Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

That's ridiculous...and other pet peeves

Annie Deighnaugh
10 years ago

From a nutrition article I was reading today:

"We estimate that 8 percent of deaths in women and almost 10 percent in men could be prevented if people consumed less than half a serving per day of red meat."

- Adam Bernstein, Cleveland Clinic's Wellness Institute

He does realize, does he not, that NO ONE has ever PREVENTED death.

Right up there with "coronary heart disease" ...coronary means heart.

Sheesh!

Comments (57)

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Can't say I personally know anyone whose death was 'overdosing on red meat'. BUT, in cancer treatment, one of the first things the patients i've known are told is, cut out red meat.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not arguing about the value of reducing red meat in the diet...I'm arguing about the statistics that death is somehow preventable and by a particular amount. Death is not preventable. Not by any percentage. 100% of people who have lived, die.

But especially in this case where they don't relate it to a particular cause. You don't die of eating red meat, unless you choke on a hunk of steak. You die of cancer or heart disease or whatever. And you may be able to mitigate your risk of dying of a particular cause by reducing the amount of red meat, but regardless, you are going to die. It is inevitable. So I don't understand how 10% of deaths can be prevented. They can't. You may be able to extend life by reducing your risk of acquiring a specific disease by eating a specific diet, but you can't mitigate your risk of death.

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

Carried to extremes, eating a healthy diet and living a super-healthy life probably statistically increase your chance of dying by murder, suicide or a meteor strike.

Or more likely, increasing lifespans lead to an increasing chance of suffering from dementia before you check out.

Feh!

L.

• annie1971
    10 years ago

AnnieD: I understand your peeve; I get it 100% and support you in your angst and the ridiculousness of the claim.
    Annie'71

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

Coronary heart disease is just one type of heart disease.
    Rheumatoid heart disease, heart valve disease, etc.

i would like to see the quote about preventable death in the full article. With the credentials of Dr. Bernstein, I'm sure he knows death is not preventable. Perhaps a word was left out or a typographical error.

• melsouth
    10 years ago

I have one.
    I just heard a guy say, "That is arguably my favorite book."
    Who is he arguing with about whether it's HIS favorite book?
    Himself???

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

No kidding, huh? Preventable death? There are only two things in life that are certain-death and taxes.

Interesting that you mention the red meat thing-I just read an article about the 16 things you should not eat-it was quite surprising as it included bread-of all kinds. Not to get on a soap box, but many of the 'natural' foods were on the list because they're GMO or contain high amounts of pesticides. Bread particularly because wheat has been so modified from that which our parents had-that even whole grain bread is not particularly palatable if you're hoping to avoid GMO.

My biggest pet peeves include 'can i axe you a question?', 'I literally died when he told me', and the inane warnings on the obvious-such as on a curling iron-CAUTION extreme heat, do not handle the metal part when turned on.

• annie1971
    10 years ago

How about, "for oral consumption only." Like you're going to put it somewhere else?!! I guess they have to say so, otherwise someone might try -- or did.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, what it was, was, according to the article in Science Daily about the study:

The researchers estimated that 9.3% of deaths in men and 7.6% in women could have been prevented at the end of the follow-up if all the participants had consumed less than 0.5 servings per day of red meat.

So it was the number of deaths that occurred during the study and the follow up associated with each kind of diet that they were counting and their estimate of how many of those who died may not have had they eaten less red meat.

But the statement was just dumb...blame either the speaker or the editor, but it was dumb.

And as I suggested earlier, the redundancy then would seem to be coronary artery disease...it is just coronary disease which may lead to a type of heart disease...

• User
    10 years ago

"Bag may cause suffocation", "coffee is hot" and other common sense stuff they shouldn't have to print.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Our old wood stove had a metal label attached to it that said, "Caution. Hot while in operation." We certainly hoped so!

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

Not trying to belabor the point, but it is actually called coronary artery disease because the coronary arteries, (the major arteries suppling blood to the heart) are diseased(clogged). It is also referred to as coronary heart disease-both correct.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I have only one major pet peeve and that is anyone slower than me in the Left lane! Move over!! Oh, and those who don't use turn signals.
    The rest of life is fine...

• melsouth
    10 years ago

Pesky, my DH read a Facebook status from one his friends.
    She said she was so glad the semester was over because her daughter had literally studied herself to death!

And Bumblebeez, oh, how I agree with the peeve of slow drivers who won't move out of the left lane. It's just so silly of them, lol.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

What it is, is...... ! This is finger nails on a blackboard for me!!

One here in TX that's pretty funny is 'all y'all', but I've also heard 'might could'. Grammatically, that sort of English just ain't right, but the folks are so friendly you just learn to laugh or ignore it.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

And what about the people who state "they gave 110%" Hellooooo do you have a teeny 10% body attached to you?

• caminnc
    10 years ago

I can't stand it when a grown up says "I heart ______" (fill in the blank) instead of I love _____. Sounds like a seven year old.

• springroz
    10 years ago

150% mark up. Goods can only be marked up 100% if they were given to you.

Point in time. A point IS in time. Redundant.

Marketing IN GENERAL is driving me nuts at the moment, so I have turned the TV off, and only watch a show if I can FF past the ad's.

Annie, those death things get me, too. I always percieve it the same, risk of death cannot be reduced!

Nancy

• User
    10 years ago

Funny how you never hear younger people complaining about such things. Curmudgeon-ness is the sole province of the old and crotchety :-)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, younger people are too busy complaining about how dorky and clueless their parents are.

• User
    10 years ago

Maybe they're not complaining at all....

Here is a link that might be useful: A Complaint Free World

• blfenton
    10 years ago

"It is what it is." - well, what else would it be?

"from the get go" - especially from a supposedly well educated or well spoken person. What ever happened to "from the beginning"?

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

Price point - how about just price

And my inner Ms. Grammar guardian is forced to add another pet peeve: kids today using the construction 'me and...' Drives me CRAZY!!! I won't say literally because I think, hope and assume I am still sane.

However, every time--and it is every time--someone under the age of ~40 talks about doing something with another individual it seems to be phrased Me and soandso instead of Soandso and I. Hate hate hate it.

• annie1971
    10 years ago

"It's to DIE for."
    You really want to die over a bowl of ice cream or new pocketbook? Not me.

• goldgirl
    10 years ago

running - that doesn't bother me as much as the growing number of folks who use "myself" in place of "I," as in, "Myself and Bob went to the store." It's becoming the norm.

• User
    10 years ago

What I listed isn't a pet peeve, I just think it's pathetic such things have to be labeled.

Hmm... off the top of my head I can't think of anything that really grates on me.

• annie1971
    10 years ago

I also don't like phone numbers turned into words (like, call menow). On a phone with no letters--next to impossible. And, yes, they do exist. Just give the phone numbers, already!

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

goldgirl, you are playing my tune. The misuse of myself drive me crazy. I think that people are worried about misusing me and are over-correcting.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I seen him do it.

Me and her went....

• Faron79
    10 years ago

I could care less....what you guys think.

Or COULD I....;-) ????

Or.....I COULDN'T care less.

Which is correct!?!?!?

Who in the world is misusing Terriks?!?!
    (hee-hee!)

Faron

• natesgram
    10 years ago

When a waiter comes by the table and says "how's your guyses dinner?"

• caminnc
    10 years ago

and there is always "these ones"

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

"I could care less" means you do care.

"I couldn't care less" means you don't care.

This is something I say that really tickles DH:
    "Would you please run the vacuum cleaner?" Instead of, "Would you please vacuum the floor." Or, "When are you going to run the lawn mower?" Instead of, "When are you going to mow the lawn?"

I have no idea where I picked that up!

• busybee3
    10 years ago

the misuse of me and i is really, really prevalent the other way too... for ie: 'she invited tom and i to the party' instead of 'tom and me'

where i grew up it wasn't uncommon to hear, 'how are yous guys doin' (or sometimes just 'how are yous') so hearing 'your guys' dinners' wouldn't sound that unfamiliar to me!! lol

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

LOL Faron. I should have used quotes around "me".

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

How about I'm 'playing' the radio rather than I'm listening to the radio? LOL

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Terriks-
    I is glad no one's "misusing" you...;-)

I do suppose there is a certain vagueness about my saying..."I'm gonna Rock out" now. Tho' people who KNOW me realize glass will soon start vibrating....so when I'm "playing it loud", there will be different connotations I s'pose...;-)

Kellyeng-
    So if I directly say, "I could care less", it really means I DO care...!??!? REALLY confused now!

Faron

• goldgirl
    10 years ago

I heard someone say that they think the growing misuse of "myself" reflects societal change. For example, traditionally, a speaker would say, "Bob, Cathy, and I went to the store," placing the speaker last in the group. Today, many would say, "Myself, Bob, and Cathy," putting the speaker first. Interesting idea.

I've read quite a few police reports over the years as part of various jobs, and officers frequently substitute "myself" for "I" or "me." It makes me think that they're trained to do so. But I also agree that part of the reason is that many people think that saying, "She gave books to Bob and me" somehow sounds wrong, so instead they say, "to Bob and myself."

• awm03
    10 years ago

Price point instead of price -- somebody pointed this out on GW a long while back, and now it bothers me too. Maybe it was you, trailrunner!

"I warrantee it" or "It comes with a money back warrantee."
    The word is warranty, accent on the first syllable, is a noun, doesn't have a verb form, not to be confused with guarantee.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

I say "price point" all the time but I do vehicle advertising so it comes with the territory. "Price point" does have a specific meaning so it is valid in some cases.

Sometimes I accidentally call a car a "unit" in casual conversation!

• User
    10 years ago

awm...must be a typo...I don't do these discussions :) had to be someone else ! c

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We always said that, patty cakes....

Mom played the piano, brother played the guitar, I played flute and Dad played the radio!

;)

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

LOL Annie! Was it a string, percussion, woodwind, or keyboard radio?

• ms-thrifty
    10 years ago

press 1 for ----2 for -----3 for -----etc. and then if you would like to hear this messag again ----Never getting to talk to a real person--then when you press the 1, 2,3 or whatever you get only a recorded message...and worse yet sometimes the person giving the recorded message is unclear or speeks with such an accent you have to play it over and over..

• judiegal6
    10 years ago

I think this is regional, but it really bothers me when someone puts "at" at the end of a question. For instance. Where is the dog "at"? or Where is your car "at"?

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

This is probably just a workplace thing but in the last few months I notice everyone is "messaging" and "socializing" instead of communicating and "reaching out" instead contacting people. And what's hilarious to me is how many of the sheep start using the buzz words as soon as they hear someone else doing it.

• User
    10 years ago

I like regional expressions/word usage even if they are gramatically incorrect. I think they make language interesting. I remember one of my neighbors in Virginia Beach, where we have a beach house, telling me his wife had to go to Tennessee and that he had told her he would carry her there if she wanted. I couldn't figure out what in the world he meant. Carry her there? I later figured out is a southern way of saying he would drive her there. I also think it's funny hearing the new words that my kids and their friends pick up - like "danke" ??? Meaning very cool.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Gail618 discussion re: regional expressions. When I first came to this area of Illinois which is largely German, I was surprised at the funny expressions I had never heard. Example-- someone finishing a sentence and adding the word "not" as in a question.

Ex: We're all meeting at noon, not?

Doesn't bother me and has actually grown on me. Funny looking back.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gibbs, at my work place, we would ping someone.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

All I can say is "Uffda"!!

Well...actually...I can say more than Uffda....aren't all of you "Glad"!?!?!?
    ;-)

Faron