Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswl2

Anyone Had a Rotator Cuff Repair?

kswl2
9 years ago

So I am in an outpatient room waiting for an IV and surgery to repair a rotator cuff injury and bone spur. The orthopedist said he had the same surgery and was at home three days on medication, then back to the office, and the entire recovery time was about three months. That didn't sound so bad, but I found out he is an iron man triathlete, and my recovery is very unlikely to duplicate his own.

Have any women GWers around my age (57, or any age, really) had this surgery? I would love some examples of actual recovery times. Unfortunately this is my left shoulder and I am left handed, so I won't be writing for about a week, i guess. The surgery is performed under general anesthesia and with a scalene block of the arm and shoulder.

Any tips or tricks, suggestions for post surgery survival with one arm?

Comments (12)

• momtoollie
    9 years ago

I fell off of a ladder about 6 years ago and landed on my left rotator cuff. Had to have plate and pins to repair. The surgery wasn't too bad, I did have to wear an immobilizer for about 6 weeks. The key to regaining mobility is a rigorous pt program post op. I worked really hard and regained 100% mobiity, but it was hard work. My physical therapist was wonderful and I really worked hard using a pulley at home as well. My best advice - get some camisoles because putting on a bra is very tough! Good luck, I wish you well.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

Oh, my sympathies! I had a bad tear that I lived with for a few years until it got so I couldn't stand it. It was my right side, and I'm right handed.

The surgery was in mid-October 2012, and I went back to work part time in December 2012. I key a lot and I had to buy a track ball mouse, which allowed me to use just my hand, rather than shoulder to push a mouse around. I still use it.

I was advised to spend at least the first week sleeping sitting up in a recliner. Didn't have one, so bought a nice electric one from CL as all recliners that I could rent had the handle on the right side.

I couldn't start PT until 6 weeks after the surgery, and went 3x a week for a few months.

Wore that immobilizer sling when I left the house, and a woman in a store stopped me one day and asked, 'Rotator Cuff?' When I said yes, she said that she would rather give birth all day long than go through that again!

Depending on how bad your tear is, YMMV!

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    9 years ago

My friend had rotator cuff surgery. She says physical therapy was very helpful. She was about 60 at the time.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

DH had shoulder surgery. PT was essential. In his case, it was more painful after surgery and it took several weeks for it to improve beyond pre-surgery pain. It took months though before the pain disappeared. Now it's as good as new.

But each person is different, each injury is different and each recovery is individual. Best thing is not to assume the worst and be positive about the outcome.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

My dad had the surgery at about age 80, a friend had it at about 45 and I know numerous people at my gym who have had it. The one common denominator among all their different circumstances and ages is physical therapy and the necessity to do the homework and exercises at home if you want continual progress and a full recovery. Good luck and stick to it!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Awwww. I have no information of any use. But I did want to say, good luck, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Not me but my DD had it a couple of years ago, and she is an ER nurse and also a tri-athlete (now 43). Do the re-hab and do the exercises at home just like the PT tells you. Use the thera-band to stretch as much as you can and don't be afraid to take the pain meds, especially the first few days. There was one movement in the range-of-motion that is the last to return; be patient and work on it.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

My daughter had both sides done as an outpatient within 6 weeks of each. Same block as mentioned. A go home IV which was patient removable.

She was fishing and gardening the 4th week. For some reason the second surgery was more painful during recoup and far more bruising. But healing was the same. She made sure to use her arms as best as possible without damaging results and also had PT through a friend of hers. Against my thinking, she returned to work a week after surgery. Again, knowing what was best in using her arms.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Best of luck to you and wishing you a speedy recovery! Keep us posted, when you can. I'll be thinking about you!

tina

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Best of luck to you and wishing you a speedy recovery! Keep us posted, when you can. I'll be thinking about you!

tina

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Sending you best wishes for a smooth surgery and speedy recovery.

I need to have my left shoulder repaired, but I've been avoiding it so I'll be reading this thread with interest.

• ms-thrifty
    9 years ago

I have had tears repaired on both -1st one was able to do it with scope. My shoulder was frozen, painful and much reduced mobility prior to surgery. After almost no pain from day 1, except at physical therapy and exercising but after almost 3 mos of the PT had about 90% rotation. few years later the left one and that tear was extensive so had to do regular surgery. Lucky the cuff was not completely detached, but recovery was longer. Lots of pain prior, and pain meds for a few days after. Had arm in sling for about a week, then 3 mos of PT again. I again have about 95% rotation and was pain free after the 3 mos of PT. Glad I had them done as in both cases the before pain was way worse than anything after the surgeries.