Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

Regarding the frozen shoulder and pain in the rear threads . . .

tinam61
10 years ago

One thing really hits home. We are all getting older day by day, year by year. Staying flexible can make a HUGE difference in the aches and pains we experience and helpful in preventing injuries.

I am active and exercise, etc. but I go through periods where I do have some daily aches and pains. Usually my hips and lower back. I know at once that I have not been doing my stretches. Really makes a difference.

On the Mayo website there is a good section on 10 stretches to do daily. I'm a firm believer in just because we are getting older doesn't mean we have to feel that way! I want to always feel young LOL.

tina

Comments (9)

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

True, true-- this is a good reminder!

Also-- don't forget to do your Kegels! :)

• tinam61
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL Anele - how could I forget the Kegels???

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Excellent. I wish I could get disciplined enough to stretch every day. I do it for a few days and then I forget. Every spring I am aware of what I have lost over a winter of just sitting around.

• User
    10 years ago

Yoga.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

ugh... i used to be very flexible... even though i am quite active and fit, i have just recently been getting on the floor again to do alot of stretching (and ab work!!) and was AMAZED at how inflexible i had become! UGH!!!

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

I agree - yoga has been life changing for me in terms of aches, pains and flexibility.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

It is amazing how much flexibility we lose as we get older. I am shocked over here! lol Yoga is something I'd really like to try. As far as the aches and pains, diet can also help there. J. J. Virgin is a new one appearing on the PBS circuit. It's the same type of program others are promoting about dropping certain foods and increasing vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds.

Let's see if I can remember them from her program to eliminate food sensitivities and inflammation.

Dairy
    Gluten
    Eggs
    Soy
    Corn
    Sugar & artificial sweeteners
    Peanuts (had to look that one up!)

Dr. Fuhrman promotes GOMBS

Greens
    Onions
    Mushrooms
    Beans & Berries
    Seeds & Nuts

for energy and disease prevention and even reversal.

These doctors (others too) are really hitting the circuit that we don't have to get sick or feel tired and achy. We are what we eat!

One thing JJV said that stuck with me was "our bodies are not bank accounts, they are labs". That's basically the premise of Dr. Furhman's educationals, too.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by snookums2 on Thu, May 2, 13 at 13:30

• Jamie
    10 years ago

I am always on the lookout for models -- ladies who are obviously older than me but who look good. Saw one today at the PO. The skin on her face was like a drying apple, and she had a little rounding of the upper back, but she had a waist, wore a belt, and moved fluidly.

Left alone with my inner voice, without the inspiration of others, I believe I'd fall apart fairly quickly because I lose my sense of vitality rather readily.

This lady looked very much engaged and I want to aim for that, as well as the waist.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

I started Pilates last fall and got hooked. Totally agree about the importance of flexibility. In fact, my sciatica problem popped up after I hadn't done Pilates in a couple of weeks!

I've been doing group sessions at my university wellness center, and the instructor is a gem. She's been in the process of opening her own studio and I actually already started private sessions there. LOVE it. The bending and stretching is physically challenging while mentally it requires a lot of concentration and focus. Great combination.

This summer I'm signing up for a 30-lesson package with my Pilates instructor. I can't wait!

Thanks for the reminder about how important it is to keep active and fit.

Ann