Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
4boys2

Waterlogue

4boys2
9 years ago

I'm so in love with all the waterlogue photos.
I think I'm at the edge of buying an ipad just to be able to take photos.
Have any waterlogues your willing to share ???

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=waterlogue

Comments (54)

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I wonder what would happen if you tried to print it from a regular printer (at home) on watercolor paper, or just heavier stock-type paper? Just curious. Maybe I'll try it myself!

Pictures I take with my iPad never come out well, but I have transferred pics taken with my iPhone to my iPad and used Waterlogue from there. If that makes sense...

• Danahills
    9 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 19:09

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

My dog...

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Everglades pic

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Sunflowers

• Danahills
    9 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 19:21

• awm03
    9 years ago

If you have a pc, there's a very nice free program called Fotosketcher that turns photos into art.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fotosketcher examples here

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Hire no, that you for that additional info and I hope you will report back with pictures of your pictures. I love this app!

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Never heard of this-- gorgeous!!

• awm03
    9 years ago

a morning glory via Fotosketcher:

• awm03
    9 years ago

This is so much fun, I'm neglecting a big pile of laundry ;)

• awm03
    9 years ago

We can't print our masterpieces on regular ol' copy paper, now, can we...

$15.41 buys you a ten-pack of cotton fiber based art paper for ink jets. Shipping extra.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canson ink jet art paper from Blick Art Supply

• sallymo2015
    9 years ago

I posted this in another entry about waterlogue. I've had the best time with it, and love watching it do the paintings. I want to try another photo of our house after everything is green. This pic was from the fall.

• 4boys2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Amw~ Is your lighthouse also Fotosketcher?
    I've just downloaded it !
    I don't have time to play with it now but I'm sure I will be shopping for that paper as soon as I get a good pic.

Those animal photos are just amazing .

• User
    9 years ago

This is my sweet Baby Kitty - I loved her so much.
    This really captured her spirit and the way she always looked into my eyes.
    She crossed the Rainbow Bridge on 1/23/14 :-(
    It's is my screen saver now.

This post was edited by PresDuLac on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 9:55

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Omg sallymo, that picture is beautiful! Which filter did you use?

Here is a Waterlogue of the spring picture I posted last week. While the original photo is lovely, this one is waterlogued!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

And here is our pal Charlie:

• awm03
    9 years ago

Yes, fourboystoo, Fotosketcher. I'd never tried it before, but over in a digital photo forum I like to read, the artsy/digital imaging crowd was raving about it. Below is a short video tutorial. One tip, if you have a newer camera that takes huge photo files, resize your files to a smaller size to make it work faster. You can do this easily within Fotosketcher. Large photo files can take many minutes. On the other hand, if you plan to print 8 x 11 or larger, stick with the large file size for better resolution.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fotosketcher

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Unfortunately fotosketcher doesn't work with macs.
    :(

But that is so neat...I may have to spring for waterlogue. Of course, what I really want is to be able to paint to create those beautiful images myself....

• awm03
    9 years ago

True about Fotosketcher, AnnieD. I only mentioned it as an alternative because we non-Apple people (iNots?) can't use Waterlogue -- not for pc's, Android,or Kindle. And after seeing these luscious pictures, who would want to be left out of the fun!

Love looking at everybody's creations. Wouldn't these be fabulous to print on a greeting or thank you card? Also will be a nice variation for my digital picture frame besides regular photos.

Forboystoo, thanks for mentioning Waterlogue. You've opened up some new possibilities.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Almost all of my pics are on my mac...what would be the best way to get them onto my ipad to use waterlogue?

• Danahills
    9 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 19:22

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

And another one

• awm03
    9 years ago

Beautiful, gibby.

• sis3
    9 years ago

Here's one of my first attempts.

• sis3
    9 years ago

And another.

• sis3
    9 years ago

Giant Bird of Paradise bloom.

• awm03
    9 years ago

Gloomy 49 degree day here in CT. Still no leaves on the trees . We don't have great springs here, it's more like winter lite. I'm starved for color! These pictures are a relief from a a vista of gray bark and bare branches.

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

Thank you SO much for bringing this up. I had no idea that these programs even existed, but I'm intrigued. Having recently returned from England, I've got a load of new photos that would be perfect candidates for this sort of artistic treatment. The photos posted in this thread are absolutely lovely.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

jstell, apparently my imac is on older software so I can't use icloud.

How do I plug the ipad into the imac? Is there a cable I need? I just checked and I don't see a cable that came with the mac or the ipad....

TIA!

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

Annie,
    Why not just send the pic on your Mac to yourself in an email to your ipad.

• blubird
    9 years ago

Here's my Kallie when she was a pup almost 2 years ago. Done on my iPad with iPhoto app.

Helene

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Annie, if you have an early iPad, use the cable that you use to charge your iPad. Pull the plug off and you'll have a usb connector. Your MAC should have an usb port.

ML

• Danahills
    9 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 19:24

• Danahills
    9 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 19:25

• Danahills
    9 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 19:27

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

maddielee, that's excellent! I never knew that...never pulled the thing apart before. Thanks so much!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Wow...I've been playing with waterlogue and have been having such a good time.

It looks like the higher contrast colors work better, detail not so much. Still they've come out pretty good. I think I can upload to shutterfly and then have them turned into notecards. Very cool!

Original:

Waterlogued

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Original:

Waterlogued:

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I love it and will definitely download! I have several pictures of alleyways/doorways I took in NC and this will add a real sense of their true beauty, since a 'plain picture' doesn't do it for me. Will make them frameable for sure!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Original

Waterlogued

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

>Unfortunately fotosketcher doesn't work with macs.

Annie, check out Auto Painter Express for macs. Not free, but I think it's only about $6 in the app store.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

It's not a free app, it's $2.99, but IMO, well worth it. DD will be moving into her new home next month, and may just be getting some new wall art!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Hi, patty_cakes. Sorry I wasn't clear. I was comparing Auto Painter for mac to Fotosketcher for windows, not saying that waterlogue is free. There's an app store for macs, too, not just the one for iOS. Waterlogue is great, but if you want to work only on a mac without sending stuff back and forthâ¦

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

I am on a laptop, so tried the free Fotosketcher that awm03 mentioned above. I didn't read any directions, just converted this pic of Riley looking cute after a recent grooming. I can't wait to try it on florals, etc!

Before -

After Fotosketcher -

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Of the output of the 3 used here, I have to say, I do like waterlogue the best...it looks more hand painted water color. Fotosketcher to me looks more like it would've been done in oils.

I wonder if there's a way of transferring the computerized images onto canvas and then doing a "paint by number" kind of thing to get a real painting....

• sallymo2015
    9 years ago

Awww, that's such a sweet picture of Riley, it's a perfect shot for using fotosketcher. Definitely needs a frame!

• 4boys2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awm~ I still don't have time to play with it yet(12 hr work days)
    But I intend to soon.
    I ordered the rag paper as well.
    I think I might try a texture medium over the print to see if I can get a paint-like finish.
    Annie~ funny you mentioned paint-by-numbers.I've enjoyed them since I was a child. Hard to find good ones these days :(

• awm03
    9 years ago

forboystoo, hope you find it relaxing to play with. What do you do that entails a 12 hour work day?

Fotosketcher: I did use the oil paint mode in the lighthouse picture, so if it looks like an oil painting, that's good!