Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Don't know whether to laugh or cry...

neetsiepie
10 years ago

Memorial Day weekend has not been so good to me. 14 years ago Monday my Dad passed away. 12 years ago I was in a major car accident that left me with permanent injuries. This weekend, my MIL is in the process of dying. And today-well-this is where I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

I was alone in the back yard with the dogs, didn't have my cell phone with me-uncharacteristic-it's always on me. I took a seriously bad fall. I fell on my butt, without any thing to break my fall. I also hit my left shoulder on the house wall, and conked my head on the wall. I grayed out for a moment, then was in such excruciating pain, I couldn't breathe.

Naturally, I was without a phone. It took me almost 15 minutes to get up off the deck and into the house and I managed to get to the ER-where DH met me (I should not have driven myself, but we're only a couple miles away and he was already there, I reasoned.)

I have cracked my tail bone, cracked two ribs on my right side, have bad contusions & scrapes on my left shoulder blade, a mild concussion and 2 fractured vertebrae in my back. My neck is now also hurting. At the ER they gave me two pain shots and then 2 vicodin. Orders to stay off my feet for a week, then limited duty at work. I'm to follow up with my PCP next week and may need to see a neurologist about my back.

I'm home now-some pain, bearable, but I'm worried that with all the pain meds they gave me I can still feel this pain. I'm going to go lay down in bed (lying helps for now). I can walk ok, just very woozy. I'm sure that tomorrow I'll really be hurting.

So yeah, I think I'm going to stop celebrating Memorial Day weekend. Except it's my DD2 and my son-in-law to be's birthday celebration weekend (May 30 is their big day).

Because I was in the ER at the hospital Mom is at, I did get visits from family-so that was nice. Even my ex-SIL-who made me nuts visited, more than I can say about my current SIL-who wouldn't even speak to me when they brought me to Mom's room. It's ok, I know who loves me!

Comments (46)

• User
    10 years ago

I'd say laugh but with cracked ribs it might hurt. I think I'd have a nap and pretend it was a bad dream. Except you will prolly have pain in the morning too. Definitely skip memorial day weekend celebrations maybe change the name and see if you can fool it next year. Hope you get well soon. PS I hope they had a look at the head injury too can't be too careful in that regards my mom had a fall last year and had complications.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Jeeeezzz Pesky!!!!!!

Take care of yourself!! We've got lots of ROCKIN' to do!!

I'm so sorry you're going thru all this...I'm thinking of you!

Faron

• golddust
    10 years ago

Oh Pesky!! When it rains, it pours! I am so sorry!!! Take care of yourself and I second the idea to make sure your noggin is OK.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

Oh my stars, Pesky. I'm glad you're okay (ish) and are on the mend. Take care of yourself, girlfriend.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Oh gosh, pesky, I am so sorry to hear of your injuries. Please take care and feel better soon. Hope every day is a little better.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I'm also sorry to hear about this accident, hopefully you will heal fast, you really did not need this to be added to what you are living though right now, keep us posted on your progress and I wish you all the best.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Good heavens. It seems like an extreme way to get out of other family dramas. :-)

Take care of yourself.

• User
    10 years ago

I am so sorry. I think you are just completely worn out thus the fall. Please be careful. Don't sit on anything soft. Hard surface only and you can use a donut pillow but beware of sitting on it too long as it cuts off the circulation to the legs...sigh. Anti-inflammatories are your friend.

As already mentioned please watch that head injury. Prolonged headache, change in vision, nausea...c

• graywings123
    10 years ago

OMG. That is so scary! You poor thing!

• theroselvr
    10 years ago

Try not to do either. What ribs did you crack; front, back or side? I've cracked the back left; talk about painful. The old man (my ex-neighbor) fractured 3 & broke one that punctured his lung; I had more pain with 1 cracked then he did with his. Every time I breathed; I felt like I was being stabbed.

The tailbone is very painful. I did mine in on a motorcycle. I can't imagine pain from the ribs; tailbone and spine fractures all at once. No clue how you drove yourself. Using the brake & gas had to hurt like heck. You must have had pure adrenaline.

Hopefully you can rest. Not doing much will be key to how quickly you recover & what type of long term pain you'll be left with.

~Hugs

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

A cracked coxis is very painful and takes a while to completely heal. I did that sking once --ooowwweee!

Cracked ribs will make it inadvisable to laugh, for a bit. "Splint" the chest wall with a firm pillow held tightly against, it helps.

But a head injury with any loss or short diminishment of consciousness is the main issue. Can you get someone to hang out with you for a day or so? I k now your family will be preoccupied with MIL's drama at the hospital, but don't let that leave you unobserved. As Caroline sez: head ache, vision changes, nausea, dopiness/woozieness, even agitation or pretty much any noticable neuro sign and it's 911 and a fast trip back to the ER, no second guessing it, or playing it down.

I think this is about your inner awareness' hint to you that you're overloaded with stress right now. Pay attention and aim some of your impressive caring abilities right at yourself for a few days. The rest of it will take care of itself, and your drama queen SIL can deal with it.

Be assured your MIL would completely understand. This may also prompt your DH to have to handle some of his "own stuff" about his Mother's illness by himself, which wouldn't be a bad thing for him, either, IM (completely uninformed)O.

Ice cream, TV or a book, and some rest (but alert to over-drowsiness) are in order. Turn off your phone (let the person staying with you monitor it for you). You can postpone the birthday celebs, for a few days.

Please call a friend and get a companion with you for a bit.

L.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Oh dear, oh dear. Just want to say how sorry I am that this happened to you. Isn't it astounding how fast accidents happen? Somehow I always think that I will see it coming but -- whammo -- next thing you are sitting on your butt or staring straight up at the sky. I'm just so sorry that you are hurt. Take the time you need to heal and accept any help that is offered.

Poor baby.

• golddust
    10 years ago

Maybe your DH and family will have to step up now and conduct themselves in a mature manner. Take care of yourself, Pesky. Could it be there are no accidents? Feel better, friend.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

Oh no pesky! If you didn't live 2000 miles away from me I would bring you cookies or make you dinner ... or something! Hope you heal quickly.

• User
    10 years ago

Really sorry to hear this, pesky. I'm not really a superstitious person but I think in your shoes I'd be buying an amulet from a shaman for next Memorial Day. Mend soon...

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Bless your heart! You so did not need this! I hope you heal from it all quickly.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Talk about piling on! Man, you are overdue for some serious stress reduction. And now you need pain reduction too.

I think this is the Universe telling you it's time to stop focusing on everyone else and time to take care of yourself.

When I had the herniated disk in my neck, the thing that did the best job of quieting the pain was a glass of white wine. Seriously, it worked better for me than all the drugs they tried on me.

I am so sorry you are going through all this, and I'm sending you my best, fastest healing thoughts your way.

I'm going to attach a link below to a meditation that helps cope with pain which you may find helpful.

It's from http://meditationoasis.com and look for their podcasts. There's another one on healing that you may enjoy too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beyond pain meditation

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are all such gems! Thank you so much for your kind words, that really is helping me.

I've had concussions before-thankfully this one was very mild. As is usual the day after an injury, I'm hurting even more today. My left shoulder is badly bruised, so lifting my arm hurts bad. No bra for a while, I think!

The hardest thing for me to do is ask for help for myself. I am struggling with that right now. My mom offered to come help me, and I feel so bad-I shouldn't have my 74 YO mom waiting on me (although she's a tough old bag!). My eldest DD could come, but she's got a lot on her plate and she's only free till Monday. I have girlfriends I could ask, and I know that MIL's stepdaughters would be happy to come (I have some new girlfriends since meeting & spending time with them!) but I feel so guilty! I mean, I've got these stupid dogs and cats to tend to and i hate to ask someone else to do it. DH has come home for a while and he's going to clean the cat boxes (DESPERATELY needed-was on the list for yesterday and didn't happen).

My ex-SIL came to visit me in the ER yesterday, and I realized just how much better she was than the current. She is coo-coo, and a real piece of work, but she is at least compassionate and willing to help out. H REFUSES to do anything for anyone...she's mom's "official care-giver". Seriously-she won't let anyone sit next to mom and if the nurses come in, she steps in like she's been in charge. F-her, is all I can say!

She's gone and done more to alienate me from DH's family than any one has ever done. I was in the room for a short time yesterday evening, and DH's aunts were huddled up with H, and when they left to return home, they walked past me without saying a word-but hugged H and said love you, etc. Blick. I really don't care-but the smug look on H's face made me want to punch her!

So enough of that. I'm going to clean up my desk-can't do much else! I think I can scrapbook-as long as the medication doesn't make me do some Picasso like pages! LOL.

I will get me some help-DH is on his own. I've been seriously rethinking this relationship prior to mom's demise-and I think that this is just another nail in the coffin of our relationship. Not to worry-it's probably for the best in the long run. But that is another topic for another day.

I'm happy to have cyber-girlfriends who can share a virtual cuppa with me and cheer me up. Thanks everyone!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Everyone, everyone at times is called to help others, and at other times needs help. You need to give in and let others help you. You have all these people you can call...please do. Think of it as an opportunity for them to practice compassion and generosity. And it may be the Universe trying to teach you the importance of receiving and that you can't always be in charge. Just give in to it, and get help.

You deserve it.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Turn this situation around for a sec-
    What if your Mom, your daughter, or your friends clearly needed a little help and you offered but were rejected. How would that make you feel? They need help, you are capable of helping, why won't they accept?

Everyone needs help now and again. Accept it graciously when offered. Even if it's not offered, call someone and say I need help with (blank). Give them a chance to return the favors I'm sure you've done for them.

This is part of taking care of yourself, knowing when you need an extra hand or two. It's not forever. Get someone over there to care for a pet or make a meal or throw in a load of laundry - NOW.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Well this is the third bad thing that has happened on a Memorial Day weekend for you and things tend to happen in threes. I'm predicting, and have faith, that the rest of your Memorial Day weekends will be met with sunshine and glorious times.

But in the meantime ((((pesky1)))).

• mary_lu_gw
    10 years ago

So sorry to hear of your injuries! Please take care of yourself and by all means, let others help you as others have said above. Please keep us posted.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Very sorry to hear about all the heart-ache and pain you are going through right now. Hopefully, it will all pass soon and you can get back to "normal" life.

No one is saying it but I know most everyone is thinking it just like me so I'm just going to get it out: Your DH and his family has caused you so much turmoil over the years and it's high time you bring that to an end. Take comfort and joy in the healthy relationships you have with your children and let all the drama go once and for all.

This is meant with nothing but sincere hope for a happy future for you.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kelly, thanks for saying it. My mom got upset with me when I told her that this was really the final straw for me. She wants me to rethink my wanting out, but this was not the catalyst, but the final straw. Once I'm healed up (maybe even before then!) I'm planning to seperate.

Right now it's almost 5 am, and I just spent 20 mins trying to get out of bed. He called me twice yesterday-came over long enough to change the cat boxes and take a shower (I had asked him if he could help me shower but got no response). I realize his mother is lying there dying, but I'm home alone with a serious injury and four rambunctious dogs!

My sons-in-law came over and stayed with me a couple hours yesterday, and I enjoyed that so much. They set up a pillow system for me and brought me food (no appetite) and drinks. And made me laugh even though it was excruciating.

My mom is coming tomorrow, and I'll see if my DD can come today for a little while-I just need help getting into and out of the shower and maybe someone to make me some food-since I just can't bend to access anything. I've never been so helpless! The last time I was severely hurt I had people at home to help me. This is NOT a fun feeling!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry you're in so much pain. I'm delighted that you are calling people and asking for help. You need it and you deserve it.

Do you know your neighbors well? Can they be of help at all with the pets? Or, can you call your local high school? I'm sure there is some high school senior who would love to have a job and can drive who can spend a few hours a day with you, helping you motivate, take care of the pets, do the basic cooking and cleaning and run errands for you while you heal....

I was watching Oprah on Super Soul Sunday with her discussion with Maya Angelou. Oprah mentioned the time that she called Maya in tears because something bad had just happened. And instead of getting sympathy and "oh dear", Maya told her to stop crying and start thanking God as this means something new and far better is coming along.

You're a successful, confidant and competent woman. You've been through a lot, and you'll get through this too. Hang tough, kiddo.

• theroselvr
    10 years ago

I can't believe he came home to shower but couldn't help you shower.

I was in a similar situation when my dad passed. We were arguing a lot because his adult son lived with us. He actually told me to get out right after my dad was discharged; few weeks before he passed. It was my dad that spoke to my hub to cool him down.

The next day when we got home from the viewing; his sister was calling about his dad. Horrible time in my life with my paternity being questioned; my birthday was coming up; it was my dads next goal to live for. Here I'm dealing with DNA results & a hub who is splitting his time between us & his parents; I was pretty much alone. His dad passed 6 weeks later.

To add to it; my back was in similar shape to yours; I was on the couch for 3+ weeks. If it wasn't for the old man across the street; my other neighbor & my sons friends; no clue what I'd do. No clue how we're still together.

I'm not sure if I'd separate now; they may start talking about how you threw him out during the worst time in his life. I don't doubt that he will be surprised. No clue how you guys are still together.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Hey pesky, wondering how you're feeling today. Is your pain any less yet? I know it will take time. I hope people have been helping you and your pets out.

Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you....

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Bless your heart, I am so sorry for all you are going through. I am glad you are getting some help. Everyone needs help sometimes. ((((((Pesky)))))

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Bless your heart, I am so sorry for all you are going through. I am glad you are getting some help. Everyone needs help sometimes. ((((((Pesky)))))

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

She passed away this afternoon. I'm kind of reeling-I know it's because of the meds and the fact that dammit, as mad as she made me over the years, she and I did love one another in only that way you can love someone who drives you absolutely nuts but loves you despite it all.

My mom came today and she & her DH drove me around for some errands. I was (still am) feeling pretty sick from the meds, but I just forced myself to eat something and I hope it quells the nausea. I saw the Dr today-they said nothing but time and pain meds will help, do only as I can tolerate and to lift nothing. So I have taken their advice.

One bright side-if you can call it that-I happened to find that BIL's wife (forever known as TFB-you figure it out) said a lot of very nasty things about me on Facebook and to family members behind my back. I showed her comments to my DH who flipped out-he was so angry. FINALLY he believed me-I was not the one who started this-it was her. On some level he thought that maybe I had come across as too severe to TFB and that I had raised my voice and/or did do what she'd claimed. He's not one for confrontation, but I am. However, I know that there is a time and a place for it, and in the hospital was NOT the time.

He showed his brother what she'd posted and i guess his brother was pretty upset about that-he didn't know she was like that (I could tell from the first time I met her she was a drama queen). He and my DH told her that was not cool and she apologized to DH (not to me, naturally) and I suspect that BIL might have figuratively spanked her because all of the sudden she left for home. She also removed the posts, but I'd copied them because I suspected she'd try to deny it. Her bad mouthing has backfired on her-she does not know DH's family like I do!

So, that drama has ended, my good name no longer sullied.

I am feeling little pain right now (thanks to massive amounts of pain killers)-and the UPS man just dropped off a couple packages-my dress for DD's wedding (GORGEOUS!) and an amazing pair of candlesticks my sister picked up for the wedding decor-they're nearly 4 feet tall!

Plan to spend the rest of my time off work working on some wedding crafts, thankfully MIL's husbands daughter has made all the final arrangements for mom, and we will probably have a private memorial service with her friends in a week or so when I'm feeling better. I think she'd like that.

Thank you all so very much for your kind words and thoughts. It really means so much.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Wow! So sorry to hear about MIL. This is going to be a tremendous change in your life some easy to take, some not so much. Give yourself and your family time to adjust to the new way of life.

I'm so glad you are getting help and you are finding meds that help keep your pain tolerable. It will be slow, but with time you will feel better.

I'm also glad the truth is out about TFB. I hope this becomes an opportunity for her to change her ways.

It is great news that you have something happy like the wedding to look forward to, to offset some of those negative feelings.

Thanks for filling us in.

• hilltop_gw
    10 years ago

Sending sympathy and peace to you pesky. Hopefully you'll feel a tremendous weight off your shoulders in many ways in the weeks to come.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Pesky, I am so sorry for your loss. And for everything else that's going on in your life right now.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss, Pesky.

TFB is getting her due karma.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

So sorry for everything you are going through.

Also sorry that you have to deal with a DH who doesn't trust or stick up for you right from the start. You had to show him proof before he believed you about TFB?

• User
    10 years ago

I am glad you are getting some rest and support . I hope you continue to progress with your recovery so that the wedding can be fully enjoyed. Your MIL is at peace now. My thoughts are with you and your family. c

• golddust
    10 years ago

Pesky, this hasn't been easy for anyone. I'm sending you peace and resolve. I'm sorry about your MIL. Hope the family gets through it intact.

• theroselvr
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like she went fairly quick; I hope she did not suffer.

I'm glad TFB finally showed her true self & hope it went down before your MIL passed away & that she was shut out of the room. Glad to see your hub stuck up for you!

Did they prescribe anti-inflammatory meds or just pain meds? Most places now sell gel ice packs; unless the hospital gave you one to bring home? What I have done is made smaller ones with my food sealer. They work really well for the tailbone area.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have been prescribed vicodin and motrin-so I take both every 6 hours (when I think about it). Problem is that I try to tough it out-the vicodin makes me so loopy and if I'm alone, I don't want to take it because I'm afraid I might fall again.

Ice packs are definitely in order. My tailbone & ribs aren't hurting as bad as my back-but it still hurts to breathe deeply. My bottom is sore, but I have one chair in my office that I can sit it with the least amount of pain.

Dr. will be taking more xrays later this week. They say time will heal and that its just a painful healing.

THankfully my mom came by last night with dinner for my DH and my BIL-I think it was the first real food they've eaten in days. I was too nausead to eat-mom had taken me out to run errands and the combo of meds, being in the car and not eating before taking the meds made me pretty sick yesterday. I have no appetite, but must eat. Good news is that I went and weighed in on Sat before I fell-have lost 25lbs! Probably will lose a couple more this week-not the best way to do it tho!

DH left a few minutes ago to take his brother back home. We'll see how things go here once he's back full time. I couldn't sleep well with him in the bed-every time he moved it caused shock waves of pain, so one of us will probably have to move to the guest room for a while. Push comes to shove, and I'll go stay at my moms! Haha.

• theroselvr
    10 years ago

Ask the Dr to let you try something else. You may do better with a percocet 5/325 or Darvacet then Vicodin. My elderly neighbor was on a morphine drip for his broken ribs.

Depending on where your rib fractures are; you may do better sleeping on your side on the couch. My back pain is worst if I'm sleeping on my back. I have a queen sized pillow between my legs; then a couch pillow to hold my arm. I'm better able to keep a gel pack on my back this way. There are waist wraps that the gel pack slips into or you can use an Ace bandage..

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry about your mother-in-law pesky. you are in my thoughts.

• lizzie_grow
    10 years ago

Pesky,

I think you need a different pain med. I cannot take pain meds very well as they really cause me GI problems such as nausea, and Vicodan really did a number on me when it was prescribed. I use Tylenol with Codeine & take it after I eat something. Call your doc...there are lots of other options...

Also wanted to say so sorry about all your family drama lately, and I am happy your MIL is at peace now, but I am sorry for your loss.

Take good care....

• OllieJane
    10 years ago

So sorry for the loss of your MIL.

Now seems to be the time your DH needs you for comfort, and you need DH for help with your health, hope you both can be their for each other at this time.

If your husband was as close to his mother as you have stated in earlier posts, this will be a very hard time for him. Hope you both have the patience to meet each other's needs.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I'm also sorry about your loss Pesky, I know you loved her despite everything you went through together, I hope you get better soon, it's a hard time for you .

• annac54
    10 years ago

Pesky,

Very sorry for your loss. I hope you and your DH can get through the coming days without much more damage to either of you.

On the subject of your vertebral fractures, please do some research on your own so you can be a little knowledgeable when you next talk to your doctor.

I fractured one a year ago in the middle of my thoracic area. The X-ray report said it was a compression fracture. I'm positive the doctor didn't look at the X-ray, just read the report. I looked up that type of fracture and most look like cracks on the front side of the vertebrae. I was told to rest, take medication, and that it would take about 8 weeks to heal. 9 weeks later I was still in a lot of pain, in fact, it had gotten worse. I had an MRI and was sent to a specialist. It wasn't just cracks, a big chunk out of the middle of the vertebrae had broken loose and collapsed into the spinal cord area. The additional pain was the herniated disk that was caused later by the fracture. This was a type of fracture that would not heal without help. I ended up having an outpatient operation called a kyphoplasty where they inflate a small balloon to reposition the bone fragment, then inject bone cement to hold it in place. I could tell the difference within 2 days and felt much better within a week. We're waiting to see if the disk will need surgery or not after the inflammation has a chance to subside.

This may not be your situation, but I wish I had pressed to have the specialist's opinion early on. It would have saved me 6 months of pain, and possibly prevented the disk problem from occurring. You really need to be your own advocate with the doctors, and if you aren't getting the answers you need, find someone else.

I couldn't take the vicodin, so they prescribed something else for me. If you're unhappy with it, ask for a different medication.

Some people get rigid braces to help keep the vertebrae immobilized as much as possible so it can heal. The first specialist I saw was surprised that the doctor had not recommended one. It may or may not be appropriate for you, but doesn't hurt to ask.

The large (11 x 14) gel packs were a lifesaver. Much more comfortable and convenient than ice packs. I've seen them on sale at Amazon and other places on line.

Sitting for any length of time was hard for me. I was most comfortable in our small recliner, not totally reclined, but enough to take the pressure off. You might see if that helps.

Please take care of yourself and do what you need to make sure you are getting the proper medical advice for your specific situation. I will be sending you positive and healing thoughts.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Pesky, it has taken me a while to check back here and wow-oh-wow, lots has happened.

I am so sorry for your loss. I hate that you fell and with such dire results. Glad your mom came to help. Glad that TFB (love that acronym-it had me giggling) showed her true colors. I hope you take it easy and let others help you and the heck with those who won't, no matter what else is going on-for heavens sake, no help with taking a shower? No excuse for that.

I wish you peace and quiet and respite from all the emotional and physical pain you are feeling now. You most definitely deserve a break!