

Oh Sandy, leave it up to you to seek a hidden agenda. Somethings never change. It's just conversation and I doubt very seriously, opinions about piercings really matter. Go pick a fight somewhere else.

o

"I didn't pierce my two girl's ears when they were infants for fear they would rip them out, or get ripped out by another child while playing."

Yeah, there's difinitely potential for that. My cousin's ears were peirced when she was a baby and she ended up tearing them partially through when she was a little older. As a teen she talked about having that fixed.

As a kid I can remember my earring (and I only wore small studs) getting caught on my comforter at least twice and I had to drag the whole thing to my mom to help me. Thankfully mine never tore.

Of course, there's a chance of tearing at any age I suppose. I think later there's a greater risk of having them stretched from heavy earrings though.

I figured Faron was probably talking about an infants lack of choice in the decision making process.

I do like how peircings look on some men. DH couldn't pull the look off, has no desire to do so, and that's ok with me.

o

potkettle

o
rererre

Crap sorry. *piercings*

o

touche'

o

That could apply to any of us at one time or another, depending on what our particular feelings are about the subject matter--it was a general comment.

Now, see, I interpreted Faron's vehemence to do with personal experience of growing up a sissy or gay or being perceived as a sissy or gay by someone, not that there is much difference between the two when you are growing up.

As for piercing ears in infants, the infant may be less likely to get an infection because they still carry maternal immunity.

o

Faron, you are right. Saying something DEROGATORY about someone on this forum or their loved ones is still just an OPINION.

Lukkiirish, I'M OFFENDED EASILY?? Really? You've had way more skirmishes on this board than I could dream of having. Please.

o

You are and always on the defensive. It doesn't matter if its Faron or anyone else here who said something about the piercings, it's a light topic and no one is out to office. As I said, we're all supposed to be friends here, so get the chip off your shoulder.

Ever heard the phrase, "choose your battles wisely?"

o
Correction

out to offend.

o
crunch

The infant won't remember the crunch either. :c)

o

While I do appreciate the stab at an apology, I still feel (yep, it's my opinion) it doesn't stand up as well when excuses (smoke and mirrors) follow.

* You opened the doors for Women...
* Didn't swear so anyone would hear you...
* Don't disrespect a Woman...
* Don't drink too much, get drunk, and embarrass yourself or family...
* Earrings were for WOMEN. Right or wrong, that's just the way it was.
* It's just MY PRIVATE view, and one stance I won't stray from.

I open the door for everyone - young, old, black, white, male, female, straight or gay.

I don't swear in public either - alone in the car doesn't count. ;)

I don't drink at all, so no problem not getting drunk. One can certainly embarrass themselves and/or their family without alcohol. I 99.9% sure I have never embarrassed my family - teenagers not included.

Times change, so do trends. Earring wearing is one of those trends that has changed and will continue to change along with hemlines and heel height.

These are my private views, and I most likely won't stray from them... but I also was raised, and practice daily to:

Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Never be rude.
Bite your tongue if you need to.
Protect your young/family - don't mess with Mama Bear.
Cherish your friends.

I have more, for example "Don't keep your finger on the trigger," but they don't really apply to this situation. ;D

And probably the best one for our day and time with texting, internet and emailing -

Never, ever put something in writing and hit enter without reading it twice. Somethings need to be canceled/deleted without saying. Once it's out there, it can't be taken back.

o

I seem to remember more offense being taken in discussions about where people hang their kid's school pictures and what that tends to say about socioeconomic cl---, shoes on/shoes off, etc., so it hardly has to do with the gravity of the initial questions. It's the Implication that sets people off--the implication that they might be part of the lesser group. And since there are no earring wearing sissies in here (they've all been drawn and quartered) it's all cool right? Got it.

o

Sheeessh!
I give up!!
I can't even apologize without someone twisting my reasons...and/or people reading other meanings
into my statements.

Like many of us, we're largely a product of our family upbringing and social-interactions/norms.

AGAIN...whether it's right-or-wrong...those were some of the social norms I experienced in my young-adult life. Many of these just tend to become "part of our mindset".

I'm also sorry for unintentionally steering this thread into a "no-fun" zone!!

Faron

o

UNBELIEVABLE!

o

Faron, any statement is going to be open to interpretation and since it isn't a face to face discussion, the personal interaction part of it is missing, which affects interpretation.

My interpretation of what you said was that maybe you had experienced some bullying and in your area something like an earring would be yet another cause for bullying so it was way outside of your norms. In contrast, many of the Bullies here have earrings...

As you said, "largely a product of upbringing"

I think many people are bullied at one time another for various reasons which are up to the bully themselves, not something that the victim of the bully does.

o

Gosh this was a busy place this weekend!

tina

o

I am not easily offended, and I don't think I have ever participated in any of the controversial or argumentative discussions here, but I have to admit I was taken aback by Faron's comment as well -- particularly because it was after I had said my son had his ear pierced (so maybe I took it a bit personally). I thought "men with earrings turn my stomach" just seemed kind of nasty. Now, that is just MY opinion but it seemed harsh.

o

My DH has his ear pierced as do both my sons. (no gauges). That said, I have offended people with my opinion of tattoos. While I like many people who have tattoos, I do not like tattoos.

There is no way to get this many people together and have us agree on everything. I appreciated Faron's honesty and did not take it personally. I think he would have a hard time disliking my DH, even thought he would loathe his earring. I'd bet he wouldnt even notice that earring after awhile. Kind of like me and tattoos. He admitted he has not been exposed and has adopted the mind set of his upbringing. I find his honesty refreshing, even if we disagree.

o

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I have to say, Faron has posted here a long time and I cannot remember him ever being nasty to someone. I think he does like all of us probably do at some time or other and spoke without thinking about what/how he was saying. Not to excuse anyone, but he did try to explain and apologize.

That said, Lukki, Allison and Kelly - I consider you friends. Lukki and I have had many discussions, I've *known* Allison for quite some time and have posted with her on other boards. Kelly I'm just getting to know but I like and respect all three of you! Disagreeing is one thing, and I think we understand what each of you are saying. If my mom were here she'd say "hug and make up"! LOL Okay, I'm trying to lighten things up. I don't like seeing my friends upset.

Goldie - you are one in a million and I want to be you when I grow up. LOL!!

tina

o

That is a good point, goldust, that we all like or dislike features ( clothing, hair, decorating styles, even character traits...) while still liking the person as a whole.

My goodness, I am so particular in my external likes and dislikes that I rarely find someone who has everything I like. But I have good friends and family whom I love very much. Even if I don't like their car or sofa!
Our youth pastor at church has plugs and his wife and he are both heavily tattooed but have hearts of gold. That other stuff is irrelevant.

o

I was not particularly offended by the post, that is too strong, but once the issue was raised I did illustrate how it could be taken negatively.

Golddust I understand where you are coming from but I am going to change the gender here one more time, and see what you think. I think because it is women reading it and his comment was about men you are all saying "oh big deal, lighten up"

***Please Note that I DO NOT Feel the way I am Saying, it is an ILLUSTRATION****
"[Men] with [earrings]
"[Women] with [tattoos] turn my stomach"

"A [man] with [earrings] would have been [drawn and quartered]...[sissy]
"A [woman] with [tattoos] would have been [sexually assaulted]...[s lut] was the word back then"

Do you understand if you put it in the context of Your Gender that it may not be a refreshing opinion?

I also understand that Faron apologized, sorta, --but I work with a community of patients part time who were serially beaten as children, raped, assaulted, and jailed because of perceived (or real) sexual or gender differences, and even in my small level of interaction with them I have to deal with the negative implications this has had on their lives, years later.

To draw and quarter someone BTW is to drag them by horse to a place of hanging, hang them till almost dead, disembowel them while alive and cut them into parts for display.
It's used as an expression now, but it was a brutal form of torture.

o

I don't see this as a fight, skirmish or anything more than someone probably having a bad day and taking something someone else said the wrong way.

I know I keep repeating myself here, but a lot of us have been interacting on this board together for a very long time and as such, we should be able to show a little tolerance if something isn't said just "so". We live all over the place and each demographic has it's own quirks. Yes, some are more diverse than others but that's always been my favorite part about the board (and internet in general). I can see those quirky differences through the people here without ever having to leave my house. Lynn gives us the flavor of New Mexico, Natal - Louisiana, SunnyCottage - Texas, Faron - North Dakota and the list could go on and on. I just think a little tolerance in the way something is conveyed is needed and to take offense over such a trivial thing is just plain silly.

o

This is the last I'll say about it.

I think Faron's point of view is so very different from mine that it's difficult to see from his perspective.

I also think that saying you don't like something - even saying that you hate something is no big deal. But when you use terms that are vitriolic (turn my stomach, sissy, revolting) that's where I draw the line. Obviously, he offended some of us and others not at all. Maybe it's just semantics and I suppose the world is in the eye of the beholder.

However, I'll take a cue from Palimpsest and give some examples of what might not be so tolerable: How would you feel if I said, "White cabinets are simply revolting!" Or maybe, "Teddy Bears in little boy's rooms are sissy!" Or how about, "Fiestaware turns my stomach!" I think a few of you would be highly offended.

So fine, Faron got to say exactly what he wanted and so did the rest of us. Even-Steven?

o

Please quote yourself with the above text next time you are tempted ride up the @-- of a few people in here that tend to stick their foot in it unintentionally. I won't name names, but I am sure everyone can.

Some people can't string a sentence together in here without getting ganged up on, and some people have license to say whatever they want, because "everyone knows that don't mean it that way". "Everyone" being whoever it is who decides to gang up on people or not.

I think everyone is entitled to an opinion, everyone in turn is entitled to have an opinion About that opinion, and Everyone should Know Better than to express certain opinions about certain things at all, in a forum like this--since it is Supposed to be Diverse.

o
addressed to

That was meant for Lukki et al, not kellyeng who was posting at the same time as I.

o

I was trying to stay away from this thread, but I'd like to state that I was and am not having a bad day.

Kellyeng pretty much summed up my thoughts with...

"I also think that saying you don't like something - even saying that you hate something is no big deal. But when you use terms that are vitriolic (turn my stomach, sissy, revolting) that's where I draw the line. Obviously, he offended some of us and others not at all. Maybe it's just semantics and I suppose the world is in the eye of the beholder."

I'm not mad or upset, I simply stated the way his post made me feel. Past posts Pal mentioned above, along with this, persuaded me to ask Faron if he realized he offended groups with his comment.

I've always stayed out of tattoo threads, but like Pal mentioned, when I was young I thought a woman with a tattoo was a bit of a tr@mp. I have no idea why. But you know what, I grew up, got an education at school and in life - and my thoughts changed. Why? Because they were not correct. Having a tattoo does not a tr@mp make, and having an earring does not make a male a sissy. Geez, Harrison Ford has an ear pierced and he is hardly a sissy!

A person's upbringing/surroundings do not necessarily etch everything for the rest of their lives. I see that as an excuse. That's what growing up, and becoming an adult, is all about. Or should be about. I was raised in the south, in the 60s, but you won't hear me say (or think) "take the hose" to someone!

And for the record, the "draw and quarter" comment turned my stomach - severely.

o

I take Faron for whom he portrays himself to be. He likes high dollar fashion, Caddilacs and high end hotels in Hawaii. He likes his family and works hard. Live in a cold winter environment. I have few other impressions other than he is honest. I can deal with that.

o

Uffda!

I guess some of my phrasing in my 1st post on this thread WAS a little "dramatic", BUT....was sincerely meant tongue-in-cheek ONLY. Apparently, some readers take things waaaaayyy too literally, but that's their right.

I guess all I should've said was...."I don't like seeing earrings on Men". But even this could be picked-at by some. I highly doubt I'm the only person who feels this way about Males with earrings!!! I also realize it's probably more prevalent in the "over 40" crowd...;-)

>>> I wish there was an "emoticon" that could convey such on this forum!! <<<

C'mon....does anyone REALLY think I meant "drawn-&-qtrd." in a hurtful vein??!?!

Faron

o

Faron! I'm trying to defend you but my earringed DH is decades older than 40. I'd bet he is older than you, even.

o
RE: Are your ears pierced?

Oh...forgot to mention-

Pal brought up the subject of possible bullying influences, if I'm reading him right....?!

Regardless...no, I wasn't bullied at all in school. Nor did I bully anybody else. Guess I was lucky in that respect!

(maybe being 6'2" & 240lbs. in HS helped some?!?! Sometimes ND has some big farmboys...;-))

Besides....my DF would've kicked-my-a$$ if I did something like that! Overall, I was a boring, straight-arrow farmboy!

Faron

o

My ears aren't pierced but I'd like to explain my wifes experience for many years ago. She had her ears pierced in 1974 at which time ear piercing was not very popular, she had been thinking about it for a while and around the time of her 16th birthday, her mum suggested that if she went and had her ears pierced, her mum, would buy her some earrings. That decided it so she went to the local jeweller in Greenford, West of London and had to make an appointment to go back the following week to be pierced, that seems so strange now with ear piercing being immediately available.
the man used a device called the Simplicity Ear Piercer which effectively pushed a needle through her lobes and then inserted hinged sleeper hoops into the holes. She had to keep the sleepers in for 6 weeks weeks turning them daily. After 6 weeks she took the sleepers out and tied to get in the earrings her mum had bought her. After half an hour of prodding and poking they would not go in and so she put the sleepers back for another two weeks and went and some some studs instead.
Fast forward nearly ten years and I asked her one night if she still had her sleepers - to which she said no as they had broken, but asked me why i liked them particularly. I said because wearing them would make her look like she had just had her ears pierced.
No more was said, and we went on holiday a few weeks later, having arrived at the resort she handed me a little brown envelope - and said 'present for you'. Inside was a new pair of hinged sleepers which she immediately let me put in her ears and wore them for the rest of the holiday. Wow.
I have asked on a few occasions if she thought about having her ears re-pierced but she always said no, one hole was enough. So I got some spring loaded silver hoops and one night when i put these on her she said she would have another hole done. So far still only the one hole, but she did wear the spring hoops in public the other week and did look so good.
Not sure where the earring/piercing fascination comes from as my mum did not have pierced ears and I did not have a sister, but just wanted to share this story

o

Self piercing earrings that had already been used a couple of times by my girlfriends. I was in junior high and my mom didn't know I was doing it. My friends older sister put them on and she put one of them on off center. It still doesn't look right today. Covered it with my long 60s hair so my mom wouldn't notice.

Hurt like the devil.

o

Here's a link describing the torture devices er self piercers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

Deleted-double post

This post was edited by red_lover on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 11:17

o

Weird fetish PaulMac

o

My father wouldn't let me get my ears pierced until I was 18 (in 1970). So, I was actually a freshman in college when I had it done at a jewelry store in our local mall with that little gun. When one got infected, my aunt sent me to a little pharmacy to get some special salve to put on it....I still remember the little tin it came in but not the name. Fast forward 20 years or so when my daughter was in elementary school and wanted to have it done. I wasn't about to make her wait until she was 18 but I did make her wait a few months, just to be certain she really wanted it and wasn't doing it because her friends were doing it. We both wear earrings everyday.

o

Posted by terriks (My Page) on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 13:37
Weird fetish PaulMac

Not so weird terricks, my wife likes me to squeeze her pierced hole and also to gently tug on her sleepers. Looking at other forums on the web, there are other husbands who like ear piercing. My wife says I could have stranger things to like, so we're both happy.

o

Yes - when I was 18.

o

I pierces my ears at 29, a year after I married a jeweler. I'm not an earring person so they have closed up by now, I'm certain. Too much hassle for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here