Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Do you have a keychain with your car keys?

User
10 years ago

I have the large vehicle key and house key on a ring, but took off decorative ones some time ago because it seemed too bulky. I think I'm going to add something small.

You?

Comments (30)

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I have my car key and a ton of those loyalty tags on my key ring. I've had decorative key rings in the past, but gave them up to reduce weight in my handbag.

• texanjana
    10 years ago

I have one that was a gift from a special friend. I've had it for several years and love it.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I just have a two part key chain -- the kind that comes apart so you can give your car keys to mechanics etc.

I don't have anything decorative. Heavy keychains are not good for ignition switches.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Oooh, that is so pretty texanjana.

Yes, I have several things hanging off my keys-plus I have A LOT of keys. I used to think it was a guy thing, but we have a lot of doors, all keyed differently-keys to 3 vehicles and keys to outbuildings. Plus I have a whistle/compass, and two decorative dealies-makes it easier to find in my purse. I used to have a keyless remote that held just one small key chain and I kept the rest in my purse, but I lost that somewhere so now I have the huge bunch.

• User
    10 years ago

My car has a push button ignition so I dont need a key for it. My house keys are attached to my purse.

• camlan
    10 years ago

My car key folds down into the remote fob for the doors. I carry that separately from my house keys, which are on a simple ring. I have the two keys for my house, and a key for my brother's house, and that's it. I like to travel light.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I also do not have a car that requires a key, so all I have is my house key and my son's house key on one of those plastic coils. Makes it easy to find just by feeling in my bag, although I am trying to improve my almost non-existent purse organizational skills by having one designated pocket where I always slip my keys. Still working on consistency. I am rather like dedtired when it comes to keys (see previous discussion).

:)

• dedtired
    10 years ago

The world is my key holder. Makes it difficult to find them most of the time!

I have my car key on a "ring" with keys to my house and my mom's house on one end. I can detach the car key to give to a valet or take off the house keys when I need to lighten the load. I used to have a loud whistle on one end when I worked in the city and parked in a scary garage. I took it off to again lighten the aforesaid load.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I just use a ring with keys to my Maine house and home house plus a car starter and keys to 3 cars.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I am still using a keychain I bought, on clearance for 50 cents, before I had my drivers permit. The design in the leather tab is worn smooth and barely visible after 37 (?) years of handling it. I only have 3 keys on it. I always keep it in a certain pocket of my purse.

For maybe 10 of the 37 years, I had a great clip on the key ring that was fabulous for holding notes & reminders or clipping to purses without a pocket. I found the original clip in a parking lot and was never able to replace it when it broke. I've tried multiple things but nothing as worked as well as the clip. And it was pretty. I miss that clip, it was perfection.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I used t have a decorative key ring with lots of keys that were used. It was heavy. After I had an oil change the guy giving me my keys back told me lighten it up because damage can happen due to the weight.

One chain is the car/house key. Another is other keys.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I have something like this on my key ring along with a small flashlight.

I had to take a self defense course with the police department to get it. You may be able to buy them without taking a class.

While it very bulky and will not fit nicely in a pocket it does make it much easy to find in your purse.

• bpath
    10 years ago

I have one ring with my car and house key, with a Minnie Mouse charm. My key for dh's car is on another ring with house key and Mickey Mouse charm. My parents' is on a third, with Goofy shrugging (as in, are they here, or at the vacation house?) When I had office keys I could clip them to my car keys during the week, detach for the weekend. Yipee!

I don't like carrying a huge thing of keys, these I can easily tuck in a pocket. I like the charms because it's easy to identify them, but they aren't bulky. And they remind me of our fun trip chaperoning the 8th grade band to DisneyWorld :)

• User
    10 years ago

I'm like Violet West, though mine is also has a spiral cord to stay attached to my purse.

TexasJana, that's a pretty keychain.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I have the spiral cord in colors so they can be found when my brain drops them where they don't belong. Plus having them on my wrist keeps them from being lost and at hand when shopping. There are two metal ones with memory charms saved.

Just recently I heard that only the car key should be on a key chain. Something to do with affecting the starter. Has anyone else heard this?

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Yes, I have a pewter piece that is approximately 1.5 x 1" that hangs from my key ring. My husband bought it for me many years ago on a vacation and I am very sentimental about it. I have a car key, a house key (just in case, we just the garage door to enter), a PO box key, a work office key and 4 small keys on my key ring.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

I also have a push button car, so my 'key thingy' stays in my purse. My problem is my house needs a key, so I keep the house key on the 'key thingy' and have to fish it out of my purse when I return home...a push button door lock would make me happy.

ML

• deniseandspike
    10 years ago

I have a split key ring with car key/fob and house key. All other keys are tagged with name and locked in key box mounted to back of closet door. We were warned at community meeting by police about carrying extra keys around and how they could be stolen. We lock up everything so it got confusing until we put labels on every one of them and got rid of ones we couldn't identify.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I don't know that newer ignitions would be damaged by the weight of key rings-older ignitions, that were flat could certainly strip with the weight, but newer ignitions sort of have a surround of sorts (hard to describe) that a key fits into-helps you to turn the ignition easier.

Todays car keys (if you even have a key!) are not as complicated as those in the old days. I notice fewer teeth-more smooth surfaces. Maybe it's just an "old guys thing:-too much stuff on the key ring can scratch the steering column. When the ignition was on the dash it would have been worse.

• redcurls
    10 years ago

Heavy key rings have been named as the cause of the current mess GM is having with ignitions turning off. It has caused numerous accidents (and something like 13 deaths) because the power steering is then lost and air bags are also not deployed. GM has already said NOT to have the key on a ring while they make the parts needed to fix the problem. They may even face CRIMINAL penalties for this problem. I think they said this has been a known problem for MANY MANY years!

QUOTE:While waiting for the fix: General Motors says your car is safe to drive. But it also says drivers shouldn't operate the cars with keys attached to heavy key rings.

It recommends drivers have nothing attached to the key while driving prior to the fix, and after, that they only attach the key to the electronic key fob.

This post was edited by redcurls on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 4:15

• oldfixer
    10 years ago

Just 5 keys and the remote thingy are enough. Today's keys are quite complicated electronic devices, and not cheap. If you lose one, make another back-up ASAP.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Technicolor, yes, that's what I was trying to say in my post. The mechanic is the one who told me that.

• User
    10 years ago

I have just my car key on it's fob and then another set of keys for the house.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Fob and one house key. Years ago, I had to have a car starter replaced. The repairman told me that having too many keys on a key chain would wear down the starter apparatus much quicker requiring fairly frequent starter replacement. He recommended that only one car key and one house key be maintained on the key ring.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

The starter is located in the engine compartment, its the easily replaced ignition that would be damaged. There are wires that go from the ignition switch to the starter, so keys should not impact the starter itself. Starters have moving parts (brushes) that wear easily

As to GMC, I take that with a grain of salt. Theyre looking for a way to cover their hind ends for failing to fix a known issue for years.

However, I commend those of you with minimal keys!

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

The starter is located in the engine compartment, its the easily replaced ignition that would be damaged. There are wires that go from the ignition switch to the starter, so keys should not impact the starter itself. Starters have moving parts (brushes) that wear easilyw

As to GMC, I take that with a grain of salt. Theyre looking for a way to cover their hind ends for failing to fix a known issue for years.

However, I commend those of you with minimal keys!

Edited to add checking Snopes indicates partial truth-the weight most people would carry on a key chain wont likely cause damage, but if you carried a ring with say 20 keys, you could damage the ignition.

• cold_weather_is_evil
    10 years ago

I'm working on getting rid of the gate key.

There's a benefit to being able to rekey one's own house. I painted someone's house and every external door (5) has a separate key, several has separate knob and deadbolt keys, and they all looked alike. Drove me nuts.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Total hijack here, but I lost my electronic car key with house key on it before Christmas. I knew it had fallen out of my pocket at work somewhere between the parking lot and the main doors. We had sooooo much snow this winter, I didn't have a hope of finding it. The school where I teach is in a very bad area of town and I've been worrying all this time that someone would find it and steal the car (and then find our address in the glove box and let themselves in our house). Not to mention the $350 replacement cost of the key. Well, it has finally started to melt here and as we were walking to the car yesterday, my daughter gave a yell, leaned down and picked the keys out of a half melted snow bank - and they still work!!!

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Daisychain,
    That is incredible that you found them! You're lucky today, go buy a lottery ticket.

• User
    10 years ago

The same thing happened to our daughter with her cell phone Daisychain. I'm glad you found it.