Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

6 Weeks to Fitness: Week #3

anele_gw
9 years ago

Wow! We are getting started on completing the first half of this challenge!

Who is still here? Anyone new who wants to join? It's never too late!

Thoughts about what to post . . .

(1) What successes have you had so far?
(2) Do you see any patterns in your obstacles?

Comments (22)

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

(1) What successes have you had so far?
    So far, I've done 10 workouts, which was mostly my goal.

(2) Do you see any patterns in your obstacles?
    YES. Going to bed on time is an issue. I should be in bed right now, and should have made my kids' lunches. But, I would always rather be reading and writing or doing something other than going to bed . . .so I wake up tired. I still get up and do it, but the day is harder.

I also have not started the plank challenge like I thought I would. 2 weeks have gone by.

I would really like new exercise. I want to do more with weights because I really prefer them over cardio. I am lost when it comes to trying to find new DVD s . . .keep reading Amazon reviews. Maybe I need to join a site dedicated to fitness for better reviews? I would really like a good yoga one, another with interval training, and a routine with resistance bands. All should be safe for knees, though, which is a challenge.

Anyone else?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Well this past week was a struggle for me with my cold. Seems, whether physical or psychological, that "feed a cold" mentality kicked in and my eating was not good. I also didn't exercise several days as I felt so lousy and so was the weather....somehow downward dog and a head cold just don't mix.

I did manage to get my heels closer by 1/4" on my squats so now I'm at 2", and I did manage to do the plank for 65 seconds so I was able to keep that going.

I'm ready to be back on the straight and narrow for this week, feeling better and have a clear sight to keep it going. Need to add more water!

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Good point Annie on the water as somehow last week I was off on my water.

I'm pretty much the same as the week before. I had an okay week, if not what I planned. At least I did keep moving. It's been crazy busy at work and about the same at home!! This week should be better and then next week we are off and will do some camping - so I know I will be moving more!

tina

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Doing good on my running but slacked off some last week on everything else exercise related (including planks and weights). Just no time in the evenings as I had other errands and appointments and barely had time to get my runs in. Longest run was Saturday morning, 5.5 miles, with my group and did ok with that. Race is in 2 weeks.

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

Last week was a complete bust in terms of my goal to exercise two times during the week - too many other things scheduled after work. This week my schedule is completely clear so maybe I'll do better. I have lost a few pounds so feeling a bit more motivated. I think the weight loss is related to eating more protein and fewer carbs and the fact DH the big dessert eater has given up that kind of stuff at least for now. I in turn don't eat it because it's not around. We're starting to lose our craving for it I think.

This weekend I did a 40 minute walk and an hour on the stationary bike so my goal for this week would be two days of my yoga video which is a fast paced 35 minute routine.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Annie - if you can do a plank for 65 seconds it's time to up the challenge. Next time - lift one leg off the floor slightly but make sure your hips stay level by activating the gluts and keeping the core strong. Keep it off the floor for 20 seconds, and then slowly shift to the other leg.

Make sure you just lift your leg slightly as you don't want to overextend your back.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Thanks blfenton. I'm working my way up to a 2 min plank, so maybe after that, I can try the one-legged ones. I have done one-legged push ups as part of pilates, but they are challenging...more for balance than anything else as we start from a standing position.

Anele, you might check out your local library. You'd be surprised at how many dvds they have on yoga, pilates and other kinds of workouts.

When I lift weights, I follow an old program from years ago with Joyce Vedral...it's a book and it runs through a whole bunch of exercises...lower body, upper body, back and abs...that pretty much result in a full body workout.

• awm03
    9 years ago

I'm a bit frustrated. When I'm home, I'm good about exercising -- 4 classes a week and a bike ride or something on the weekends. But we have traveled so much since January that I'm having trouble maintaining fitness levels. We were gone again last week, and when I went to kettlebells today -- oof. I couldn't keep up and felt like a slacker.

Oh well, oh well. There's only one solution to this problem, and it isn't "Give Up."

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

I'm ok-have stuck to my eating and exercise plan. Yesterday I took an outside bike ride on a hilly road and could NOT believe how winded I got. Having worked out all winter I did not think that would be as difficult as it was.

Goal-pump up the cardio!

• amj0517
    9 years ago

I didn't set hard goals because I haven't been able to stick with it in the past. What this challenge has done for me though, is it has made me more aware of opportunities to get moving. I'm making an effort to play physically with my kids (usually this is dad's department). I've been playing tag, soccer and walking while they ride bikes. It's been fun for them and me!

I'd like to get back to exercise classes and weight training regularly, but I think I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that that just won't easily work with my family responsibilities right now. Someday. Just not now.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, I think the "feed a cold" motto is true! Part of how I know I am getting a cold is that I feel a strange hungry sensation . . .I am glad you are feeling better. Impressive that you made so much progress despite not feeling well! You're right-- the library would be good. (Hard for me to get there without the kids, though . . .my 2 y.o. makes is just about impossible to browse! Need to wait for a weekend.) I looked up Joyce Vedral on Amazon just now . . .she looks like a lot of fun. I will keep her in mind.

Awm, no, it isn't "give up," but it isn't "try to do it all," either. You will have to tell me about kettlebells because I think that is what I am going to order. I have a DVD in mind; just need to pick what kind/which weight kettlebell to start with. Have you thought about those resistance bands to bring with you when traveling? The ones where you attach them to a door? In the reviews I've been reading, people say they really like them for using while traveling. Regardless, it is hard to do anything extra when traveling, esp. when you are not traveling alone!

Tina, camping sounds like fun! And like you said, even though things don't go as planned, you work with what you have.

Outside, how long is your run in 2 weeks?

Gibby, that is great about your weight loss, esp. despite exercise obstacles!

Bonnie, that is great that you got your bike out and stuck to your plan! Sometimes I am glad to see where there is a problem (like getting winded!) so I know where to start.

Amj, yes, it is so hard with responsibilities. That is why I am aiming low! Then I know I can do it. The playing you do with your kids pays off in so many ways . . .I bet they adore it!

I spent time today focused on getting some more DVDs. I picked a yoga one and a kettlebell one . . .multiple workouts in both types. I am going to do:
    3 days of kettlebells (every other day)
    1 day yoga
    1 day ballet

Thanks, everyone, for reporting in. It really helps to know we are in this together!

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I didn't 'join', but have been following the posts every day, and it definitely helps get me going! I'm a person who has always enjoyed free weights, so got them out when the challenge started. I love to see definition in arms/shoulders/back so that's really been my goal. I do several reps of various exercises, and this week upped the weights to 8 lb~started with 5. I feel stronger(can I already see slightly more definition?)and know my efforts won't be in vane.

Since it will take more than 6 weeks to get to my ultimate goal, I'm glad I started early. I went shopping and bought 3 cute sleeveless tops, one a haulter style. This gives me the 'umph' to push myself even more! Glad I started when I did since summer is coming sooner than I expected here in Tx.

• awm03
    9 years ago

Thanks for your encouraging words, Anele. If you're interested to try kettlebells, you should find an instructor in the beginning. The reason for that is, form is critical. Otherwise, you can easily injure yourself if the weight isn't in the right place or if you're not using the right muscles. If you find an instructor who is picky about technique and stops you every few swings to correct you, that's a good instructor.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patty, weights are what excite me the most . . .I don't know if I am right, but it seems like the most effective thing to do. More muscle mass = better/stronger bones, faster metabolism, more sculpted look. I don't know why so many women are worried about bulking up-- isn't it really hard for even men to get that appearance?

Awm, re: an instructor . . .just can't do it. If I can't do my routine at home in the am, I won't do it at all. So, I am going to settle for less than perfect (or it won't happen!) and get the DVD that gets good ratings and start with a low weight kettlebell. I have a problem with always wanting things to be perfect and it paralyzes me, so I am trying to let that go. I am pretty careful re: form. I figure if all those people giving the DVDs good reviews can do it, I can, too!

• awm03
    9 years ago

re self taught kettlebell: Then work out in front of a mirror to keep an eye on your alignment. When pressing the bell upward, keep your bicep right by your ear to take strain off the shoulders, & keep your glutes tucked in & tight to take strain off your lower back. And when you do basic two handed swings, the swing comes from the momentum of snapping your glutes tight -- it isn't really an arm swing at all.

But even just the basics for 20 minutes -- two handed swings, overhead presses, sit ups holding the bell, squats -- will get your heart pounding and strengthen your muscles considerably. With swings, do 15 swings, count to 10 for a break, do 15 more. Try working up to a hundred swings.

And as Madame K say, you can't "bang the bells" every day. Your muscles need recovery time. Even my kbell group doesn't go hot & heavy with bell work every time. So alternate your routine with something else you enjoy, perhaps some cardio or yoga.

Good luck! I hope this opens up a whole new fitness world for you, as it did me.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Anele, almost missed your question. The race is a 10k (6.2 miles). My DD is also doing it and now my DGD (age 14) has decided to do the 5k that is held in conjunction with it! So excited it will be a Grandmother, daughter, grand-daughter race day! DGD ran with us a couple of weeks ago when we did a 3.5 mile day and she smoked us, lol! She plays club soccer (and was playing basketball during the winter) and is in great shape physically.

Am enjoying hearing about everyone's progress. I know it's hard to find the time some weeks. Just glad to have some workout 'partners' to give encouragement here.

• awm03
    9 years ago

Taking a little trip down memory lane...

Here is a link that might be useful: my first kettlebell class

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Anele, I was a 'gym rat' in my late 40's early 50's, and used free weights as much as I could, otherwise it was weight machines. I've never been concerned about bulking up, as women 'build' differently than men. The weights combined with aerobics, kept me in great shape, and at 71, still not complaining. I've become lazy though, and *need* a little challenge.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Yay everyone! I agree with Pattycakes, having this thread makes me think. So far everything has gone well. I worked waitressing on Saturday and Sunday. 18k steps Saturday and 17k on Sunday...that was just the work part! I still tried to go to the gym Saturday but they were closed at 4.

Tuesday I met with Norman the trainer. He's really great! I'm going to find a spot in the budget to go every few weeks. We went over all of my moves and he taught me some more. He seems to be convinced I have skills. :)

Tomorrow I go back. Allergies have me miserable, but I'm determined to keep at it. The bad news is I haven't lost an ounce. It's been about a month of good eating and more movement. I'm thinking I may need to have my thyroid levels checked again. I have hashimotos and at my last endocrinologist appointment she said, "you've been stable for so long..it can't last much longer".

Outsideplaying, congrats on your race! That sounds like fun and what a great way to teach your GD healthy habits early.

Beth

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awm, thank you for the tips and link! It was fun to see what your first impressions were. And no, no worries-- as I posted in my initial post, I was never planning on using them day after day. I had yoga and ballet scheduled in on alternate days. While I have never been good about working out, I understand the need for muscles to rest. :) I have put off buying a kettlebell, however. I am concerned about the whole lead thing . . .so many get bad reviews (leaving blisters), too. Seems like the only good ones are expensive (I am not sure about the lead in them) and I don't want to commit that much money to them w/o knowing if they are for me.

Outside, wow! Three generations! That is fantastic. Should be fun just to be together!

Patty, that is fantastic! Your bones must love you for putting the time into them!

Beth, yay for Normal the trainer! I am so glad you clicked, and he sounds worth the investment. RE: losing an ounce, is it possible that, as your building more muscle mass, any weight you lose in fat won't show up on the scale because you are adding muscle? But, I think a visit to the doctor is a good idea . . .how do you feel? I'm sorry about your allergies!

I bought ankle weight that are adjustable, but they are just too big for me. BUT, I tried them for one workout, and I see the benefit. I do the modified versions of some exercises due to my knees, but with the weights, then I am getting more out of the exercise. It's a good way for me to get a harder workout but safely. So, now I need to find some new ones. My yoga video is coming today . . .and I am going to get a few heavier weights, and maybe a video by the trainer Annie recommended. (She seems like fun!)

Cheering everyone on who is doing this, including those of you reading without commenting!

Some inspiration:

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

One of the things I like about the harmony yoga is she reminds us, no judgment...just notice. So if I can't do the position as well as I want, or if I mess up on what I eat, I think, no judgment, just notice. No defeatist attitude. It makes it so much easier to choose right the next time, and it avoids that downward spiral of mess up, blame and criticize, feel lousy, seek comfort so mess up again, blame and criticize....

I liked what huffington said...don't know if it was her own or someone else's...failure is not the opposite of success...it is the stepping stone to success.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, I completely agree-- any sort of negativity really does no good. As you said, it creates a downward spiral. We then have to expend energy to pick ourselves back up, after we've already wasted time/energy bringing ourselves down.

I think what has made this time so different for me (I have never stuck to a workout this long, which I realize isn't very long!) is:
    (1) Focusing on one day at a time while also . . ..
    (2) Viewing this as a life-long process, so there is no rush to be fit now (because, there is always more I can do anyway).
    (3) Setting the bar low. This pretty much guarantees I won't fail. By not failing, I feel more empowered and motivated to do more. It's the opposite of what we usually hear ("aim high") but this is what works for me. "Aim realistically and even a little lower" is my motto.

I just got my yoga video set. I am relatively flexible, esp. given how little I exercise, but I started with "yoga for inflexible people." I did it this morning. I feel so good! My kids have started doing yoga a little (even when we are out, they break into a pose), so maybe they will do this with me, too.

How is everyone else? I am technically done for the week, but only 2 more days to be done with week #3! Wow!

Here is a link that might be useful: Yoga Set: 3 Videos