Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Virtual Choirs, Beautiful Music, Eric Whitacre

User
9 years ago

I don't know how many of you are familiar with composer Eric Whitacre, but he is incredibly talented and forward thinking. I have sung some of his music in our choral society and it is all hauntingly beautiful. His latest projects have been virtual choirs, the latest composed of many thousands of singers in more than a hundred countries. The first was Lux Aurumque....I have heard this piece with a handful of voices and here is is with many, many more. The link is below. I have to think better of a world that contains so many people dedicated to learning, rehearsing and performing a work of art such as this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eric Whitacre's

Comments (6)

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I saw his Ted talk and was very moved by the thought of all those people, all over the world, enjoying the same music and participating in the same activity.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

His music is not always easy to sing. The notes are not difficult for trained singers, but the phrasing can be counterintuitive. The result is beautiful, almost holy, music. I love to watch him conduct, his control is poetry in motion. Yes, the thought of all those people studying, practicing, and coming together in a virtual choir is inspiring. Whitacre has done four virtual choir pieces and is working on a fifth for young people (18 and younger). I just saw on his Facebook page that a six year old is the youngest to sign up. I look forward to seeing and hearing the next one!

Our choral society (and most others) is off for the summer. Next month I am going to sing with others from many towns and counties who are coming together just for a few performances. It will help me stay "tuned." And I am thinking of joining the next virtual choir if it is my age group :-)

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

Kswl, have you performed his Cloudburst? Our chorus found it a challenge..,and amazing!
    My book club read this book( by Muriel Barbery) We loved it, though the first half was a slough.
    Any who sing, or have sung, in a chorus will appreciate this beautiful and true tribute.

A quote from âÂÂThe Elegance of the Hedgehogâ regarding choirs:
    âÂÂEvery time, itâÂÂs a miracle. Here are all these people, full of heartache or hatred or desire, and we all have our troubles and the school year is filled with vulgarity and triviality and consequence, and there are all these teachers and kids of every shape and size, and thereâÂÂs this life weâÂÂre struggling through full of shouting and tears and laughter and fights and break-ups and dashed hopes and unexpected luck-it all disappears, just like that, when the choir begins to sing. Everyday life vanishes into song, you are suddenly overcome with a feeling of brotherhood, of deep solidarity, even love, and it diffuses the ugliness of everyday life into a spirit of perfect communion.âÂÂ

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love that quote, Martinca--- and the rest of the book ----as it perfectly states the magic of choral singing. Never have sung Cloudburst but LOVE it. Have sung the Five Hebrew Love Songs and Alelluia....have no favorite of his works because they are all so interesting. He says wryly that his ambition was to become a rock star. Thank God he became a composer instead!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Wow! We (DH and I) sang this a couple of years ago in a choral performance. Had to memorize it. It was our annual 'living Christmas Tree' and our director picks some very challenging music. This was one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing this. I, too, love the quote, Martinca.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's nice to see other singers are also on GW :-)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations