Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Runninginplace....Books

Oakley
9 years ago

I just finished reading Mantel's two books. Excellent! I don't know why I put them off for so long, I thought they were biographies and I wasn't all that interested.

I tell ya though, it took about a 100 pages for me to get used to Mantel's first person writing style. I read first person all the time, but this one threw me for a loop. lol.

I still don't understand why the first book was called "Wolf Hall," but it is a clever name, especially at the very end.

I didn't know Cromwell was so sinister! I was very upset to read in the Author's Notes how she deliberately left out the lady (I forget her name) who was much to blame for ratting on Anne, and she instead kept with the popular belief it was all Jane Rochford's fault. I really felt cheated.

I hope she's busy on Book Three! Next up, "The Hltons." lol.

Comments (4)

• duvetcover
    9 years ago

From Wikipedia - explains Wolfhall ...
    Wolf Hall (2009) is a multi-award winning historical novel by English author Hilary Mantel, published by Fourth Estate, named after the Seymour family seat of Wolfhall or Wulfhall in Wiltshire. Set in the period from 1500 to 1535, Wolf Hall is a fictionalised biography documenting the rapid rise to power of Thomas Cromwell in the court of HenryÃÂ VIII through to the death of Sir Thomas More.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

Oakley, I'm so glad you enjoyed the books. It's always a bit risky recommending something, because of course everyone's taste is so different. However given your passion for the Tudors and that historical period I felt pretty safe in suggesting them. Hilary Mantel is working on the third of what will be a trilogy, can't wait for that one too.

And your response is a great illustration of why I am passionate about reading: there are SOOO many wonderful books out there. I really do feel as if there are thousands...millions of treasures waiting for me to read them.

You just have to pick up a book, or fire up a reader, crack open to the first page and whammo! you are in the midst of some other place or time, or experiencing someone's story and thoughts about their life, or learning something fascinating, or laughing, or being prodded to think. A good book takes you on a journey without ever leaving the comfort of your reading spot. When my kids were little I read to them every night and I always had a phrase as we lay down and opened the book 'let's see what happens in here'.

And of course that's the joy of the 'recommend a good book' conversations be they online or in a book club or just between friends!

Ann

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Neighbor, I know that. I just finished reading the book. But Wolfhall didn't play a role in the book until the last sentence.

Ann, I thought I read about all I wanted to read for that period in time, but I'm really glad I didn't stop.

The past year or so I've been reading about the War of the Roses which is just as fascinating, if not more so, than the Tudors.

I really really REALLY wish someone would make a movie about Katherine of Aragon. I found her life to be more fascinating than Anne B's.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Oakley - this isn't exactly a film about Katherine of Aragon - but there is a 7 minute you tube video.

And Cromwell, the Lord Protector was a fascinating character - ruthless and Machiavellian to the core.

Here is a link that might be useful: you tube

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!