Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

sos!!!! need help with menu for tomorrows visitor brunch !

User
9 years ago

Help! We are hosting four singers from Russia who are singing with our local choral society tonight. They are on a month long tour of the southeast, and will be with us only one night. They are having dinner elsewhere, and after the concert we are all going out to our town's closest thing to a pub. So they will actually arrive at my house around 11 pm. I am to have a brunch for them tomorrow morning as they prepare to leave in the early afternoon for their next venue.

Somehow (how????) I missed in the email that one of the singers is a vegetarian who eats no fish, meat or eggs, but DOES eat dairy. Of course, my plan was to make an apple French toast dish that everyone loves from my trusty Neiman Marcus cookbook, served with bacon (both real and turkey) and fruit, and put up little snacks for them to take with them. Now.....

I feel I have lost all power of rational thought, they will be here tonight. My housekeeper who retired this past November would have already changed menu, purchased groceries and all would be in order. New housekeeper, while excellent, is not now and may never function at that level.

So, what "hot" dish can I serve the semi-vegan singer? Should I scrap the entire menu and do a buffet for them of breads, meats and cheeses and fruit, like a European hotel breakfast? Or that plus scrambled eggs for the others? Or something more brunchy? I have no idea when they will be up. Most performers keep unusual hours, and they've only been in the country about a week so it's possible their sleeping habits are still a bit eastern hemisphere-ish.

I need suggestions, please!

Comments (12)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Yes, you've got it right. Scrap the menu and do a buffet so it's ready for them whenever they are....croissants, muffins, breads, cream cheese and jelly, fresh fruit, yogurt, cold cereal with milk, offer to do eggs if they want them, juices, coffee and tea. If you want to be extra nice, go to the local diner and buy some home fries to reheat to serve with the eggs. You don't want to have to worry about keeping something hot, but if you feel a need to do so, then make steel cut oatmeal in the crock pot...you can add apples and cinnamon or other fruit if you wish to make it more special.

That way they have stuff to take with them to go if they wish and you accommodate everyone's dietary needs without driving yourself crazy.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Thu, May 1, 14 at 8:50

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

The other thing about a buffet is it will accommodate a variety of tastes. Otherwise, they could sit down to your meal and feel obligated to eat something they don't care for. Many europeans find our breakfast foods way too sweet.

I would totally do the European things of breads, meat, cheese, fruits, maybe "yoghurt" and meusli too. And bloody marys and mimosa!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I googled "vegan brunch recipes" and a bunch of stuff came up from allrecipes.com as well as other sites.....you could still do the menu you were planning and do a tofu scramble. There was also a vegan recipe for broccoli quiche. You could have granola and yogurt as well as home fries.

My son is vegan and it is always a challenge for me when he comes over so I feel your pain!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The one thing throwing me off is that, in their email to our director with their requests amd requirements, they specifically requested "a hot meal two and a half hours before the concert and the following morning."

I really hate to give them oatmeal and a lot of cold stuff since I do not know if the term "hot" pertains to the breakfast also.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OTOH maybe they are throwing that in to preclude sandwiches, it is their way of saying a substantial meal?

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I googled Russian breakfast and found this. Sounds like oatmeal or something similar might work for the vegetarian.

Here is a link that might be useful: Russian meals

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I would take it literally and have something warm, in addition. Quiches are easy and popular; try crustless since the crust is so often soggy on the bottom and adds so many calories to something that doesn't really need the crust for flavor IMHO

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Yes, it sounds like they are saying "hearty meal" so people don't do sandwiches for dinner or just cold cereal for breakfast.

I think the buffet makes sense and include your french toast dish, oatmeal, fruit, bagels, yogurt, etc. and you should be fine. Oatmeal, fruit, bagels and yogurt can be eaten by your vegetarian so you've got them covered. At least they eat dairy..that makes it a little easier. As long as there is a variety, everyone should be OK.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Well, if you want to make sure they have something hot to eat, how about a vegetable bread...our local pizza place makes a fabulous broccoli bread or spinach bread that is loaded with cheese and it's delish, with or without the tomato sauce.

I'm looking on line and it looks like Russians like dark rye...which I'm assuming is more like a pumpernickel bread.

But it also says that many Russians skip breakfast and go straight for lunch, which may be what they are planning if they are getting up late.

It also says they like sausages...so maybe do a crockpot of kielbasa and serve it with rye. Kielbasa goes with eggs too. (I slice it up on the diagonal and throw it in the crock pot with 9 oz of apple jelly and 4 oz of kosciusko mustard...stir it around and let it cook for a couple of hours....delish.)

That way you're covered.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update and thanks for the good suggestions I received here. I also did a bit of reading and taking everything into consideration, came up with the following:

Mini Croissants, regular and five grain
    Boars Head tavern ham, shaved
    Boars Head maple honey turkey, thinly sliced
    Condiments: several kinds of mustards, regular mayo and mayo with pesto, blueberry and raspberry/cranberry jams
    Capers, small dill pickles and sweet gherkins
    Plain and Vanilla yoghurt with organic granolas (plain and dried cherry and almond) and blackberries, blueberries and raspberries as available add ins
    Tart cherry scones and almond biscotti
    Blueberry muffins (not very sweet)
    Scrambled eggs

We had a variety of coffees, teas and hot chocolates for the kureig, and individual bottled juices in mango/banana, orange, blueberry blend, greens, etc., and fizzy and still water.

One guy got up early and I took him to the local track for a run. The others slept in and they ate around 11:15. Everyone ate some of everything, and I packed up a basket of goodies for their car trip. No one wanted any mimosas or my favorite pink champagne, as they were off to South Carolina where they had another performance the next day.

They were all lovely, all very accomplished operatic singers who attended the St. Petersburg Conservatory and absolutely delightful. They all wished they had known we had a tennis court because they all play, and we agreed the next time they come to town we will schedule a round robin tournament with local players.

Thanks again for the helpful suggestions! What, oh what would we do without our invisible friends at GW??

Edited for grammar, and happy Mother's Day everyone!

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, May 11, 14 at 10:57

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

So glad it worked out so well and that you enjoyed their visit. You were a most accommodating hostess!

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

nice feedback, they seem like a fine group indeed !!