Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

6 Weeks to Fitness: Week #5

anele_gw
9 years ago

One month done, and two weeks to go!

It's amazing . . . I started off thinking that I would be happy if I got more than 3 days in (my record!) when we started and now I can't imagine not exercising! I feel better on days I do. It really affects me in so many ways-- I've noticed that I don't notice my knees in normal activity. It's hard to believe that just four weeks would make a difference, but they have. I hope I can keep this motivation, so I guess it will be a matter of expanding what I do, learning, and trying new things.

I found a site that has exercises you can incorporate into daily life. I am sure some are more "obvious" than others, but maybe some of the discreet ones would work! From what I've read, the most common mistake people make is "only" exercising once per day when it should be to move throughout the day.

Has anyone used them? (Link below)

How is everyone else doing? I couldn't work out today (company) but I did on Sat which I don't have scheduled. Will be tough since we are traveling this week, but I think it's really just one day that I will miss, and I'm sure we will do a lot of walking anyway. (I hope!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Nano Workout

Comments (10)

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

I was one of the first ones to chime in on your original challenge post but life got in the way !! I am moving today and have been travelling, so many details to take care of.

I exercised moderately with shorter workouts but had to skip many days. I do read the thread though and am motivated by all your good efforts !!!! keep it up !!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Oh I don't want to check in today. I knew it was going to be a rough week and it was...haven't even been doing my planks or squats. Haven't even been weighing myself. I could make a zillion excuses, but the primary one rests squarely on me...I didn't make it priority.

This week should be better and hopefully I'll get back into rhythm again.

I have to admit that the other day, we had pancakes for breakfast (whole grain with fresh fruit) and I felt lousy and logy all day! It's amazing how much energy I get from my green smoothies. Of course, since I was feeling lousy, I kept eating lousy which reinforced it...all the way through to my wine before dinner....

Why is it we know better but do it anyway?
    Sigh.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Happy to be still at it! I feel so much better on my workout days. I abandoned the book I was using, mostly because the exercises got a little more complicated than I was comfortable with. So I'm puttering along, trying some different weights, different exercises and having fun.

I haven't had any results as far as weight loss, and my thyroid blood tests came back fine. I may call my doc for a consult...

Annie...I ask myself that all the time!
    Beth P.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Hmmm the best made plans . . . .

I have not followed through with my plan at all. The stretches have gone out the window! HOWEVER, I have been very active, just not the activities I planned. So many activities this time of year, thankfully many involve getting outside and moving more!

So, I'm going to try to be mindful to just keep moving. I do want to incorporate the stretches!! And I have another thing I want to include. We live up a hill and I want to make it a point to walk down that hill and back up - at least three times a week. Daily would be great but I will start off aiming for 3 times a week. I need more hills in those walks LOL.

tina

• bpath
    9 years ago

Not so good on workouts, but getting my walks in. Walking on the beach works muscles you wouldn't think you need there, just to adjust your balance on the sand shifting underfoot! And does hoisting stuff for the church rummage sale count? So I've been moving and working and doing my balance and stretch exercises, but not the planks or fitness center. I need to go!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Whoo Hoo!! Ran the 10k Cotton Row Run yesterday and finished with a decent time (for me anyway)! And I feel good today so that is even better. No soreness, which I attribute not only to good training, but also to the stretches I've been doing before and especially after the running. My DD and DGD ran the 5k and I'm so proud of them! DGD killed it and was 10th in her age group out of 52 in that group. She is 14 and ran it in just over 29 minutes which I thought was really great for her first 5k. My time for the 10k was 78 minutes which isn't a barn-burner by any means, but keep in mind it was very, very hot, sunny, and humid, even at 7 am when we started. The first half of this course is a gradual uphill climb, with a quarter mile hill just before the 3 mile point that is so unbelievable that almost everyone walks up it. Then the last 2.8 miles or so is mostly downhill which is a relief but still by then you're zapped. The 5k course isn't so bad.

Now on to the next great challenge, which is to keep running in our summer heat and humidity. Most of the races around here in the summer are 5k races until September. Too hot and dangerous. Our running group has a get-together this evening at a local watering hole...should be fun and I've met some great new friends and running buddies I hope to see again on the trails. There is also a group that runs trail runs on Tuesdays, 1-3 miles, from now thru October, so that is a good thing to do.

Anele, so glad you are noticing progress. Normally you'll notice some change in 2 weeks and big changes in 4 weeks, so am really happy for you that you've stuck to your plan. Hope you have a wonderful vacation and can work in some exercise, even in 10-15 minutes here and there per day, to keep it going. I've read that those intervals do just as much good as long workouts.

Oh yes, forgot to mention...I treated myself to a day off today and had a massage. Sometimes you just have to do things for yourself as I'm sure you've all figured out. We had the family over for dinner last night and celebrated DH's birthday too. So it was good to have another day to recuperate after a busy weekend!

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

I've not checked in for a couple of weeks, but based on my activity monitor I've done much better than what I was previously . I do get regular workouts, it's the daily activity I really need.

Since I had to go to campus often, I usually take advantage of our wonderful pool and do some water aerobics and water jogging.

• awm03
    9 years ago

Spin class today. I didn't feel like going because of hard workouts Sun., Mon., & Tues., but, as is always the case, I'm glad I went. Tomorrow is a day off.

Many, many, many times I have felt like not exercising. But once I get going, I never regret it.

Outsideplaying, yippee!! How wonderful that you were pleased with your time *and* that you weren't sore the next day! That is good training -- congrats on that. Your running at your age (forgive me for saying that!) is so inspiring, and your joy is catching.

I'm 59, my spin instructor is 62. We were discussing in class once how we are pioneers, in a way, because previous generations didn't exercise, and therefore, we have no role models for exercising into old age. So we don't know what's down the pike for us really, what kind of exercise intensity we'll be able to maintain, or whether aging joints will slow us down, or exactly what benefits we will reap or not reap. We just know that exercise benefits us now, and that we'll keep at it for as long as we are able.

I'm convinced that the few times I've fallen, exercise has given me the strength & agility to break the fall & has made my connective tissues strong enough to take the blow. Two years ago during a bike ride across Iowa I fell sideways right onto my shoulder. No damage to the shoulder joint or tissue, though I was black & blue for 6 weeks. I'm sure it was because the kettlebells have made all that connective tissue and muscle thick and strong and protective.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I totally believe what you say is true, awm, about our current generation being much more fit than in previous times. No apology necessary! I'm sure you are right about falling too. I had a nasty fall a few years back (our 90-lb dog knocked me for a loop). Ended up with a cracked rib and a bruised hip and shoulder but it could have been much worse.

Bravo to all for staying with it, and even when we don't always feel like it, we get back out there and do something.

• User
    9 years ago

WOW!! Just read back over all the threads. Anele you really have started the most amazing odyssey-" a series of experiences that give knowledge or understanding to someone"..and here I am going on an odyssey too..an adventure.

It is wonderful that everyone has inspired each other so completely. I know there have been other threads in this vein but this one seems to have really hit a note of inspiration .

There is nothing like support to keep one going . I look forward to contributing and hope you will add on to this after the 6 weeks.

Congratulations to all that have participated.. I wish I had seen this weeks ago. c