Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Wedding veil complete....well almost

Annie Deighnaugh
10 years ago

Other than shortening and attaching it to the comb, the veil is done! Huzzah!!!

The beading consists of a wide variety of stuff, but I coordinated it with each flower being beaded in the same way regardless of where it occurred on the veil. I used paillets, rocailles, seed beads, bugle beads, czech crystal, swarovski crystal, individually mounted rhinestones, sequins, some jewelry baubles, a few pearls and hand embroidery in silver thread.

Now I've got to start on my own dress for the wedding....

Comments (42)

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

Wow!!! Gorgeous. Lucky bride.

• trailrunner
    10 years ago

What talent!!! you are an artist . She will treasure this forever. c

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Beautiful, what a wonderful gift.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Absolutely breathtaking!

• blfenton
    10 years ago

WOW.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

very nice!! what does it look like at the 'top' where it will attach to the comb?
    is the initial for her 1st name, her maiden name or her husband to be's last name???

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. I feel a tad lonely as the veil has been my constant companion since Nov. when I started it. It has been a tremendous learning for me and I've enjoyed every minute of it. It has also allowed me to feel close to Mom as I know, if she were still here, she'd have been all over this thing. I feel so honored that I've been able to participate in the wedding in this special way.

The veil will just be gathered to a comb. The bride has yet to decide her hairstyle and what else she'll do. I'm either going to have to figure out a way to bustle it for her for the reception, or she may choose to have a rhinestone hair ornament separate from the veil and then take the veil off for the reception....it is long and will be in her way and it can get torn. Her Mom's was a cathedral length and was too badly ripped from being worn during the reception for us to use for this wedding.

Both the bride's and groom's first name begins with "J".

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Wow Annie! I haven't seen such intricate work since my late MIL was alive. You were blessed with patience, something I know nothing about. lol.

Beautiful!

• badgergal
    10 years ago

That is stunning. My daughter was married 2 years ago and I never thought about making her veil. I am detail oriented but I think a veil like you made would have been way beyond my capabilities. You deserve much more than a pat on the back for that work of art. Hope you will post pictures of the bride wearing the veil.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Gorgeous work, just brilliant, in every way.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

So beautiful. How long will it be?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the kind words. Most appreciated.

dedtired, it is cathedral length so it will hook to the back of her head and the design will be on the floor beyond her 22" long train...

• awm03
    10 years ago

How elegant! Beautiful job. I can imagine how happy the bride will be and how proud you will be!

• golddust
    10 years ago

Stunning! I'm speechless. Can't imagine making that by hand. You are so talented.

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

It is absolutely elegant. Such a wonderful gift.

Beth p

• Sheeisback_GW
    10 years ago

That is beautiful. Great job!

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

All I can say is "That is one beautiful creation!"

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Love the initial. I bought my DD a plain veil with a blusher and I'm going to add beading around the edges, but I feel like I want to do something extra-maybe I'll ask her if she wants mongrams on it.

She found her incredibly perfect dress a couple weeks ago, and tried on a veil with the dress, it had crystal beads along the edges and was so pretty, but she didn't care for the beads-so I told her I'd hand bead hers for her-just not sure yet if we're going to add color or just clear-she doesn't want crystals, just seed beads.

This bride will be so honored, I'm sure. Beautiful job.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

That looks absolutely beautiful! Lucky bride-to-be!

• cooperbailey
    10 years ago

Just so lovely, and will look stunning as the bride walks down the aisle.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pesky, I'm not very experienced (1 veil) but if you have any questions, feel free to ask...I'll help however I can.

I'm so disappointed that I won't be going to the wedding now to see the bride go down the aisle in her veil....we are taking a river cruise on the Danube for our 35th anniv and the ONLY reservation that was available for the ENTIRE YEAR was on the day of the wedding. We booked so late because we weren't free to travel as long as our cat was with us, given all his problems.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Veil has been officially turned over to the bride. I went to another fitting with her yesterday and the veil looks to be the right length, so it's done.

Her dress has a number of pieces to it. She has a tulle overskirt with a long train for the wedding:

Then for the reception, she can take off the tulle and she has a satin underskirt. I had to design a way to bustle the veil so it would be out of her way if she wanted to wear the veil for at least part of the reception.

It doesn't show in any of these pics, but here is a picture (not on her dress) of the belt she's wearing with her dress:

So the design on the veil had to be strong enough to stand up to the sparkle in the belt and the fullness of the skirt. The lighting at the bridal shop is very good, so I took a close up of the beading on the veil as it shows some of the spark. I think it will serve her well.

So sorry I won't be there to see it....but maybe it's better that way....otherwise I could see myself chasing her around the church and the reception being a mother hen to her veil!

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Stunning! I love it all!

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

Annie, it is absolutely gorgeous! What a generous gift.

Beth P.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

really pretty... and i love the long length!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing the complete story of this veil!

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Very pretty, thanks for sharing those with us, it completes the story !!!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

That is beautiful! It's very reminiscent of my wedding veil (sans the sparkles), which I made a little over 35 years ago. The lace is also very similar. That was very generous of you--I hope she treasures it for many years to come.

• theroselvr
    10 years ago

Beautiful!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

That's what I was waiting for. I was reading through the posts following the photo and planning to ask for an additional photo when the wedding takes place. I hadn't thought about the opportunity with a fitting - it's beautiful. No, it's stunning. Thanks so much for sharing what it looks like with the dress and on the bride! It's gorgeous without being overstated, and my guess is there is a lot of love sewn in ;)

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

I'm tearing up! I'm such a sentimental wuss sometimes.
    It's lovely -- I'm sure she'll treasure it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words and compliments. I'm not sure how much love went into the veil...that's hard to measure... but I know it was a lot of time and sweat and nervousness and creativity and fear and learning and drudge and driving and shopping and thinking and googling and library books and joy and excitement and pride and practice. All sorts of wonderful things. A real learning experience and so much fun to work with beautiful things like beads and crystals and rhinestones and lace, and of course a beautiful bride. But an experience humbled by the knowledge that I could've been replaced by a 12 yr old Chinese girl who would've worked on it during 14 hr days, 6 days a week and gotten it done lickety split!

I'm glad it came out well, I'm glad the bride loves it, but most of all, I'm glad I got it done without any rips or stains or blood or other major accidents...nothing got caught in the machine, it didn't get closed in a door, the iron didn't melt it, and the cat didn't pee on it....I got it to her safe and sound.

Now it's her problem!
    ;)

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

I'm stunned. Beautiful. I hope the bride will let you post a picture from the wedding.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

That is really beautiful Annie. Any bride would be proud to wear that down the aisle. I hope she appreciates all the work and attention that went into making such a special piece.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

It really is gorgeous and the bustling of it ingenious. I never would have imagined to do that, but what a great idea and beautiful design you came up with.

• CLBlakey
    10 years ago

Wow! ..............Just Wow!! That is so beautiful!! I was okay looking at it until the fitting with the bride then tears. How absolutely gorgeous.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much...your kind words are most appreciated!

I've been doing alterations on clothing I've purchased for our upcoming vacation, but it just isn't as much fun as playing with all the bling on the veil....

I'll have to see if I can dig up another bride!
    :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not the professional photos, of course, but bride sent me a pic from one of the guests of the veil in action. I was so pleased to see it...so sorry I couldn't be there, but glad it worked so well for her.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

That is just lovely beyond words, Annie! She must have felt like the most beautiful bride in the world and I am sure she will save it for her daughter or granddaughter some day. What a treasure.

• chickadee2_gw
    10 years ago

It looks beautiful. Annie!

• golddust
    10 years ago

Magical in a way I don't usually know magical, generally. Stunning, in fact. Great job! I

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys....I'm so anxious to see the professional photos now!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz