Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debrak2008

Mom needs stylus for Kindle, which one?

debrak2008
9 years ago

My elderly Mom is having some issues using her Kindle. It seems the issues come from her not touching the right spots on the screen. I'm thinking of getting her a stylus for Mother's Day.

I personally don't have any touchscreen devices so don't know much about them.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Comments (18)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I've tried lots of different ones and find that they all wear out over time, so now I buy the cheapest ones I can find. However, since it's a gift, I would buy the one that most closely matches the dimensions of your mother's favorite pen so that it is comfortable for her to hold.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

I have ordered these and shared them with my sisters. They work great.

I wouldn't pay much for a single stylus. They can't be that different.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stylus

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

My DH, the Ebay trinket buyer, got all of us the stylus that Red Lover shows for Christmas. He must have bought a bundle pack for a bargain. That could be nice so one could be laying around in a few places(kind of like readers!) It does the job for a small price.

Anyone need a flashlight, mace, a seat belt cutter? I could fix you up with one!

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

We have several but I've decided I don't like the ones that are short. I'd rather have one that is comparable to a pen because it feels more natural to me. The ones that redlover posted are only 41/2 inches - of course the trade off is that the price is uber reasonable.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I buy the ones that Red does. This time I bought various colors with tiny white polka dots on them. :) They do wear out, but they are extremely cheap, and you get quite a bit in a package.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

That's interesting. I have an ipad and a nook, but have never used a stylus. I can see where it might help your mom though. I like the idea of one that is like her favorite pen.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all the posts. She doesn't have a favorite pen and her writing skills have diminished. She has almost no use of her left hand so her right hand gets so much use it gets tired and achy.

Where would I find these locally? I can't say I have ever seen them in a store but then I never looked. If I can find some locally I might buy a few different ones and let her hold them to see which is the most comfortable??? Of course the pack that red_lover posted can't be beat for price.

I do like the idea it should be like a pen that is comfortable to hold.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Do you have a Best Buy or Staples? I've seen them there.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Target has them back with computers and electronics.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll check out Target and Best buy!

• straitlover
    9 years ago

I bought mine at Walgreens. They have a whole little section w/ styluses, USB charging thingees, etc.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I guess it's one if those items that is everywhere but easy to not notice when you're not in the market for it.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I can't use my ipad without my stylus. Well, I could, but with a stylus it's hard to tap the wrong link like you'd do with your fingers. Typing is a lot easier too.

A stylus also protects the screen because of the soft rubber at the tip.

• redcurls
    9 years ago

I like the BIRUGEAR ones Amazon sells (7/$10.99) or the COSMOS ones which are 3/$4.00. They both have a nice comfortable weight to them...some are too heavy; some too lightweight. I also did not like a couple I tried with a pen at one end.

I like to order a bunch of them at once and keep them in several locations....end table, car, purse, carry-on bag, etc.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went to Walgreens but all the ones they had were a combo stylus and pen. Mom is pretty sharp but I would still worry about her accidently using the pen on the Kindle instead of the stylus.

I then went to Best buy and purchased a stylus. There was only one. Not a combo and about the size of a pen.

I will give this to her on Mothers day and see how it works. I think in the future I will order them on line. Thank you all for the suggestions!

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I've never had a problem without a stylus, but maybe because I was used to an iphone before my ipad. Honestly, I don't type much on my ipad, I prefer my laptop for that. However, I do have the keyboard with the ipad. I think my fingertip is pretty soft. No scratches on my iphone or my ipad!

It's funny, as someone mentioned, these are not something you would probably notice (I haven't) in the store unless you are looking for them. I honestly don't know anyone who uses a stylus.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I ended up giving my Mother her stylus today. She called me again with Kindle issues so I just went over and gave it to her and showed her how to use it. Hopefully this will work out.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I hope it does work out for her. If it does, you can buy a few more for Mother's Day for her to have handy.