Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caminnc1

My heart is breaking

caminnc
11 years ago

Had to put my best friend of almost 15 years to sleep this morning. She was the sweetest, smartest and funniest little girl ever. ~~~I Love You Cassie~~~

Comments (35)

• goldgirl
    11 years ago

Godspeed Cassie. I'm so sorry caminnc. Do you have photo you can post - would love to see her!

• golddust
    11 years ago

I am soo sorry. Why do our pets have such short lives? (((Hugs))) Picture please!

• awm03
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear about your beloved Cassie's passing. Hugs to you, caminnc.

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry, caminnc. Sending cyber hugs to you.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Sending along hugs too!

• caminnc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I feel so guilty having to put her to sleep. She had lung cancer and was beginning to have kidney failure. The vet said she would only live a couple of days. I can't tell you how sweet, funny and full of life she was. I didn't know until this morning she had cancer. I have had many dogs but she was my special little girl. She knew every one of her thirty some toys. She was soooo smart.

• DLM2000-GW
    11 years ago

oh, caminnc, what a sweet girl. Please don't feel guilty - she could not have been comfortable and you made a decision that any of us would have made in the same situation. It's really our final gift to our beloved pets when they can no longer function well or without pain. Hugs to you.

• bestyears
    11 years ago

oh, she is so beautiful. You are grieving deeply because you loved her deeply. Don't try to brush it away or 'get over it' -this grief is your last connection to your sweet Cassie. Let yourself be sad for awhile -it is simply a testament to the love between the two of you.

I came across this, and thought it might help....

Poem for Dog Lovers

Hello. I've been expecting you for quite some time.
    Here, come sit beside us for awhile .
    and let me tell you about this old friend of mine.
    She might look tattered or maybe old
    But I won't say goodbye until you've been told.
    She had the brightest eyes I had ever seen,
    And wore a beautiful fur coat that would out shine a queen .
    She was never prissy but walked with an aire ......
    And oh so polite, you could take her most anywhere.
    She could run like the wind and could catch anything she chased
    But she protected and sat with me when I had problems to face.
    You could not find a friend nearly so dear.
    Because no matter the trouble she always stayed near...
    She has never asked for much from me;
    Just to love and respect her and I think you'll agree .
    To give her a good meal plus a nice warm bed is not much to ask ;
    When she has given me all her love and to her this was no task.
    Now I understand you have a schedule to keep.
    But I have a small favor before she nods off to sleep.
    Please fold your wings around her and let her feel young while in no pain ;
    Dear Guardian Angel of Pets ,
    please keep her safe and happy until I see her again.

Ginger Patton

• leafy02
    11 years ago

So sorry to hear of your loss. RIP Cassie. I am sure she knew she was loved every day.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

So sorry, Cam...I'm all teary as I type this. What you're going through is so hard. It is SO heartbreaking to lose our special friends. I believe we will see them again at another time, don't you? The bonds we create with these little ones are so deep and so special, I can't believe that death really separates us.

You did the most loving thing by relieving Cassie of her discomfort so she could pass peacefully. One day she will say, "Thank you for loving me so much, and for letting me go when it was time."

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Oh I am so sorry. This is always such a heartbreaking moment for everyone and a day we all dread. Sending you virtual hugs.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Cassie. Those little balls of fluff, whether they be cats or dogs, just burrow their way into our hearts and lives and before we know it we have to say good-bye to them. Our last act of love is to help them leave easily and peacefully. Don't feel guilty but instead feel blessed that you were so lucky to have had such a great companion for so many years. ((((HUGS)))).

• pugga
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry. I know what a hard decision this was to make. She was a beautiful girl and had a long, happy life with you, I'm sure.

• pammyfay
    11 years ago

So, so sorry...
    I am sure that there are types of cancers, and differences in how they manifest themselves in different animals, that it makes it difficult for people to see what's there.

More and more, I think that there is someone "up there" who knows what is best for us, even as I question why (all the time -- that's my problem!). My first pup died suddenly (she had a very slight heart murmer but nothing evident), and I know G-d was looking out for me, because I would never have had the inner strength to make the decision to let her go when she needed to.

What a cutie, that Cassie!

• caminnc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all soooo much for the kind words. The Dr. had put her on arthritis medication last week and she was running around like a puppy until yesterday. She eat breakfast as usual but then started panting and shaking. It got worse during the night and she couldn't stand up. We didn't kown it was her lungs until he took x-rays this morning. I know my life will never be the same without her but I am thankful for all the wonderful memories. I could talk about her forever and never get tired of it. She brought me so much joy. I pray we can be together again someday. Thank you all. I am sure I will get through this.

• User
    11 years ago

Caminnc, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's the hardest of things to do, but it's the right thing when they are so ill. No matter how old they are, they always leave too soon, it's the one terrible thing about loving our animals so much, we're just never ready to say good bye. RIP Cassie (((hugs)))

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Oh such a pretty little baby too! May I suggest something? Sometimes going to animal shelters and comforting all the dogs who look sad makes you feel a bit better. I know it makes some people sad to see the dogs there but I like to think that all dogs understand the words "good dog". Maybe it will make you feel good to think your little doggie might be looking down feeling joy that you are brightening another doggie's day.

• folkvictorian
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry to read about your sweet Cassie, what a beautiful dog! Please don't feel guilty about her being put to sleep, you did what was best for her and she's no longer in any pain. Your heart is breaking but you did what was right. Hugs to you from all of us.

• kellyeng
    11 years ago

I feel your heartache & so so sorry for your loss.

• justgotabme
    11 years ago

CarminNC, my heart is breaking for you. I know what you are going through. We had to do the same a little over four years ago with our beloved Maggie doggie and I still miss her like crazy. You never get over it, but it does get easier with time.
    I can't imagine our loving God not allowing our precious pets into Heaven to wait for us for they are precious gifts from Him. He created them to be our companions. (((hugs)))

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Oh what a cutie-pie she was. That sweet face. You have my sympathy and understanding for what you are going through.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Cam, my two babies are 13 and I can hardly read this thread. I know I will have to go through this someday and I have tears thinking about what you are going through. Hugs.

• homebodymom
    11 years ago

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl. No doubt in my mind that our fur babies will be waiting in heaven for us. Hold on tight to the years of wonderful memories

• User
    11 years ago

I am so sorry. I am sure you have wonderful stories to tell about your sweet puppy. Maybe you can share some here. c

• Irish2
    11 years ago

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Cassie. We had to
    make that decision twice already so I know all too well what you are going through.

((Hugs))

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

Hugshugshugshugshugs. We went through this just 3 weeks ago when we had to have our dear old boy Howard relieved of his misery.

It's so easy to question if you did the right thing, but I truly believe that it's the best to let our dear friends go without suffering than trying to hold on to them for our own hearts. Do not ever feel bad for wanting to talk about her, she was very important part of your life, and she brought you much joy. Her stories will comfort you and ease your heart. So very, very sorry.

• 3katz4me
    11 years ago

Awwww - what a sweetie. I'm so sorry you had to lose her. It is SO hard to have to make that decision and terribly heartbreaking when we have to say goodbye to our beloved pets. I can hardly stand it but they are such a joy that I keep putting myself through it. Every day I spend with my pets I know the joy is worth the agony.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    11 years ago

Oh that price we must ultimately pay, but oh the rewards
    My heart aches for you.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Cam, I so sorry. Your Cassie was a beautiful little girl.

My cats are my babies, and my heart aches knowing that it will break my heart when they eventually pass on, just as it did when we lost our first cats. It sure doesn't get any easier. Knowing that though, I wouldn't trade in a minute with them, and would do it again without hesitation.

My thoughts are with you.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

I mean, I would gladly have cats again (in case it wasn't clear).

• yborgal
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. When our furbabies leave us they take a piece of our hearts with them and it really hurts.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Oh my, so sorry for your loss, cam. She was a beautiful dog and she was lucky to have been loved so much and had such a wonderful life with you.

• caminnc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers. I am still a mess but your support helps more than you can ever know.

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

My heart feels for you so much, Cam! The joy and love our furkids bring to us is immeasurable and such a blessing. I know in my heart of hearts that they'll be there to greet us when we pass over ourselves someday. Until then, they'll be having lots of fun while they wait. Hold on to the knowledge that you gave your sweet darlin a wonderful life filled with happiness and love. All pets should be so blessed! What goes around, comes around and I have no doubts that you'll be together one day again. Until then, sending you lots of hugs.
    Lynn