Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allison0704_gw

Kellyeng - Skinceuticals Pholoretin Update

allison0704
11 years ago

Kelly,

I received a copy of your post on the old thread - guess it's gone because I searched without luck find it.

I haven't read anything like that happening with Skinceutical Phloretin!! Did you go to the doctor?

I am also highly allergic to poison ivy but have not had that reaction. That said, if I get too much (more than 5 drops) I will sometimes put on the tops of my hands - couldn't hurt, right? Well, I sometimes get contact dermatitis (looks like poison ivy, but doesn't get oozy) there... I've never put the two together, but wondering if that is the culprit.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Allison

Comments (7)

• kellyeng
    11 years ago

Hey Allison, yeah I don't know what happened to my post. Weird!

Anyway, for everyone else who may be interested, I used the phloretin cf and had a bad reaction.

I went to the doctor yesterday afternoon and he said it looked like I had a chemical peel. I was very swollen and red and had, what he said, heat-rash like bumps. And it did look like the bumps you might see on a baby.

So more than likely my ubber sensitive skin just reacted like I had a burn. I'm actually thinking about using it again once this clears up but starting very slowly with just one pump. Crazy?

• allison0704
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A pump? Mine has a dropper.

What did your doctor say about trying it again?

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Kelly, I would put just a tiny dab on your skin to see if there's a reaction. Sometimes if we're allergic to things, it gets worse and worse. Like a wasp sting.

I put vitamin E gel on my face one day, and had the same reaction you did. It wasn't pretty. lol.

• kellyeng
    11 years ago

Allison, it is a new gel formula that comes in a pump. They still have the drops.

My doctor wasn't to keen on the idea of me using it again but then he doesn't really care what my skin looks like! So I talked to my esthiologist and she recommended that, if I want to try it again, I should only use one pump every other day for a week and slowing work up from there. I think I'm gonna give it a shot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phloretin CF Gel

• tinam61
    11 years ago

What is an esthiologist, Kelly?

I have sensitive skin and have to be careful what I use. I'm allergic to shea butter and like Allison, I've had the contact dermititis from using it. With the Retinol, I was advised to use it like you were advised - a lower amount, not every day, etc. build up. The only problem I had with that was dryness. I learned even after building up, I can't use it every day. But, I had no allergic reactions.

Have you tried cortisone creme on your face to help it clear up? Is it itchy?

tina

• allison0704
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah geez.... I just saw my fingers misspelled "phloretin" in the title. :-/ At least they didn't in the post. lol

I would just be careful starting it back, like you said. I saw the pump/gel after I posted - went in search of. I bought in bulk last time the website I use had a 25% off sale. Might try the gel next time around.

Let us know how this turns out.

• kellyeng
    11 years ago

Tina, I guess "esthiologist" is just the newfangled way of saying "esthetician." Or maybe it means she has a PhD in "esthiology," lol!

I guess I knew better because my skin is sensitive too. I had to build up to the retinol as well and that wasn't a problem.

It doesn't really itch, just feels tight. My doctor told me not to use anything except aloe vera. He just doesn't want me to use anything petroleum based. I got a prescription for Medrol which is a steroid. Not sure if it's helping my face any but my arthritis and allergies feel pretty great!

Thanks Allison, I'll let you know.