Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Fascinating

Oakley
10 years ago

Pictures taken of four sisters every year. Wow!

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Sisters

Comments (20)

• User
    10 years ago

Wonderful--- on many levels. Thanks for posting this, oak!

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Interesting. Only one slight smile in all those pics.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

That was fascinating. I have five sisters, wish we had done that.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

How extraordinary they managed every year : and they basically do not "pose" prettily for the camera, they stare at it with a semi serious to serious look, I like that, it allows us to see the differences better, as they age.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Captivating images....

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting this.

ML

• User
    10 years ago

Wonderful . There were lots of smiles...if you look at the eyes and the general facial expressions. I was amazed at some of the comments at the link after the pics ... many were unable to really see the women in the photos. Thank you for sharing this Oakley ! c

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I really enjoyed that too. The comments are out of order, imo. These are staged photographs taken a year apart, the lack of smiles is very much a part of the staging/posing. There are probably dozens of photos taken each year where they are cracking up, but for continuity's sake, the solemn look is the posted photo.
    I liked seeing the clothing and hairstyle changes too.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mimi and Laurie seem to have changed the most over the years.

Just curious, were you drawn to a certain sister like I was? For me it was Mimi.

One thing I did notice that all of the sister's have, is even in the little smiling pictures, none of them were born with smiling eye's.

But the photographer(s) did a great job posing them.

• User
    10 years ago

I did not even look at the comments until some of you mentioned them....whoa! There's a lot of, er, baggage in those comments. The over interpretation of images seems rampant--- first, the sensitive photog and now the self-proclaimed curators of that remarkable exhibit of sisters.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

that's a very cool thing to do!! i don't know what the big deal about not smiling for the photographer is- they posed similarly every year on purpose i'm sure... i think it's so funny that some of the comments expressed that the sisters aren't happy people because they weren't smiling for the camera!!! odd presumption!
    i personally hate pictures of myself when i'm not smiling (for grad pics and wedding pics the photographer always tells you to not smile for some...) so i would have insisted (if that was my bil) that we take smiling pics! lol
    bebe clearly looks like she's the oldest, than mimi (she all of a sudden really aged!) then it's a toss up for the age order of the other two... i guess laurie is probably the youngest.....

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

That is amazing - quite an unhappy looking bunch though.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

Neat!

• covingtoncat
    10 years ago

photos have been removed. Bummer!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

No small wonder looking through the comments.

• mary_lu_gw
    10 years ago

Just go to Google and search on Brown Sisters and you will get a lot of hits. I do not think the photos are sad. Somber, as posed in some, but others do show a hint of a smile.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Here's something on the artist. I thought they looked like New Englanders. Anyone else?

Here is a link that might be useful: artist statement

• nicoletouk
    10 years ago

Try this link...

Nicole

Here is a link that might be useful: Brown Sisters on perthnow.com

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

That last one was so touching.

I am going to do this with my girls!

• joanie_b
    10 years ago

I don't think the photos are sad at all, they look content to me and comfortable in each other's presence.

Everyone is so used to the affected, look at me, overly whitened, toothy smiles that so many seem to favor these days, especially on FB.

I think they're meant to be portraits that convey how these women actually look/looked without affectation.