Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zen4d

OT: How would you accessorize this dress?

zen4d
9 years ago

I never thought I would post this question here, but I noticed it's been done before so thought I would give it a try.

I am going to a military ball next week and am wearing this dress. It fits perfectly and is flattering on my figure. I'm thin 5'4" I bought the dress a while ago but neglected to buy the clutch I had in mind, which is now sold out. So questions:
What type/color clutch?
No necklace; correct?
Earrings - I'm thinking drop earrings. I have gold or pearl drop earrings. Or diamond studs.

p.s. The dress is not as pinky as when the model is walking. It's more like a pink/beige that you see in the side photo. On me the dress fits almost like the second picture down.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aidan Mattox dress

Comments (28)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Lovely dress. I'm envious if it looks on you like it does the model!

Just be sure to wear a slip with it....even in the rear view of the model pic you can see her legs outlined through the dress.

Do you have shoes? What did the clutch you had in mind look like?

Also do you have long or short hair? Do you wear glasses?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Hmmm when I click the link it tells me it's broken.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Pretty dress!

Agree with no necklace, drop earrings, no firm idea about a clutch. What type of clutch were you considering? Shoes?

If the sleeves are that long on the 5'10" model, are they okay on you? I have short arms so sleeves always need alteration. You could push the sleeve up and hold it with a rubber band concealed under the excess fabric. Tacky but it works in a pinch or for beaded dresses that can't easily be altered.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Pretty make-up and brighter lipstick then the model is wearing.

ML

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I don't know how high you want your heels but this pair from Nina are reasonably priced.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heels

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

This clutch in platino would look great with the champagne Nina shoes or if you choose to go silver they have both the bag and shoes in silver.

Here is a link that might be useful: clutch

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I also found clutches at Neiman Marcus that I loved but holy cow you could redecorate a room with some of the prices that they want for a tiny clutch. Macy's always has reasonably priced items so that would be a good place to look and where I found the shoes and clutch that I posted. Zappos also has a great selection.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like the clutch at the bottom of holly-kay's page.

Agree, no necklace.

Drop earrings.

The lining of this clutch is red, so maybe a lipstick leaning toward red?

Here is a link that might be useful: clutch

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Pretty dress but if the sleeves are too long, no rubber bands with a sequin dress like this. Either have them altered or wear something else. There are other beautiful dresses out there.

I would not wear a textured shoe with the textured sequin dress, but a metal with a plain texture. The same designer has a pair of shoes that I mention on the same page, just in a plain matte metal finish.

Clutch should match shoes in this case. You could also wear nude shoes with this dress. If you have great suntanned legs, no nylons, please. Great toe polish and matching nail color.

Earrings (either dangle or not, but if they dangle keep it simple) would be fine and if you must wear something at the neck make it a short 15-inch chain with a diamond, small cross or pearl.

You can wear a simple earring and no necklace with a diamond line bracelet. Otherwise, do keep it simple. Let your smile and manners be your jewelry.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Btw, that clutch - in some pics, it looks gold. In the sideways pic, it looks silver. Make sure of any color before you buy!

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I'd choose matching colors in the shoes and clutch and keep it simple. I'd wear stud diamonds and no other jewelry. It's a beautiful dress.

• User
    9 years ago

I love this Christian Louboutin clutch that is $800. If you look closely, the bow is fairly unstructured. I think this is something that a crafty person could do herself with the right weight of quality satin on a purchased satin clutch.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

No necklace, drop earrings, nude shoes/sandals. You can add a splash of color if you want with the clutch....or go champagne....either way you will look great...very pretty dress.

• brit5467
    9 years ago

My two cents....I like the 'strappy-ness' around the ankles of shoes on dress model. With dress being so simple (not fussy) I feel the 'weight' of the shoes adds balance to the whole look.

Bonnie

• zen4d
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is amazing, sort of like having a room full of friends helping you accessorize.

I do have the shoes. A high heel beige patent pump, which works nicely. So the look from head to toe is really beige/blush and it's soft but with something with zing, the sequins. Oh, no, there's no problem with the sleeve! I happen to have long arms and the dress fits perfectly. The dress is not snug in any place or too big in any place. I was surprised since I ordered it online. i was thinking of a champagne colored clutch or this one.
    Holy Kay, that's a nice clutch; will take another look.
    Tib - the stripe at the bottom is not working for me.
    ksw- while i like the Christian Louboutin, I think the dress and the clutch would compete. And the cost is not what I wish to spend, at least for this event. I'll see if there is another color but then again don't want to spend that much.

the clutch I had in mind was the first image that pops.

Here is a link that might be useful: clutch i had in mind - like the price

This post was edited by zen4d on Sat, May 10, 14 at 12:48

• zen4d
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Do you like this clutch for the dress?

Here is a link that might be useful: from one of my pinterest pages

• zen4d
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here's another I like but too expensive for this occasion but would love a cheaper version. I used to have a bff who loved to accessorize me. He had a very similar bag that I would always borrow (it used to belong to his mom.)

Here is a link that might be useful: gold clutch

• zen4d
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, just noticed Annie's question. I'm a brunette, long hair.

• debo_2006
    9 years ago

I think you need a pop of color somewhere within the look. If everything matches, it just blends entirely too much, including matching close to the skin if you do not have a darker complexion. I'd put the color either in the clutch (though you won't be carrying that every moment) or the earrings - a drop down earring with a bolder stone that will get noticed, but not too large. Just my two cents. If you do it right, you can even do a color pop in both, if they are similar in color.

• zen4d
    Original Author
    9 years ago

good advice, debi

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Love, love, love the clutches you showed, zen. First one looks silver in color, though. Third - yowza re: the price.

Second is perfect!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Don't think she needs a pop of color in a cocktail dress of this magnitude. I think it is its own pop! The clutch can be the statement piece.

• zen4d
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patricia43 - On second thought, I agree with you and it's my natural inkling not to go too over the top - just a wee bit over the top with the sequins. debi- I do love contrasting things with pop of color, especially clutches, but I am thinking the sequins may be enough pop and I'll have to subdue this look, especially considering the occasion.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Hmmm. I'm resistant to more bling as there's so much in the dress already, but if this matches the color of the dress, it just might work. (Anastasia hard case clutch).

Maybe something in a patent leather nude to go with your shoes might work.

Or this Sasha Satin Evening Clutch

If you have long hair then drop earrings and no necklace would be great.

• luckygal
    9 years ago

I'm curious to know if you are aware if there is a dress code for this military ball?

While it's been years since DH retired from the mil, every ball we attended was formal with long dresses. I've been to many and a short dress would not have been proper.

However, things may be different now but it might be an idea to check.

That's a lovely dress and if you plan to wear silver shoes as the model does, a silver clutch would be appropriate.

• zen4d
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I could have sworn this post was deleted yesterday afternoon. Maybe it was moved to another forum??

Annie - all nice clutches. One of the Sasha's might work.

Luckygal - yes, there are various balls. For this one, the dress will be fine as long as I keep the look elegant.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

Your post was moved to the Conversations side, now it's not OT.

I like the elegance of the light colour from head to toe,
    no pop of colour, looks great !!!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Zen, that dress is just wowzer, sexy yet elegant! Love it! I agree with those who would just go with the light color, including the clutch and just wear drop earrings. I also like the Sondra Roberts box clutch ($88) on the Nordstrom page or the 3rd one Annie posted by Sasha.

I think what kswl was trying to say was that you could take a very plain satin clutch and amp it up with a large wide bow, similar to the expensive Louboutin bag.