Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellendi_gw

My surgery update

ellendi
10 years ago

Brain tumor 100 percent benign and I will get back all my peripheral vision!
My story: went for routine eye exam and took an optional Visual Field test. I failed it in my right eye. Went to neuro ophthalmologist so I could get MRI referral.
MRI showed a tumor that was interfering with my peripheral visions. Though I personally noticed no symptoms .
As you all know surgery was yesterday. The only down side is that the tumor did break through the membrane so I have headaches and if course am dizzy.
Thank you all for your prayers and support. I know it was just the extra I needed!

Comments (60)

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

You've been in my thoughts - such good news!

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Wonderful!

Such good news!

ML

• golddust
    10 years ago

Wow!! Just wow! I'm so happy to hear everything went well and here you are typing away. I thought of you all day yesterday and am thrilled to hear the good news.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

So happy for you. I'll have to say a few prayers of thanks.

• anitamo
    10 years ago

So glad it was benign! Let the healing begin!

• roarah
    10 years ago

Oh you deserve a big vacation after the stress of the last few months! I am so happy it all turned out well! Relax, breath and enjoy a wonderfully healthy spring!

• cooperbailey
    10 years ago

Benign is a beautiful word!

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

YAY!!! So happy to hear. How brave you were!

Beth P.

• ellendi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sueb this test was optional and the last time I took it was in 2009. If course I always have my daughters take it every year!

• texanjana
    10 years ago

What a frightening ordeal. I am so happy for the great prognosis, and am praying for your continuing recovery.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Wonderful news! And you're back checking in with us already - amazing! I recently took that visual field test - it's very obvious when peripheral vision is being impacted.

• kelpmermaid
    10 years ago

Fantastic! Keep healing!

• User
    10 years ago

Congratulations--- good news, must be an I describable relief. I am very happy at your good outcome!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Wow, how frightening to go through. So glad to hear it is benign! Amazing recovery already! Hope you are not in pain. Sending good energies your way!

• ellendi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. This place had been such an extra support and escape for me. So nice to jump on at any time for a fun distraction.
    Going home to tomorrow!

• funkyart
    10 years ago

Indeed-- what a frightening experience but glad the news was good and that will be able to go home soon.. thoughts are with you!!

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I can't even imagine the stress and worry you were going through. I'm so happy for you!

• mom2girls_2008
    10 years ago

What wonderful news! Enjoy a speedy recovery!

• hhireno
    10 years ago

What great news! Good for you.

Note to self: ask for the peripheral vision test every time I'm at the eye doctor.

I don't mean to be rude but can I ask, how did they access the tumor? Did they have to shave some of your hair?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

So glad everything is alright and you are going home soon!

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Glad you're okay! You must be so relieved!

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

Glad to hear this, ellendi- great news! I hope the headaches and dizziness go away very soon.

• ellendi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hhireno, at Sloan Kettering(which does benign tumors too)would have shaved where the tumor was located but at Columbia Presbyterian, my doctor does the operation like a plastic surgeon and goes between the hair follicles! Then I received about 20 or so staples which will be removed next Thursday!

• golddust
    10 years ago

I had a girlfriend with a benign brain tumor. The Dr thinks they got it all and it won't come back? Benign or not, this is still serious and concerning.

• springroz
    10 years ago

I am so glad to hear you are OK!!

• ellendi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If they get it all, it's a done deal. I guess my next question should be statistics of growing another one. Will ask that next week.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Between the hair follicles - that is amazing.

• ms-thrifty
    10 years ago

Glad to hear it was not malignant and wishing you a very speedy back to your normal self.

• ellendi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Final updated. Discharged this afternoon and I am now home! :)

• golddust
    10 years ago

Welcome home. It's amazing how well you are doing!! You are a soldier.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Wow, that you are back posting so soon! Great news and best of luck in your recovery.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

So glad you are home so soon...that's wonderful and it must feel good to be home.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I love happy endings. Glad you are well.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Indeed good news; all the best for your convalescence !
    keep us updated your progress !

• User
    10 years ago

I'm sorry I missed your original post but am so happy that you are okay. Thank goodness you caught it, get well soon!

• theroselvr
    10 years ago

I haven't been around & missed your other post. Glad everything went well! ~Hugs

Columbia Presbyterian looks fabulous for tumors from what I've seen. I saw them on one of the shows; gal had a large cancerous tumor; they could not promise her that she would have functions associated with that location. Surgery was a success. I've always wanted to follow up on it but have not.

• chickadee2_gw
    10 years ago

Congratulations! I'm so happy to hear you're okay and back home already. What a terrifying experience that must have been.

• melsouth
    10 years ago

It really is great that you felt like posting so soon, wow!
    Best wishes!

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

I am happy beyond belief for you. What an amazing recovery! My dad had brain surgery and was in the hospital for 3 months.

Benign is my favorite word.

Many blessings on your recovery!!!!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

Great news - so happy it is benign!

• ellendi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. I love how this place is open 24/7.
    The best supportive group.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I just saw and posted on the other thread. Sorry I didn't see this one first. Glad you are doing well and hope the headaches and dizziness will calm down for you. The human body has amazing ways of dealing with things.

My first sone was born on a Friday and I crashed later that morning -- which only served to add more drama, to the point of ridiculousness, to the fact that DH's ex was having surgery on a brain tumor on Monday. At least I was out of ICU by then, but my reason for including this aside was that hers was large but completely benign and my oldest will be 20 this summer. More wishes for a smooth recovery!

• satine_gw
    10 years ago

ellendi, I have been away so just saw the posts regarding your surgery and want to add my well wishes to all the others who have posted. You have always been so supportive to me and others so we are all sending our support to you. So thankful that the tumor was benign and hope that the resulting issues will resolve and you'll be headache free soon. Keep us updated when you can. Satine

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Ellendi, any updates on how you're recovering?

• yayagal
    10 years ago

You are one of the lucky ones and boy am I glad. Life is so mysterious when it comes to the outcome. In my belief system you're here for a reason. Now enjoy life to the max.

• ellendi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for asking. Today, one week and a day after surgery, I am going for my post op doctor visit to remove the staples.
    I am still foggy and slow, but no pain at all. I have been doing things around the house (with help) like laundry and making dinner. It feels good to accomplish something.
    I just have to rest after each activity.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Sounds like you're doing great! Keep up the good work!

• ellendi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

:)Everything turned out well today.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

So glad to hear it! You've been through the darkest part of the tunnel and are into the light on the other side!

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

So glad to hear you are home and doing some activities. Hope your recovery continues to come along well.