Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
covingtoncat

Eat, Pray, Drool?

covingtoncat
9 years ago

Curious what you all think of Elizabeth Gilbert's home now up for sale. I love it! Especially the Skybrary.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elizabeth Gilbert's home for sale

Comments (18)

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Since you asked.....
    I have no idea who she is, but she must not be an actress because she didn't seem comfortable in front of the camera. The camera man made me dizzy with their quick turns. I wasn't impressed by what I saw so I stopped before I got to the skybrary. That does sound like something I would like though.
    I love Victorian homes, our home is fashioned after them, but this wasn't impressive to me. It just looked like an old house. Sorry. :^(

• deegw
    9 years ago

Lovely space but is she high?

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Becky she's an author - Eat Pray Love is probably the best known. No, I don't think she's high, just kind of loose and goofy - I like her.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

It was interesting. I was more interested in seeing her, after having read the book. The house looked far more livable, given it's age and her celebrity, than many other famous people's houses. But that skybrary would drive me nuts. I was in a room once that had only the tax windows by the floor and it was so off putting to me, I felt unbalanced the whole time I was in there. Though I did love the little cubbies everywhere. I can't imagine spending time in the cupola as, with no railing, I'd be afraid I'd tip over and go down the stairs in a flash.

I appreciate your sharing this...thanks!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Ha ha ha Deee! LOL She was certainly giddy.
    Thanks Deb. I've seen the movie, though I normally prefer books, I don't get to chick flicks anymore. I was not impressed with the movie/story line so I never got the book. covingtoncat's subject like now makes sense though.
    After Annie's comments, I need to go back and check out the skybrary.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Read the book and liked it, didn't see the movie. I heard her speak at a local university and she was excellent - witty, charming, interesting - it was just a delightful evening. She said once she sold the movie rights she didn't worry about any changes they made to the story because now it was their story to tell.

Thanks for the link. The house is cool. The size of the rooms is impressive but all I could imagine was the cost to heat a big, probably drafty, old house with those big rooms. I think the low windows of the skybary would trouble me but those shelves and secret compartments are wonderful.

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

I really enjoyed the tour; it's always fun to see how others live, esp. well known people.

No drooling here. The house isn't me at all and I would actually be depressed living there. Too chopped up, not open enough, no master bath, downstairs laundry, old...none of which I care for. Didn't like the skybrary either and actually found it kind of creepy.

I wonder whether it will sell quickly or languish on the market. Thanks for the link!

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

I love it, and am particularly fond of her colorful, eclectic decorating style which really seems to be in keeping with the life she has led.

I'm unable to open the link above, but the article I read said that the house does have a master bath (and also had a photo of the gorgeous tub): On the second floor, the master bedroom and main guest room face the river; the master bath has an antique claw-foot bathtub and river views.

I thought the skybrary was fabulous.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I'm glad I went back and saw the skybrary, cupola and the gardens. Though it would have been better to have seen everything in bloom as she walked through, I was glad she at least shared photos.
    I would love to set in the cupola, but I'd close the door while in there. At one time I dreamed of this room, second floor with my desk between two windows, would open to the attic with a loft at the front of the house.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Oh, my, the gardens. I want to save this and replicate that type of garden, with the edging, fanning out, paths between, perfect.

• awm03
    9 years ago

I love the house, the gardens, and the location. My husband would buy it in a heartbeat because of the steam bath and the dry basement (when we shopped for houses, he would head to the basement first thing). And I thought her sense of humor was delightful. Thanks, covingtoncat!

• covingtoncat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've read the book (enjoyed) and saw the movie (not as much), and I can see more of her fun, off-beat personality now. I would totally love to visit this home.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Wow, four for four.... Loathed her book, the movie, her personality showing the house, and don't care at all for the house itself. The "skybrary" looks like a cheaped out space solution that was not well thought out at all. Come to think of it, that pretty much describes everything about her--- not well thought out.

This post was edited by kswl on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 6:44

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I don't care for the house at all. I thought her book was interesting, but not at all something the average person would do. Now that I see her showing her house, I can see her personality coming thru and see why she was goofy enough to do the things she did in the book. Not me for sure. I agree with kswl...not well thought-out. It seems like she probably paid a heck of a lot of money to design those little quirky things in the skybrary because it just wasn't well-planned. More like a play house. Wonder why she is selling? On to the next weird thing?

• presdulac
    9 years ago

Wow.
    Nice comments about an actual, real life person that none of you know.
    Those comments say a lot more about you than they do about her - I know who I wouldn't mind spending time with.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Lol, pres du lac--- have you read her book? Honestly, it showed her in the worst possible light as a self indulgent dilettante. Her house tour did nothing to dispel that. Practically speaking, she'd probably be the worst friend ever, as everything is all about HER.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Was never interested in reading the book or seeing the movie.....they seemed too "Oprah live your best life" icky. The house and grounds are pretty as are some of the rooms. Thought all the (waaaay too many!) quirky drawers, cubbies and secret compartments in the skybrary was a waste of money---are you really going to remember how they all function and what you put where? Who wants to have to open 500 little drawers looking for the stamps?! That money might have been better spent finishing off the basement. I also thought she was very annoying as the narrator. High five Kswl!

• peegee
    9 years ago

Thanks for link, Covingtoncat! I enjoyed seeing her home, and although at first she seemed just a little too silly, she was fun! I enjoyed her tour and loved her skybrary, too. I was just a little horrified at seeing the wood in the basement - yikes - and wondered how far from the dining room the kitchen is - I didn't go back to the beginning of the video to check but suspect one must go through the sitting room off the kitchen to get to the DR, I assume the same sitting room that is off the DR...too much of a distance, for me. But the house was charming, and I, too, may file away ideas to use someday with those fanning-out cobble-stone lined garden beds with the path bisecting each piece....She seems like the type of person who takes on a challenge, and when it's done, wants to tackle another. I hope she gets as much satisfaction from her next home/project!