Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitchdesj2

Shoes discussion part 2

mitchdesj
11 years ago

There was a long thread in august about shoes, comfortable heels, etc⦠I just read through it and thought we could revisit the subject.

I was needing a nude tone patent 2 inch kitten heel pointy toe slingback shoe,
tried on some Manolos at Neiman on sunday, my bunion was almost all in but they hurt. Too narrow for me.
Too expensive also, but they were exactly what I was looking for in style and colour for a special occasion.

I found Trotters at Zappos, almost identical to the manolos,
they come in W width, 99$ - success.

I'm ordering them in black patent also, it's so hard for me to find a dressier shoe that fits and is comfortable.

I also ordered a closed pump with a kitten heel by Trotters but they were too big, I'll order one size down.
I find the reviews and the videos on zappos so useful.

Anyone care to talk about their latest shoe successes ?

Comments (39)

• lizbeth-gardener
    11 years ago

Would love to see your choices-can you link? I'm needing a dress shoe/heel, but can't wear/don't want a really high heel and comfort is important. I also need narrow, so makes it harder. I, too, tend to buy more then one of a style when I find one that works well.

• User
    11 years ago

Lol, mitchdesi, no shoes but three very large boxes from Zappos. They had my Victorinox werks luggage on sale so I bought a few more pieces of it. When DH saw the big boxes at the door he raised his eyebrows and asked how many new shoes I had ordered :-)

The last pair of shoes I bought are Gentle Souls (soles?), the brand with the flax seed filled footbed. The style is a sort of neutral light pewter colored leather Mary Jane, they go with absolutely everything. They are flats, as are all my shoes, I do not wear heels. They weren't a bargain at ariund $200, but certainly not in the Manolo price range either. The seed footbeds have not really made that much difference in comfort to me, but some people swear by them.

• Faron79
    11 years ago

So you're saying these are out!??!!?
    ;-)

When I see a Woman wearing something like this, I'm usually doin' a triple-take.....Wow!

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: Another CL shoe...

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No Faron, I did not say they were out, they seem to be quite in, but alas I can't wear high heels so I skip on by.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I was on Zappos yesterday searching for flats to wear with shorts and jeans for summer. I found a pair of Aerosoles that I just love. They were sold out of my size (W) but the Aerosole website has them.

I don't know whether to get the multi-pink stripe or the multi-blue stripe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shoes I want

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kswl, gentle soles seems amazing, so many to pick from, do you remember what yours are called ?

I have to stop looking at zappos, I found another flat I had years ago that I love and they have them still, in a gold metallic I may order.

this is my pump, I'll be wearing a long dress for a wedding and flats would have been odd. I also needed to wear those without hose.

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

600$ difference between the 2

I prefer the tone of the manolo's, ( although they are not that pale in real life) but I can live with mine.

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

looking at the pictures side by side, the Manolos are much nicer, but I'm going to be wearing the pumps for approximately 2 hours, then I'll change to flats for dancing.

Marlene, you were having your bunions corrected if I recall, how is that turning out ? I am considering having mine done next fall.

Zappos also has a couture side, with more expensive shoes. I ordered a Taryn Rose flat I used to wear 5 years ago ( I still have them in black, they are very worn) I had no idea they still made those, so I ordered the metallic gold- they are flat but have a shape I love and they fit my wide feet, the bunion is covered.

sorry girls , I'm shoe obsessed this week ! DH is away and that's when I have time to indulge.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

i recently received a few pairs of sandals i had ordered that were on sale- so convenient to shop on line!

i like the picture of the manolas more too... esp the wider heel base and the no buckle strap, but for a $600 savings on shoes that won't be worn very often, i would have chosen the $99 pair too!

the high heels like the pair pictured above are almost too the point of ridiculous imo... so few people can really walk confidently and gracefully in the very high heels that i always think it detracts from the outfit/look when the girl is not walking easily/naturally... !

• chispa
    11 years ago

If you look at then CL link and check the new spring/summer shoes it is easy to spot the problem with the current shoe market. They are either dead flat or 4+ inch heels ... nothing in between!

I hate flats and although I can wear 4+ inch heels just fine, they are a bit much to wear to the supermarket and everyday errands. Where are the 3' heels? Very hard to find.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

chispa,
    Hahahaha....3' heels? No wonder they are hard to find! They're called stilts!

I know you meant 3"....just couldn't resist with the image it created.

;)

Zappos allows you to search by heel height....

• golddust
    11 years ago

UPS just delivered my new summer sandals. I have high arches so I must buy shoes with support. Very limiting but I really like my new sandals. They are SO me!

Here is a link that might be useful: Golddust's new sandals with arch support.

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

Oakleyok,

I vote for the pink.
    They look so summery and I think that kind os shoe can go with anything.

• golddust
    11 years ago

Oakley, I love those aerosoles. I think you should get a couple colors. They are cheap, considering the leather insoles...

• ms-thrifty
    11 years ago

goldust-I too love the sandals.

Anyone ever purchased from 6pm.com.? they have loads of shoes, lots of brands, and several I would like to have. I need some casual tennis shoe type shoes for my dog training classes etc. Mostly I run around in flip flops, and have good running shoes for agility, and good sandals, flats, etc. and two pairs of decent heels, but all my old ones are getting very shabby. Having trouble finding my size in anything I like at local stores. Far too many wild colors this year also.

• golddust
    11 years ago

I've ordered from 6PM. I think it is owned by Zappos. Great service.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I love 6pm. It's the clearance rack for Zappos.

• hhireno
    11 years ago

My sister has ordered from 6pm a number of times with mixed success. The first time was great, after that the orders had to be returned. Twice they sent the wrong thing. If the return shipping is free it is worth the gamble.

• deegw
    11 years ago

I am a pretty regular 6pm shopper and I am not aware of free shipping for returns. In fact, they don't even supply prepaid labels (bulk rate labels that are deducted from your refund). So, you end up paying full UPS or USPS rates for returns,

I was shocked at how expensive it was to return pair of boots so I rarely buy large or bulky items. I will now only order light weight, smaller items or things that I know will work. For me, 6pm service has been hit or miss and nothing like Zappos.

• golddust
    11 years ago

I have used 6pm only to order duplicate shoes in different colors, so I haven't had to return any. I was certain of my size...

• hhireno
    11 years ago

My sister ordered clothes, not shoes. They sent a different size and color than what she ordered. I don't know if they comped her shipping since it was their error. I just know she said she won't bother to order from them again.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Oakley, here are some striped shoes from Tom's that are the same style as the ones you like, but the company donates one pair of shoes for every pair you buy. Lots of other cute ones, too. They are all I wear with pants and jeans now-well, except for sandals come summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tom's striped shoes

• golddust
    11 years ago

Oakley, I saw those comfie shoes you wanted at the aerosoles store yesterday. The blue ones are adorable

• Faron79
    11 years ago

Thought some of you Ladies might like this "All-in-one" shot...;-)
    (the studded ones kinda concern me though....)

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: Massed CL's...

• chispa
    11 years ago

I could have used the studded ones a few times during my early-twenties-NYC-nightclub days ... those studded shoes could do some damage to a creepy guy's shin!!!!

• Faron79
    11 years ago

Yeah-

Some of those spiked things look lethal!
    This pair seems just...painful....SEXY as hell...but painful-

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: The Spikes

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

you might like these, no spikes but you could call them heavy metal,

Here is a link that might be useful: heavy metal Jimmy Choos, only one grand

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Gold, the shoes came in today and I just love them! The colors are bright and they'll go with just about anything. Talk about comfort! I've never owned Aerosoles before but now I'm going to buy more.

I'm glad I read the reviews because I normally wear a "W" but they all said the shoe runs wide so I bought a "M." Great fit. Living in the country I have to go over all reviews with a fine tooth comb. lol

Very happy!

• golddust
    10 years ago

What color/colors did you end up with? Funny, I was with DH when I saw them in the window and said (excitedly), "There is the shoes
    Oakley is getting!" He 'knows' you. LOL

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Those shoes are pretty Mitch. I would wear those. From about April on till as long as I can get away with it, I rarely wear a full coverage shoe. It's sandals, mules, shoes with the toes out, etc. As little coverage as possible!!!

Can you tell my tootsies hate being covered?? LOL

tina

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know what you mean Tinam, I'm the same way.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

So funny! I mourn the last possible day I can wear boots, it's come and past ....now, I must baby the pedicure.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

You sound like my sister Bumble! She lives in boots from as soon in the fall as she can - till spring. It has to be really cold for me to wear certain winter clothes (fabrics) and boots fall in the same category. We normally have pretty mild winters although this yer was alittle coler than normal - but a short winter. I only wore boots a couple of times. I feel like my feet are smothered! LOL

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Gold, I got the navy with the multi-colored stripes. They'll be so "chic" looking when I'm out and about this summer while wearing my capris. LOL.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I had been looking for a "transitional" shoe -- between winter clogs/boots and sandals -- and ordered these. I really like them and they're very comfortable.

I also just bought a new pair of Merrell sneakers in anticipation of a trip in June to Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce. I don't know the name of the shoes, but they weigh almost nothing and feel like slippers! Love them.

Here is a link that might be useful: New shoes

• ms-thrifty
    10 years ago

These are a couple of my really lucky finds -aerosols the tan wedgies for around $10.00 last fall and the sandals lst week at Ross for 13.99

• ms-thrifty
    10 years ago

here are the sandals

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Sueb,
    If I hadn't sworn off black sandals, those would be great transitional shoes for me. I am very tempted by those. I have such a shoe problem after boots (Oct-April) before sandals.

Ms thrify,
    You name is accurate, what great shoes and such bargains.

Mitch,
    Your new pairs are both very nice *and* practical, a hard combo to find.

I am enjoying this thread and all the ideas. I'm trying to decide if I need anything new for my trip this summer. I test drove my old Naot sandals at the golf tournie last week - hours of standing and walking in warm-ish temperatures - and they did very well. So do I need new sandals? No. Do I want new sandals? Of course. Should I send the money on unnecessary sandals when I'll already be spending so much on my travels? Ahhh, there's the big question.

• ms-thrifty
    10 years ago

I love shoes-actually sort of collect them, and jackets. I do spend money on my running shoes, and comfy on my feet shoes, hiking shoes, etc. , but look for bargains for shoes that I only wear like out to lunch or dinner, special dress up events, etc. rest of time I wear comfy boots in cooler months, my Mini Tonka mocassins, and flip flops in warmer weather. Also keep a good quality pair of sneeker type shoes that I can wear with or without socks for year round wear. Am looking at the Dr. Schools on the 6pm site.