Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

My first framed painting

terezosa / terriks
12 years ago

You may remember that I took an abstract painting class a few months ago that I really enjoyed. I finished one of my paintings and framed it to give to my husband for his birthday:

Comments (27)

• hhireno
    12 years ago

Wow, I love it! Did he?

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

He had to. ;)

I gave it to him to hang in his office. He took it in and apparently some of his coworkers were surprised by who the artist was.

• User
    12 years ago

Wow! I really love that! I would be very happy to hang that on my wall. You should be very proud!

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

Terriks - it looks professional! Great job. How large is it?

• User
    12 years ago

Just beautiful. Lucky DH !! And you are very talented. c

• sweeby
    12 years ago

It's FABULOUS! He must be thrilled --

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think that with the mat and frame it is about 31 x 27.

I painted it on a piece of 30 x 22 watercolor paper, but cropped a few inches off one side.

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

That is seriously wonderful, Terri. I just hope he's not in the insurance industry...(JUST KIDDING!)

No, seriously, it's incredible. All you need is a good biographical narrative, some donating art to charity auctions etc. to get your name out, and Oregon Art Beat here we come! Can we say we knew you when? : )

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just hope he's not in the insurance industry...(JUST KIDDING!)

lol, hopefully nobody sees a devil in it.

Fly, I had thought about donating to charity events. I still need to get my butt in gear and set up a space in my house to paint.

BTW, I sent you an email through Gardenweb - I'm going to have some free time in Portland on the morning of Wednesday the 25th if you wanted to meet for coffee.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

Wow, excellent work! I love it.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

Simply smashing terriks!

• les917
    12 years ago

A wonderful piece!

• yayagal
    12 years ago

As a trained painter and sculptor myself, I can say with complete honesty that you have a natural eye for line and composition so you should continue your obvious passion as you definitely have the talent. A nice site for you to visit would be WetCanvas.com where you can register and post your work and get critiques from some of the best. It's fun to do but just to watch the site you'll learn so much. I love looking at the critiques, never too old to learn something new. Keep it up!!!

• natesgram
    12 years ago

You have such talent. It's simply beautiful.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Wow! I love it!

• OllieJane
    12 years ago

I love it too! I have looked and looked and don't see a devil in it???

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The devil reference is to a previous thread I made where I posted the other paintings that I worked on during the 2 weekend workshop I took. Someone here thought they saw a devil in one of them.

Thanks for the compliments. Especially yaya, it means a lot to me to hear that from a trained artist. I know that I like it, though I know that abstract is not everyone's cup of tea. I really enjoy painting, but when I'm done I'm not even sure how I did it! I just sort of start with a general idea and add and subtract from it.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Impressive, and beautiful! I LOVE it!!!

• User
    12 years ago

Terriks - I waited all day to be able to see the picture (saw the post but the pic wouldn't show until I got home). It is absolutely beautiful! My mind doesn't work that way for the creative process, but I really like abstract art. It's so wonderful, also, to be the recipient of an original piece. Your lucky, lucky DH! I'm going back to find your other thread because I wasn't able to see those pix either at the time. Keep painting - and showing!

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's the other thread. The second painting in that thread was the start of the finished framed painting.

Here is what it looked like before I finished it:

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

Terri, I'd love to meet! I'm available on the 25th. I haven't seen your e-mail -- when did you send it? I'll also check the e-mail address that's connected here to make sure it's the current one (frontier).

And the insurance industry joke was because I seem to see a car falling off a cliff and breaking into pieces as it crashes on the rocks...but hey, that's just me : ) It's a gorgeous piece and doesn't look like that at all.

Re the donating to charity auctions: I learned about that ingenious tactic from my mosaic art lists. It's a great way to get your name out locally with folks who are inclined to purchase art, if you don't have an institution (say, an art school) backing you, and you can also deduct it from your taxes in some way (NTBTA tax advice -- I don't remember it exactly but it's something to look into).

I'm going to check out that wetcanvas site too, yaya!

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Fly, send me an email through the site.

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

Done : ) And as much as I like the early version, I like the finished version more--you have *such* a way with color, girl!

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Great job Terriks!!!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Very, very nice job! I think it is wonderful.

• francypants
    12 years ago

That's just fabulous! For some reason, this is the first time the pic on your post showed up for me. I kept on trying and was finally lucky.

• User
    12 years ago

Thank you for showing me the original. Amazing to see how a quite rectilinear image became so fluid. What medium is it?

(I'm fascinated with people's ability to convert a mental image into something visual or tactile.)