Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gsciencechick

Help me pick a new hairstyle!

gsciencechick
10 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm turning 50 in a couple of weeks, and I NEED a change. I grew my bangs out a couple of years ago, but now that it is getting warmer, my hair is just too long, and I am sick of dealing with it. Some days it looks good, but most no. I am aiming for a chin-length bob. I do NOT want to go any shorter. My hair is fine and super straight. I don't want my photo so big, but when I resize it, it still looks the same. UGH.

Here is me, and here is the Pinterest board I started. Help please!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest Board

Comments (40)

• ellendi
    10 years ago

That is actually a pretty look for you, but, I see how you would want a change.
    I would recommend going to a very upscale hair salon. I use Frederick Fekaii. My hair is awful and I need all the help I can get.
    Use one of the more experienced stylists. I think you just need layers, but the same overall look. Interesting that the first thing that was done to me was to remove my bangs and I think that was a good idea.

• User
    10 years ago

I love your hair color! Do you blow dry and/or use a curling iron or flat iron? I have a chin length pageboy/bob cut which I blow dry upside down (head and hair down) then use a Chi flat iron to help lift the sections on top and curl the ends. I put my hair behind my ears either with a headband or reading glasses I park on top of my head. That gets the hair completely off my forehead as well. I am very unimaginative and have had the same style for decades, but it is easy. The current styles with little spikes or wisps of hair going in all directions, or with a ragged edge (that to me looks like the person was attacked with nail scissors) look good on some people, but don't suit me at all. Most hairstylists want to do what is new, whether it fits your age, style, and personality. Good luck --- post the results!

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. Kswl, that is exactly what I do! Dry upside down and flat iron. I just feel the length is too much and I want to cut it. Luckily, my hair grows super fast, so if I want it longer, no problem.

Stylist is suggesting side-swept bangs. I am on the fence. No bangs are easy, but as I get older, bangs hide your wrinkles. Luckily, I only have a few, but I do have an old scar and chicken pox mark from childhood on my forehead that I've had so long I don't even see them anymore. I've had in the past short little retro bangs, but I saw on this website that this is a style I should avoid. But I can actually wear this!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hair styles to avoid over 40

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

I wear a short, layered bob with bangs, and have been looking at lots of on-line haircuts. I prefer bangs that are jagged and kind of wispy that hang straight, not swooped to the side. Let me correct that - they kind of taper to the side away from the modified part, but not the type of swoop that lays flat to the forehead. I always have to remind my hairdresser that I don't want my bangs below my eyebrows. I am attaching a Pinterest link that has some cute bangs that I like which can look good with a short bob or stack, or with a longer chin length.

I have very fine hair and to get more volume, I need my hair to be somewhat stacked. Another trick is instead of a flat iron, I use a large (1-1/2 inch) curling iron. I let the curling iron kind of do a round, lifting motion near the top of my head and then slide it down the rest of the hair like you would a flat iron.

Looking forward to seeing you new style!

Here is a link that might be useful: Some cute bangs

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I think you would look good in a layered cut but if your hair is thin, that may not work. I have the "attacked with a nail scissors" (love that) look, but I have a lot of hair. It's easy because you can just mess up your hair and go, although I blow it out if I want to look On your Pinterest board. I like the medium length bob (third from left, top row, redhead). I think you would look good in bangs.

I find I also have to consider the shape of my head. Your hair is going to look different depending on your head -- if it's flatter in the back or if it is very round.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Since your hair grows quickly gsciencechick you could certainly experiment with a new shorter style. Perhaps a medium bob with side bangs would work. Bobs and pixies are supposedly "in" for summer! For what that's worth!

Very timely thread for me as I'm going for my last haircut before my trip in 2 weeks. I'm well over 40 and gave up my long hair a few years ago as I was tired of it and I think it's often aging. I use Jane Fonda's recent styles as my inspiration altho I like mine shorter. For a description I use pixie shag altho will have it done shorter this time. I also need new product as can't take my big can of mousse on the plane. I'll be looking for a new styling cream or wax and will ask my hairdresser for suggestions. Next 2 weeks will be hair styling experimentation as I don't plan to bring my curling iron so will use the hotel dryer and a round brush. Hopefully drying upside down with a shorter cut will work well altho I usually touch up with the curling iron so there's a learning curve ahead.

Tuesday, thanks for that Pinterest link, I've saved a couple of pics to show my hairdresser. I highly recommend bringing pics when one goes for a new style. Too difficult to explain otherwise.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I think at least a little bit of bangs, and a little bit of "mess" or texture, are helpful in looking a little more youthful. Hard to explain but I think anything too severe is aging, if that makes sense.

I have stick-straight hair too, and anything below chin length is too long for me. All the oomph (what little I have) disappears from my hair when it's too long. At the moment, I'm growing out a short cut, which I seem to do every few years, and I'm stealing some of those Pinterest pics!

I am obsessed with short bobs with interesting back views. I love a funky back-of-head look! You know, just a little edgy.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Rutt-roh, I think I'm violating once of those 7 style tips today, but not really on purpose. My hair is messy today since I embraced the curly look instead of fighting Mother Nature and the humidity and rain. It's leaning much more towards messy than jauntily curly but so be it.

I really like all the bobs on the Pinterest page. It looks like your hair is perfect for that look. I think a side swept bang would be nice.

Things to consider:
    Will wearing bangs drive you crazy in the heat of summer? I know some people can't stand hair touching their face when it's hot and humid.

If the sides are longer will they bother you if you can't pin them up and off your face?

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback.

Yes, with my hair being fine, too much layering doesn't work because we run out of layers, LOL. OTOH, having fine straight hair my hair is usually super shiny.

I have had bangs in the summer. If they really bother me, or for exercise, I put a clip in them and pin them to the side.

My haircut is scheduled for next Fri the 31st. I will also get color touch up, keeping that the same. She usually adds some highlights for summer.

The sides don't bother me that much. I just really hate having hair on my back neck.

This post was edited by gsciencechick on Thu, May 23, 13 at 12:55

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I think you need some lift on top and at least a little bit of bang.

Is a perm out of the question? Are there any casual pull up styles you like? I've seen a few of the sporty short bobs already. Did take note because I really like them and have always wanted one but it's a drag when everyone gets the same style!

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Fromm your Pinterest page, second row, far right. I think you need to drop your part farther down, (at least start it lower then angle it more towards the middle), wispy bangs and shorter layers. I don't think you need a choppy cut but more movement would be good.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Agree with dlm. Part on the side with bangs would look very nice, I think.

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks. Like what sueb20 said, my hair loses "oomph" when it is too long because it gets weighed down. That's why I want to cut it. Looks good when professionally styled. Remember the thread awhile back when people said they don't like their hair when they leave the salon, but I DO!

My hair wants to part naturally off-center, but I can change it no problem.

This post was edited by gsciencechick on Thu, May 23, 13 at 14:49

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I am a hair stylist and this is my suggestion, you have incredible cheekbones and good bone structure. It's being hidden by your hair so you need to choose a style that will highlight your lovely jaw and those cheekbones. I've attached a site. Click on the photo shown and then go to the one below it. You could wear that style which would mean a little cutting but would still read as long hair. Notice how it showcases her bone structure. You can always wear it wavy for special occasions like the photo above it. It will require a tiny bit of stacking which is very close layering like splaying the pages in a book. That makes for more volume and I'd recommend a spray on root booster which you apply onto each section of hair you're going to dry. Aim it at the roots and move your arm to do the whole scalp area show. This will give you the fullness you desire to look like you have double the hair. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: hair options

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

That's what they said about Michelle Obama when she started sporting her new bangs...after 40 it's either bangs or botox!

:)

I think you would look good with bangs as you have a higher forehead (as do I) and bangs are more flattering, and bangs really bring attention to your eyes, which are lovely.

The straight across harsh bangs are not flattering in the bad hairdos link, but the longer and rounded bangs would be very flattering. But don't cut them too long so they hang in your eyes...if they are too annoying, you won't want to keep them. Also side parts tend to be more flattering than center parts.

{{gwi:1507279}}

• User
    10 years ago

i definitely agree with having bangs. I think you would look great with the third hairstyle (cute short hair).

• theroselvr
    10 years ago

I agree with bangs; either straight or ones you push to the side. How do you feel about growing it a few inches longer?

What type of hair do you have? My hair is fine & pin straight; doesn't hold a curl. About the only thing mine will do is keep a slight bend after using a round brush

Let me know if you like the size of the pic below; the size is jpg" width="305" height="300"> You can go to the link below to see where I got it from. There is a button that says "try it yourself" where you can play with the size. The width is a little bigger then the height on your original. I'll edit my version when I know you've resized yours.

I love the shape of this one but not the length

Another HTML code site

Here is a link that might be useful: HTML code

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Can I relate! I had hair about your length about a month ago, and one night when I couldn't sleep, took a pair of scissors to it. It not the first time i've cut my own hair. It's also fine, and I think it's not as apt to screw up a cut, especially when it's blunt cut rather than layered. I need to get it foiled(blonde), so will have my stylist make 'corrections'.

I love Ellen Barkin's style! It's very similar to Ashlee Simpson's, third from right, second row, but one side behind the ear. I also think a bang or 'pseudo' bang(side swept)is a young(but not too!)updated version of the classic bob. I've always wondered if it was higher foreheads that gave some stylist the inspiration for bangs to begin with. Thank goodness! I look horrible w/o them. ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: hair style

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

Do you have an angled bob right now, or is it the same length all around? For summer, think about having the back as short as what would not be too short for your taste, then have a graduated cut to the front to get the length in the front, where you see it. Picture a tiny hula-hoop around your neck with the front edge of the hoop tilted down slightly.

I like the first photo that roselvr posted, and I'm sure I've walked into a salon more than once in the past couple of years with a magazine page showing something very similar. The stylist cuts and styles it, with product, then after a day or two I start pushing all the razor-cut pieces behind my ears because I can't stand them in my eyes and near my mouth. Never fails. I just don't remember fast enough the "cons" to that style (for my life--YMMV!)

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the compliments on my eyes and cheekbones!

My hair is the same length all around, so it is quite long in the back.

Yaya, thank you. I like those photos of Catherine Bell with the straight look (added those to the Pinterest page). It takes a lot of work to get my hair curled. Between it being so straight and fine and the humidity here, I remember it looking like that once for a wedding for about an hour before it all unwound! For my wedding almost 7 years ago, I grew it out a little longer than what I had now, but I had a French twist updo to avoid the droop! My hair was set on hot rollers, back-combed, and had literally 50 bobby/hairpins in it, but it looked fabulous.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Those side-swept bangs are lovely in photo, but in reality, they require a great deal of head flipping or swiping as they are always in your face and in your eyes. For some, I guess they get used to it, but for others, (me included) it would be a chronic annoyance.

Not an issue for me any longer as my hair has gone curly, esp in this humidity....I'm more sporting the ever attractive and classic Harpo Marx look! Yikes!

• User
    10 years ago

Dedtired, you are lucky you can pull off the nail scissors look--- or maybe I am lucky I can not, because I would probably be at my own hair with nail scissors, lol!

I think this look could be adapted to fit your face shape, gscience:

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

You already look like an "after" photo . . .and are you sure you meant to type a "5"? I think it should be a "3"!

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Anele! Yep, is the big 5-0.

Kswl, your photo did not come through.

Well, today is the big chop, so I will get a photo either later today or tomorrow.

• judiegal6
    10 years ago

Just a little shorter than you have now, with bangs.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Wow, Judiegal, for a minute I thought that WAS gsciencechick's after photo!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Me too sueb! Can't wait for the big reveal!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

We're waiting.............(^_^)

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, everyone, I had family coming into town, so I was not near my computer last night.

I'm pretty happy with it. We went with the side-swept bang. I'll go to spin in a bit, so I will pin them back.

Not the greatest pics, so here you go:

{{gwi:1507284}}

{{gwi:1507286}}

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Nice...the back looks very neat and modern!

• User
    10 years ago

Lovely! Not a radical change but a beautiful update. Oh no, I am making you sound like a kitchen remodel--- that comes from hanging out on GW too long... But I really like it :-)

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, kswl. Yeah, we thought about a shorter bang, but maybe next month. I do feel better getting the hair off my neck though since summer seems to have arrived!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I like it too!

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can also play around a bit with the part if I want more drama.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

Looks good! Though I can't see any bangs in these photos.

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is more of a longer bang on the other side.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

very nice !!

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Love the new cut. My only suggestions would be to deepen the part to the side a little more, then get the bangs more wispier/choppy. That can add a lot of drama with little effort. And one thing I noticed as prevalent in the pinterest board is that nearly every hair color had highlights-as MUST to add depth and dimension, especially for fine, straight hair.

I only WISH my hair were so straight. It used to be, but now it's so dang poofy. Not curly, not frizzy, just poofy-very full of body and poofy. I want my hair to look like it did in 1994 again...my DD said my hair looked like a Pantene ad. (My DH had awesome hair back then, too!)

• User
    10 years ago

It looks very nice! I'd consider shortening the bangs a little and deepen the part.

Pesky - Love that photo!

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I deepened the part after I washed it, and I like that look, too. I will probably go for a shorter bang and have her add some foils next month. My hair grows incredibly fast, so I will be back before I know it.

LOL, my new license photo arrived today with my longer hair, so it already doesn't look like me.