Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

So Horrific...

The kidnapping story...I am only following it some online, I don't watch tv news but it is beyond sad. I don't know how those women will ever recover.

Comments (16)

• Olychick
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't know either. But if you haven't watched the Jaycee Dugard interview by Diane Sawyer, I highly recommend it. It's almost unimaginable what she lived through, but she has such an amazing attitude and exemplifies "survivor." She is also a thriver. She was blessed with a wonderful mother, which seemed to help in all phases of her experience. I'm not sure if all three of these women had that kind of support while growing up, but hope the love they had from their families and are feeling now from so many will help them heal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kaycee Dugard interview

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

It is beyond imagining but one thing (only one?) really haunts me; those 3 women had *normal* lives as young girls and have a reference point for what healthy, normal life can be like. Hopefully they will regain some of that over time. The 6 year old was born into this, has known nothing else. I know children are resilient but she is the one I think about the most.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Olychick - I was just thinking the same thing! Kaycee is an amazing woman and I believe these woman can - with help - get through this.

Hopefully they have alot of family and friends who love them and will help them get through this ordeal. I'm so happy they were found - and freed!

tina

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Hard to imagine what they went through and how they will recover. I haven't followed the story closely, but did hear on the radio that two of the brothers in the home were not charged and were released. How can that be? Where did they think these women came from?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by Bumblebeez on Fri, May 10, 13 at 17:40

• theroselvr
    10 years ago

I can't imagine what they've gone thru & I wonder how many other missing girls are in the same situation.

It's sad what happened to Michelle since she was an adult when she went missing. I've been helping a friend try to find the daughter she placed for adoption in 1974. She received a letter in the mail 3 years ago asking for a DNA sample so that they can compare to Jane Doe's at that point; she's already been missing for 21 years. They originally botched her case; called her a run away. My friend has paid for searches to see if they can trace her because the state is broke; there is no one to investigate. The adoptive parents haven't searched for her.

There is a FB page for Michelle - Prayers and Support for Michelle Knight FB Page

Michelle Knight, held captive since 2002, removed by Cleveland police from FBI database 15 months (11/2003) after disappearance

They were unable to contact Michelle's mother via phone to verify her status & shows they called until 11/13/03 when LE left a message saying that the file will remain invalid unless new leads turn up & on 12/1/04 a detective unsuccessfully tried calling Michelle

I assume they didn't drive there or check with the grand mother?

It says that the written policy on missing adults, (when she went missing 8/02), states an officer must go and see that a missing person has been found, then notify FBI within 2 hours for removal from the NCIC

~Snip

Pasqualini acknowledged Thursday that DeJesus' and Berry's inclusion in the NCIC database did not help law enforcement officials locate them sooner than Knight. But she said that the overall invalidation of Knight's case points to a larger systemic problem -- that missing juveniles are a higher priority than missing adults.

"If a missing person is in the NCIC system, it instantly legitimizes the case," Pasqualini said. "Had Michelle's mother called us for help, we would have had to say no.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aundria Bowman missing since 3/11/89

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

Jana, the brothers did not live at the house. They were with him when he was picked up (and I do not know how that happened) - but they had outstanding warrants, so that is why they were kept in jail.
    While I always keep everything private on the internet, I will say here that I do live in the Greater Cleveland area. This story has gripped us since Tuesday at about 5:00pm. I will recount some of what has been reported in our media here. As I say, -- has been reported --
    Amanda Berry went missing close to 11 years ago. She was on her way home from a job at Burger King. It is now known that Ariel Castro tricked her into his car - and while she should have known better, it happened. He told her his son works at that Burger King and he would give her a ride home. Her parents were divorced and her father lives in Tennessee. Her mother was relentless trying to find her. She was constantly in the media. Her mother felt she was still alive. Shortly after Amanda's disappearance, her mother went on the Montel Williams show - and a psychic told her Amanda was gone. She became quite ill after that and passed away about three years after Amanda's disappearance. As she was nearing the end, she bought a shirt and a tie for one of the newsmen that had been following her story and told him to wear it when they found Amanda as she would not be here. Bill Saffos proudly wore it on Wednesday. She has a sister, Beth and was taken to Beth's home after her release from the hospital. It was just confirmed today that Jocelyn, her daughter, was fathered by Ariel Castro. It is reported the child was born in a child's swimming pool and that Castro told Michelle to deliver the baby and that if the baby died, he would kill Michelle. Michelle had to give the baby mouth-to-mouth at one point. I do hope the child is okay and was not without oxygen. By all accounts she is okay - as Castro would take her out to the park, to visit his mother, etc. He said it was the child of his girlfriend, although no one ever met the girlfriend.
    Gina DeJesus disappeared about a year later from almost the same location as Amanda. She knew Castro. She was friends with his daughter and he tricked her as well, telling her he would drive her home. Castro also played in a band with Gina's father AND attended some of the vigil services that were held for Amanda and Gina. Gina's family held a vigil service every single year and her family never stopped looking for her. I think Gina probably has the best family support system of the three.
    Michelle Knight was never even heard of until she was rescued. She disappeared about a year prior to Amanda.
    She has also said that there was another girl there for a time. There are two other girls missing -- almost from the same area as these three. Michelle had some serious problems. She had mental problems and her child was being taken by Social Services. That is when she disappeared. Being 20 at the time, she was thought of as a runaway. She has almost no support system. I believe her father is deceased. Her mother is in Florida and they are estranged. Now her mother is up here trying to get a court order to be able to see her. She was released from the hospital, then went back in. She was released today. First they said she was going to stay with Gina DeJesus' family, then it was said she went to an undisclosed location. She has seen one of her brothers, her twin. It is also reported that she was pregnant at least five times by Castro and he would beat her and starve her until she miscarried. They have searched the property and found no evidence of human remains, so I do not know what happened to the fetuses.
    This is all so very tragic for all of these girls and families. It is reported that until Jocelyn was born, they were all chained and gagged in the basement. That was at least 5 years for Michelle, 4 for Amanda and over 3 for Gina. Then when Jocelyn was born, he put each in a bedroom upstairs and locked them in. He cut a slit through the doors to pass whatever food he was giving them. They never, ever went outside except two times when he let them walk to the garage with wigs on. He even changed their names so the little girl would not blurt out a name and have someone recognize it.
    I cannot even imagine the horrors - 10 years - at least 3,650 days in captivity.
    He had several locks on the door to the upstairs and several on the door to the basement. People were not allowed in his house - but those who knew him thought he was a wonderful, wonderful man.
    On Tuesday, he accidentally left the lock to Amanda's room undone. Jocelyn said that "daddy" had gone to see "Grandma" and Amanda thought that this was her chance. The 911 call is chilling. But luckily the police were there in less than 2 minutes and they were let out.
    I cannot even imagine - and I am not giving all of the gruesome details that have come out. The house is in a very, very blighted area of the city. He bought the house about 10 years ago for $12,000. When I say basement, I mean cellar. Those houses have dark, damp, dingy cellars. The upstairs had to be awful as well - I cannot imagine the heat in the summer.
    I do hope they all get the help they so desperately need. This city is helping as much as they can with donations, a unity march yesterday, decorations all over the houses. What won't go away is the media. The girls cannot even come out of their house to enjoy the sunshine as media from all over the world is camped out there.
    He will never see the light of day. The prosecutor asked for a $5M bond and the judge made it $8M. They are talking about 5 murder charges for the unborn babies. One account said there will be hundreds - if not thousands - of charges.
    Every time I turn on the news it is there. Every time I think about it, I almost become ill. It is horrific beyond words. I hope Michelle, Amanda, Gina and their families find some kind of peace. I hope the families of the two girls still missing find closure soon. And I hope Ariel Castro rots in hell for what he did to all of them.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No-green-thumb, thank you for posting that. I know it was difficult but I hoped for a synopsis and that helped a lot. I also find it so, so sickening which is why I avoid most media coverage of it. I cannot dwell on it.

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

Glad I could be of help, Bumble. While many have never heard this story, it has never left the minds of Clevelanders. The incredible strength of the families is something to be admired. Gina's father, Felix, is a man and a gentleman to be admired. He held vigils every year. He always believed Gina was alive. Ten years later there were still posters and yellow ribbons all over the area.
    Rose, I so agree about Michelle. Missing adults do not get the attention that missing children do. I worry about Michelle the most. She had so many problems before her kidnapping. It was reported this morning that she is with the DeJesus family.
    While I understand the importance of the media and that if it were not for the media we would not even know about this story, still I think it is time to leave all of these people alone for a while. They promised to tell their story when they can. The Guardian Angels have even put up tarps around the DeJesus house so at least the family can come outside with some privacy. May God bless and heal all those involved.

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Thank you for your excellent synopsis. I can't even begin to fathom what these women and their families have experienced. I am also praying for peace and healing for all of them. Evil doesn't even begin to describe that man.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for your local insight into the case. I don't know what more we can do other than think positive for these women and the little girl.

It is amazing they didn't die from infection from all the miscarriages or Amanda from the birth complications. .

• theroselvr
    10 years ago

52-year-old convicted kidnapper and rapist Ariel Castro was found hanging in his cell Tuesday.

Castro was being held at the Correction Reception Center in Orient, OH in Pickaway County.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ariel Castro: found dead in cell

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Wow! I hadn't heard that...thanks for posting.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Haven't heard a word on the news here, either. Not sure how I feel about it.

• theroselvr
    10 years ago

My 1st thought is that I hope the girls & his family were notified before it hit the news.

On some levels it's good; on others it's not. Unreal that he could not handle being in captivity -4 months. He decided his own fate; unlike the 3 women & Amanda's daughter.

He will be rotting in hell.
    I hope the women will be able to come to terms with everything & flourish. I hope his family can also move on with their lives. I hope he did not take any secrets to the grave as I've felt there was one more girl unaccounted for.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I think his family found out on the news.

We were up late and getting to bed about 12:45 when I heard the breaking news on TV.

He was a total coward. OTOH, if he was ever in the general prison population, someone else would have probably done him in.