Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peegee_gw

Answer needed from Michelangelo sterling flatware owners

peegee
9 years ago

Are your knife handles marked sterling? Have just started buying Oneida Michelangelo pattern sterling as a gift, bought my first few pieces, but am confused that the butter knife looks like all stainless instead of stainless blade with sterling handle. Any one else have the master butter - is it marked anywhere? How else besides having a jeweler test it would you know for certain? For those who may not know, the pattern was made in both stainless and sterling, and in fact the stainless is apparently still being made overseas in an inferior quality. Thanks for any help!

Comments (16)

• maddielee
    9 years ago

One clue (not necessarily a certain) to determine Sterling is to rub the piece with a clean, soft cloth. Even the cleanest of sterling will have some tarnish which will show on the cloth.

ML

• peegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maddielee - I did think of that, and at first was relieved by the blackened area on the silver cloth; but then it occurred to me the areas within the filigree could have been darkened deliberately so I tried rubbing the wide flattened sides - nothing....

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Solid Sterling silver is not magnetic. Stainless steel might be magnetic but it depends on what alloys were used in the manufacturing. If you have a strong magnet you could test it on the knife. Just remember that even sterling knives usually have stainless blades.

• Marigene
    9 years ago

I believe knife blades started being made out of stainless in 1942, prior to that they were sterling.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

My butter knives are all sterling and I believe that is usually the case. I have two sets of sterling (one inherited and from the early 20th c. and the other my wedding flatware from the 1970s) which both have the sterling butter knives. They are not hollow handles with stainless blades as are the dinner knives.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

The butter knives that I have (Towle, made before 1970) have stainless blades.

Peegee, try leaving your knives out in the air for a few days, see if they tarnish. (I've heard jewelry makers speed up the tarnishing process by placing the piece in a jar with some sort of sulfar powder, or even a split open hard boiled egg???).

ML

• peegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh maddilee - I'll try the egg thing! I do wish though someone with this pattern would post if their sterling butter handle with stainless blade is marked anywhere....

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Ah, semantics! I was talking about butter spreaders. :). Sorry.

• peegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cyn - I don't think it matters - they would probably both have similar markings if they had any at all...

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Oh, meant to add that it is a beautiful pattern, peegee. Your table must look lovely all set with it!

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I would go to this page and inquire if they could tell you.
    Maybe send them a photo of yours and ask is there should be any writing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look here

• peegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank lyban! I had tried calling them over the weekend, but they said call back on Monday when knowledgable staff would be in - I got sooooo busy at work I didn't have a chance to call, but forgot about it anyway, and would not have remembered for tomorrow without your reminder - thanks!!!!!

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

My mom has Michelangelo in stainless. Could someone have switched out the sterling knives for stainless in your set?

• peegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

marti-this one master butter is the one in question....I suspect the seller is trying to pass off a stainless knife at silver prices. I plan to take to a jeweler on my day off and have it tested. If not silver it will go back to the seller who insists it is not stainless. But...daughter's larger service just arrived (from elsewhere) and she reports the dinner knife handles are all marked silver and have that warm silver look, unlike this one!. Really was hoping someone with the master butter would have popped in to comment on whether their's is marked...or if someone knows if silver must by law be marked - you'd think it would be required....thanks for your comment!

• Cat LaToo
    8 years ago

The Michelangelo sterling silver master butter knife is marked "sterling handle stainless blade" on the blade. if it is not marked sterling, it is the stainless steel pattern.