Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswl2

Question: What to Wear???

kswl2
10 years ago

For Father's Day our family of six is going to New York for a fundraising evening to benefit the Irish Repertory Theatre. It is on a Monday night, and consists of different performers singing well-loved songs from the Rogers and Hammerstein book--- State Fair, Carousel, South Pacific, The King and I, you get the picture. DH LOVES these musicals and is really excited about this trip. The performance is a sort of show, emceed by Tom Hanks, a long time supporter of the Irish Rep, and afterwards there is a dinner at Sardi's.

So, is this the time for the little black dress, jazzed up with all the jewelry I own? (Admittedly, not that much as I'm just not a jewelry person.) Or is this time for an evening dress? For the boys -- I am still calling them that although they are 29 and 21, lol--- what will do for them? Neither has a dark suit, they've grown up in khakis or gray flannels,blue blazers and white shirt, worn anywhere and everywhere. DS2 has a tuxedo that still fits, but DS1 has grown out of his and DH complains about his ( which has also been 'outgrown,' I think). I think if one wears dinner clothes, they all should. If they wear their usual blazers, the ladies will have to dress down, iykwim.

The event will be in about a month. We're all going up at different times be ause of work and school schedules, and clearly there will be no packing light on this trip.

Suggestions?

Comments (30)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

It seems to me that fewer and fewer events call for evening dress. I would think if that were de rigeur at this event, the invite would indicate it?

I can't imagine an event that required evening dress and suit/tie or tux that would not make that clear, in this day and age?

Have fun!!

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

For the boys, I think the navy blazer with dress pants instead of kakis would be fine. Since they don't specify black tie, or did they ? tuxes and gowns would be overdressing, imoâ¦. snazzy cocktail dress sounds good, dark suit for your dh.

it sounds like a fun event !!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think the garb will be all over the place, there will inevitably be some jeans there, I know it. I think I was hoping for full on evening dress that would force me to buy new white dinner jackets for the men in my life. Probably about half the men will wear evening dress, this will be a fairly old crowd, very few my kids' age, if any, although there may be some actual children. DH has not worn a dark suit in 15 years, if we go that route he may need one, too. The blazer and gray trousers may be the best bet, I guess. The invite did not specify dress because you can purchase a ticket just for the show, or the show and dinner, or the cocktails /show/ dinner. The people who are there for the show only won't be in evening attire, but some, if not many, of the others will be. Complicating the situation is my mother, who will undoubtedly make all the rest of us look like the dog's dinner, as she always does. She is one of those perfectly turned out women who manage to make everyone else look like orphans, lol, and not too much of an exaggeration!

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Is this a one-time only thing, or is it an annual event? If it's annual, try googling photos from last year and see if you can get a glimpse of what people were wearing! I will admit to doing this a couple of times myself...

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is a one-off, so presumably everyone else is as undecided as I am. That can only result in a wider range of attire, though :-)

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

The Irish Repertory Theatre has been doing an annual Benefit Gala/Concert for quite a few years - a different theme each year. I think it's usually in June - is that what you're attending? Why not call the theatre and ask someone? If you check their web site you'll probably find a name and number that you could contact.

• goldengirl327
    10 years ago

I recently attended a Monday night theater awards gala held New York, but it was held at a hotel, included a sit down dinner, and specified black tie. The majority of the women were in cocktail dresses. Since it was an annual gala, I confess that I also googled past events and found many images that helped me make my decision. It sounds like a wonderful event. Enjoy!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Fundraising, gala, new york....wear a black cocktail dress and you can't go wrong....if it's more formal, you'll still look good, and if it's less formal, you're not far off.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Perfectly said Annie! I agree. I had a neighbor once who said that she would rather be over dressed than under dressed for an occasion.
    I have also googled an event to check out what the women wore.
    You will look good, and your family too, by respecting the occasion. Yet, at any very large event, you will see a wide range from casual to more formal.
    The key too is that your dress fits well and is comfortable to wear. The shoes too!

• teacats
    10 years ago

Yes -- another vote for the black cocktail dress ... with a black suit for your husband ....

Please post photos too! :)

• goldengirl327
    10 years ago

Here's another vote for comfort dress/shoes, too. I know there has been much written about shoes, but FWIW, I recently purchased a pair of Anne Klein iflex kitten heels in the natural color and they have become my favorite, -comfortable- pair of dressy shoes.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, have followed suggestions and googled and also called person coordinating event. The rep does have an annual event but it moves around quite a bit in terms of venue and content--- every year is different, sometimes it's been a dinner dance at a hotel, sometimes a performance. This is the first year we've all been free to attend, so it's a first for us. Googling images is a wonderful idea and I am ashamed I did not think of it myself!

Festive attire is the only recommendation and person I spoke to is wearing a cocktail dress, so that is what I am going to do as well. DD anxious to go shopping and mother already has a beautiful green silk cocktail dress she plans to wear with a white evening coat.... She is way ahead of me, as you can tell. We're going up in three waves, due to schedules, and have managed to get four of six flights with ff miles, very surprising this close to time, so hooray for that :-) Hotel rooms booked, now just trying for Book of Mormon tickets for the Sunday before and make a few dinner reservations. I usually plan trips pretty far in advance so an event involving this many people less than a month away feels very last minute to me.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Relax, sounds like you have it pretty much under control! Hope you all have a great time.

• caminnc
    10 years ago

Might want to sick a pair of "Spare Soles" or other roll up shoes in your purse if you are wearing new shoes. Seems like somebody's feet are always killing them after hours. Sounds like you are well on your way to having everything planned. Hope you have a wonderful evening!!!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Sounds like so much fun! I think you sound as though you have it all under control and I know you will look great in whatever you decide to wear! Have a marvelous time!

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Oh that's wonderful that you'll have a whole week. I went up on Thursday for a day trip and it was glorious. The Circle Line tour boats and tour buses were out and it was a perfect day for walking around the city. It's been nearly a year since I was there and it's always so invigorating.

What other things have you planned for your week?

Here's a handy website that gives information about upcoming events in NYC. It's current and covers a wide range of 'things to do.'

Sounds like a great family trip.

http://www.timeout.com/newyork

Here is a link that might be useful: Timeout

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks :-) I am an obsessive trip planner and in the past have printed trip booklets with everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, anyone needed to know. We took 11 family members to NYC for a week at Christmas one year and I even put a list of clean public toilet locations in the trip book! This time I am insisting the others get the Tripit app so I can share the details that way.

Got great seats for Book of Mormon and Nice Work if you Can Get It, now trying to fit Assembled Parties in somewhere. Would like any recommendations for restaurants in the theater district, the only ones we have right now is Angus McIndoe, long time kid favorite that seems to be slipping lately, and Sardi's. Need two more dinners, everyone on their own for lunches.

Question--- I have never flown with champagne, but would like to take a special bottle with me to celebrate. Since I can't have it in my carryon, I'll have to pack it--- anyone ever done that? I rarely check luggage nowadays and wonder if it will be safe in bubble wrap and perhaps even a box?

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

If you buy it in the terminal you can carry it on board which might be the simplest.

My son frequently brings back wine from San Francisco in his luggage. I'll ask him if he has any tips. We brought one bottle back the last time we went and the winery packed it for us in a Styrofoam block that had been cut out to fit the bottle.

I

Here is a link that might be useful: packing wine

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It would def be easiest to buy once we are in NYC, I may end up doing that. But this is something particular I have been hoarding for years--- have about six bottles left, one is earmarked for ds2's college graduation and others available for engagements, lol. Having seen several family members and old friends pass away this year, I've lost the need to wait for an occasion more "special" than the one at hand, iykwim. Not necessarily carpe diem as much as 'what are you waiting for?'

• goldengirl327
    10 years ago

Carmine's and John's Pizzeria are both located on 44th. While I have been to Carmine's a few times--great Italian fare served family style-- I haven't been to John's. Neighbors of ours have been to John's and they said they enjoyed it -- it's housed in an old church, which they found added a bit to the experience. Capital Grille is over on 51st between 6th and 7th and Delfrisco's is on 49th and 6th. Those are both very convenient as well. For lunches we like to hit one if the many Irish pubs in the area, Junior's, or Cafe Duke (deli) over on 51st.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Goldengirl, have been to both John's and Carmine's when we lived there and took visiting relatives there, and not reallylooking for that type of place nor a chain. Our favorite Italian is Roberto Passon in Hells Kitchen, and would love to find other restaurants of the same quality and size. We're not necessarily looking to stay in the Broadway area for dinner. Just looking for something new, iykwim :-)

• goldengirl327
    10 years ago

Oops, sorry. I thought you were looking for theater district restaurants. In that case, have you tried One if by Land, Two if by Sea on Barrow Street?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I am in NYC once a week, and we go out to eat a fair amount there.

Not too far from the theatre district is Estatiorio Milos (probably spelled wrong). Greek food, mostly seafood, very fresh and very good, with a very airy atmosphere. I also like DB Moderne. Also Modern at the MOMA. Further afield I am a fan of BLT Fish. For special occasions, I am never disappointed in Le Bernardin, even if it is old school. I usually prefer seafood restaurants because I think I can get/make/have made excellent poultry and meat at home, but I find it hard to get the very best quality fish retail.

More casual: ABC Kitchen at ABC Carpet & Home (I'm assuming you will be there anyway!).

Cambodian sandwiches at Num Pang; two locations.

Of course my fave fave fave is not in city, but all serious foodies should add a pilgrimage here to their to do list: Blue Hill at Stone Barns. I've never been to their NYC "outpost", Blue Hill Farm, but I hear it is good.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I forgot to mention, getting reservations, especially for a party of 6, can be a real challenge.

Do your ever use "Open Table" where you are? It's free to join and most NYC restaurants use it. You can do a search for a restaurant of a certain type or quality in a certain area, for parties of six at a certain time. It saves a lot of time, so you just look into restaurants that can actually accommodate you.

The only downside is it scolds you if you try to double book. tsk tsk

• goldengirl327
    10 years ago

Great suggestion about open table. You might also want to check out savored.com which is a site for reservations and discounts at some wonderful restaurants, too.

This post was edited by goldengirl327 on Sun, May 19, 13 at 23:05

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great suggestions, I will see about One if by Land and the Greek restaurant, both sound good! Have used Open Table for several years and love it---it is invaluable when planning family trips especially. I like the security of a reservation!

I don't know if I will get to MOMa this time, I wanted to see the exhibit of politically influenced architecture and urban planning but have been totally turned off by the holier than thou video that begins by slamming ikea on Moma's website. It's just ridiculous. May just throw caution to the winds and shop the whole time instead. I am shallow, I find shopping culturally fulfilling, lol. Will undoubtedly end up at ABC but admit my favorite store is still Gracious Home. The Third Ave. location is just a few blocks from our old apt and I think I have spent more time there than any other store in NYC except the button store, which sadly has been gone from 61st St. (near Bloomingdales) for many years and I still miss it.

Have not been to Le Bernardin literally for 20 years! Have not been to the current incarnation of Le Cirque and thought that might be fun if I can talk anyone into going.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Tender Buttons closed?

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I assumed it closed because the last three trips it has been closed during hours it should have been open, and they didn't answer their phone, either. This was in October, December and June of three different years over a span of I guess four and a half years. I know the people who own and work there are cranky and temperamental, but surely they wouldn't just stop answering their phone, would they? After my last unsuccessful attempt several years ago I didn't go by it any longer, I was so sure they were out of business. Have you been recently? Are they still open to the public??

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Gracious Home was just around the corner from where DH grew up on 73rd btn 2nd and 3rd!

We recently went to Montebello for lunch and the food was wonderful...it's a real business lunch place....DH was about the only guy not in a tie. Haven't been there for dinner but we really enjoyed our meal and the wine was fabulous and the food was reasonably priced for NYC. It's on 56th street btn Lex and Park.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We lived on 70th and York, Annie, that's our old 'hood too :-) Will check out momtebello, thx for that recommendation. Rest of fam would prob eat at hotel for most meals so its up to me to find restaurants.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer